Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Antonov International Airport is there: https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...57!4d30.2073829

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

NATO have activated their defence plans, whatever that means (no I'm not suggesting that NATO will be getting involved in any way)

DaysBefore posted:

Is it? Haven't the Ukrainians already lost Kharkiv? I'm genuinely asking because obviously everything is very confused and up in the air right now but it kinda feels like Russia is just rolling through

It's very easy to drive tanks on nice open roads. It's not easy to take the actual cities, and as far as I've seen that hasn't happened yet. Kharkiv may very well be under siege shortly, but that doesn't mean that Russia controls it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yes, just to the North.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Military contractor HQ was blown up an hour ago in the dead centre of Kyiv

https://twitter.com/Horesmi/status/1496795942510637057

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lmao, I'm gonna turn off all the radiators in my apartment now because I literally don't know what else to do about this poo poo. I think I'm finally crack pinning over here, didn't think the day would come so soon. Goodbye sweet sanity

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zero to Chamberlain in twelve hours. Impressive.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GABA ghoul posted:

At some point all this insane poo poo is gonna get bogged down in bloody close quarter urban fighting and at some point someone in the Putinbunker is gonna have to have to make a decision if they want to continue with the meat grinder or stick to what they have so far and they gonna make a pro and cons list in their mind and nowhere in their cons lost will there be the fear of economic damage to the motherland from Europe

I'd like you to be right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FishBulbia posted:

There is heavy fighting around Kharkiv. Russian forces are so far unopposed in the south. Interior ministry has confirmed VDV landing at airport outside Kyiv.

Isn’t the south mostly Russia friendlyish steppe lands that can just be easily encircled. It would make some sense if they don’t put as much resources defending that and more into defending stuff that can hold out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/official_texts_192404.htm

NATO statement. About as much as you could hope for.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Isn’t the south mostly Russia friendlyish steppe lands that can just be easily encircled. It would make some sense if they don’t put as much resources defending that and more into defending stuff that can hold out.

Problem is if the Ukrainians have their forces east of the Dnipro and the Russians are already across, they're now irrelevant because there's very little blocking Russian movements westward.

I don't know if that's the situation, but it's an alarming possibility.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

literally apocolyptic battles going on north of kyiv right now. Air battle over the city

unreal

never thought this would happen

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496814689547870211

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Problem is if the Ukrainians have their forces east of the Dnipro and the Russians are already across, they're now irrelevant because there's very little blocking Russian movements westward.

I don't know if that's the situation, but it's an alarming possibility.

Yeah but now it’s gonna get into ugly as gently caress city fighting.

FishBulbia posted:

literally apocolyptic battles going on north of kyiv right now. Air battle over the city

unreal

never thought this would happen

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496814689547870211

Christ, never thought I’d see call of duty type horror big battles in Europe in my lifetime.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
They look really low and shootable. I know US doctrine is to stay a lot higher to stay out of range of AA and SAM's - clearly they don't care.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
We'll see how long it takes Putin to find and execute Zelensky with some precision bombing. I hope he's good at hide and seek.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah but now it’s gonna get into ugly as gently caress city fighting.

Christ, never thought I’d see call of duty type horror big battles in Europe in my lifetime.

The poo poo talking between the players is of a similar style, too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

pippy posted:

Isn't the strategy to let areas be overrun and then cut them off and attack from their rear?

That supposes that you have strong mobile reserves to cut things off with. With Russian air domination and quantitative and qualitative superiority Ukraine can't do anything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Comstar posted:

They look really low and shootable. I know US doctrine is to stay a lot higher to stay out of range of AA and SAM's - clearly they don't care.

Since when has Russia given a gently caress about the lives of their men, they have mobilized cremation trucks to burn them in.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Sadly it seems that according to the ukranians the Russian VDV have taken the airport that’s only 115 km from Kyiv so pretty soon it’s gonna be game over sadly

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Sadly it seems that according to the ukranians the Russian VDV have taken the airport that’s only 115 km from Kyiv so pretty soon it’s gonna be game over sadly

Nah, anything but. So far they haven’t made an inroad into ANY major Ukrainian city.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Tesseraction posted:

Military contractor HQ was blown up an hour ago in the dead centre of Kyiv

https://twitter.com/Horesmi/status/1496795942510637057

It looks like this is actually documents and sensitive files burning, not a missile strike.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Do you know which one? I've seen the fighting over Hostomel but I've also heard someone mention that things are happening Boryspil?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We're 12 hours into day one, it would literally take that long to drive in a straight line to some of the major urban areas. Very little is known about anything yet.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Comstar posted:

Low level flying means you can only be seen briefly as you zoom through. Not much time to react unless the AA crew happens to be really lucky or well prepared, just like with cruise missiles.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tesseraction posted:

Do you know which one? I've seen the fighting over Hostomel but I've also heard someone mention that things are happening Boryspil?

Give me a sec to find the tweet

Found it, it’s Hostomel that has reportedly fallen

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/s...ingawful.com%2F

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 24, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

We're 12 hours into day one, it would literally take that long to drive in a straight line to some of the major urban areas. Very little is known about anything yet.

They could airdop forces into undefended areas though since Ukraine has gently caress all control over the airspace

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Comstar posted:

There's bound to be a lot of misattributed videos now. The helicopters check out, the abandoned one fits with a shootdown video posted earlier. Su-25s have been seen massed close to the border before the poo poo started, they are meant to operate low and are armored heavily for a reason. That MiG-29 flying low over a city seems the odd one out. I'm not saying it's misattributed for sure, but it might very well be.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, this, plus Twitter and the Internet in general are part of the warzone. I wouldn't trust any of it very much.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ola posted:

There's bound to be a lot of misattributed videos now. The helicopters check out, the abandoned one fits with a shootdown video posted earlier. Su-25s have been seen massed close to the border before the poo poo started, they are meant to operate low and are armored heavily for a reason. That MiG-29 flying low over a city seems the odd one out. I'm not saying it's misattributed for sure, but it might very well be.

Well the other things is WHY fly so low? Western bombers can stay and bomb at 10K with PGM's but these guys are flying very low. Doesn't say much for their targeting abilities.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

There's nothing I can do about this bullshit so I think it's time to use this energy to harass terfs on twitter or something.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wonder how many videos being posted right now will turn out to be recordings from Arma

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Would this really be effective in any way? I'm all for making the hardest possible response but I'm not really clear if this would do anything and not just backfire

Who knows!? It's not been done before and now we'll still not know.

Fortunately Russian stock exchange is doing the good work while EU hesitates.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1496812308277964801

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Comstar posted:

Well the other things is WHY fly so low? Western bombers can stay and bomb at 10K with PGM's but these guys are flying very low. Doesn't say much for their targeting abilities.

Going high would probably let the Russians shoot the poo poo out of them, staying low and mucking around with an IRST might be the only survivable tactic they have.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gort posted:

I wonder how many videos being posted right now will turn out to be recordings from Arma

I've seen Brown Moses saying that there was at least one already

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grab the missiles and rockets off the wings and put em on a Toyota already, jeez!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

what a loving disaster

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

some Russian POWs

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1496804043166998532

they look really young

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Violation of the rules of war right off the bat

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putin-sent-in-troops-disguised-with-ocse-white-peace-monitor-symbols-and-ukrainian-uniforms-says-kyiv

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Grab the missiles and rockets off the wings and put em on a Toyota already, jeez!

Why put them on a Toyota when you can put them on one of the many indestructible Lada Nivas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/madecapr/status/1496804551927738368 You wernt kidding.