Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
FINALLY... beat the 1st boss.

Playing a melee / caster hybrid. Had to use the game's built-in summonable mage, AND the ash jellyfish, AND I had to leap in and jump+R2 as often as possible for maximum front and backstabs, AND used two full bars of mana casting spells and STILL JUST BARELY beat him by the skin of my drat teeth after having used all my flasks and the mage and jellyfish had both been killed.

There is no such thing as cheesing that boss. Get through it however you can. gently caress Margit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean technically I’ve been playing this since 4am but with breaks for food let’s say… 10 hours or so? Pebble is still my bread & butter but I use Slicer and Phalanx every now and then. I just recently started using an actual sword (int scaling thanks to the art) to save FP for actual fights. Currently level 31 still in Stormveil but with a nice chunk of what I imagine is the initial areas covered.

I’m going pure int / sorcery so I can’t speak for miracles. that’ll be for a run god knows when.

I think the issue that I'm seeing is that those sorts of spells are the sum total of actually useful spells. There are stronger versions of them like you'd expect in any other Souls game but then anything flashier or more interesting takes multiple seconds to cast even without charging, and you often can't really move while you do it or cast them while mounted.

It's a weird situation where the spells are more cool, varied, and flashy than they've ever been, but they aren't really designed to be used in the kind of game they're in.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

My screenshots are coming out looking really washed out, which is something I've only really experienced before with Sekiro (another FROM game, so I figure it's a setting somewhere?) - anybody have any clue what might be causing this?

Definitely hasn't been a problem for me

Forget Dark Souls, I haven't seen colors like this in a game since probably Sonic 3

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

1. It's annoying I get only 10 messages before the oldest fades away, I've been proactively deleting any that don't get interactions

2. Has anyone seen if there are any actual secret doors in the game? After about 10 hours I haven't found any despite dozens of messages promising that there's a secret door. Attacking, rolling, interacting -- none of them reveal secret doors (if there are any).

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I guess similarly if I can't beat the tree sentinel this game is probably too hard for me huh

tree sentinel is a very big "don't you think this fight is really really hard are you sure there isn't something extremely important you're overlooking" gate. if you come back with the horse he's extremely manageable (same for the other boss in the lake to the south)

TeaJay posted:

Those who have already played further: without spoiling specifics, how viable is a mage build this time around? I started an astrologist and so far have been plinking away at mobs with my basic spell. I never played a mage before on Souls games, I always went with some kind of warrior type, so I wanted something different.

I've been playing a Prisoner (Dexterity & Intelligence) and been having a blast. Magic feels vastly better in this game than in any of the Souls.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harrow posted:

I think the issue that I'm seeing is that those sorts of spells are the sum total of actually useful spells. There are stronger versions of them like you'd expect in any other Souls game but then anything flashier or more interesting takes multiple seconds to cast even without charging, and you often can't really move while you do it or cast them while mounted.

It's a weird situation where the spells are more cool, varied, and flashy than they've ever been, but they aren't really designed to be used in the kind of game they're in.

Oh yeah that’s been sorcery throughout the series. It’s my jam where I have the basic spell for like everything then I suit up the rest of it with something more specialized for whatever content I’m working on. This game actually feels a little more liberating since the whole memory stones completely detaches spell attunement from your build. So you can just probably end up with a ton of spell loaded to suit a number of play styles instead of limited yourself to 4-5 and having to switch them up. Like I’m at 4 right now from just exploring half a day and it took no stat investment for it. That’s pretty nice QoL change there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only thing I didn’t like about Tree Sentinel was that I don’t have a shield that lets me bounce back my own spells back to him. Let’s make the fight a pogo match, From. give me the loving pogo shield.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Finally beat Margit. Also ran into Patches earlier lol

Game is so drat good

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

ASenileAnimal posted:

i did it and i regret it lol

oh my god lol

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have a launch Xbox One, is Elden Ring still worth playing on it, or should I hold out until I get a Series X/S or PS5?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orv posted:

Margit is Pontiff Sullyvahn almost 1:1 which is a boss they specifically moved later in 3 and was still a giant progression block for even good players. Making a boss like that the first story directed boss seems like an almost very clear “gently caress you for wanting difficulty settings” which I don’t think is a good call on From’s part.

Margit is way more fluid than the Pontiff. Particularly the knife throws are honestly the biggest issue for that fight, he fucks up anyone trying to flask or cast, and it means you want to stay closer to him than you'd want to otherwise -- which opens you up for the spin attack.

The trick I had for dealing with him without poison/bleed strats was to watch for when the camera would do this little "zoom", that's typically the tell for when he starts his actual attack instead of holding his preparation.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Beat Manigrt with the help of the jellyfish. His phase 2 is rough with that 6-8hit sword combo but I was pretty reliably getting him into P2 without using more than one heal. In the attempt when I did beat him I flubbed two easy dodges right at the end, then he killed my jellyfish and I thought I was hosed, but managed to pull through: https://twitter.com/bideojames4/status/1497392238716133379

It was... Difficult. Can't help but thinking I probably should've saved him for when I was a bit higher levelled and equipped with something other than the knight's starting halberd.

The area beyond is fun, very much a classic dark souls style castle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

codo27 posted:

Definitely hasn't been a problem for me

Forget Dark Souls, I haven't seen colors like this in a game since probably Sonic 3

Yeah that's part of what makes it so frustrating. The colors are so vibrant and the game is so pretty, but I take a screenshot and for me it's all washed out. Had the same problem with Sekiro, there must be SOMETHING in common in FROM games causing it, but obviously only in conjunction with some setting or factor on my own end and I just wish I could figure out what it was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Should I keep slamming my head against Margit or should I run off and do other stuff for a while?

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i think margit rocks and i’m having a blast cooping. hosts need to stop dying tho

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Check this out if you wanna see some awesome early PVP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mevqgs-15K0

Consider these spoilery but funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slyNsSYHkPY (minor boss)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA8iqHnbIiA (area spoilers)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Where are the outfits, game!? I've barely found any fashion so far.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Am I just bad or is level 20 not enough to realistically beat the first boss

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Imo if you're having trouble with Magrit, use the dogs, not the jellyfish. They draw aggro pretty regularly so you can whale on him without his stupid neverending combo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i gotta remember to start dropping my summon sign places in the overworld, i want to see what the multiplayer is like out there

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've found what I'm willing to stake my life on is the worst boss in the game. The Ulcerated Tree Spirit Never mind the poo poo place you have to go through to reach it: the arena you fight it in is a tiny box that janks up the camera and the boss its self is just a whirling mass of garbage. It's bafflingly hard to tell front from back, and identify what animations are it just moving, because it does just flail freely around the arena at will, and which ones will just instantly kill you. If not for the fact that I'd have to go through this lovely dungeon again to reach it, I'd just not bother and come back later.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

There is no such thing as cheesing that boss. Get through it however you can. gently caress Margit.
Trying to solo him felt more like the Nameless King than Iudex Gundyr. I maintained my sanity by telling myself that he's probably designed to make us normies break out all of our tricks at least once to prove that we're prepared for the rest of the game

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Spergatory posted:

Where are the outfits, game!? I've barely found any fashion so far.

Yeah I'm currently assaulting Stormveil and I'm still wearing peasant crap. Gear is way more stingy in this game than in DS3.

GruntyThrst posted:

That early on, your weapon matters way more than your levels. Go augment it to +2 or +3 if you can manage it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Bogart posted:

Imo if you're having trouble with Magrit, use the dogs, not the jellyfish. They draw aggro pretty regularly so you can whale on him without his stupid neverending combo.

Jellyfish will poison him after a certain time, and if you've damaged him at all beyond that, the poison will kill him before it wears off, so literally all you have to do is backpedal and dodge until nature takes its course.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

I think I'm level 18-20ish in the attempt above. It took me about 45 minutes of attempts? Probably in future playthroughs I will wait until a higher level.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

That early on, your weapon matters way more than your levels. Go augment it to +2 or +3 if you can manage it.
is there a good place to stock up on the ore you need to do so, i'd love to shove a +2 or +3 longsword up that guy in the roundtable hall's rear end

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

poo poo on margit finally. im rocking a mace and pouring points into faith. This is peak gaming.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I had pretty much no issue with Magrit, I took two tries and then downed him on the third. I shredded him with Lordsworns SS and Broadsword offhand, dual wielding is crazy. I've already kind of hosed up my build with 16str/dex/int but I have a lot of really good tools so it's not much of an issue. Still looking for a scythe though.

edit: Can you get a second Lordsworn's Straight Sword drop in any way?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a way to make weapon buff spells last longer than like 10-15 seconds? I feel like they wear off way faster than in any previous game in the series.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

is there a good place to stock up on the ore you need to do so, i'd love to shove a +2 or +3 longsword up that guy in the roundtable hall's rear end

Some of the caves have ore or enemies that drop it. Such as shoreline cave on limgrave's west coast, or the cave on the north end of the dragon swamp

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Summoning is straight up not working for me

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

The "Limgrave Tunnels" dungeon at the northern bit of the lake has plenty of Smithing Stones, or you can go south of the starting dungeon (near the Seaside grace point) and farm the Tree-and-Beast Knights there who are fighting demihumans, they have a pretty solid chance to drop smithstone[1]s.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I played a little Dark Souls original, didn't care for it. Didn't play any others. Hopped into this because it seemed a little more freeform, I liked the idea of wandering around, getting wrecked, then making a mental note to come back later to set things right. So far, I'm enjoying it. I'm not that far in, have maybe 5 or so of the bosses down in the starter area, like that guy on the horse near the beginning.

Read and heard countless advice articles about "don't play wretch if you've never played these kinds of games" which pretty much cemented my choice to play wretch.

I'm in the early 20s for my level, have several sets of armor and weapons, and I'm not entirely sure what the downside of playing wretch was. My stats are already higher than the starting classes, so what's the catch? Do the stats for the premade character types start out cheaper? I can see that being an advantage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

Look for mines/caves in the overworld. I think the cave between the first church and ruin has some

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

I played a little Dark Souls original, didn't care for it. Didn't play any others. Hopped into this because it seemed a little more freeform, I liked the idea of wandering around, getting wrecked, then making a mental note to come back later to set things right. So far, I'm enjoying it. I'm not that far in, have maybe 5 or so of the bosses down in the starter area, like that guy on the horse near the beginning.

Read and heard countless advice articles about "don't play wretch if you've never played these kinds of games" which pretty much cemented my choice to play wretch.

I'm in the early 20s for my level, have several sets of armor and weapons, and I'm not entirely sure what the downside of playing wretch was. My stats are already higher than the starting classes, so what's the catch? Do the stats for the premade character types start out cheaper? I can see that being an advantage.

the other classes start with more stuff than just a club

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Filthy Haiku posted:

edit: Can you get a second Lordsworn's Straight Sword drop in any way?

Yep, I had two before I sold one

They are just random drops as far as I know

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Summoning is straight up not working for me

With ashes? They can only be used in certain areas, there will be an icon on the left side of the hud

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Traxis posted:

With ashes? They can only be used in certain areas, there will be an icon on the left side of the hud

Coop summoning, specifically. Seems bugged

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

KingKapalone posted:

So how do I actually know what a skill I cast from my weapon does? I see a status looking effect under my HP but the Status screen in the menu doesn't show anything.

I had a shield that the skill button just swiped it, but now I have this skill on my sword that buffs me. Can I then switch on the fly back to the shield bash?

Anyone know the answer to this previous post I made?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, some of the online stuff seems to be busted at the moment. Bloodstains, for example, are straight up non functional in my game. You can see they exist, but I haven't been able to view any of them except, strangely enough, this one dude who rode his horse off a cliff trying to kill a crystal lizard (or whatever this game's equivalent is). :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Sorcery question: I got Glintstone Pebble and it does okay damage but seems to suck down the FP.

So then I found Glintstone Shard . I was hoping it'd be much punchier than the first spell, but it just seems to be marginally more mana efficient. Maybe. Costs a bit less mana for a bit less damage.

I'm mostly playing melee STR, so I'm wondering if it's even worth it to get Great Glintstone Shard . I see it costs more FP, but is it going to do A LOT more damage, or is it going to be about the same efficiency as the other two spells?

Basically I'm looking for something that does reliably good damage out in the overworld/horseback/gives me something for ranged. Maybe I should just give up and embrace bows?