Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

keep punching joe posted:

Newer ones can be fairly power efficient. Got it due to living in a flat with terrible ventilation but still use it since moving. Also great if you have to hang laundry indoors, really cuts down the drying time.

Plus the air just seems lighter and easier to breath. Maybe I'm imagining that though.

Do you use it in your bedroom? Mine is pretty damp, get some mold growth around the window. You couldn't sleep with one running though I imagine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Deketh posted:

Do you use it in your bedroom? Mine is pretty damp, get some mold growth around the window. You couldn't sleep with one running though I imagine?

I used mine in my bedroom. I just leave the door open and it dehumidifies the whole house. I turn it off at night, but it just becomes white noise after a while and I've managed to accidentally fall asleep with it running.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hence me talking about giving Ukraine a good kicking (and why the Baltic states are suddenly very keen on talking to the rest of NATO, as they're similarly sitting in the way of Russian strategic goals). IMO Putin's gambling on the west suing for peace and letting him keep at least the Black Sea coast up to Crimea, although sitting on some of the most fertile (and *probably* climate-change proof) arable land on the planet probably wouldn't be a bad investment for the future too.

Of course I'm literally some wanker sitting at a computer thousands of miles away who's played too much Civ so don't claim any special knowledge, but I'd be surprised (although not shocked) if Russia did try and grab the whole lot and hold it long term, but then we all assumed that the US and supporting artists were going into Iraq as a quick land (and oil) grab, not ending up in a grinding 20 year failed occupation.

(Originally typod "Baltic" as "Balkan" but the Russians probably wouldn't say no to a nice base on the Med too, but that door's *probably* staying closed for now)

Yeah, this does scan. I do feel like the Baltics are probably a lot more secure though. Ukraine is one thing, but invading a full EU member state would be quite another, you'd think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crossposting:

Boris johnson... good???

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Deketh posted:

The fan on my ancient macbook gets louder to be honest, but if it's been on all day / evening then it goes off at night.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, this does scan. I do feel like the Baltics are probably a lot more secure though. Ukraine is one thing, but invading a full EU member state would be quite another, you'd think.

Although I've just read that Russian and Belarusian forces are attacking and attempting to take, rather than just destroy, Kiev's main airport which doesn't *seem* like something you do if you're looking to just slice off a bit more salami.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Not the best dehumidifier for summer, because it does heat the air a bit more than a compressor based one, but great for the rest of the year (and saving on heating) for the same reason.

I think this might be the wrong way round.

Anyway I run my compressor based one in my bedroom including at night, it's good as white noise but probably not for everyone. also you can't run it too much or you wake up with a bone dry mouth.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1496898977614077961

Love too use an actual loving war in Europe to further the cause of anti-Left factionalism within the Labour Party.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I was pretty certain they were just going to walk into Eastern Ukraine and call it a day. Easy win, few ugly optics, maybe trade them for international recognitionof Crimea. Going full rogue state feels like it's going to be a big miscalculation in the long run. Yes, they can do it since the Ukrainian military is bad, but the blowback is a lot more severe especially if they start rolling tanks through Kyiv.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sebzilla posted:

Love too use an actual loving war in Europe to further the cause of anti-Left factionalism within the Labour Party.

Considering the only person who can stop this war is Putin, the whip has a point.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is literally like the Kristallnacht, Jeremy Corbyn must apologize and resign.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Newer ones can be fairly power efficient. Got it due to living in a flat with terrible ventilation but still use it since moving. Also great if you have to hang laundry indoors, really cuts down the drying time.

Plus the air just seems lighter and easier to breath. Maybe I'm imagining that though.

Best buy i made in decades was £119 B&Q dehumidifier, drying clothes indoors is a true godsend with less cloying air being a nice side benefit.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Considering the only person who can stop this war is Putin, the whip has a point.

The letter condemns Putin's invasion fwiw

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Crossposting:

Boris johnson... good???

Until he actually does what he stays he stays scum.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Somehow until now I hadn't been thinking about how Chernobyl is still a functioning plant and thus a highly strategic target, but I must say it's extremely reassuring and good that there's now armed warfare happening in Pripyat.

E: I guess it actually now longer produces energy, but is still in the process of decommissioning

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lol decided to get some petrol on the way home from work as I’m down to 1/3 a tank and looks like panic buying queues are making a come back.

Im sure our press will report this in a responsible manner and will in no way stoke the fires of the situation further.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Somehow until now I hadn't been thinking about how Chernobyl is still a functioning plant and thus a highly strategic target, but I must say it's extremely reassuring and good that there's now armed warfare happening in Pripyat.

E: I guess it actually now longer produces energy, but is still in the process of decommissioning

I think the area was under military control so they had to be removed as it has good links for further Russian troop movements.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The war thread pointed out that it technically is still a major junction on the ukrainian electricity grid, even though the plant itself is not operational. And also the ukrainian military literally enforces the exclusion zone and guards the site, so the russians would not have the option of ignoring it.

The plant itself has no military value, but the zone itself is at the least "in the way" and manned by the people they're invading so unfortunately it is going to see some fighting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

zhar posted:

I think this might be the wrong way round.
Desiccant dehumidifiers are good for cold damp, and they spit out a lot of excess heat, but that's good if your room is cold and damp.

Old compressor ones are best for swampy warm heat like a shower room, idk if the newer ones are better at cold damp.

Running a desiccant one in a small house in summer gets uncomfortable pretty quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGSsu6pfOoY

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Desiccant dehumidifiers are good for cold damp, and they spit out a lot of excess heat, but that's good if your room is cold and damp.

Old compressor ones are best for swampy warm heat like a shower room, idk if the newer ones are better at cold damp.

Running a desiccant one in a small house in summer gets uncomfortable pretty quickly.

This dehumidifier has a substantial dollar pound value attached to it.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The full annexation route seems like a guaranteed way to spend 10+ years fighting a civil war on your door step.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah turns out you're quite right, I was thinking that a compressor would need more energy to operate than a dessicant material, but I didn't consider how the water was extracted from the dessicant!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The juxtaposition of dehumidifier chat with a loving literal invasion really is a delight to behold, thread.

fake edit: I mean this with genuine love, comrades - not a sarcastic dig

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

JoylessJester posted:

The full annexation route seems like a guaranteed way to spend 10+ years fighting a civil war on your door step.

If the pandemic has changed a lot. Why commute to syria when you can work from home

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Literally seconds after you posted that I got a price notification that the Zambezi is at its lowest price ever for a new unit.

Not the best dehumidifier for summer, because it does heat the air a bit more than a compressor based one, but great for the rest of the year (and saving on heating) for the same reason.

This also sounds good.

Argos are also having a clearance of a very well reviewed compressor humidifier: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8833578?clickSR=slp:term:dehumidifier:9:9:1

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

zhar posted:

I didn't consider how the water was extracted from the dessicant!
It's a clever design with how little it needs in the way of complicated moving parts.

Also perfect for hanging a load of washing in the front room on a dull day like today. The clothes horse and the dehumidifier fight it out for a couple of hours leaving you with a warm dry room smelling faintly of clean laundry.

The UK-Iceland gap.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Lol decided to get some petrol on the way home from work as I’m down to 1/3 a tank and looks like panic buying queues are making a come back.

My usual Sainsbury's was packed when I filled the van, and a friend in Manchester said she had queues to fill too. It has begun.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sebzilla posted:

All withdrawn, loving cowards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I bought a dehumidifier I think I would be unable to resist taping a photo of ben shapiro to it.

And this may allow it to achieve >100% efficiency for all I know.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Biggus Dickus posted:

My usual Sainsbury's was packed when I filled the van, and a friend in Manchester said she had queues to fill too. It has begun.
I suspect people are less worried about it running out than the fact the price is about to leap. You might as well fill up now at £1.50...

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

She should be condemned for waiting this long. Think of how many have died needlessly!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If I bought a dehumidifier I think I would be unable to resist taping a photo of ben shapiro to it.

And this may allow it to achieve >100% efficiency for all I know.
Wet Atmosphere Preventer

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oh yeah if you suffer from black mold problems, dehumidifier is also a pro purchase. The mould can't reproduce at humidities of lower than 55%, so you can clean it up with some bleach solution and slow down its return.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Many of the new ones (of any type) have some kind of hepa/ionizer/UVC type thing that directly reduces bacteria and spores too.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wwuruwuuugghwurhghghghghgh now is ndot thuh timb for a wuhld wahr uruugh

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

John Healey (Shadow Defence) on BBC News now saying Putin "won't stop at Ukraine."

Feels like unhelpful sensationalism, no?

No? Putin's demands have literally been that NATO withdraw membership from all countries that joined after the fall of the Soviet Union. He couldn't be more obvious in his desire to restore the Warsaw Pact if he took out a full page advert in the newspaper.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
yeah he's not keen on the existence of the baltic states either

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

crispix posted:

yeah he's not keen on the existence of the baltic states either

Today is Estonia's Independence Day.

My Estonian friend assures me they're all aware of the bitter irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
bastard the finns should invade and gently caress him right up imo

putin, i mean