Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pistol_Pete posted:

What do you think his real reason is then.

Why does Ross Russia, the largest friend country, not simply eat the other friends countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

If nato had agreed to Ukraine never joining he would of said "but how do I know you're not going to counterattack if I attack Ukraine. How about I attack Ukraine to test your resolve to not counterattack if I attack Ukraine"

He's been preparing a full scale invasion for months, years including all the propaganda and poo poo

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Well, it took longer than I thought, but it looks like Threads is finally going to be a documentary.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Blaming Nato is 100% victim blaming and comes straight from the Putin disinformation book. There's a lot of disinformation being pumped into our feeds, so it's easy for people to adopt propaganda such as this. The other thread is a great place to lurk and educate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Russia is not a friend of the left and arguably never has been.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Russia is not a friend of the left and arguably never has been.

Yup, and it saddens me that so many people on the left think Russia is their friend, and digest anything from RT/Sputnik news as gospel.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
It's mad we had Putin on TV straight up saying Ukraine doesn't exist, never has, and is Russia, but people are still pulling the "this is just because they were trying to join NATO" bollocks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Lol the hand-cranked air-raid siren I bought as a joke last week arrived yesterday and now I'm wondering just how much chaos I could cause with it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bustin keaton posted:

It's mad we had Putin on TV straight up saying Ukraine doesn't exist, never has, and is Russia, but people are still pulling the "this is just because they were trying to join NATO" bollocks.

I find it hard to accept anybody ever truly believed Putin was actually worried about the West invading Russia.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol the hand-cranked air-raid siren I bought as a joke last week arrived yesterday and now I'm wondering just how much chaos I could cause with it.

Maybe don't.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Yup, and it saddens me that so many people on the left think Russia is their friend, and digest anything from RT/Sputnik news as gospel.

I honestly think we're overestimating how many leftists think that. From what I've seen it's just a handful of nobodies and dimwits, but they're getting a lot of screen time from people dunking on them.

It's a lot more common on the right. The Russian strategy of funding far right groups is paying dividends now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Are you ready for some HOT TAKES?

https://twitter.com/JonMarcStanley/status/1496626558437576704

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp96Bdvhgw4

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bug Squash posted:

I honestly think we're overestimating how many leftists think that.

I'm basing my point of view from observing my social media feed. It's certainly not a majority of leftists, but it's a significant amount.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Do it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If nothing else you can use it for quasi-musical purposes like Mary Bendy Toy.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
At some point, somehow, the water supply got knocked out by the storms, it's my long weekend and this is kinda loving me over a bit, i wanted to bathe and shave today. Can I boil spring water in a kettle or will it wreck things, is it possible to boil enough water from a spring in the kettle to get a hot bath?

Any other suggestions for getting clean without mains water?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Can't wait until Ben Wallace and his boys make their landing in Crimea, going to turn this whole thing around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds like someone woke the RAF up, got jet roars over here.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

fuctifino posted:

I'm basing my point of view from observing my social media feed. It's certainly not a majority of leftists, but it's a significant amount.

QAnon types love RT too. There's a whole weird cross-section of hippie woo merchants who have ultra right wing ideology now - bought together first by qanon now by anti-vax poo poo. Think - Piers Corbyn. A very thick thin end of a very weird wedge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buries the lede a bit, I think.

https://twitter.com/JonMarcStanley/status/1496630640141340678

Possibly the most absurd political take I have heard in the last... oh week at least. Give him a column in the guardian.

Also need to photoshop that "Ireland, our Cuba?" poster to "Ireland, world's Russia?"

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Sounds like you've got some purging to do. If someone is falling hook line and sinker for RT then their not worth your time.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bug Squash posted:

Sounds like you've got some purging to do. If someone is falling hook line and sinker for RT then their not worth your time.

None of these are friends of mine, but I'm observing other friends' interactions with people on their friends list.

My own immediate circle has had multiple purges that would make Stalin proud.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More jets, guess they must have them on patrol over the north sea or something.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
People have also found themselves arguing under different frameworks - Mearsheimer saying that Russia's actions are 'because of NATO' are descriptive, not prescriptive. That's a Realist framework (and not the only one especially if you think that Putin is a fundamentally irrational actor).

It's also completely orthogonal to a normative ethical framework, which IR theorists aren't necessarily concerning themselves with. Saying that 'a certain set of circumstances makes another set of circumstances more likely' is just looking at events in a causal chain, not attempting to say who is morally culpable.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

At some point, somehow, the water supply got knocked out by the storms, it's my long weekend and this is kinda loving me over a bit, i wanted to bathe and shave today. Can I boil spring water in a kettle or will it wreck things, is it possible to boil enough water from a spring in the kettle to get a hot bath?

Any other suggestions for getting clean without mains water?

Bathing in it should be fine, but boiling enough for a full bath will take *forever*. It's wartime, have a hip bath.

(Boiling spring water, as long as it's visibly clean, should be absolutely fine. If not filter it first, get a supermarket knockoff Brita filter, line the upper chamber with an old t-shirt or tea towel. Goes without saying you should filter and boil any water you're going to be drinking or cooking with, including any that comes out of the tap for a day or two after it comes back on)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh good, Yank liberals have leaked into the thread.

IMO you should have to deal with the fascists in your own country before you are allowed to use fascists in other countries as a paper thin casus belli. But sadly what I think doesn't matter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh apparently it's a yank F15 doing donuts over the moors.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Eagerly awaiting some of the hottakes from the more radical wing of the Scottish indy left today. I suspect that they will be especially insane.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Buries the lede a bit, I think.

https://twitter.com/JonMarcStanley/status/1496630640141340678

Possibly the most absurd political take I have heard in the last... oh week at least. Give him a column in the guardian.

Also need to photoshop that "Ireland, our Cuba?" poster to "Ireland, world's Russia?"

Hard to get mad at loony Unionist takes, they're just so loving stupid. I guess if I was up in Belfast and had these weirdos up in my face on a regular basis it would be more galling, but as it stands I read this stuff like :hmmyes:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

More jets, guess they must have them on patrol over the north sea or something.

USAF jets currently patrolling the east coast, no RAF according to FR24. There's also a couple of tankers from Mildenhall orbiting just west of Ukraine so possibly some long-range recon missions taking off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.flightradar24.com/GY61/2aec5951

I don't know what this guy has against the dales but I hope people over there are alright. I had some nutters decide to showboat over ullswater once when I went there and I nearly fell out of my rowboat it was that loud.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bug Squash posted:

I honestly think we're overestimating how many leftists think that. From what I've seen it's just a handful of nobodies and dimwits, but they're getting a lot of screen time from people dunking on them.

It's a lot more common on the right. The Russian strategy of funding far right groups is paying dividends now.

I think it's a lot more than you think.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Should probably have agreed never to join NATO while they had the chance, huh.

Get hosed

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 24, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

USAF jets currently patrolling the east coast, no RAF according to FR24. There's also a couple of tankers from Mildenhall orbiting just west of Ukraine so possibly some long-range recon missions taking off.

Nice that the RAF lads get to have a lie-in

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ravel posted:

People have also found themselves arguing under different frameworks - Mearsheimer saying that Russia's actions are 'because of NATO' are descriptive, not prescriptive. That's a Realist framework (and not the only one especially if you think that Putin is a fundamentally irrational actor).

It's also completely orthogonal to a normative ethical framework, which IR theorists aren't necessarily concerning themselves with. Saying that 'a certain set of circumstances makes another set of circumstances more likely' is just looking at events in a causal chain, not attempting to say who is morally culpable.

Sir this is a McDonalds.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have to laugh at the tweets showing the queues outside Kiev petrol stations, poo poo was worse here when a couple of tanker drivers got covid.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Have to laugh at the tweets showing the queues outside Kiev petrol stations, poo poo was worse here when a couple of tanker drivers got covid.

Yeah terrified people fleeing a military invasion is hilarious

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis posted:

Yeah terrified people fleeing a military invasion is hilarious

Yes, I'm definitely pointing at and mocking the Ukrainians, not the idiot hell fuckers that inhabit this island, you've got me bang to rights there.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

poo poo was worse here

i think its this bit that sounds a little... cloth eared?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ravel posted:

Yeah, this is all very true. If you see this as fundamentally a conflict between two power blocs (NATO and a resurgent Russia), with Ukraine caught in the middle, your thinking is going to be starting from a different place to somebody who views it as fundamentally a case of Russian aggression, with the NATO question being at most a supporting justification. I don't consider people who take the Russian aggression view to be NATO apologists any more than I'm a Russian stooge for viewing the current events as the latest consequence of three decades of geopolitical conflict over this region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1496775036069617665