Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone know of some good places to find Smithing Stone [1]s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Wondering this too. I'd hate to blow these if the supply is globally fixed.

I braved google and confirmed in my own game that you can buy up to 4 from a blacksmith. Though he has a limited supply atm at least.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Either farm Tree-and-Beast Knights or search along the water line in Limgrave for mini-dungeons.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Of the starting classes, would it be a good idea to pick Hero with the lowest starting int/faith if I don't plan on getting sorceries or miracles?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I'm really enjoying how ethereal and fantastical the wild sections of the world are

also there were people before saying they felt like the game lacked that souls tension a lot of the time, i feel like that really ramps up in the proper dungeon. Feels like the distance between bonfires in Stormveil is loooooooong

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I spent literally several hours and hundreds of deaths on Margit because I wanted to force myself to win without any summons or overpowered ashes of war. Not sure I was underleveled or just bad (around level 21 I think) but daaamn what a hard boss. Felt really satisfying getting the last hit in though.

And now, Stormveil Castle. It's HUGE.

BTW, Do you always lose runes when dying? I just noticed that I don't regain 100% what I had after death when picking it up, and not sure if it always was like this or if it's some effect from something I've done.

edit: Rune loss seems to be a Stormveil thing maybe? I get all my runes back when I tested dying in the starting area.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 26, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
First 8 hour trip report I guess, spoilers just in case.

Went with wretch, because I like the extra points even though I have no idea how to optimize efficiently! I don't know why I do it to myself. Lost to the first probably kill ya boss, did the tutorial cave before wandering out into the fields to develop a grudge with a great fat golden gently caress, decided to head down to the coast first with a narrow victory over a real big boy. Some souls in hand I find the beach shop keeper and traded out club for sword before venturing into a dark cave and fighting some morlocks or whatever, summoned a NPC who made the boss encounter trivial. My reward was a route to an island with an alter that wants stuff I don't have for cool prizes. Bust.

Head back up to starter grace fire, shake fist at fat guy and his horse before finding a statue that revealed a catacomb filled with completely vicious little shits and a weird boss statue thing, beat it in a few tries, finally got horse shortly after. Spent about an hour trying to kill fat guy before putting it on the to do list and moving on. Headed up the hill to big castle and promptly got my poo poo shoved in by an old man with a tail, a stick and his hardlight arsenal. lost way too many runes to him and fumed off. Currently at a cliff where five giants spawn at once and it's actually really fun because you can kite them into a big mosh pit that kicks their own asses since all their moves have friendly fire. Good for grinding I guess. Not sure where to go now. Maybe get some levels and challenge fat knight and his mobility pony again.

Games alright.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Good I dunno, but they seem to drop off the footmen type soldiers with the drab armor around Stormveil at a very modest rate.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

As is tradition (for me) in EldenSoulsBournekiro games I will be posting my "# of attempts to solo clear bosses". There's alot of "bosses" in this game so I'm only posting GREAT ENEMY kills unless something really sticks out as difficult. Using spoiler tags just in case. In case I reach Nameless King/Ebrietus territory I'm just going to use <20, because whose counting past 20?

1. Flying Dragon Agheel (5) - Rode around on Torrent. Took a few tries to get used to avoided his one hit kill attacks, but he was pretty simple.
2. Margit Fell Omen (<20) - Jesus gently caress. Welcome back to From Soft games 'ole chap. This guy hosed me hard. When I finally beat him it was basically a near thing, could have gone either way. It helped to use the wolves, which if nothing else filled his posture meter and gave me a free crit. I think it would have been slightly easier if I had put more points into vitality earlier. Either way, when it comes to first major bosses in these series I think this guy takes the cake.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
First time to souls.. Need some tips on multi mob combat. I am fine fighting just one mob with lock on to keep my front to the mob. But when you have 3 or four mobs I want to fight without lockon.

Problem is when I go to create space by pressing back/down instead of backpedaling I full on TURN my back to things. It's really hard to get used to the character turning to face the camera when I try to back off unlocked. I'm running the confessor.

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

re margit: my best friend Patches sells an item for 5K that completely trivializes the fight. Got him on my first try with the sorcerer gold summon and the three wolves and I suck at this game. I'm not even gonna spoil what it does, but trust me you gonna love it, especially if you've been banging your head against him.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Went exploring and found a place where centipede men are using enslaved gemgolems to mine using lightsaber pickaxes. Outside of that, there's mobile poisonous beehives. Just the best.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Something that might be of modest usefulness for faith users on my locale:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hell yeah, Margit down at level 20

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Got the loving dragon too !! That fight proves that taking this open world was worth it

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
When the little blue gate shows up on the HUD, that means you can summon the wolves the witch gives? Does the calling bell actually do anything or does that just enable the use of the spirits?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

KingKapalone posted:

just enable the use of the spirits?

yes.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Khanstant posted:

lol i was just killed by a really mean flower

that flower has some serious skills

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

So I've found what I'm willing to stake my life on is the worst boss in the game. The Ulcerated Tree Spirit Never mind the poo poo place you have to go through to reach it: the arena you fight it in is a tiny box that janks up the camera and the boss its self is just a whirling mass of garbage. It's bafflingly hard to tell front from back, and identify what animations are it just moving, because it does just flail freely around the arena at will, and which ones will just instantly kill you. If not for the fact that I'd have to go through this lovely dungeon again to reach it, I'd just not bother and come back later.

Eventually I stopped being mad at this guy, just because of how ridiculous getting repeatedly clobbered by a self yeeting firey tree dragon became; that being said giant enemies in tiny rooms that hurl themselves all over the place are a pain to keep track of. One of the big issues with Ulcer Boy is that because he moves around so much there arise instances where the timing to successfully dodge an attack can change significantly, which was especially troublesome with the grab move he has. Eventually I figured that out, and finally beat it a little while ago. Didn't bother counting how many attempts it took me, but it was a lot.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what's this icon mean that appears on the left middle of the screen sometimes, even when the UI is hidden?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Fall damage?

https://youtu.be/YgsJoaS4a4U

Fall damage!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Shear Modulus posted:

what's this icon mean that appears on the left middle of the screen sometimes, even when the UI is hidden?

This means you can summon a spirit to assist you. Wolves, jellyfish etc.
But only if you have the summoning bell, and the spirits.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

you can summon ghosts fellers to help

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oh ok cool. So I can only use this three wolf moon summoning thing in areas where the icon shows up?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

holy gently caress these swordhawks, these dudes are for real

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Talked to a sketchy guy, followed his directions to a portal and gave a thing to an even sketchier guy. This was a good idea, probably.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Head out of the starting region and look for caves/mines, I've found some that were full of smithing stones as gatherable resources growing on walls, with enemies that drop them when killed.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Shear Modulus posted:

Oh ok cool. So I can only use this three wolf moon summoning thing in areas where the icon shows up?

Correct. And they aren't available when you are playing co-op of any kind.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You summon a lone wolf, in a pack of 3

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

If anyone's still looking for Smithing Stone [1], came out with a good haul down here:

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
I found lightning claws while running away from a Pissed Gandalf in the avengers tower and now I'm grinding faith so I can be Holy Wolverine.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

map screenshots:

2 cave locations that both contain a lot of them

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

okay gently caress this (i think compulsory) boss fight that doesn't give you a warning there's a boss fight, goodbye currencyyyy

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
not a complaint, but some of this game feels designed for you to plow past instead of honor dueling every NPC to death. I was avoiding the first boss because of all the dudes outside his area murdering me nonstop. Eventually I said screw it and plowed past, killed him in two tries, and now I'm basically in undead burg and sleepwalking through everyone

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Robo Reagan posted:

not a complaint, but some of this game feels designed for you to plow past instead of honor dueling every NPC to death. I was avoiding the first boss because of all the dudes outside his area murdering me nonstop. Eventually I said screw it and plowed past, killed him in two tries, and now I'm basically in undead burg and sleepwalking through everyone

It's one of the things I'm enjoying. They took the typical RPG idea of areas with fixed levels that you progress through in a linear fashion, and the opposite idea of having everything scale to you, and went with a third option, stuff laid out randomly with guys you can 1-shot right next to guys that can 1-shot you. To me this feels more organic, you have to learn through experience what you can and can't handle, and the game gives you the tools to avoid the big poo poo until you're ready for it.

I am absolutely loving riding the horse and slashing at giant's ankles. Reminds me of that Talos fight in the old Jason and the Argonauts film. Even though that's not what happened. Maybe more like Legolas going under the oliphaunt and dual-wielding its legs down. So cool.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Holy poo poo. The Bat Mothers singing is such an incredible detail.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I love that I teleported to the safe space but then there was some mean guy suddenly but I made it safe again :)

omg now i am the edgelord

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 26, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I just barely beat Magrit, jesus christ.

That might not have quite been Sword Saint Isshin levels of ridiculous, but that was still pretty tough for an early boss.

magrit is a gentle reminder from miyazaki that this is an open-world game and there's plenty other places for you to go

so i did, and came back twenty levels later to show him what i'd learned

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
stormveil there's a spot on the rooftops where you can start parkouring and the area to get on the wall seems designed to make you overshoot it and fall to your death. Instead of a bottomless pit there was a bottom and i got like three seconds of some loving /face/ and that had to be intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

okay seriously gently caress magrit and their sudden boss arena locking me out of my runes or just slamming my head against the wall until i win

also this whole die -> load -> walk back -> walk through fog routine is sooooo slow and aggravating