Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FuzzySlippers posted:

In retrospect it is a lot easier to predict an invasion when you refuse to budge on anything of note and publicly state repeatedly you won't intervene militarily.

One thing you can always count on from authoritarian regimes: they'll happily eat poo poo diplomatically over and over without ever trying to use force. After all their entire domestic position isn't tied into projecting strength. I can imagine Putin going on Russian TV to announce "sorry guys I tried" before he sends the troops home.

Russia likely gave them a deadline confidentially, the more I think about it, or the wargames and military posture clearly signalled one.

Zelensky didn’t know what would happen when the clock ran out, NATO did, and they kept encouraging him while pulling everyone out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

BULBASAUR posted:

post more twitter updates

here's an update: Twitter is bad

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhFunny posted:

The Russians didn't install a puppet government in Georgia after the 08 War. I don't see why they would do so here.

Ukraine is simply more important and the issue of NATO membership will constantly be popping up. Georgia has just kept its head down but Ukraine is simply too critical for both sides to ignore.

Also, Russia has gone this far and honestly this is shaping up to be a much more extreme conflict.

In the case of Georgia, some of it just things have also worked out so far but it is still a hanging issue especially if the previous government ever got back in power.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Feb 25, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

BULBASAUR posted:

post more twitter updates

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

camoseven posted:

here's an update: Twitter is bad

so are you

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Rip Testes posted:

What is 'the portal'?

classic award winning video game !! check it out. spoilers : the cake is a lie!!! lmao!!!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm honestly just confused about leftists who give a poo poo about either side in a war that's not class war.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1497011175279706116?s=20&t=r3LMf33hrEGU9D6SnkKHoQ

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

OK so what happened over the last 18 hours?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

war's going to be over before those transactions complete

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

papersack posted:

if you're still on this forum in 2022 you have brain damage

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

ram dass in hell posted:

classic award winning video game !! check it out. spoilers : the cake is a lie!!! lmao!!!

post a good post

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mods?!?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

excited to hear raytheon's upcoming announcement about accepting bitcoin

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Southpaugh posted:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

even worse

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
all my APCs gone

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Southpaugh posted:

Idk

What's up with u

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hrmm
Let me test this

Putin is an addled strongman desperately clutching at relevance and his country's long gone glory days as his body and mind deteriorate.

And the US and NATO served him up Ukraine like a slice of prime rib at Golden Corral

Interesting new av

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

all my APCs gone

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Southpaugh posted:

Russia has made some territorial gains, particularly in the south, but the air assault around Kyiv was repulsed. But considering Ukraine is doing poo poo like arming random civilians and Zelensky is making some real doomer statements, things probably aren't going great for them.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

AP Photography NFT Marketplace

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

paul_soccer12 posted:

Idk

What's up with u

w8in for eldin ring m8

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Russia likely gave them a deadline confidentially, the more I think about it, or the wargames and military posture clearly signalled one.

Zelensky didn’t know what would happen when the clock ran out, NATO did, and they kept encouraging him while pulling everyone out.

A lot of it that us (the general public) didn’t have much to go on so you sort of had to trust that the US wasn’t just gaming the situation.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's pointless to try moralizing great power politics. It's all awful end to end. All of them are bad and doing terrible things across the globe. Trying to find unique villains is falling for someone's propaganda and is inevitably overlooking some other great power's culpability in creating the situation.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lumpentroll posted:

post a good post

:owned:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
They didn't give Ukraine any of those, though?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hrmm
Let me test this

Putin is an addled strongman desperately clutching at relevance and his country's long gone glory days as his body and mind deteriorate.

And the US and NATO served him up Ukraine like a slice of prime rib at Golden Corral

Is there actually something to the Putin has Parkinson's thing or is it like Trump has tertiary syphilis which people said mostly because it was funny

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Didn't the gas deal with the Germans fall through before the invasion start it? That feels like it could have caused a "gently caress it, nothing left to lose" calculation from Putin.

Yeah it seemed like Ukraine/NATO just flipped the table yesterday so I dunno what was left to haggle over. No NS2, no minsk 2, and nato membership non negotiable.

I know Zelensky was in a difficult position since he'd face coup/assassination so he may have had his eyes more on domestic politics and thought this could blow over.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

no i won't believe this is real, sorry

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

not like this… :negative:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pisssssssssss

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

A lot of it that us (the general public) didn’t have much to go on so you sort of had to trust that the US wasn’t just gaming the situation.

In hindsight, a lot of the certainty in US statements seems pretty loving ominous in terms of knowing what would happen when time expired and letting it get there deliberately.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Donbass is like Harry Potter, who was abused by the Dursleys (Ukraine) for many years. And finally, he received a letter from Hogwarts (Russia), in which Dumbledore (Putin) recognizes him as a wizard (Russian) and sends Hagrid (the Russian army) after him.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

frankenfreak posted:

They didn't give Ukraine any of those, though?

just quote the funny meme IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PawParole posted:

Donbass is like Harry Potter, who was abused by the Dursleys (Ukraine) for many years. And finally, he received a letter from Hogwarts (Russia), in which Dumbledore (Putin) recognizes him as a wizard (Russian) and sends Hagrid (the Russian army) after him.

thank u for this it all makes sense now