Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Did he? I remember there were two almost interchangeable teen guys who tried the right wing pundit grift. One of them was working class and the other much wealthier, and iirc the working class one obviously got dropped the second he stopped being useful and ended up back in his mum's house living on twitter. Ofc the wealthier one was fine, I guess that must be the guy you mention.

I just find something desperately sad about them all, particularly the useful idiot working class ones who we all know are being laughed at constantly even by their ostensible supporters behind the scenes.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't even think they experience cognitive dissonance, I think they simply operate on an entirely different way of thinking, I don't think right wing people look at the world and reasonably decide based on observation that it works a certain way, and update that view in response to new information, I think generally they just do whatever is most immediately emotionally satisfying, and so their politics are storybook and everything ties into whatever pet idea they are attached to in whatever way is convenient.

The whole worldview provides an endless stream of emotional validation, that's the main point of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"the other one" in that instance I assume is darren "craftywank" grimes and he also has a show on gb news.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He'd loving better, the inbred babbling worthless sack of trash.
I mean it loving boris and his cabinet of gently caress wits. The only hope is if there is a competent public servant that can basically shut him into submission about what measures actually should be taken or something.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah, Harwood was the one with connections to get himself on every major news channel with his campaign to become NUS president that received <5% of the votes. Craftywank Grimes is the one who was out in the cold for a while but they seem to have taken him back in.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

ijyt posted:

What's this a photo of?

It's from the film "threads" and the temptation is there to say go watch it but it can prove massively depressing and you can never really get it out of your head again

fantastic film though, like, if you are having a day that's just too good- and you feel too happy- slap on threads and see just how miserable sheffield could get

then a nuclear war happens

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

"We are going to hobble them economically by surrendering the UK to them.'

In Civ you can gently caress an empire over by gifting them an overpopulated city that produces nothing of value and they'll all be like "free city! :D" and then their empire happiness will tank and cripple their output across their empire

That's what we are, the overpopulated city that produces nothing of value

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

A very tiny part of me feels kinda sorry for the handful of edgy right wing teenagers who keep getting buttered up by the reactionary media. We all had our dumbass Exceptionally Wrong phases back in the day but while were mostly allowed to forget it they never will. Social media is one part of this, but they're actually being courted and made to feel as if they're respected, serious political commentators by ideologically driven outlets desperate for young people who'll push the right line. They have no idea how little anyone outside of that tiny bubble takes them seriously. When they get a few years behind them and realise how dumb they've been being it's going to be brutally humiliating for them to look back on it all and realise how silly they actually looked and how nakedly they were being cynically lied to and exploited.

that was me and that's how it went, yes

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Wait, are you criticizing the ones supporting charity for a country facing an unprovoked invasion by an imperialist power or what?
Not sure what the intention of the post was but I'm also uneasy about calling for individuals to directly provide arms to a foreign power (e.g. first org on the list, "Save Lives, provides thermal scopes to soldiers for the purpose of ending lives"). Like I'm not saying it's the wrong thing to do, but I'd need to be a lot more sure about who those weapons were going to & why.

e: like if you're cool directly arming people & want to do good you'd probably be better off sending the money to oh hi GCHQ didn't see you there (e2: don't arm GCHQ)
My priorities:
  • Protecting free speech;
  • Suppressing free speech.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 24, 2022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's 2022 and the Ukrainian military has a Patreon.

https://twitter.com/levelsio/status/1496796608440291330

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Comrade Fakename posted:

The live action Lion King, the Pepsi half-time show
Twenty thousand years of this, seven more to go

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buy superchats for the ukrainian army and give them intel by stream camping the VDV.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
lmao this planet man

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ant promises massive sanctions to 'hobble' cordyceps fungus

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Every 4 weeks subscribers will get a bonus show where the Ukranian army watch and review a dumb 90s comedy.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I still have the NHS Covid app running on my phone (for all the good its done) and it just buzzed me a new notification

'COVID-19 Restrictions have been removed in England'

Woo, we beat the pandemic guys!
Literally had a friend tell us they got pinged this morning and we're going to put off seeing them this weekend now. I guess the app itself is still working (for the dozen people who have it installed)?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

:hmmyes:

Ah yes, there it is

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Barry Foster posted:

Total disassociation, fully out your mind
Googling derealization, hating what you find
That unapparent summer air in early fall
The quiet comprehending of the ending of it all

In case people aren't familiar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOqq1knVxs

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 24, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

If I become a diamond tier patron can I get them to do artillery strikes on targets of my choice?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

sebzilla posted:

The whole special is top notch and probably one of the best pieces of art that encapsulates millenials with an emphasis on the pandemic. It's really funny and smart but also very depressing so if somone here hasn't watched it, maybe hold off for a bit but definitely put it on your to watch list.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Fio_edwards/status/1496826152207458314

Going with a blame NATO and not a generic stop the war is at best terribly tone def...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder if Elden Ring will unlock before the lights go out

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Wait, are you criticizing the ones supporting charity for a country facing an unprovoked invasion by an imperialist power or what?

Are you pretending to not understand the difference between providing humanitarian aid and providing military training or what

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Just came into my head there, what about Eurovision this year and Ukraine?
So I did some googling, and there is a story here if you want to read about this years entry.
They only confirmed the group 2 DAYS ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest_2022

And for the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foqgjD_SNss

Can see this getting all 12s just as a gently caress you to Russia.

Ukraine asks EBU to ban Russia from Eurovision and suspend its membership from the broadcasting union

Belarus is no longer allowed to compete at Eurovision, so Russia wouldn't even be the first. I expect some wags would say "the UK should be banned for having boring songs" or "every country should be banned" or something.

Edit: and I don't know about "all 12s", but from what I can tell, the Ukrainian song seems to be fairly popular on its own merits. I like it. I wish the UK would send something more folk music based, but we're probably going to send something like an unremarkable Dua Lipa impersonation.

Jollity Farm fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 24, 2022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

It's our generation's We Didn't Start The Fire.

But good.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

It's from the film "threads" and the temptation is there to say go watch it but it can prove massively depressing and you can never really get it out of your head again

fantastic film though, like, if you are having a day that's just too good- and you feel too happy- slap on threads and see just how miserable sheffield could get

then a nuclear war happens

:staredog: awesome thank you

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

hmm, wonder which one of these is married to in a relationship with the editor

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 24, 2022

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

ijyt posted:

:staredog: awesome thank you

Yah I’m gonna say Do Not Watch Threads at least now. I saw it when I was 16 and I have never, ever forgotten it. It’s the most disturbing thing I have ever seen

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ok. So it is going to be WW3

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1496838538398248971

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

You know what, letting your Deliveroo rider have a slash is probably doing more good for the country than all the combined bloviations of the rest of our press, so fair play to Adrian Chiles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They made us watch Threads at school when we were doing nuclear history stuff.

When the Wind Blows hosed me up more though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know what, letting your Deliveroo rider have a slash is probably doing more good for the country than all the combined bloviations of the rest of our press, so fair play to Adrian Chiles.

I read it the other way - like all the Deliveroo guys have been pissing and making GBS threads in his toilet and he's pleading with them to stop

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Fio_edwards/status/1496826152207458314

Going with a blame NATO and not a generic stop the war is at best terribly tone def...
YES to the aggressive Westward expansion of Russia

For real, there actually a whole lot of weird Putin stooges on the left ime. That sign she's holding is basically an SWP front in case anyone isn't aware, there's a lot of SWP supporters out there (relative to the left as a whole), and most of them have extremely bad opinions about Russia, Assad &c. See also pretty much every other major Trot & ML group

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Everything hosed me up as a child, especially Animals of Farthing Wood and Blake's 7. Christ alive British TV was grim in the 70s and 80s, it's like they mandated every filmed drama had to be set in a rundown brutalist nightmare or a quarry.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aipsh posted:

Yah I’m gonna say Do Not Watch Threads at least now. I saw it when I was 16 and I have never, ever forgotten it. It’s the most disturbing thing I have ever seen

I saw it when it was first shown, when Reagan was going full Jack D Ripper. I was 8. The next day they tested the London flood alarms - which are the same as the HANDEL air-raid warning system. There's a reason for my almost pathological need to know about nukes and their effects.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I read it the other way - like all the Deliveroo guys have been pissing and making GBS threads in his toilet and he's pleading with them to stop

Either delivery drivers are all conspiring to use his house as a toilet for a joke or he really wants them to. Either way I'm happy.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

This would be loving stupid.
Sanctions that impact ordinary people in Russia will be spun by Putin as "the evil West destroying your life".

Just take Putin's money and then do the same to all of his friends and backers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pisspig adrien chiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

stev posted:

Either delivery drivers are all conspiring to use his house as a toilet for a joke or he really wants them to. Either way I'm happy.

High probability that he's created a little cubbyhole behind the toilet where he waits with a funnel and open mouth