Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Play hearts of iron and make The Biggest Karelia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jeherrin posted:

Argos are also having a clearance of a very well reviewed compressor humidifier: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8833578?clickSR=slp:term:dehumidifier:9:9:1

Thanks for this tipoff, I ordered one on my store card. I find that damp air makes me cough and feel miserable and we certainly do need to cut down our energy bills going forward so fingers crossed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jedit posted:

No? Putin's demands have literally been that NATO withdraw membership from all countries that joined after the fall of the Soviet Union. He couldn't be more obvious in his desire to restore the Warsaw Pact if he took out a full page advert in the newspaper.

Putin is just going to publish the sequel to his favourite adventure book as a kid. "Me in Camp F."

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

sebzilla posted:

All withdrawn, loving cowards.

What else were they going to do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stop the war unless daddy starmer tells us not to doesn't really have the same ring to it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1496910778452127744

Testro
May 2, 2009
I kept signing up to energy companies who went bust, so I soon learnt to keep a spreadsheet of unit readings.

I used to have the heating on minimally - an hour before work, a couple of hours after work, and sporadically at weekends. If I went away, I'd turn it down to frost protection - and it always took about 24-36 hours to heat back up when I came home.

During 20/21, I knew that approach wouldn't be enough whilst working from home, so I just steeled myself for a bigger bill. I figured I'd had a refund on my commuting costs, so it'd work out. To my surprise, I found that having the heating on between 8am - 10pm actually used fewer units of gas than my minimal approach pre-pandemic.

I then found, during 21/22 that having it on all the time uses even less gas. I turn it down to 15C overnight, and turn it back up again when I get up in the morning (about 21C).

My theory is that it must be something to do with not letting the house cool down - that perhaps when the cold seeps into the brickwork, it's harder to warm it back up again and uses more energy oscillating wildly between highs and lows.

I had some friends try it out - in different houses (mine's a terrace, so I realise I could get be getting warmth from the neighbouring houses) - and they found the same.

The internet proclaims that this is nonsense and won't work, which is why I'd never tried it before. I'm sharing this because it worked for me, and I hope it helps some of you if you're in a position to try it out.

I also use dehumidifiers. I keep one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom; the two rooms that have more external walls than the other rooms. I bought some hygrometers - and these are really useful for seeing when the dehumidifier needs to be switched on. Other wise, obvious times are: during/after cooking, after showering, whilst drying clothes.

I also found greater luck with staying cool in the first part of the heatwave by leaving the windows shut and the dehumidifier running. Once it hit 30C, all bets were off - but I got a week or so of respite.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Ignore them & show the strength of their convictions?

This is fantastic. What a stupid country we live in.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Get suspended and call Starmer a poo poo oval office

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You must declare war.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
drat, Russia is actually going to war. Maybe the Labour right were right for once...

https://twitter.com/marcusjdl/status/1496942360541999107

Oh no they're just psychopaths who accidentally got one prediction right.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Thanks for this tipoff, I ordered one on my store card. I find that damp air makes me cough and feel miserable and we certainly do need to cut down our energy bills going forward so fingers crossed.

The distribution model that Argos use means I can’t get one, ironically; not delivering to SW17.

They’re delivering to my sister in Kent but of course she’s away for a bit so I guess after all that I’m not getting it. Can’t get it sent to her because she won’t be around to receive it.

I’m grateful that my profession (UX) is well enough paid ‘thanks’ to the pandemic that I can just about afford the hike, but I’d hoped to soften the blow a bit. I imagine they’re going to get very very expensive soon between supply chain fuckups and chip shortages.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is that his plan for Lords reform? :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jeherrin posted:

The distribution model that Argos use means I can’t get one, ironically; not delivering to SW17.

They’re delivering to my sister in Kent but of course she’s away for a bit so I guess after all that I’m not getting it. Can’t get it sent to her because she won’t be around to receive it.

I’m grateful that my profession (UX) is well enough paid ‘thanks’ to the pandemic that I can just about afford the hike, but I’d hoped to soften the blow a bit. I imagine they’re going to get very very expensive soon between supply chain fuckups and chip shortages.

Not being funny but I live near St Albans if you want to get it sent to me and then come and get it. I can stick it in my living room or something.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Huh, Corbyn was apparently blaming the whole Ukraine conflict on NATO aggression earlier. Bit disappointing to see him take such a superficial black and white position even if there is the kernel of a truth in there, implicitly letting Putin off the hook is dumb, not to mention it's just handing ammunition to the right.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 24, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Huh, Corbyn was apparently blaming the whole Ukraine conflict on NATO aggression earlier. Bit disappointing to see him take such a superficial blank and white position even if there is the kernel of a truth in there, implicitly letting Putin off the hook is dumb, not to mention it's just handing ammunition to the right.

Maybe he's just given up and is trying to kill Labour by loose association or something

J/k I know he's just an old Trot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you did want to dive among those ruins, I'd probably base it more around the atrocities committed against various trade unionists and other leftist groups in eastern Ukraine by fascists, and the blind eye that the government turned to them, but
a) Putin doesn't give a gently caress about that other than that they happen to be ethnic Russians and 'denazification' plays well in some circles and
b) even if he did you don't escalate from peacekeeping (which may be legitimate if those things are going on even without the consent of the state) to shelling the capital within less than a week unless you're playing something else
[also c) Putin definitely playing something else :ssh:]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

crispix posted:

bastard the finns should invade and gently caress him right up imo

putin, i mean
All Simo Hayah's relatives are now filling their mouths with snow and watching the Russian border very closely.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

lol someone has dobbed him in

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Not being funny but I live near St Albans if you want to get it sent to me and then come and get it. I can stick it in my living room or something.

Thank you. I'm carless so it makes it tricky, but I'll chat to my wife and we'll see. Trains are a potential option.

UK Goons Best Goons.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jeherrin posted:

Argos are also having a clearance of a very well reviewed compressor humidifier: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8833578?clickSR=slp:term:dehumidifier:9:9:1

Feck, sounds great but out of stock everywhere. Can anyone recommend another one?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i think this is the worst thing that could have come out of the russian invasion of ukraine.

all those what about us articles we ridiculed, but actually its the rush on unavailable humidifiers.

humidifiers ffs

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1496917743580454914
Nice to see all of the respectable UK politics sphere come together to go Full Jingo again.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

at least its an accurate representation of how short starmer is.

like this shouldnt matter and short people are fine but i feel like theres a lot of tom cruise poo poo going on in politics. more lies.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

Many of the new ones (of any type) have some kind of hepa/ionizer/UVC type thing that directly reduces bacteria and spores too.

just an fyi, the hepa filtration and uvc treatment are cool and good, but i'd avoid anything that has an ionizer function. a side effect of the ionization is that they generate ozone, which isn't good for you

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

Play hearts of iron and make The Biggest Karelia

Laatokka ja Ääninen ovat meirän! Petsamo takasi!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If we're doing mapgame solutions, the obvious answer is staring us in the face: Pax Mongolica. :colbert:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1496945666643267584

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
oh well that's okay then, thank you hermione dhevonne-cornwahl

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Astonishing developments in the American right wing, seems like a lifetime ago when they renamed French fries and called anyone who was not a psychotic bullet head a traitor.

https://twitter.com/KimIversenShow/status/1497059195199246337?t=5e-bzY8n3jjU-ZKh28a1lw

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Absolutely pathetic lmao

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
let it goooooo let it goooooo let your sovereignty and right to self-determination gooooooooo

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Russia should withdraw its troops, NATO should disband entirely, no war but class war.

Simple as

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I mean at this point the outcome is a foregone conclusion so actually yeah the rational choice is the one that doesn't involve thousands of people dying

Good job humans are fundamentally rational beings :thumbsup:
See I'd accept that Johnson's UK is a better place to live than Putin's Russia, but if we're comparing them as individuals personally I'd look at the ratio of "poo poo they pull":"stuff they can get away with", in which case uhhh

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I didn't realise those were the only two choices. But until Johnson does a photo shoot riding a horse bare chested I don't think they're really comparable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Borrovan posted:

See I'd accept that Johnson's UK is a better place to live than Putin's Russia, but if we're comparing them as individuals personally I'd look at the ratio of "poo poo they pull":"stuff they can get away with", in which case uhhh

c'mon Putin is way, way worse than Johnson in every conceivable way, including "poo poo they pull"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i think it'd be a better argument to compare boris to keith tbh

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The Gruaniad already normalising BoJo

He’s getting away with the partygate poo poo lmao

He might be a cheeky little rapscallion, but he’s OUR cheeky rapscallion

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

big scary monsters posted:

I didn't realise those were the only two choices. But until Johnson does a photo shoot riding a horse bare chested I don't think they're really comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Necrothatcher posted:

c'mon Putin is way, way worse than Johnson in every conceivable way, including "poo poo they pull"
Well yeah but I'm looking at the ratio here, Putin pulls way worse poo poo but he can get away with it. Johnson pulls exactly as much poo poo as he can get away with (maybe very slightly more), no idea what he'd do if he actually had the power to do more (but I'd guess it'd be a load of sex crimes)

I guess in some bizzaro world where Johnson had Putin's kind of power & didn't get immediately shivved due to incompetence, he'd probably just not care enough about anything to do Putin-level poo poo since he'd be too busy with all the sex crimes, but I'm not sure that makes him "better", even if the gross damage done is less

e:

Looke posted:

The Gruaniad already normalising BoJo

He’s getting away with the partygate poo poo lmao

He might be a cheeky little rapscallion, but he’s OUR cheeky rapscallion
Rally round the flag effect looking very noticeable