Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
DCC is releasing what looks to be a big dungeon crawl module written by Harley Stroh. The gimmick is the dungeon itself is a puzzle, and the map has four different axes that rotate throughout the course of the module, changing the layout mid-adventure.

It also looks like they include a second blank game board so you can design your own dungeons around this idea.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/devillich/dungeon-crawl-classics-100-music-of-the-spheres-is-chaos/description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
IGG was always fine if you stayed away from flexible funding projects and didn't back the pie-in-the-sky revolutionary tech gadget nonsense that was clearly over-promising. I backed a few small games on it back when it was originally competing with KS, and never had any problems.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

This is absolutely a personal peeve thing, but IGG just lacks some basic ease of use features that drives me nuts. What reason is there to not have an option to sort by time remaining on a project?!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Ultimate Edition of 51st State is now up on Gamefound. Reprint/deluxification/new expansion, I think? I've only ever owned a cheap copy of the base game I found at Half-Price Books years ago and never have gotten around to playing it. Unlike the Robinson Crusoe campaign, so far not piled with pointless minis.
https://gamefound.com/projects/portalgames/51st-state-ultimate-edition?ref=homepage-featured_1

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

malkav11 posted:

The Ultimate Edition of 51st State is now up on Gamefound. Reprint/deluxification/new expansion, I think? I've only ever owned a cheap copy of the base game I found at Half-Price Books years ago and never have gotten around to playing it. Unlike the Robinson Crusoe campaign, so far not piled with pointless minis.
https://gamefound.com/projects/portalgames/51st-state-ultimate-edition?ref=homepage-featured_1

I've generally heard good things about this game but never played it. I'm tempted, although that's kind of a steep price.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've generally heard good things about this game but never played it. I'm tempted, although that's kind of a steep price.
I'm kind of annoyed that I bought the Master Set and the previous expansions and if I just want the new stuff (upgraded box and components, promos, new expansion) it's getting pretty drat close to the "Ultimate" version of the game already. Like it's $20 difference. So basically the Master Set and expansions I bought are only worth... $20??? And then shipping's going to be like $30.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Has anyone seen this? Thoughts?

Sorry if it's already been discussed. I looked back a few pages to check.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/haxanstudios/astro-inferno

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Noam Chomsky posted:

I had not seen if before and god drat, it looks rad.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Kickstarter produces so, so many examples of "Bwuh" and RPGs in particular are a... devilishly large part of that economy.

There is so much wrong with the Astro Inferno page, I'm not even sure where to start (actually, I am -- it's my issue with the two female archetypes being predictably super-gendered while all the guys get to be more universal archetypes). So many proper nouns and arbitrary capitalizations, some admittedly wicked art that would have appealed to high school metalhead me, so much quickplay without any actual rules extant (and it's a story game!) And they even repeat use of the word "legendary" in their two distinct sub-headers.

It's a lot, but forget about it. It's RPG Kickstarter, Jake.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

Kickstarter produces so, so many examples of "Bwuh" and RPGs in particular are a... devilishly large part of that economy.

There is so much wrong with the Astro Inferno page, I'm not even sure where to start (actually, I am -- it's my issue with the two female archetypes being predictably super-gendered while all the guys get to be more universal archetypes). So many proper nouns and arbitrary capitalizations, some admittedly wicked art that would have appealed to high school metalhead me, so much quickplay without any actual rules extant (and it's a story game!) And they even repeat use of the word "legendary" in their two distinct sub-headers.

It's a lot, but forget about it. It's RPG Kickstarter, Jake.

TG Kickstarter Thread 3: Forget it, Jake. It's Kickstarter.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Lawlicaust posted:

Orange Nebula just launched a second campaign for Unsettled for people who missed the first one and with 3 new planets and some other expansion items for people who already have the first game:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orangenebula/unsettled-board-game-all-new-content

Unsettled is a fun cooperative exploration/adventure game. The Kickstarter does a better job explaining it than I could. Orange Nebula always makes high quality components and includes great organizers with their games.

These funding levels are very confusing. You only get two planets unless you go all in? Jeez

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jarvisi posted:

These funding levels are very confusing. You only get two planets unless you go all in? Jeez

You can add on planet packs as add-ons all you like. The base set comes with the first two packed in.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't think it got discussed here but it came up and got roasted at F&F (the game didn't get roasted, just the kickstarter page, though I think many are looking forward to it getting the F&F treatment).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Wow, the female archetypes. All like "Sharpening her claws up the back of the Grimlaw, the Demonatrix utilizes advanced Vulvatech slickwear to cloud the minds and harden the... hearts of mortal men" type poo poo. Like the sort of thing Penny-Arcade would crank out when they realize it's 11:30 PM on a Tuesday.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

theironjef posted:

Wow, the female archetypes. All like "Sharpening her claws up the back of the Grimlaw, the Demonatrix utilizes advanced Vulvatech slickwear to cloud the minds and harden the... hearts of mortal men" type poo poo. Like the sort of thing Penny-Arcade would crank out when they realize it's 11:30 PM on a Tuesday.

Ding-ding. Exactly. There's only two and they are -directly- sexualized whereas the guys are all supercool-mysterious power fantasies. Whatevs, man.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

theironjef posted:

Well, I wasn’t planning on backing it, but you sold me on it

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

StarkRavingMad posted:

How kuh-RAY-zee!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Alright, but you aren't getting any of what I wrote, that's in my game Fuckwolves: Rise of the Lubricans, which will be kickstarting in April.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

theironjef posted:

Alright, but you aren't getting any of what I wrote, that's in my game Fuckwolves: Rise of the Lubricans, which will be kickstarting in April.

I though you couldn't have NFSW titles on Kickstarter

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Looks like GameFound is experimenting with branching into supporting board game media projects. You've probably seen that things like The Dice Tower and The Secret Cabal have run KS campaigns as opposed to or in addition to drip-funding like Patreon. Well, GF is starting with a relatively small but long-running player with DriveThruReview. This will be interesting for everyone wondering if smaller and stranger campaigns can survive the transition to this smaller platform.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kwyndig posted:

Fickwulfs then?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Gently Caress-Wolves.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Kwyndig posted:

Nice timing for my campaign to hit 69 backers. :O

At first I thought I had completely overestimated the time frame, with 20 days. Basically I reached almost all of those backers in the first 2-3 days, and then it's been sputtering along at almost no gain. However, now after a week or so, I'm starting to see people mentioning it on other platforms, like youtube channels doing weekly updates on kickstarters and other facebook groups and pages giving shout-outs. It's not transferring into more backers yet, but I think it'll add a few more backers towards the second half, and having those extra days for added traction might be helpful.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 23, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Noam Chomsky posted:

Aw, look at all the St. Peter's crosses! A nice Christian game. You just don't see that these days!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What's he cross about?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

As if things couldn't get worse, I got a notice from a kickstarter I just backed that their printing prices (I believe in the US) have doubled in the last WEEK due to labour issues in Finland. This one will luckily be fine, dude's been doing these like clockwork for a year and has to wait on the kickstarter funds instead of just using profits from the old zine, but stuff is getting bad.

I've been banging this particular drum for the better part of a year now, but for indie TRPG publishers in particular (board game designers don't really have this luxury), I really cannot stress enough that you want to be real, real wary of giving in to the urge to do hardcopy print runs unless you are unquestionably sure that you can withstand the costs of production and shipping going up substantially between when your project funds and when it's finished. I know a lot of people hate pdf-only projects but to be blunt, I think casually agreeing to do a hardcopy print run these days verges on the irresponsible.

dwarf74 posted:

Fairly or not, IGG is still, to me, that place where you go to get scammed.

Perhaps more pertinently, if the issue with Kickstarter is them dabbling in blockchain, Indiegogo has also dabbled in blockchain/crypto stuff and hasn't made any sort of hard commitment to avoid it, so trading one for another based solely on that criteria is more a sidegrade than an upgrade.

As for other options, people do crowdfund through itch.io's "itchfunding" setup but it doesn't seem to be great for any sort of "bigger than a zine" style projects...most itchfunding campaigns are for like a couple thousand dollars at most, with one of the biggest earning ones topping out around $7-8000. There's a big middle ground between zine games and Avatar the Ten Million Dollar Airbender, and itch just doesn't seem like it's a viable path for projects in the vein of Monster Care Squad, Hard Wired Island, etc. Like this Kickstarter here for a 3rd party Lancer supplement. The initial ask was $5,000 and they're on track to finish out with over $16,000. From what I've seen of itchfunded projects, they might not even be all the way to 5k by this point.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My copy of 1983's THE THIRD WORLD WAR version of 1989's WW3 has arrived in 2021's starting date of what it might be.

Strange timing.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kai Tave posted:

I've been banging this particular drum for the better part of a year now, but for indie TRPG publishers in particular (board game designers don't really have this luxury), I really cannot stress enough that you want to be real, real wary of giving in to the urge to do hardcopy print runs unless you are unquestionably sure that you can withstand the costs of production and shipping going up substantially between when your project funds and when it's finished. I know a lot of people hate pdf-only projects but to be blunt, I think casually agreeing to do a hardcopy print run these days verges on the irresponsible.

What's the view on giving people an at cost print on demand voucher? That seems to circumvent the risk for both parties.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kai Tave posted:

Perhaps more pertinently, if the issue with Kickstarter is them dabbling in blockchain, Indiegogo has also dabbled in blockchain/crypto stuff and hasn't made any sort of hard commitment to avoid it, so trading one for another based solely on that criteria is more a sidegrade than an upgrade.

My understanding is that the founder of IGG was into crypto, and they tried to launch a crypto token and failed, but that said founder has since left and IGG have hard pivoted away from crypto and all the bullshit around it.

quote:

The following content, activities, and Perks are prohibited on our website, including any content you link externally on our website.
Any type of Campaign that could be considered an initial coin offering (“ICO”) or a Campaign that offers cryptocurrency or other digital asset in token form that could be considered a Securities Offering

Source

This is prohibited on the grounds that it's an unregulated security, mind you, rather than a moral blight on the world, but it's firmer language than Kickstarter has ever had.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
More Hard Wired Island from our own Ettin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ettin/hard-wired-island-stories-from-l5

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/kaitave_/status/1496801413027885057

This was delightful, from a "review" of Hard Wired that Ettin, ah, repurposed.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Heh that rules. What a chump.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Heh that rules. What a chump.

The review reminds me of the recurring joke David Letterman did where the camera would pan to Paul Newman in the audience, who would say "Where are the drat singing cats?" except it's not a joke, that dude is straightforwardly upset that a progressive post-cyberpunk game isn't a regressive cyberpunk game.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
A couple things about Astro Inferno:

1) I didn't think the female archetypes were /that/ flagrantly sexist. Gendered compared to the male ones, but not full VAGINAWHORE RAPECHASM like in LotFP or whatever.

2) Why is the Legendary Edition the same book with a different cover but much, much shittier color?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

sasha_d3ath posted:

2) Why is the Legendary Edition the same book with a different cover but much, much shittier color?

You also get R-rated peekchurs!

Yeah, I don't get it either.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

For Small Creatures Such As We

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondblood/for-small-creatures-such-as-we

“Too Long; Didn't Read - For Small Creatures Such As We is a game where you are guided through the creation of alien species and then go on adventures with said aliens across the galaxy in a Firefly inspired "do jobs, get paid" game powered by playing cards.”

They had me hooked by a Sagan quote and reeled me in with playing card resolution mechanic and previous works accolades. Been a while since I backed such a small KS. Feels refreshing honestly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nice find, thanks!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

djfooboo posted:

For Small Creatures Such As We

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondblood/for-small-creatures-such-as-we

“Too Long; Didn't Read - For Small Creatures Such As We is a game where you are guided through the creation of alien species and then go on adventures with said aliens across the galaxy in a Firefly inspired "do jobs, get paid" game powered by playing cards.”

They had me hooked by a Sagan quote and reeled me in with playing card resolution mechanic and previous works accolades. Been a while since I backed such a small KS. Feels refreshing honestly.

Anna Blackwell is the writer (or one of the writers?) on this and her stuff is loving incredible. Apothecaria, Delve, Umbra - she's fantastic. And very pleasant to interact with.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HopperUK posted:

Anna Blackwell is the writer (or one of the writers?) on this and her stuff is loving incredible. Apothecaria, Delve, Umbra - she's fantastic. And very pleasant to interact with.

I posted about this one over in the Solo Roleplaying thread, I probably should have mentioned it here too. I love this quote from the campaign:

quote:

My design goal with this game is to empower you to create characters that feel as alive and engaging as your favourite tv show characters. It is my goal that when you discover that your amphibious engineer has laid a clutch of eggs in her water filled quarters and has named one of her tadpole-esque children after you, that you feel elation and joy. It is my goal that when you take a shortcut through a dangerous asteroid field and an unfortunate impact causes severe damage to your shipboard A.I and it can't remember who you are, that you cry as much as I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Don't want to necessarily count my chickens before they hatch here, but Blacklist Miniatures Series 1 had a good update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/blacklist-miniatures-fantasy-series-1/posts/3439186

Basically their investor money came in and they paid off QML (definitely the most important part out of all of this). Once they make sure their current backer addresses are correct, they'll send everything along and we'll finally have these things shipped out of the Florida warehouse.

I don't know if this was a one time bail-out for just the fantasy miniatures and that their next unfulfilled projects are DOA, but at least I'm pretty confident I'll see my minis.