Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Morbus posted:

I maintain that it's a stupid and impulsive move born out of a frustration with Russia's strategic options and utter lack of any diplomatic effort from the west, rather than a plan with a well thought out long term end-state.

There is no possibility of anything that remains of Ukraine joining NATO, in the foreseeable future, though. Of course, that was pretty much the case regardless of any military action beyond what was necessary to keep the separatist conflicts in the east simmering along.

It could just be something like "diplomacy is hopeless, hoping for a change in western attitude is hopeless, at least a federated ukrainian state would have areas nominally friendly to Russia and would present a more even playing field for Russian vs. western soft-power and influence". But it seems like that is a political end-state that could have been achieved without a full fledged invasion and all the problems/backlash that entails. Especially since the idiot nationalists in Ukraine were practically guaranteed to make some stupid first move themselves at some point in the next 5 years, a la the Georgian-Ossetian war.

I think the mobilization and wargames were leverage, the troops worked up and officers created plans as part of the exercise, the expectation was always that Minsk II was a small ask, and as they got frankly insulting responses, they had to work with those plans.

Not exactly hasty or improvised, but not years in the making either. I don’t think anyone expected the diplomatic response they got from the US, UK and UKR over sensible demands. They had to make good on their threat but since the initial intention wasn’t to invade, it’s not a perfect plan, just a very good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

it's interesting the reaction to Russia invading Ukraine compared to the US invading Iraq

wow I can’t believe you supported saddam

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zedhe Khoja posted:

the mods are not ok folks

the mods are working their asses off (for young mouth)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

it's interesting the reaction to Russia invading Ukraine compared to the US invading Iraq

12 year old me: wow this sucks, gently caress this
30 year old me: wow this sucks, gently caress this, better post epic memes about it online

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, I do think the Taiwanese independence movement, even if it went already dead, is certainly dead now. The US is not going to be around to defend an ally they not only will lose but have no legal obligation to help.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Zedhe Khoja posted:

this isn’t a total war though what is he talking about? what a donut

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I know not with what weapons the next major will be fought, but the war after that will be fought with blockchain

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Where is this from?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Naked aggression

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Melanie_Paradis/status/1496914305106731011

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/bcbluecon/status/1496897438916878343

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

loving libs

copy
Jul 26, 2007

my god the content

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MeaghanBm/status/1496935005733494792

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

oh god no, please no

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
god she's going to ride this into being PM lol gently caress

god drat you paul i didn't need this today

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i didnt know our nazi minister was also a little pete buttigeg but it all realy makes sense
https://twitter.com/MeaghanBm/status/1496937467861422081

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

this was already our destiny

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mankind's warfare started with ape ancestors hitting each other with sticks and now we blow each other up and post pictures of apes in sunglasses.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

so were the twitter reports last night that russia already took over the entire coutnry bullshit after all

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad posted:

https://twitter.com/SlavitchMichael/status/1496944667887390726

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

hell yeah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxkMBansplg

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Shear Modulus posted:

so were the twitter reports last night that russia already took over the entire coutnry bullshit after all

yep

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

freeland is so spooked up she was absolutely going to be PM at some ponit. she's canadian proto mayor pete

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shear Modulus posted:

the russians are rolling into poland as we speak but NATO stands strong

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

they're merely taking big chunks of the country instead yeah

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Marzzle posted:

the russians are rolling into poland as we speak but NATO stands strong

Even the letters stand tall

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell why not the Azovs will welcome her with open arms based on her grandfather’s work

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

The Fallschirmjagers dropped with pistols. The allies learned from it and dropped in normandy with weapons strapped to their body.

The “elite” SS FJs they dropped in that raid to kill Tito were from a Penal Unit. Imagine the human materiel of a Waffen SS Penal Unit and then entrusting them to end the war in Yugoslavia. I think it was the only Waffen SS parachute unit too which makes it even more hilarious.

They picked the “best of the best” and that was just “the most criminal”.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1496067620990291969

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Putin Biden suddenly being announced dead would be funnier.

ftfy

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Bet he won't be tweeting this when China fucks on Taiwan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV81kHyHzA8&t=10s

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

this was already our destiny

no. that's not true. that's impossible!!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell why not the Azovs will welcome her with open arms based on her grandfather’s work

they all already absolutely love her

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/richimedhurst/status/1493392220682170371?s=20

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the mobilization and wargames were leverage, the troops worked up and officers created plans as part of the exercise, the expectation was always that Minsk II was a small ask, and as they got frankly insulting responses, they had to work with those plans.

Not exactly hasty or improvised, but not years in the making either. I don’t think anyone expected the diplomatic response they got from the US, UK and UKR over sensible demands. They had to make good on their threat but since the initial intention wasn’t to invade, it’s not a perfect plan, just a very good one.

Admittedly, I don’t know how much hope there was for Minsk 2, but I do think the Kremlin thought they were running out of options to keep Ukraine permanently out of NATO. That simply wasn’t acceptable in their eyes.

I don’t think there is a point to this invasion without regime change, they need a government in Kiev that will sign up to the CSTO as well as probably the EAEU. I guess the question is how long formal resistance will last especially if pockets start forming the the east.

I really don’t think just handing out rifles was a good idea even if things are looking grim.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dreylad posted:

Y'all got a POC in office now, and are going to get a lady prime minister next. Very progressive.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

fatelvis posted:

Where is this from?

Commiegir in USPOL or whatever the gently caress its called now

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

The “elite” SS FJs they dropped in that raid to kill Tito were from a Penal Unit. Imagine the human materiel of a Waffen SS Penal Unit and then entrusting them to end the war in Yugoslavia. I think it was the only Waffen SS parachute unit too which makes it even more hilarious.

They picked the “best of the best” and that was just “the most criminal”.

I was talking more about the FJ led invasion of crete. Special forces stuff was still in it's infancy.

Massive airdrops are somewhat of a meme with the advent of helicopters. The Tangail Airdrop for instance had very limited goals of cutting a brigade sized force and was a battalion level airdrop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

handing out rifles may seem silly, but when you realize how popular cs:go is in that region, you will learn just how powerful this move is