Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wow that's a painful read.

I do think we need to include video games into modern discussions of art and art criticism and I encourage my students to do it when I can but if it's done like that no one will take it seriously at all.

the future is now, old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wow that's a painful read.

I do think we need to include video games into modern discussions of art and art criticism and I encourage my students to do it when I can but if it's done like that no one will take it seriously at all.
:thejoke:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So suddenly my pro controllers are performing very poorly. I'm trying to play Tetris99 and I'm seeing weird phantom inputs or laggy presses and it's making the game unplayable.

The controllers are fully charged and I've rebooted the switch but I have no idea what changed since I went to bed to cause this.

E: Figured it out. I moved my modem close to the switch and it didn't affect anything last night because no one was using wifi but my wife is working right now and using it and that was the cause.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 24, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

This was posted to social media on the same day the assignment is dated.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Mario is a working class man, he's not part of the one percent even though he golfs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you could do that joke before social media. y'all never took a red pen and wrote funny teacher notes on your papers/tests for giggles? just fun school pranks. like taking your mouse and plugging it into someone else's g3 iMac or taking a screenshot of the desktop and setting it as background and hiding all the real icons?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think I've just been correcting too many papers so seeing all the red lines set me off.

Over here the students have to do a Oral Presentation to pass their Baccalaureat (for a high school diploma). They're encouraged to do it on a personal subject but that also pertains to class. I teach English literature and culture and the themes are fairly basic and generic so it's not rare I get students who want to apply them to games they get, but are afraid that if they do so they won't be taken seriously, especially by older thinking teachers who make up the juries, which I don't think is fair.

Like yeah, that's a funny piece and clearly not mean to be serious, but why not discuss the philosophical merits of Mario?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

After beating dungeon 3 I went back into that field to get the piece of heart in link's current location. I couldn't figure out how to get back from there though. I had to take a running jump with no room to get going so I couldn't figure out how to make the jump back and I died of falling. Now I'm respawned in that same place.

you should be able to jump diagonally out of there

but seriously, did you never play a Zelda-game before

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Sean posted:

This was posted to social media on the same day the assignment is dated.

yeah it's wild how quickly graders are expected to work these days

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Welp, I've solved my Smash DLC situation.

Currently, we only have Steve. My son REALLY wants Petey Piranha. Well, a few months ago, he was having a difficult time at school, but he's getting better and better each week. I told him that if he has a good week, I'll not only get him the Piranha DLC, but I'll let him choose one other character to get. Today was excellent, so he's just got tomorrow to go.

He chose Joker, though he was originally looking at Pyra. And if next week (or maybe two weeks from now, to spread it out) he continues to do well, he can pick the next fighter, and the next, etc.

Yeah, sure it costs more to get them separately but I'm more than willing to pay for it this way, if this plan ends up working.

Better learning through Smash!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Looper posted:

yeah it's wild how quickly graders are expected to work these days

Yeah, more likely than stdh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think I've just been correcting too many papers so seeing all the red lines set me off.

Over here the students have to do a Oral Presentation to pass their Baccalaureat (for a high school diploma). They're encouraged to do it on a personal subject but that also pertains to class. I teach English literature and culture and the themes are fairly basic and generic so it's not rare I get students who want to apply them to games they get, but are afraid that if they do so they won't be taken seriously, especially by older thinking teachers who make up the juries, which I don't think is fair.

Like yeah, that's a funny piece and clearly not mean to be serious, but why not discuss the philosophical merits of Mario?

It's a toy and while it is fine to bring in toys for show and tell we should not try to ruin toys with boring things like philosophy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario is extremely wealthy although he is proletariat. He exchanges his labor for currency. He is not a bougeiosie although he used to be a petite bougeiosie when he had a contracting company. But since the end of Donkey Kong Jr he has beensomeone who only provides labor and value, give or take some various Game and Watch spinoffs.

Also I am assuming as a doctor he does not own his own practice. In the past I thought he did but Dr Mario World makes it more clear that he is one of many doctors in an environment he does not own.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mario is extremely wealthy although he is proletariat. He exchanges his labor for currency. He is not a bougeiosie although he used to be a petite bougeiosie when he had a contracting company. But since the end of Donkey Kong Jr he has beensomeone who only provides labor and value, give or take some various Game and Watch spinoffs.

Also I am assuming as a doctor he does not own his own practice. In the past I thought he did but Dr Mario World makes it more clear that he is one of many doctors in an environment he does not own.

Mario is aligned with a weak monarchy and the factory-owning Toad oligarchs and employs violence without hesitation against anyone who would upend that order.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There is no wiggle room for monarchists. They all get the guillotine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

jackhunter64 posted:

Mario is aligned with a weak monarchy and the factory-owning Toad oligarchs and employs violence without hesitation against anyone who would upend that order.

Ah so he’s an early feudal noble.

Though they generally got paid in land

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

There is no wiggle room for monarchists. They all get the guillotine.

hell yeah

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jackhunter64 posted:

cops are workers, just class-traitor workers

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Currently, we only have Steve. My son REALLY wants Petey Piranha. Well, a few months ago, he was having a difficult time at school, but he's getting better and better each week. I told him that if he has a good week, I'll not only get him the Piranha DLC, but I'll let him choose one other character to get. Today was excellent, so he's just got tomorrow to go.

He chose Joker, though he was originally looking at Pyra. And if next week (or maybe two weeks from now, to spread it out) he continues to do well, he can pick the next fighter, and the next, etc.

Yeah, sure it costs more to get them separately but I'm more than willing to pay for it this way, if this plan ends up working.

this is great, I hope he has a great day at school tomorrow. having a little goal to work towards can work great for kids in certain situations :)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

:kiddo: :3: Go, kiddo, go! I'm rooting for him.

Also Banjo should clearly be his first choice. :colbert:

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Very nice! Wonder what character he'll pick last?

Will it be Banjo or dweebs like Byleth & Sora.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone who picks Banjo last doesn't deserve him

(unless they were saving the best for last)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MassRafTer posted:

It's a toy and while it is fine to bring in toys for show and tell we should not try to ruin toys with boring things like philosophy.

Gonna write a paper on GI Joe and American perceptions on our status as the preeminent global military superpower and you can’t stop me

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah so he’s an early feudal noble.

Though they generally got paid in land

Mario prefers to be paid in cake

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

DE is amazing. This is not a game that is overrated or overhyped.

Your posts made finally push past my "intimidated by the Choose Your Stats screen", I'm finally starting this after I get home.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I bought the Piranha Plant DLC for Smash because I think the concept is hilarious, I have no idea if he’s fun to play as or if he’s any good but I think a potted plant character in Smash is pretty funny. :haw:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

I bought the Piranha Plant DLC for Smash because I think the concept is hilarious, I have no idea if he’s fun to play as or if he’s any good but I think a potted plant character in Smash is pretty funny. :haw:

He's fun

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Xenomrph posted:

They're fun. I love playing as a potted plant :420:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hey HAL laboratory you got any more of that uhhhh picross 3d

it's time for round 3

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

hey HAL laboratory you got any more of that uhhhh picross 3d

it's time for round 3

*desperately freebasing Voxelgram in the bathroom*

it's just not as good as Picross 3D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

:kiddo: :3: Go, kiddo, go! I'm rooting for him.

Also Banjo should clearly be his first choice. :colbert:

I'm similarly surprised.

He's actually going between Joker and Hero, who I don't even recall being announced or know anything about.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Palmtree Panic posted:

Very nice! Wonder what character he'll pick last?

Will it be Banjo or dweebs like Byleth & Sora.

Do not compare my friend Sora to Byleth

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nintendo Switch: Mario is cool as gently caress, perchance.

Horrible opening.

Nintendo Switch: Mario is cool as gently caress. Perchance.

Your posts made finally push past my "intimidated by the Choose Your Stats screen", I'm finally starting this after I get home.

One of my favorite moments in that game is immediately past the choose your stats screen: I decided to dumpster all my physical stats, as low as they could go. Then I died of a heart attack getting dressed in the morning. It ruled.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Horrible opening.

Nintendo Switch: Mario is cool as gently caress. Perchance.

One of my favorite moments in that game is immediately past the choose your stats screen: I decided to dumpster all my physical stats, as low as they could go. Then I died of a heart attack getting dressed in the morning. It ruled.

Agreed on the thread title.

Also, holy poo poo, I think I need Disco Elysium.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Agreed on the thread title.

Also, holy poo poo, I think I need Disco Elysium.

Seriously you do.

I'm angling to foment a Feminist Communist revolution now, and it's only 4 pm on the first day. Just. AMAZING.

Real question: will I gently caress myself by not investigating what I assume is the main quest before the end of the day, which feels like 9 pm? I like how things are going now, and I don't think I'd be able to restart it just how I want it. Also, there's a lot to explore left. I just finished with the bookstore and that's like the first major thing I dove into wholly unnecessarily, I should add.

Go for it! Don't make the morale or health skills (the 2 center rows) less than 2 or you risk dying easily. Otherwise go wild! I think I ended up 4323 myself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Real question: will I gently caress myself by not investigating what I assume is the main quest before the end of the day, which feels like 9 pm? I like how things are going now, and I don't think I'd be able to restart it just how I want it. Also, there's a lot to explore left. I just finished with the bookstore and that's like the first major thing I dove into wholly unnecessarily, I should add.

I've only played it once and I assume there is some kind of time limit but I do not know what it is because I played through the main quest real fast.

I'd suggest just playing the day through and see what happens, but if you must know, Kim offers to do a debriefing before he goes to bed, and will gently reprimand you for going off-tangent instead of focusing on the investigation. The fear of disappointing that man is the real threat.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The only thing you must do is have enough money to pay for your room. There's no time limit and you can't really miss anything, just go where your hosed up brain wants to go and meet who you want to meet. Time stops at some point in the night so you need to be able to afford to go to bed to make it to the next day. To illustrate how off the rails you can go: You don't even need to examine the body, the game lets you ignore it and solve the case another way if you really want.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i haven't played the game yet but my advice is to just stop reading tips and tricks and just do stuff and see what happens.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No matter what you do, something will happen. Just keep doing stuff, then go back with some purpose in mind for subsequent playthroughs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

b_d posted:

i haven't played the game yet but my advice is to just stop reading tips and tricks and just do stuff and see what happens.

cum jabbar posted:

No matter what you do, something will happen. Just keep doing stuff, then go back with some purpose in mind for subsequent playthroughs

i recommend this approach for pretty much any single-player game.