Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Wow that sure is catastrophic damage to a 100% civilian high rise building no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

I was not a part of that conversation, but war has a proven track record of preying on people's ideals to get them to sacrifice themselves for little gain. of course things are worth dying for, but the history of war is a history of an insatiable beast that will say anything to conceal the fact that it it chews up ideals and leaves behind traumatized individuals and graves. To my mind, anything extolling the heroism of sacrifice is a lure placed by this beast.

Ukrainian independence is not ”little gain” to 40 million people.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/1497385591268204545

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Paladinus posted:

Russia reports no losses. At all.

Amazing. Idk what it does to army morale knowing if you die you're going to be cremated in a loving truck and the government will basically deny your existence

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
In a defensive war anything which comforts, inspires, or causes any defending combatant or civilian to feel anything other than horror or dread is good and should be celebrated welp that's my hot take bye

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The videos of looting and soldiers in the streets I posted earlier were made in Melitopol. Russia reporting they are now in control of the city. First one they've taken so far

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497460675031056387?t=8UQhn124dmjw6T0lqyxnUg&s=19

It's also close to where the video of the long line of tanks/artillery vehicles was made

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah, gently caress war and all that but it's the Ukrainian's to fight, and survive using any manner of weapons, including stories of heroism. It's their loving war. And if those stories of heroism inspire the West to utterly stick it to a mad dictator, well, good for them.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Any thoughts on the dead Russian soldiers? Should other Russian soldiers maybe start avoiding the situations where they might die for nothing?

Cugel the Clever posted:

What is your alternative—capitulation and subjugation? Rather than telling Ukrainians to stop defending themselves, perhaps focus on getting Putin to turn off the war machine?

I literally have zero influence over the actual players in this war. I thought it went without saying, but Putin is a fascist who deserves to be Mussolini'd and has done his utmost to catch up to the butcher's bill of people like Kissinger. All I can do is watch and react to what is happening, and what I fear I see is the seed of romantic notions of war being planted.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Mariupol was where the Azov regiment was holed up sooooo...?

Edit: whoops

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 26, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

The videos of looting and soldiers in the streets I posted earlier were made in Melitopol. Russia reporting they are now in control of the city. First one they've taken so far

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497460675031056387?t=8UQhn124dmjw6T0lqyxnUg&s=19

It's also close to where the video of the long line of tanks/artillery vehicles was made

Melitopol, not Mariupol, which will be surrounded soonish but will be a very tough fight

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

I made an error, they've taken Melitopol. It's near Mariupol, but they're separate cities.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Dante posted:

Belarus is pretty much just a Russian client state, they don't have autonomous agency in foreign affairs. Due to their geographical location they've been the staging ground for one part of the assault.

Right, I saw that Russia has moved units through Belarus, I was curious if Belarus was contributing anything else or just saying "Eh, do what you want, we won't say anything."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Different city, see the tweet, KitConstantine got them confused. Melitopol is the city the Russians have taken.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

Right, I saw that Russia has moved units through Belarus, I was curious if Belarus was contributing anything else or just saying "Eh, do what you want, we won't say anything."

They do what they are told by Moscow

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I was not a part of that conversation, but war has a proven track record of preying on people's ideals to get them to sacrifice themselves for little gain. of course things are worth dying for, but the history of war is a history of an insatiable beast that will say anything to conceal the fact that it it chews up ideals and leaves behind traumatized individuals and graves. To my mind, anything extolling the heroism of sacrifice is a lure placed by this beast.

this country has been subjected to multiple genocides at the hands of foreign dictators. what the gently caress should they do here exactly? in the face of subjugation it is heroic to take up arms.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So what is Belarus's role, if any, in this?

I might be wrong, but I would guess the US response to an attack on Taiwan would be much more... active.

loving Lukashenko is providing airbases, railroads, ground support and access through the border also shortest trek to Kiev compared to other UA borders. The worst part for me is that the loving scum made us all accomplices to this crime, Ukranians wont't soon forgive us, if ever. If our involvement will be critical for the russia taking Kiev there will be no end to my grief.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
If you are LBGTQ in Ukraine you are fighting for small gains like "living beyond a month"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Randarkman posted:

Russia doesn't really use twitter or facebook I think, you'd have to go looking for that elsewhere, also in Russian language domestic news.

Though it still feels like if they had much to show they'd be broadcasting that to the world as well...

vk and telegram and to a lesser extent russian news. Also apparently a lot of what's getting posted even in russian channels is apparently ukranian sourced. which is peculiar.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Is this in Moscow? Because I speak Ukrainian poorly, and I could understand her/them perfectly. Even the accent sounded Western Ukrainian. I don't understand much Russian, but its possible that the few words they said overlap. So I dunno.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Inner Light posted:

Yep. Now with video. Still smoking.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497462090524774403?t=joLzmWArrxBP9RFiF0A4og&s=19

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Herstory Begins Now posted:

vk and telegram and to a lesser extent russian news. Also apparently a lot of what's getting posted even in russian channels is apparently ukranian sourced. which is peculiar.

Well it is what a state controlled media does. If there is good news they will push it like it is the greatest thing ever. If there is bad news it doesn't exist.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Its weeeeeird and I have no idea what's going on.

Like we know they have their own narrative which is bat poo poo insane but they aren't really hiding . Why aren't they slamming that poo poo through Twitter and all avaliable avenues.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Someone had a home camera on in one of the apartments and it caught the explosion. Wild stuff

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497462193184559110?t=etVr3NpGo8qUtCyJ1SgLNQ&s=19

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BigRoman posted:

Is this in Moscow? Because I speak Ukrainian poorly, and I could understand her/them perfectly. Even the accent sounded Western Ukrainian. I don't understand much Russian, but its possible that the few words they said overlap. So I dunno.

I know a little Russian and it's perfectly comprehensible to me, the chanting at least. It's just Слава Украине, very likely that's the same. I can't tell accents though, and have no idea if that's Moscow, though if it is, those people have some brass balls. There's a street sign visible in the video, but it's too blurry to even make out what alphabet it's in.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Its weeeeeird and I have no idea what's going on.

Like we know they have their own narrative which is bat poo poo insane but they aren't really hiding . Why aren't they slamming that poo poo through Twitter and all avaliable avenues.

yeah that is just downright odd. my pulled-out-of-my-rear end impression is that this behavior is consistent with the operation going extremely poorly, or extremely well.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Pretty great watching Aeroflot figure out their new and ever shifting routing.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
I know everyone is wondering what the endgame of this is supposed to be but like seriously after what's happened in just these two days how can the Russians expect the Ukrainians to ever accept their rule? It's absurd. This will be another forever war if the Russians actually think they can occupy the country

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Oh right sorry I misunderstood. I don't think we know if Belorussian troops are participating for sure, but they're probably not - or only as a token support/special forces. The russian army is better trained and equipped.

I'm trying to caution people from being swept up in the romanticism of the idea of a heroic war.

war is not heroic, it is a machine that churns out corpses. snake island was a senseless tragedy that claimed 13 lives. when I see tweets talking about arming civilians with rifles or teaching them to make Molotovs, all I can envision is them getting slaughtered by trained professionals, to say nothing of injuring themselves due to lack of training.

in my mind, efforts to gussy up how brave dead soldiers were is just a means to trick others into feeding themselves to the war machine

Literally none of us who live in Europe would live in a free society without the heroic sacrifice made by or own grandparents and parents. On this continent every country has been occupied by facists within living memory, every family has a war story and nearly everyone knows someone who went through hell. War is terrible, but the concept of heroic war isn't an abstract ideal for europeans. Unfortunately this hasn't stopped Europe from waging terrible unjust wars elsewhere, but that's a different matter.

Dante fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 26, 2022

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Djarum posted:

Well it is what a state controlled media does. If there is good news they will push it like it is the greatest thing ever. If there is bad news it doesn't exist.

Complete silence on the other hand means they have no better way of doing PR than not saying a thing, which means they are self-idebtifying that even lying at this point would be harmful.

Which can be interpreted as ”gently caress we had no media plan in case of fire” -because since the official mine Seems to be the ukrainians would greet them with non-javeliny flowers, even reporting positive K/D would be belying that the premise If the operation had gone tits up.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

e: also, pasta as but the talk of capturing saboteurs had me kind of freaked out they're just targeting russian-speaking ukranians out of anger over the invasion, or even just settling old scores.

Its a war, so could such a thing happen? Of course. Is that the plan of the Ukrainian government or the vast majority of its people? No.

Thinking that is is about some kind of ethnic conflict writ large across all Ukraine is just playing into the Kremlin's "Nazi Ukrainian's genociding the Russian people" narrative. There are ethnic Russian's that want to remain in Ukraine. There are ethnic Russians that don't. This isn't Yugoslavia in the 90's. This about Putin hamstringing Ukraine so it can never join NATO, the EU, and remains dependent on Russia's good grace for eternity.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ok but in real life Kevin would have killed those fuckers almost immediately with the poo poo he set up

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TheSpamalope posted:

I know everyone is wondering what the endgame of this is supposed to be but like seriously after what's happened in just these two days how can the Russians expect the Ukrainians to ever accept their rule? It's absurd. This will be another forever war if the Russians actually think they can occupy the country

It does seem to have shades of the whole "we will be greeted as liberators" vibe. Honestly I think that Putin thought that this was going to be a joke and blow right through the country. He likely had a ton of yes men agreeing with him. Now it has gone sideways he is in too deep to pull out now. This is going to go at least until Spring comes.

Valtonen posted:

Complete silence on the other hand means they have no better way of doing PR than not saying a thing, which means they are self-idebtifying that even lying at this point would be harmful.

Which can be interpreted as ”gently caress we had no media plan in case of fire” -because since the official mine Seems to be the ukrainians would greet them with non-javeliny flowers, even reporting positive K/D would be belying that the premise If the operation had gone tits up.

You are probably 100% right. If they have another day like today they are going to have to spin something since even state media at home will have to start asking questions.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Inner Light posted:

its not catastrophic, with buildings like that all the strength is in the core and taking a bite out of the outside is dangerous without being critical. but it is an iconic picture of a tower of defenseless houses with a giant gaping wound

the longer this goes on, the more images there are going to be of russian destruction of ukrainian civilians, and that just focuses on the monstrous actions of russia

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

punishedkissinger posted:

this country has been subjected to multiple genocides at the hands of foreign dictators. what the gently caress should they do here exactly? in the face of subjugation it is heroic to take up arms.

Then treat them with respect. But don't look at something neccesary and believe it good.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
One other thing to consider if this conflict goes on for longer than a few weeks is that there's a lot of people in the eastern hemisphere who would love to shoot at Russian soldiers.

https://twitter.com/suheilhammoud/status/1497199703641014272

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

BigRoman posted:

Its a war, so could such a thing happen? Of course. Is that the plan of the Ukrainian government or the vast majority of its people? No.

Thinking that is is about some kind of ethnic conflict writ large across all Ukraine is just playing into the Kremlin's "Nazi Ukrainian's genociding the Russian people" narrative. There are ethnic Russian's that want to remain in Ukraine. There are ethnic Russians that don't. This isn't Yugoslavia in the 90's. This about Putin hamstringing Ukraine so it can never join NATO, the EU, and remains dependent on Russia's good grace for eternity.

Yeah, one unusual thing about this conflict is that it's not being fought on ethnic lines, but purely on territory. You can be ethnic Russian, speak Russian, follow the Russian Orthodox Church, but if you live in Ukraine you're just as much a target as everyone else in the country. The Russian army is targeting civilians and they aren't discriminating.

acidx posted:

One other thing to consider if this conflict goes on for longer than a few weeks is that there's a lot of people in the eastern hemisphere who would love to shoot at Russian soldiers.

All of Afghanistan unites around a new cause...

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 26, 2022

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Josef bugman posted:

Then treat them with respect. But don't look at something neccesary and believe it good.

it's heroic when a firefighter rushes into a burning building but that doesn't make fires "good". what is with you obtuse fuckers?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's rare that we're presented with opportunities to make life better for so many people outside of our own immediate circles of empathy. I'm really glad you seized this opportunity and did something so good for folks who really needed help. Well done.:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

acidx posted:

Context on this guy. Not an idle threat

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1497306977097105412?t=qxsULE2uUtUdBOCZ6oRpWQ&s=19