Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

gileadexile posted:

I know it's not going to be easy, but surely its doable?

gileadexile posted:

I think I wanna try it myself

I was in this place with a '98 Honda Shadow a couple years ago, rough idle, trouble starting, dies at stop signs, etc. "Clean the carbs" was echoed in a few places. Getting the carbs out of the frame looked like an absolute bastard, and sending them off to be cleaned would cost half the local value of the bike. I was lucky though (in no small part thanks to the folks here), turned out to be a couple pilot/idle screws not being adjusted properly, so I dodged that bullet, but I was gearing up for a battle at the time.

Rootin' for ya, bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Does anyone have any experience flying with motorcycle gear, specifically a helmet? Any best practices?

Planning to visit some family and was considering renting a bike there.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

T Zero posted:

Does anyone have any experience flying with motorcycle gear, specifically a helmet? Any best practices?

I've done it for a couple of fly and rides; believe Coydog has flown across the Atlantic with gear when he did a riding holiday in Europe.

Take your helmet as a carry-on "personal item" in a helmet bag; I wore my riding jeans and packed my jacket, gloves, etc. into a duffel as my actual carry-on bag. Don't check your stuff if you want it to actually show up with you at the other end of your flight, especially if you have a layover somewhere. I wouldn't check your helmet, ever - luggage gets thrown around like nobody's business.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

T Zero posted:

As mentioned, helmet and duffle as carry on. Also, don't forget you can jam a bunch of soft stuff like gloves etc. inside your helmet if you're really tight for space in the duffle. If you have to check a bag, just don't put your helmet in it. I wouldn't worry about it going missing if you check it when you check in, but never gate-check anything with any value.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thirding all that, though the only time I ever did it was over a decade ago when the airline I used still let you have two free checked luggages.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've packed my pants, and flown with my motorcycle jacket, helmet and boots (astar Toucans) as they would take the most space. Even with flying ryan air getting the helmet on as extra special cabin luggage was no issue. It was mentioned specifically in their cabin luggage rules.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

T Zero posted:

Wear it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yeah. You can indeed just wear your suit. Saves you a lot of luggage space. You wouldn't be the first guy flying in motorcycle gear.
Perhaps take out the protectors if they make it uncomfortable.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
I flew to buy a bike late last year, wearing gear. It was no real problem but they did insist on me taking off my riding pants and jacket through the scanner. Helmet bag was no issue at all.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Tomorrow I'll be checking out an '03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, and if I decide to pull the trigger I might have the Yamaha dealership put tires on it before riding it back next week (they're 10 years old, so it's that or renting a trailer). Any tire recommendations for general street use?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

Tomorrow I'll be checking out an '03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, and if I decide to pull the trigger I might have the Yamaha dealership put tires on it before riding it back next week (they're 10 years old, so it's that or renting a trailer). Any tire recommendations for general street use?

I like Pirelli Angel GTs for general street tires, should be able to get them in sizes for a ZRX. Used to be Pilot Power 2CT / Pilot Road fan, but found I prefer the profile on the Pirellis.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

I like Pirelli Angel GTs for general street tires, should be able to get them in sizes for a ZRX. Used to be Pilot Power 2CT / Pilot Road fan, but found I prefer the profile on the Pirellis.

My 1100 is wearing angel gt 2s right now. For the 1200, you can get the rear in a regular or heavy construction, the heavy has an "(A)" in its size code. I was stuck with the regular rear.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I take it the heavy is preferable to balance out the faster wear in the rear?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

I take it the heavy is preferable to balance out the faster wear in the rear?

The heavy duty tyre is for if you do lots of loaded luggage/passenger rides, the center compoundn is harder with the trade-off of less straight line traction when unloaded. Handling at lean is identical. If this sounds like you, go for it!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Is there a rough estimate anyone can give as to how fast rear tires wear down? Like how many mm per kkm or something like that? I'm curious approximately how long my tires would potentially stay legal.
Not gonna matter atm as I've got a replacement lined up before my shop starts getting busy, but I am trying to figure out if I am being overly cautious.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Is there a rough estimate anyone can give as to how fast rear tires wear down? Like how many mm per kkm or something like that? I'm curious approximately how long my tires would potentially stay legal.
Not gonna matter atm as I've got a replacement lined up before my shop starts getting busy, but I am trying to figure out if I am being overly cautious.

You’re being very Swedish friendo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What kind of tyres they are is a good start :)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would think that there's so many variables that apply to tread life, such that once you're controlling most of them to get a straight answer, you're actually asking if there's a rough estimate of how long tires should last on your bike

But I'm willing to be wrong

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

You can calculate it yourself! After each ride, measure the tread with a micrometer, compare it to the last ride's value, and figure the wear rate per kilometer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

I would think that there's so many variables that apply to tread life, such that once you're controlling most of them to get a straight answer, you're actually asking if there's a rough estimate of how long tires should last on your bike

Ding

Sagebrush posted:

You can calculate it yourself! After each ride, measure the tread with a micrometer, compare it to the last ride's value, and figure the wear rate per kilometer.

Omg please do this

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Slavvy posted:

What kind of tyres they are is a good start :)

Duh. OEM Dunlop Trailmax Mixtour

Phy posted:

For sure, but I would assume a rough estimate should be able to be made if you have more experience than me.

Sagebrush posted:

I was actually thinking I should measure it every 1000 kilometers or so on my new tires to get some data on how they wear long term.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 1, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I log when and at what odometer reading I do my wrenching, so I just have a small block with comments. Since I do my own tires I just prebuy a new set a little while before they're done. This means I normally dont run the tires all the way down to the wear bar as I swap to new ones before bigger trips. But this is purely anecdotal for anyone other than me. What bike, tire pressure, air temperature, how much throttle, how rough road surface, what lean angle, how much riding in the rain etc only applies to me. It can maybe only give a hint to others on what to expect?

code:
Merke		Type		KM totalt/bak	Km foran		kommentar
Michelin	road 5		14000km					ingen problemer	bra grep	var mønster igjen på 14 k
prielli		angel GT 2	11500km					mer svingvillig	bra våtgrep	var mønster igjen på 11500
pirelli		diablo rosso 3	7000km		14000, ok kaldgrep	enda mer svingvillig		bra grep på alt	bakdekk slitt ned til slitebars, kun kjørt mai-august, så ikke testet kaldgrep
Michelin	Power 5		9000km					bakdekk hadde litt mønster igjen på 9000

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Would displacing the wheel and tire in a liquid be a more accurate measure of tire wear? Pop those wheels off and fill up the tub!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Race tyre wear is gauged by weight, it's the only meaningful measurement of wear!!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Moto-E tread wear is measured in mm/minute

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Moto-E tread wear is measured in mm/minute

Did not know this, assuming it's cause they're ten lap tyres?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorson posted:

Would displacing the wheel and tire in a liquid be a more accurate measure of tire wear? Pop those wheels off and fill up the tub!

It certainly would, but wear on the brake rotor would be a confounding factor. Further research is needed.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've got a front tire that pumps up and appears to hold pressure, but is completely flat the next morning. Pumped it back up and added soap and water, but don't see any bubbles. I can't tell how quickly it's losing pressure, the shop is about 15km away, and I'm not sure I can wheelie the whole way there. I'm probably going to take the wheel off and bring that to the shop. Why didn't the bubble trick work?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

epswing posted:

I've got a front tire that pumps up and appears to hold pressure, but is completely flat the next morning. Pumped it back up and added soap and water, but don't see any bubbles. I can't tell how quickly it's losing pressure, the shop is about 15km away, and I'm not sure I can wheelie the whole way there. I'm probably going to take the wheel off and bring that to the shop. Why didn't the bubble trick work?

Afaik the next step is submersion.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Leaky valve?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

This - if it's losing pressure quick enough to deflate overnight it *should* be visible with soapy water, so look at the valve, wheel itself, and the bead if you're not seeing bubbles on the tyre itself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epswing posted:

Idk that has literally never worked for me, I have a small tub filled with water for the job.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Did not know this, assuming it's cause they're ten lap tyres?
If you watch one of the races, when they show the slo-mo replay you can just see bits coming off 'em.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

If you watch one of the races

I've tried several times but my eyeballs kept gliding off it like teflon. I'll give the Ducati based ones a proper chance though

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've tried several times but my eyeballs kept gliding off it like teflon. I'll give the Ducati based ones a proper chance though
It's like a very short Moto3 race but quieter!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

epswing posted:

Had this happen once. I tried soapy water but didn't find it. Kept having to reinflate the day after. Later found it by chance with simply looking down the middle of the tire. It was a sliver of metal that had caused a tiny puncture, and once I hit it with soapy water again it bubbled plenty. I had simply missed it. Inflate it higher than normal to get more pressure, you might even hear it. You can also wiggle the valve to hear if it causes any hissing. But chances are that it's a small puncture somewhere along the middle two inches of the tread. If you work your way methodically around the tire and put some spit or soapy water directly on any suspicious look tear, you'll probably find it. Easier than immersion.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When I put a piston into a cylinder, am I supposed to make sure the ring gaps are oriented in some direction? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere maybe so blowback doesn’t just pass right through any gaps or something, The service manual doesn’t mention anything so I just kind of slid the cylinder on the piston without too much prep, but if I have to fix that I guess now’s the time, before I bolt the actual cylinder head on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you have three rings, the gaps should each be 120 degrees apart from each other. I'm surprised that the shop manual doesn't mention this.

Make sure you installed them right side up, too.

E: the manual does say this

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 6, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I figured there was a non-zero chance I just missed it. Thanks! So yeah, perfect time for me to fix this.

I didn’t take the rings off when I dismantled the old engine so presumably everything is still facing how it should be. Just made sure the piston itself is oriented correctly front to back.

E: Uh, other than “Second ring”, I’m not sure it’s super obvious which ring is which, to me. I’ll go pore through the book a little more.

E2: Eh. I should probably also order a new circlip for the piston while I’m at it. This one seems fine but I’m not sure it’s cool to re-use these. Oh well, at any rate I’m making progress so I’m pretty happy.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fun fact: those rings can and do rotate and move on their own as the engine runs, you just space the gaps out initially so you don't get a hot spot and other uneven nastiness in the first few miles.

Also the oil ring gap has no bearing on the other two as that ring doesn't contain compression at all, it's really just the top two that matter as far as this stuff is concerned.

There will be identifying marks to tell you which ring is the top and which is the bottom one. The oil ring is totally different looking rear end always goes at the bottom.