Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

blue squares posted:

Why is Russia willing to go to war over NATO? What does NATO actually do other than say "We don't like Russia and if Russia attacks one of us, we will fight together"? It's not as if NATO countries would ever attack Russia preemptively. It seems to me like the only point of NATO is to prevent Russia from expanding its borders through war? But if so, then Russia would have no reason to attack Ukraine to prevent them from joining if they were never planning on expanding there anyway.

Obviously there is a reason other than that, so I don't get it. I am a noob at politics in this region

NATO coordinated the assaults on Afghanistan and Libya, it's offensive. It's stated goal is to oppose Russia. It's not surprising that Russian leadership thinks that the offensive alliance with a mission to oppose Russia might be a danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Morbus posted:

Appreciating the strategic encirclement and isolation of Russia by the west is important to understand the geopolitical basis of Russia's actions--as opposed to treating them like some inscrutable Mordor. It's possible to do that without, in an extremely stupid and misguided way, sympathizing with the Russian state as some kind of anti-imperialist or leftist influence in the world.

But, leftists are, as with everyone else, ~80% loving idiots, and live in a world they are fundamentally incapable of understanding, so here we are.

Nobody said russia was leftist you dumbass

What we’re saying is russia is 100% justified in preventing Ukraine from joining a nuclear military alliance given the last 30 years of nato bullshit in the region hth

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

dont really understand any MLs still trying to defend this war. The first 30 mins of his declaration of war was putin crying about lenin & stalin & the nationalities policies of the Soviet Union and promising to finish decommunization lol

MLs are all CIA/FBI at this point lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1496632438537207812?s=19

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

brugroffil posted:

That would not justify US invasion and overthrowing of their governments

no but it would explain it

we almost had a nuclear war break out over the USSR putting missiles in Cuba

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

fanfic insert posted:

has anyone told the americans at the embassy?

I thought the McDonald's was the American embassy.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hmmm it’s been several hours since the last major update I wonder what’s going on with the war…

i genuinely wish there was some sense of how things are shaking out, everyone on the ukranians side is saying millions of Russian tanks are dying on the gates of Kiev while the Russian side is playing dead silent and it seems like they’re making slow but steady progress

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

i'm going back and reading this thread, because tbh i have no idea what this ukraine bullshit is all about, but while i'm in the process of figuring that out i'd just like to congratulate everybody here for being so very right about what was going to happen. never doubt yourselves

thanks

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i agree, i just am not going to shrug and not blame putin too is all. Doing nothing is indeed a distasteful and lovely decision to have to make as Russia, but I'm not going to budge on saying its wrong to invade another country and get a bunch of innocent people killed. it's just all sad and so very stupid, and i really hope the west does not start arming ukraine and turn this into a bloodbath, let Putin have his prize.

yeah I think we’re on the same page. my critique of how the west has handled this (pushing for war, leading ukraine on then loving them over) doesn’t mean russia didn’t gave agency, im more flabbergasted that those stupid fucks didn’t just give the russians their goddamn pipeline or minsk or anything

it’s all so pointless and horrifying

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Yudo posted:

Assuming Nord Stream 2 goes online (and had this invasion not happened, it would have), the pipelines in Ukraine become redundant. The gas fields that supply the Ukrainian pipelines are not exactly long for this world either. Russia also controls the Crimea and Ukraine does not have a navy worth speaking of, so I don't think control of the black sea is a significant motivator either.

Speaking of that navy....
https://mobile.twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1496888520279007239

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Its gonna be really funny when Trump normalizes relations with Russia when hes re elected

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Skyl3lazer posted:

MLs are all CIA/FBI at this point lol

Where are my paychecks then?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Frosted Flake posted:

What do you think governments are for?

Like, what do you think the state should do with its monopoly on violence?

it is super easy to do nothing and justify doing nothing when you have thousands of nuclear weapons

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

MLSM posted:

Hey buddy are you familiar with the last 30 years of nato expansion towards russia that might have something to do with it lol

not only is nato expansion (which was one of the things that was promised to russia that would never, ever, ever, ever, ever happen and that nato immediately reneged on) I have not seen anyone in any thread on here ever mention that zelinskyy went on tv just a few months ago to tell everyone about how ukraine is going to "liberate" crimea. between that and nato "training exercises" its a real wonder why russia wanted their troops out there in the first place.

even putin himself was born in and came up in a russia that was looted and humiliated by the us/the west and very obviously thought that they could just loot and humiliate a cowed russia forever with absolutely zero pushback, and yeah obviously this bloodshed is a hideous and evil tragedy but this is what you get when you have a state department whose operating methodology over the last few decades has been "nothing we do will ever have any consequences". yeah ofc putin "pulled the trigger" for what its worth but where the gently caress do these people think the conditions that lead us here arose from*?

(*they think that putin is an insane demon that rules russia according to his dark desires far distant from any logic, reason, geopolitical history, or material conditions)

ne way

Terminal autist posted:

The other thread is wild just full on bloodlust that makes the coolzone at the peak of the protests look normal. Sicko poo poo and those pussies still wont pull up in the Ukraine to join their nazi ilk.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torpor posted:

I fully agree that the us would lash out and invade, but knowing something is likely under the circumstances doesn’t justify doing the action.

?? who said it’s justified? it’s just dipshit american leadership not understanding history and acting like a bunch of psychos what else is new

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

brugroffil posted:

Don't they have a Russia-backed neonazi military contractor group

do they? what are you referring to?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Tbh if this was an alternate universe where Ukraine was putting up a good fight we'd have posters screeching about how it was a NATO plot to turn the region into a bloodbath for $arms sales$ instead of screeching about how NATO provoked the Russians into doing an imperialism.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

What do you think governments are for?

Like, what do you think the state should do with its monopoly on violence?

Not use it to invade other countries that are not actually threatening to invade it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

never go back just post

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

welp lol

also the russians have taken the city of Sumy the same city where the ukranians were saying they Javelined 500 tanks

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Fly Molo posted:

yeah I think we’re on the same page. my critique of how the west has handled this (pushing for war, leading ukraine on then loving them over) doesn’t mean russia didn’t gave agency, im more flabbergasted that those stupid fucks didn’t just give the russians their goddamn pipeline or minsk or anything

everyone in the west lives in fear of chamberlain and mcgovern and it rules :shepicide:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fly Molo posted:

lmao then acting all pikachu shocked when the US goes “gently caress you that’s unacceptable” and invades canada

we’re now at the point where canada is getting stomped, they’re begging the Warsaw Pact for the aid they promised, and the only response they’re getting is “lol thoughts and prayers comrades”

How did you find out about my first Canada game in HoI.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

NATO coordinated the assaults on Afghanistan and Libya, it's offensive. It's stated goal is to oppose Russia. It's not surprising that Russian leadership thinks that the offensive alliance with a mission to oppose Russia might be a danger.

lol we built this sarcophagus ourselves, brick by brick, from iraq to kosovo, and now we’re acting shocked that we’ve entombed ourselves in it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MLSM posted:

Nobody said russia was leftist you dumbass

What we’re saying is russia is 100% justified in preventing Ukraine from joining a nuclear military alliance given the last 30 years of nato bullshit in the region hth

When did NATO last invade Russian territory?

100% justified in preemptive invasion of another country, lol

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

The Real Amethyst posted:

Likewise if you're a marxist and you're posting poo poo like "I hope Ukraine gets steamrolled and every nazi is murdered" in he face of footage such as https://mobile.twitter.com/girkingirkin/status/1496854488933715972?s=21 and https://twitter.com/DanielSaldrac/status/1496881080594436098 then maybe it's time for some self-reflection also.

remember, the big boys involved in all this goddamn lovely mess will almost certainly never suffer like these people

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fly Molo posted:

lol we built this sarcophagus ourselves, brick by brick, from iraq to kosovo, and now we’re acting shocked that we’ve entombed ourselves in it

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

spacemang_spliff posted:

Wagner probably

https://twitter.com/mike10010100/status/1495077549906485253

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

MLSM posted:

Where are my paychecks then?

Same.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vernii posted:

Tbh if this was an alternate universe where Ukraine was putting up a good fight we'd have posters screeching about how it was a NATO plot to turn the region into a bloodbath for $arms sales$ instead of screeching about how NATO provoked the Russians into doing an imperialism.

so we posting our fanfic now or what cuz i got a good one about putin and a very hung azov battalion

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Fly Molo posted:

The pipeline was pretty much on track until Russia started building up military forces though?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

Wagner, which is also the name of Hitler's favorite composer

:thunk:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

razorscooter posted:

everyone in the west lives in fear of chamberlain and mcgovern and it rules :shepicide:

yeah it loving owns no appeasement we don’t negotiate with terror :stonklol:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

That rat is a union buster for Walmart.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

The military build up was part of trying to reach a diplomatic resolution.

Lolling at this sentence. Fantastic content everyone

Morbus
May 18, 2004

brugroffil posted:

I don't think "this country will join NATO" justifies Russian invasion and overthrow of their government. Ultimately force rules at the end of the day so it doesn't matter what's "justified" or not, but it was Putin's choice to invade.

I'm also not sure that there's good reason to believe that even full Minsk 2 and NS2 coming online would be enough. The rhetoric and demands from Putin over the last couple of weeks are way more expansive than that.

The Ukrainian government straight up said "DERP MAYBE WE SHOULD JOIN NATO AND PUT NUCLEAR WEAPONS HERE TO DEFEND AGAINST RUSSIA LMAO"

And the west has not shown any real hesitation in placing strategic & strike weapons in NATO countries near Russia's border--now or in the past. The continued expansion of NATO (along with the total lack of meaningful mutual disarmament or diplomacy) puts the Russian state in a position where, in a hypothetical near future, the US and it's proxies could hit strategic targets in the Russian core within 5 minutes. This is against a backdrop where the US continues to militarize space, deploy ABMs, and where the drastically diminished Russian nuclear ballistic missile submarine force basically can't go anywhere without non-negligible odds of their position being known.

That all sounds very abstract, and it is, but a Russian government that does not respond, in some way, to encirclement by NATO is essentially saying "you know what, I trust that in the next ~30 years, the west is never going to initiate a nuclear war, for any reason, even if they are able to win one. Nope, the American state and global society as a whole are lookin' truly rock solid, and as the Russian population continues to dwindle, the assuredly wise and circumspect future leaders of the US will never be tempted to end the Russian threat once and for all and re-assert their hegemony by force, if given the option".

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

spacemang_spliff posted:

Wagner Group

Morbus posted:

The Ukrainian government straight up said "DERP MAYBE WE SHOULD JOIN NATO AND PUT NUCLEAR WEAPONS HERE TO DEFEND AGAINST RUSSIA LMAO"

And the west has not shown any real hesitation in placing strategic & strike weapons in NATO countries near Russia's border--now or in the past. The continued expansion of NATO (along with the total lack of meaningful mutual disarmament or diplomacy) puts the Russian state in a position where, in a hypothetical near future, the US and it's proxies could hit strategic targets in the Russian core within 5 minutes. This is against a backdrop where the US continues to militarize space, deploy ABMs, and where the drastically diminished Russian nuclear ballistic missile submarine force basically can't go anywhere without non-negligible odds of their position being known.

That all sounds very abstract, and it is, but a Russian government that does not respond, in some way, to encirclement by NATO is essentially saying "you know what, I trust that in the next ~30 years, the west is never going to initiate a nuclear war, for any reason, even if they are able to win one. Nope, the American state and global society as a whole are lookin' truly rock solid, and as the Russian population continues to dwindle, the assuredly wise and circumspect future leaders of the US will never be tempted to end the Russian threat once and for all, if given the option".

I guess they should have gotten those nuclear weapons more quickly.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I fucken hate twitter

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brugroffil posted:

The pipeline was pretty much on track until Russia started building up military forces though?

no it wasn’t it kept getting delayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

fits my needs posted:

i remember when the last mcdonalds in afghanistan fell

Ukraine, when the McDonald's closed.