Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

- A very Hard and Clever man

E: The Tupolev Tu- 95 (Russian: Туполев Ту-95; NATO reporting name: "Bear") is a large, four-engine turboprop-powered strategic bomber and missile platform, and James Cleverly is not afraid of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think its this bit that sounds a little... cloth eared?

You would, because you're a fuckwit OP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

goddamnedtwisto posted:

not the idiot hell fuckers that inhabit this island,

The people of Ukraine? Fuckem, here's what could happen to people who actually matter.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hard to get mad at loony Unionist takes, they're just so loving stupid. I guess if I was up in Belfast and had these weirdos up in my face on a regular basis it would be more galling, but as it stands I read this stuff like :hmmyes:

He's Scottish, and Chairman of the Scottish Unionists which makes it more hilarious.
I can understand if it was from someone from East Belfast, whose only knowledge of Ireland is from the football chants at Linfield.
But this dude, is living in Edinburgh, probably surrounded in anti-brexit poo poo, and still thinks the Irish are oppressors.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

He's Scottish, and Chairman of the Scottish Unionists which makes it more hilarious.
I can understand if it was from someone from East Belfast, whose only knowledge of Ireland is from the football chants at Linfield.
But this dude, is living in Edinburgh, probably surrounded in anti-brexit poo poo, and still thinks the Irish are oppressors.

Oh yeah sorry, I got that he was Scottish Unionist, I was just drawing the imaginary line in my head between their 2 incestuous brands of dipshittery. Either way, absolute wasteman

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

99.99999999999999% he is a Rangers fan.

RT currently broadcasting a "documentary" about Spetsnaz do that's normal

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Overminty posted:

The people of Ukraine? Fuckem, here's what could happen to people who actually matter.

I'll confess I'm not really paying attention to news at the moment, this thread is basically my line to what's going on in the outside world, but like... are we involved in this war at all? The Home Front? Does this involve us in the slightest or is this more deranged liberal shite?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Surprise T Rex posted:

I'll confess I'm not really paying attention to news at the moment, this thread is basically my line to what's going on in the outside world, but like... are we involved in this war at all? The Home Front? Does this involve us in the slightest or is this more deranged liberal shite?

Higher petrol prices... if you have stock market investments, they're going to go down for a bit... apart from that nothing, really.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Surprise T Rex posted:

No, but we love to fantasise. Bring back da Blitz spirit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I am aware the UK is not planning any military intervention, nor is anybody else for that matter, and the UK is frankly anaemic in their willingness to take economic action as well despite being host to quite a lot of assets of wealthy and influential russian nationals.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I am aware the UK is not planning any military intervention, nor is anybody else for that matter, and the UK is frankly anaemic in their willingness to take economic action as well due to being host to quite a lot of assets of wealthy and influential russian nationals.

FTFY, because let's be real here.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I am aware the UK is not planning any military intervention, nor is anybody else for that matter, and the UK is frankly anaemic in their willingness to take economic action as well despite being host to quite a lot of assets of wealthy and influential russian nationals.

The disjoint between the frenzied government rhetoric and their blank refusal to stop taking cash from Russian oligarchs is quite a thing.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ahaha our country is bought and paid for by Russian billionaires. The PM will shake his head, and the liberal media will tut tut. gently caress all will happen.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1496615440205987846

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Less brakes on the Russian rouble train to the City was one of the main arguments for brexit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Ahaha our country is bought and paid for by Russian billionaires. The PM will shake his head, and the liberal media will tut tut. gently caress all will happen.

Actually, I think you'll find that quite a lot will happen, because this is a perfect situation to purge and delegitimise the left. Even as we do gently caress all internationally, domestic politics is going to reach new heights of frenzied insanity.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

We support the government in laundering Russian and Saudi money through the city and property markets but the current measures don't go far enough!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Only in the sense that the UK is a member of the military alliance that was formed to oppose Russia, Russia is invading a neighbour, and Russia also has neighbours that are in the same alliance as the UK that are looking nervously to their own borders now (most relevantly Latvia, which is trying to call a NATO formal consultation as it does every time Russia gets belligerent). As of now there’s no reason to think that this will lead to a wider conflict that involves NATO and nobody on the NATO side agitating for a military response beyond “maybe get ready in case Russia does this to a NATO member next.” It’s also possible this drives Finland closer to NATO membership.

The UK has no ability to act independently on any of this and the FO would do us all a favour by shutting the gently caress up and releasing bland statements like “we stand with our NATO allies and condemn the invasion of Ukraine,” but Tories gonna pretend it’s still 1864 I guess.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

forkboy84 posted:

99.99999999999999% he is a Rangers fan.

This is slander.

Might be Hearts.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Phil_Jones01/status/1496753337664143362

:toot:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Look, if you wanted to win you should have ticked the "rich dad" box at character creation

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been out of the country a week: has anything notable happened in the meantime (not Ukraine; I get that)?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Overminty posted:

Is this one pro or anti wood stove?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

happyhippy posted:

The take is so dumb my brain just flips into "has to be a parody" no matter how many people think it isn't.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Guavanaut posted:

Is this one pro or anti wood stove?

Hate to be that guy but I've been out of the thread for weeks and don't get this. Has the telegraph been on a mission about wood stoves lately?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

endlessmonotony posted:

The take is so dumb my brain just flips into "has to be a parody" no matter how many people think it isn't.

Idiot prods are indistinguishable from parody.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't noticed any particular wood stove discourse but I also don't read the telegraph, am curious too though to hear the tales of the front lines in the wood stove conflict.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wasn't expecting to wake up to ground invasion of Ukraine. Thought he'd stick to Donbas. Been funny watching Johnson try and act like NATO gives a poo poo about what he has to say about it though.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Obviously I don't actually want it to happen because mass death and all that, but sometimes I do very much feel like I'm the long term the UK would benefit from being on the losing side of a particularly vicious war, if only to knock the weirdo boomer larpers down a peg or two

Surprise T Rex posted:

Lol no this is just the telegraph wanking from the sidelines and not even trying to hide it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Obviously I don't actually want it to happen because mass death and all that, but sometimes I do very much feel like I'm the long term the UK would benefit from being on the losing side of a particularly vicious war, if only to knock the weirdo boomer larpers down a peg or two

Lol no this is just the telegraph wanking from the sidelines and not even trying to hide it

We already had Afghanistan, didn't we?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Overminty posted:

Hate to be that guy but I've been out of the thread for weeks and don't get this. Has the telegraph been on a mission about wood stoves lately?
They've been back and forth on "Heat pump installer: I use all wood stoves to heat my own home because heat pumps are babby garbage" and "Senior Michael Gove aide when Michael Gove was relevant to the environment: wood stoves are worse than traffic and kill children" in their sponsored articles with enough regularity that it must be some kind of internal culture war on top of the usual clickbait both sides.

Also the level of scientific literacy isn't great...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Darth Walrus posted:

We already had Afghanistan, didn't we?

I mean not really, the UK itself was never remotely threatened and we never had the taliban marching down the streets of Birmingham, much though certain right wing figures would have you believe otherwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea that losing a war badly necessitates a sense of self reflection is not borne out historically.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Boomers are currently living through yet another war, and if the shock wave from a jet doing practice runs knocks one of their bins over then by god there will be an article about avocado toast and how easy we non-boomers have it before the sun sets

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

The idea that losing a war badly necessitates a sense of self reflection is not borne out historically.

Revanchism is far more likely from past experience.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Total Meatlove posted:

This is slander.

Might be Hearts.

Partick Thistle

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What the hell is that gibberish

E: the heat pump stuff

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I need to play more Crusader Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Very true but I'd still like to see their dumb pink faces explode