Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drat, Twitter cropped off the top of his head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zedd posted:

Everything about those Fantastic Beasts movies is a mess but them hastily making up a new universe name; and then not even using it for the movies is funny.

Wizarding World: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Wizarding World: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Wizarding World: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Like those ain't exactly stellar titles but they at least make sense.

I legit think there's a chance that once Fantastic Beasts is all said and done, WB quietly retires the Wizarding World branding.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If they dropped the "Fantastic Beasts" they'd probably do better business, tbh. Too much baggage. Literally nobody would care if they did it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Is Newt even the protagonist anymore?!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I do appreciate that the name for this one is basically just "Your favorite character is in it: We promise this one will be like the old movies you liked"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
:lol: excellent

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vincent posted:

Oh hell yes!

maybe don't get too excited

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1496667135006941184?s=20&t=z7Pz_WypZPfOVzJaDNIrow

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

And Zendaya is Meechee

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is that a popular haircut in the wizarding world?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Xealot posted:

I have a whole rant about this. Although there's definitely an n+25 nostalgia echo for specific IP like Rugrats or Power Rangers, the generational nostalgia things you're talking about seem like they're about something else.

80's nostalgia is still going pretty strong after more than a decade, just as 50's nostalgia was still a big deal well through the late 70's and 80's, and I think it all has to do with populist social conservatism following economic uncertainty. A common feature of nostalgia bait about the 80's is the sort of idyllic "simple suburban life" at the center of it, Stranger Things or It or The Goldbergs or whatever. "Remember when kids could be kids and life was innocent," all these half-remembered associations of Reagan-era family values conservatism.

The actual 80's worked the same way. There was a mass-popular taste for "a simpler time" that latched onto the idyllic suburban associations of the postwar 50's as some counterpoint to the social and economic unrest people recalled of the late 60's through 70's. "Remember when life was simpler and more innocent." Before the 70's recession, or Vietnam, or the War on Drugs, etc. etc.

But the thing is, it isn't cyclical in the sense it recurs every X decades. The 50's and early 60's also birthed media about how people yearned for "a simpler time," but the immediate prior decades were full of World Wars, the Stock Market Crash, the Great Depression, etc. People looked back more than 50 years, before their current lifetimes, to the Gilded Age as the go-to period of prosperity and tranquility. Disneyland's Main Street USA (which opened in 1955) was an idyllic portrayal of Americana circa ~1900. Lots of media, like Twilight Zone, harped on the idea that something wholesome and simple about life in the Gay 90's has now been lost.

Obviously, the truth of life during these periods doesn't matter, but there's something decidedly political about what period associations resonate in the historical memory of previous generations.

Well also from a practical standpoint you're dealing with a lot of writers dealing with their own past. Lucas makes something like AMERICAN GRAFFITI because that was him, with his friends, driving around town. But it never really makes the argument that things were supposed to be better then (indeed between that and the sequel I don't think we're meant to believe that at all). I don't think there's a writer alive who hasn't delved into the nostalgia pool in some way or another because it's so potent.

While there's something to your argument, there's also just the plain old fashioned laziness of the business. Nostalgia always sells so there's always going to be something that trades on that. But the big wrinkle you get now is something like STRANGER THINGS where the Duffer brothers weren't even 80s kids but they loved 80s movies, so their whole show is nostalgia for a world created in Amblin movies and Stephen King books and not anything that was actually authentic to their experience. It's always the little details that expose it too, like the kid in ST who has a THE THING poster on his wall.

I wasn't that big a fan of it, but one of the things I liked about LADYBIRD is that Gerwig doesn't try packing the soundtrack with bangers. The songs that the character likes are kinda lame and not what you'd put on a Best of the 90s list, but it does feel authentic and true to the character and that time and place. Contrast that with something like BABY DRIVER which often feels like Edgar Wright just picking the coolest songs from his collection.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

I'm confused about why they're making a movie a out doans.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Maybe testing the waters for a full 0079 remake/Origin adaptation by doing the episode people wouldn't be too mad about if they hosed up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm confused about why they're making a movie a out doans.

It is a little weird that they're circling around remaking the original but haven't actually pulled the trigger yet. Cucuruz Doan's Island is a bit of an odd duck because Tomino hated how the episode turned out for reasons that have never been confirmed, and asked it be removed from overseas broadcasts of the series. It was a standalone story so they could do that without effecting the rest of the series. Which also means that the movie version can stand by itself without being part of a larger series remake.

Plus there's an ongoing Cucuruz Doan manga, so there's a lot more Cucuruz Doan content to pull from while they fleshed out the episode into a full length feature.

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe testing the waters for a full 0079 remake/Origin adaptation by doing the episode people wouldn't be too mad about if they hosed up.

My theory, made purely out of my own imagination, is that the planned Unicorn 2, which they said would be done in the format of a "western drama", is a test of a new anime format. Weekly, hour long, OVA quality televised anime.

It's an insane idea, but if they can make it work, then they can do the Mobile Suit Gundam remake in that same format. And that would be huge.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 25, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The fact that the sequel wasnt called The Monster Book of Monsters will never not annoy me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlueBayou posted:

The fact that the sequel wasnt called The Monster Book of Monsters will never not annoy me

Quidditch Through the Ages: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They updated the poster to add Tika and Colleen (The release date is for Spain and the UK among other territories)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger vs Kiramager vs Senpaiger

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What's Sempaiger? Are they doing movie-exclusive sentais like how there are movie-exclusive Kamen Riders now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A teaser posted on social media implies that Senpaiger is going to be old hero cameos, but aside from that we don't know.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

nvm

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 28, 2022

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Applejack noooooo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/FantasticBeasts/status/1498308257164709888?t=nEJgEQR7IOL88ZVwIroMvA&s=19

Fantastic Beasts
The Secrets of Dumbledore

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

flashy_mcflash posted:

Applejack noooooo

Poor freckles.

Thought of aliens and flies

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That says Dumbledorf

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That says Dumbledorf

lol it does

Someone also said that they should have just kept "and where to find them" as the naming convention and it works so much better

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

The Crimes of Grindlewald and Where to Find Them

The Secrets of Dumbledore and Where to Find Them

I mean, it still sucks, but it's better than trying to stick with the Fantastic Beasts naming convention when this poo poo has nothing to do with that anymore

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That says Dumbledorf

That one youtuber is finally vindicated. (it is a Shrieking Shack joke)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is the secret that he's gay?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like how they have Newt up there on the top like he matters.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That says Dumbledorf

Yea, it's Tim Conway walking around on his knees with a robe and wand. What of it?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

That says Dumbledorf

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mister Chief posted:

Is the secret that he's gay?
There is enough in the books that he is indeed gay or bi/pan but I'm P sure Rowling regrets making him explicitly gay at this point

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's a remake of Friedkin's Cruising except with wizards.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

There aren't enough wands on this poster, how am I meant to know its a movie with magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zedd posted:

There is enough in the books that he is indeed gay or bi/pan but I'm P sure Rowling regrets making him explicitly gay at this point
"Wow Dumbledore, you say that the Elder Wand has unlocked a mysterious tome of ancient magic.... that PROVES there are only two biomagical alignments? THE GRAND WIZARD CONGRESS WILL NEVER LET THIS TRUTH BE TOLD!"