Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

pmchem posted:

PC Elden Ring chat. I see it has mixed reviews on steam, lots of complaints about performance issues. I'm fortunate not to be experiencing any problems. newer build: i7-12700K, 2TB WD SN850, ASUS TUF RTX 3060 (carryover), 32GB CL16 DDR4-3600 running at XMP timings. Windows 11, minimal software installs (e.g. no tweak/OC software, no unnecessary drivers). I'm playing with KB+M and doing well. Biggest annoyance is figuring out what menu / action controller icons map to what keys, as it changes based on context. Here's what I wrote down so far:

Check the settings (under system), there is an entire setting dedicated to just making sure all pop-ups etc display your keyboard and mouse inputs.

Edit: Been playing on a 970 GTX and my only complain (besides mid 40s framerate) is that things look a little glitchy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Playing as astrologer forced me to get used to switching weapons constantly and using the new 2H keybinding but god drat my brain just still cannot fully comprehend Y to interact and A to jump lol I feel like for me these would work better if they were reversed

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anybody else unable to get online on their Xbox? I've been having the Network status check failed error all morning.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Heath posted:

How many of you went straight to the beach first?

I did, the afternoon light on the water was beautiful. Looked like a Monet painting. Then I found the little secret running around

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big Bizness posted:

I did, the afternoon light on the water was beautiful. Looked like a Monet painting. Then I found the little secret running around

I’ve found two of those but I’m not sure what to do with them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Big Bizness posted:

The dung beetle? I found one around there

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

trying not to spoil too much for myself, is the performance on ps4 ok?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Check the settings (under system), there is an entire setting dedicated to just making sure all pop-ups etc display your keyboard and mouse inputs.

Edit: Been playing on a 970 GTX and my only complain (besides mid 40s framerate) is that things look a little glitchy right now.

Yeah I have the same video card and I've only had two issues so far. The first was the cutscene with Melina where she was supposed to give me the thing for the steed but her model never appeared and when she gets to the line that's like "And one more thing," nothing happened and I was just frozen in place sitting in front of the grace :wtc: nothing I could do but force quit so that kind of sucked

I also just randomly had this thing crash in the same area as well as I was hunting down guards but beyond that performance has been pretty good?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stratdax posted:

This doesn't help. I press the dodge button and maybe 2 seconds later my guys dodges. Too bad that's about 1.5 seconds too late because I've already been cleaved. 5 minutes into being in the open world I got teleported to the Silicone Mines and the enemies swarm me, stunlock me with exploding poo poo, and ranged enemies one shot snipe me. I managed to just sprint out of there and not engage with anything, only to have a swarm of giant birds completely swarm me, any one of which can one shot me. Like this comment:

There is absolutly not any telegraphing animation that after their staff drives down the ground explodes, and then just when you think you've avoided it, the ground explodes a second time. Oh yeah and there's 6 of them plus ranged attacks.

Other people have given you more specific advice about the area you're in, but I have some more general advice, and it's what I think you should do if you really are convinced that the game is just total bullshit.

Put it down. Go play something else for a while. And by "for a while," I mean "for literally as long as it takes until you feel like maybe trying Elden Ring again." Even if that's weeks from now, or months, or even years. This is assuming you've already played too much to refund, of course.

When I first played Dark Souls, right after it came out on PC, I felt the same way you do right now. I stumbled into a higher-level area I wasn't "supposed" to be in yet because I didn't know which way was the right way to go. I stopped playing, wrote the game off as "not for me," and moved on. I think Guild Wars 2 was just about to come out or something. Then, like four or five months later, I got bored one day and decided to try again, and this time I went the right way and the game clicked. I loved it. I beat it and immediately bought Demon's Souls for the PS3 I'd recently gotten and loved that, too. I've been loving the series ever since.

But I hated it on first impression. It took months for me to come around to giving it another try.

Maybe that'll work for you. Maybe it won't. Again, if you're already past the point of being able to refund, there's nothing to lose from just letting it sit for a while until you get the urge to try again. I promise you that unless Elden Ring is a rare, severe stumble on From Software's part, these games are not the unfair bullshit they may first appear, but I also completely understand that their first impressions can be very harsh. And I can guarantee that if you keep slamming your head against it while not having any fun, you'll probably just come to resent the game's existence and not give it another try ever again. So that's why I recommend that, if you feel like you might be reaching that point, just put it down and try again in a few months, or whenever you're like, "eh gently caress it, I'll try that Elden Ring game again."

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Heath posted:

If you're getting frustrated try something else. You have tons of save slots.

I guess, I just thought this build was supposed to be fairly friendly. Here's what I'm sitting on right now.

Did I do something wrong?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Deviant posted:

I guess, I just thought this build was supposed to be fairly friendly. Here's what I'm sitting on right now.

Take some armor off so you're not Heavy Load anymore. The rule in Souls games is that fat rolling is way more deadly than heavy armor is protective.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You have next to no HP and way too much int if you're still early in the game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vintersorg posted:

This too, you're built like a distance mage but you're equipped like a melee fighter

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah there was a video I watched before release that went over how combat is different and that people were likely having issues because they were R1ing all the time like you would in a Souls game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXsFQDnqxBs

Hmmm. So it sounds like when I’m in melee mode, I should be doing more heavy attacks, and blocking/guard countering instead of the usual Soulsborne party timing game (which I’m useless at). I’ll have to practice that next time I get in game.

Heavy attacks are still kinda pointless when using magic, though.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

blue squares posted:

I'm doing what the game tells me to do and following the path on the map. I didn't know he was considered the hardest early game boss because I haven't been reading anything about the game while playing it (or before)

Did you go directly to the castle in BOTW too? Just because it's the biggest thing in front of you doesn't mean you have to go there.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This may be the only game I’ve ever played with satisfying mounted combat

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's seems like parrying is way easier this time around, I could barely parry anything in DS3 but in this one it seems like the timing as much looser and it seems pretty easy to pull off.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
After so many games it feels weird for faith to have so much really cool poo poo. Three games of heals and nerfed lightning and suddenly we're the dragon gods and avatars of the elements.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Heath posted:

Take some armor off so you're not Heavy Load anymore. The rule in Souls games is that fat rolling is way more deadly than heavy armor is protective.

I've been on medium most of the game but point taken.

Vintersorg posted:

Cool, so instead of having no HP, i can do no damage.

Heath posted:

This too, you're built like a distance mage but you're equipped like a melee fighter

The game isn't exactly throwing distance mage weapons at me. I've found all sorts of cool melee weapons i can't use. I was trying to do that to handle the situation after i cast a few times and now the big armored knight is directly in my face and now I am dead.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Does this help for anyone?

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Elden_Ring#Issues_unresolved

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
drat the horse is so nice for a wretch. I can just zip in and grab loot and zip back out. Now I'm missing runes sure but I can always come back when I feel like it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Deviant posted:

well what's more important- do you want to be one-shot by things or swinging an extra time or two or three?

upgrading your weapon is almost always way more valuable early in the game anyway

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PC chat. Playing on low with an RX 570, a Ryzen 5 2600, and 32 GB. Game mostly runs decently but sometimes dips and stutters. Not very well optimized. I might update drivers next, see if that helps.

Vintersorg posted:

Heath posted:

Hah, poo poo, I’m going for something similar. I started as Astrologer and I’ve been mostly spamming spells and finishing enemies off with a short sword when they’re low on health/if they’re magic-resistant.

So I shouldn’t necessarily be stacking Int? Is there any value in a hybrid magic-damage/physical-damage build?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
before i start playing is dual classing viable? ie Magic/fighter

or even faith/sorcery or should you stick with one

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just how much did I actually miss if people are level 25 before Margit and I'm level 2 lmao? How is the game this big?

I'm still pretty negative on the crafting though. It doesn't really add anything to me.

e: Def goin' Quality though for a build, those spells look loving sick

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

well what's more important- do you want to be one-shot by things or swinging an extra time or two or three?

upgrading your weapon is almost always way more valuable early in the game anyway

I did that as much as I'm able with the cheapy stones, but I have yet to find another sorcery weapon

I feel like I'm in a weird catch 22 damned if I do/dont situation here.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Any fixes yet for enemies in the open world being straight up invisible?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Early game spoiler question. Please do not give me any details that aren’t necessary.

i did not take the plunge. I don’t know what the plunge is. I went a completely different direction. Did I miss anything super important that I should maybe give attention to?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Deviant posted:

unless Elden Ring is radically different from Dark Souls, 29 int is waaaaay too much early in the game, and keeping it at 15-20 early on should keep your damage fairly good. you really need more HP/stamina

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

boop the snoot posted:

Early game spoiler question. Please do not give me any details that aren’t necessary.

i did not take the plunge. I don’t know what the plunge is. I went a completely different direction. Did I miss anything super important that I should maybe give attention to?

You won't die

It's the tutorial, it loops back to where you went instead

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

This may be the only game I’ve ever played with satisfying mounted combat

It's so loving good.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Just how much did I actually miss if people are level 25 before Margit and I'm level 2 lmao? How is the game this big?

I'm still pretty negative on the crafting though. It doesn't really add anything to me.

e: Def goin' Quality though for a build, those spells look loving sick

I mean, it's an open world game. You can just run around and find caves and poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pollyanna posted:

PC chat. Playing on low with an RX 570, a Ryzen 5 2600, and 32 GB. Game mostly runs decently but sometimes dips and stutters. Not very well optimized. I might update drivers next, see if that helps.

Hah, poo poo, I’m going for something similar. I started as Astrologer and I’ve been mostly spamming spells and finishing enemies off with a short sword when they’re low on health/if they’re magic-resistant.

So I shouldn’t necessarily be stacking Int? Is there any value in a hybrid magic-damage/physical-damage build?

There is but the point they’re making is they’ve gone way too hard on Int too soon not that you shouldn’t stack Int ever.

It’s important to get some more HP so that fights are less “be perfect or die”.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Deviant posted:

I did that as much as I'm able with the cheapy stones, but I have yet to find another sorcery weapon

I feel like I'm in a weird catch 22 damned if I do/dont situation here.

you're not

focus on what ever weaknesses are giving you the most problems, you can always respect later from what reviews have said. or maybe vary your combat/abilities up. the game gives you tons of tools for all situations. many times i've gotten myself out of jams by remembering moves i haven't been using

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I'm still fighting the knight in the dark room that I can't cheese with magic and summons but I can slowly feel myself getting better. I'll defeat him. Maybe. Hopefully. :negative:

EDIT: FINALLY MANAGED TO DEFEAT HIM!

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 25, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHISHKABOB posted:

I mean, it's an open world game. You can just run around and find caves and poo poo.

I feel like I did a lot of that lmao, it took hours to even be able to level up. I thought maybe runes were just rarer than souls

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Margit is... quite hard.

also I'm getting horizontal screen tearing even with vsync on (or off)

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Power stancing rules so hard, even with just two straight swords.

Has anyone found any scythes yet? I also need a basic catalyst to try sorcery as a wretch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are the requirements for power stancing the same as in DS2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Deviant posted:

Early game your stats aren't going to increase your damage that much. Each weapon has a base damage, plus a modifier based on some multiplier of the stats. As you upgrade the weapon the base damage increases, but so does the scaling multiplier. So early game pumping str or int isn't going to make you hit that much harder. You basically want to get your stats to the minimum needed for the weapon you want, and plow a load of points into health and stamina.

Yes, the game does nothing to tell you this.

Basically I'd start two-handing whatever str weapon you can, and get that upgraded asap while you level your health and stamina.