Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kirios posted:

Help y'all.

I'm kind of dragging in Horizon: Forbidden West. It's...fine, I'm kind of enjoying it, but the first is definitely better. Do I keep at it or just suck it up and play Elden Ring? I really want to play Elden Ring day one.

Do what makes you happy, I think you answered your own question there ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
not being able to get the game to recognize my xbox controller is some amateur hour stuff. what the hell

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also in like hour one of playing I tried fight a dude on a horse and got beat by a gang of goats who decided they wanted to be part of the fight

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Well, for gently caress's sake, controller doesn't work, and a bunch of the recommendations are to start disabling other controllers and such. On top of a mouse and keyboard, I run a HOTAS and rudder pedals, and I'm not willing to risk breaking all that poo poo's connectivity to make an XBOX controller work, when it works in every other game I've ever played. This is dumb; hopefully they patch it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

on the upside with the stuttering, at least on my machine, it basically completely stops if you're staying in a small area (stealthing around, fighting a boss, etc). Mr. torrent sure kicks up the stuttering a notch or 10 tho

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Well, for gently caress's sake, controller doesn't work, and a bunch of the recommendations are to start disabling other controllers and such. On top of a mouse and keyboard, I run a HOTAS and rudder pedals, and I'm not willing to risk breaking all that poo poo's connectivity to make an XBOX controller work, when it works in every other game I've ever played. This is dumb; hopefully they patch it.

Sounds like you oughta rebind your HOTAS and rudder petals for elden ring... from a fighter jet cockpit

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That Selia Crystal Tunnel sure is something :thunk: A little nod to Sekiro fans in there too

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 25, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I had my character in the "sit down" position while I grabbed some food and stuff, and while I was up I noticed that he started glowing from afar; vaguely orange and yellow. It wasn't a message vote, and it was near to the first smithery you find near the santa merchant. Any ideas what that could have been?

beep by grandpa posted:

I wasn't sure if I was liking this game or not til i looked up and it was an hour past my bed time and the last hour was spent going "i'll explore this then i'll stop. ok but i'll explore this then i'll stop. okkkkk i'll explore this THEN I'll stop" by the time I stopped i had enough runes to level up 6 times :c00l:

also people in my discords keep saying my hosed up little undead char looks dope so i turned off HDR to take a proper screenshot (timg'd cause huge)

can't wait to play more tomorow!

She looks good. Assuming that's a Cave Story ref?

At least player models look better than DS3. This game has a good beard so I went with the male option first

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yesssssss thank you

E: first boss meaning tree sentinel or margit?

tree sentinel is totally gundyr on a horse

Tree Sentinel can do the exact same thing you can do where you hold down heavy attack and just run into enemies and instant kill them lmao

It also instantly killed me, which is fair

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Most annoying bug for me so far is that 90% of the enemies on the overworld are invisible (except their torch if they have one) until I get into their grill - makes it just a tad bit frustrating.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

fwiw i disassembled my flight sim setup and it still doesn't work lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Appoda posted:

She looks good. Assuming that's a Cave Story ref?

Holy loving poo poo I made that character in WoW with that exact name and exact look in 2005 and you are literally the first person on planet earth to correctly guess exactly what it was from lmfao. This made my night :unsmith:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 25, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
went to check the steam reviews for a laugh
while some of the negative reviews are justifiable, ie: people who have the game crash on startup or really really bad framerate issues, the funniest ones so far are the people complaining that the game is clunky when they try to play it with keyboard & mouse

somehow, these people have missed the last decade of fromsoft's work, and this is a surprise to them

Kirios posted:

Help y'all.

I'm kind of dragging in Horizon: Forbidden West. It's...fine, I'm kind of enjoying it, but the first is definitely better. Do I keep at it or just suck it up and play Elden Ring? I really want to play Elden Ring day one.
why would u post this in this thread. you should know our answer

(the answer is of course, play this)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Had a frustrating evening trying to play. Got about an hour in, with another two spent dealing with crashes and controller issues. I ended up giving up on the controller and using M+KB, which is workable if not preferable. Looking forward to getting a solid day in tomorrow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Avynte posted:

fwiw i disassembled my flight sim setup and it still doesn't work lol

Ha. Yeah, I guess I'm either going to have to wait for patch or just get a refund from Steam.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kirios posted:

Help y'all.

I was having a great time in horizon but am immediately throwing it on the backburner for Elden Ring. You should play Elden Ring imo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Some real drat good enemy designs in this game

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm pretty sure I saw tree sentinel using animations from gyobu

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

beep by grandpa posted:

on the upside with the stuttering, at least on my machine, it basically completely stops if you're staying in a small area (stealthing around, fighting a boss, etc). Mr. torrent sure kicks up the stuttering a notch or 10 tho

Yeah, it definitely seems to be something to do with loading as you move, it was WAY worse when I got the horse and started riding around. Even galloping vs running made a difference in the stuttering, it's wild.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phoix posted:

For people who want to PvP as much as possible -

Once you make it to the hub area the invader boss you can fight in the hall drops an item that makes it more likely to be invaded

How do you fight that boss? I didn't see one in there or a sign or anything.

Shear Modulus posted:

bloodstain? i don't believe it!

I bought the chainmail shirt from the merchant in the church

Look at Uncle Moneybags here, with his limitless shirt funds

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
game looks okay but weird that you middle aged weirdos care about video games still. don't you have a house to paint or stock options to adjust or something?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

feels good man

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I don’t understand what anyone is saying but I can play Elden ring in 15 monutes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

treat posted:

game looks okay but weird that you middle aged weirdos care about video games still. don't you have a house to paint or stock options to adjust or something?

How long do you think it takes to fiddle with stocks

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

How long do you think it takes to fiddle with stocks

depends how broke you are

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Playing Ghosts of Tsushima and these bears can’t do poo poo to me.

Can’t wait to get destroyed by these Elden Ring bears.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kirios posted:

Help y'all.

I think there's something special about playing a From game before it gets completely mapped and every secret gets discovered.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Got 4 hours of playtime in. Only real performance dips I'm seeing so far are in big fights like against Tree Sentinel where it spikes down low and stutters for a sec at times but it's still very playable overall. Running mostly high settings at 1080p with a RTX 2060, i5 4690. 16 GB RAM, getting a solid 50-60 fps at good areas, ~40-45 in the open world. Game is good so far.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

treat posted:

it's only weird if you're middle aged and trying to play this in 16:9 or on a console

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I was going to shelve this until a patch came out because of the hitches during boss fights, but it seems like the Nvidia control panel unlimited shader cache thing alleviated it. Performance is still poor everywhere, but the hitches during boss fights getting me killed was too much for me.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Elden Ring : imagine if breath of the wild had any enemy variety

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Holy loving poo poo I made that character in WoW with that exact name and exact look in 2005 and you are literally the first person on planet earth to correctly guess exactly what it was from lmfao. This made my night :unsmith:

Lol, I figured it ought to be obvious to anyone who's played the game. I haven't thought about it in years.

:cheers:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I really wish the combat played more like Bloodborne and Sekiro than Dark Souls, I didn't expect it to, but the combat just feels so lethargic in comparison. I'd kill for my quicksteps back.

The soundtrack has also been really really forgettable.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm getting a passable 50 FPS on 720p on my Ryzen 5 1500X + RX 480 combo, so it's definitely playable even if you've got a garbage system like mine. I still suffer from the occasional slowdown in the open world from what I assume is asset streaming, but everything in the more curated content runs fine. Really feels like the game wants you to explore a good amount before trying to tackle the main scenario stuff; Gundyr had some weird attacks that were hard to dodge, but Margit's got some real horseshit 4-5 hit combos that feel extremely hard to not get caught by if you aren't deliberately trying to bait out specific attacks.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

They died together.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I am almost certain Margit randomly varies the timing on his swings even if it's the same attack from instance to instance. If that's the case that's part of why that fight is so difficult.

I'm not complaining though, I love it, been awhile since a Fromsoft game tested me like the Margit fight did.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am almost certain Margit randomly varies the timing on his swings even if it's the same attack from instance to instance. If that's the case that's part of why that fight is so difficult.

I'm not complaining though, I love it, been awhile since a Fromsoft game tested me like the Margit fight did.

He's definitely one of the hardest early bosses they've ever done. He's not that bad but typically the early bosses don't have quite so many variations in attack patterns.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

ohhh

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Here we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Margit also has options as to what move he'll do next, I've never seen a boss combo into so many different strings of the same moves before in a Soulsborne. Some of his attacks will also change depending on the distance you are from him.

I've made it to about half health so far.