Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Kangxi posted:

Local and imported grain shortages have been cited as one of the causes of the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings, as well as the Syrian civil war.

Also remember that when the price of oil tanked when OPEC added to supply, Soviet oil was devalued to the extent that they couldn't afford poo poo, including foodstores. It was a factor in their dissolution.

The current disruptions in energy supplies, money flow, foodstores, and everything else carried is going to cause major, major dislocations until this poo poo is wrapped up. This is bad global juju.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The ukrainians seem to be stomping down really hard on absolutely anything that might give away troop movements.

That’s not what I mean.

I mean if kyiv gets occupied you’re gonna have people “tossing molotovs for the ‘gram”

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pookah posted:

How can Putin survive this?
Even if/when the Russian forces take control in Ukraine, Russia will have suffered so much geopolitical damage that its hard to see how they can salvage anything from this.
They will be isolated from the rest of the world, even their usual allies, (outside the puppet states) are distancing themselves as much as possible.
I'm very ignorant on the subject I know, but its hard to see any possible outcome from this that strengthens Russia's position on the world stage.

To me, it looks like he's torpedoed his country because he wants to go back to the Good Old Days when Russia was Strong and he had hair.

This is a likely outcome but remember that history is not easily sorted into winners and losers. The world will tut tut and then quickly pivot to normal relations so long as Russia has something they want. In order to reach North Korea status you have to be consistently awful AND have nothing capital wants.

"How does Putin emerge from this" isn't something we can predict. If it's more beneficial to ice Putin out he'll be forced to make alliances with less cosmopolitan countries, but he's not far from that already.

Global politics is extremely cynical and the ethical questions of what Putin is doing will be quickly eclipsed by practical ones.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Why does Zelwnsky think that NATO would be willing to risk a war with Russia by implementing a no-fly zone?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/25/nato-ukraine-russia-zelenskyy-00012068

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Why enforce a no fly zone when we can simply send infinite aa weapons through Poland which is apparently fine and loving dandy for Russia

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pookah posted:

How can Putin survive this?
Even if/when the Russian forces take control in Ukraine, Russia will have suffered so much geopolitical damage that its hard to see how they can salvage anything from this.
They will be isolated from the rest of the world, even their usual allies, (outside the puppet states) are distancing themselves as much as possible.
I'm very ignorant on the subject I know, but its hard to see any possible outcome from this that strengthens Russia's position on the world stage.

To me, it looks like he's torpedoed his country because he wants to go back to the Good Old Days when Russia was Strong and he had hair.

Honestly? Not that hard.

Link up the forces in-country (it seems he finally sent in the reserves still at the borders), lock it down for a day or two, take come pics of troops in front og the governor's mansion in Kyiv. Declare victory, go home and keep the two provinces that supposedly were the cause of it all.

Say "we destroyed their warfighting capability and made our point; don't gently caress with us!"

It's basically what the USA did in Iraq back in 1991, and there's few reasons it wouldn't work now.

Russia is not nearly as hegemonic as the US was to dodge any consequences, but it was already marginalized from the world stage at large so the backlash can be managed. And a lot of the sanctions would gradually be eased once there are no images of artillery falling on Kyiv city blocks; those Lambos and belgian diamonds need happy buyers, after all.

The talk would stay loud and aggressive, but I really think everyone just wants things to go back to normal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why enforce a no fly zone when we can simply send infinite aa weapons through Poland which is apparently fine and loving dandy for Russia

I'd say I think the West is going to get some payback for this next time the US goes on an adventure, but the US got away with doing it in Afghanistan without Russia really doing the same elsewhere, so maybe not.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grouchio posted:

The US/NATO isn't seriously considering a no fly zone are they? Why are we discussing this?

Because the longer the war goes on the greater the pressure will be for the west to do something, and a no-fly zone was proposed by a US congressman

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Willo567 posted:

Why does Zelwnsky think that NATO would be willing to risk a war with Russia by implementing a no-fly zone?

I'm sure he doesn't expect NATO to agree, as an enforced no-fly zone from NATO would put the world on an unacceptable escalation path. I'm also not surprised he's asking.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That is very interesting as I'd assumed at some point they were going to have to try and shut the border to stop arms arriving from Poland.

possibly not great odds operating in western Ukraine furthest from any possible resupply whilst the UA has a stream of care packages handed to them across the border

plus I can't imagine sealing the Carpathian forests is actually possible unless they commit a lot more resources?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Trump posted:

Earlier today a Blackhawk was chilling right at the Ukraine border from Poland. I doubt it was carrying pepsi.

yeah that would make no sense, blackhawks are under contract with coca cola

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah that would make no sense, blackhawks are under contract with coca cola

That's what the Dr. Pepper propaganda wants you to believe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

To be clear, I do not believe a no-fly zone is likely now. But in a few months, if the news is still full of stories of Ukranians fighting against the Russian invaders? Then maybe.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ronya posted:

possibly not great odds operating in western Ukraine furthest from any possible resupply whilst the UA has a stream of care packages handed to them across the border

plus I can't imagine sealing the Carpathian forests is actually possible unless they commit a lot more resources?

yeah they havent even secured east ukraine. are they even going to take kyiv?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

coelomate posted:

I'm sure he doesn't expect NATO to agree, as an enforced no-fly zone from NATO would put the world on an unacceptable escalation path. I'm also not surprised he's asking.

Asking has no downsides for Zelenskyy. What's Putin gonna do, put him on a kill list harder?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gripweed posted:

To be clear, I do not believe a no-fly zone is likely now. But in a few months, if the news is still full of stories of Ukranians fighting against the Russian invaders? Then maybe.

No, just no.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gripweed posted:

If the invasion phase isn't over in a few months, Russia's already lost.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sephyr posted:

It's basically what the USA did in Iraq back in 1991, and there's few reasons it wouldn't work now.

That’s not at all what the US did.

They completely btfo’d what was at the time the largest Middle East army, did it in a way that no one had ever really seen before, suffered no significant casualties, completely ended Iraq as a regional actor, and then hung around for a decade effectively running no fly zones for the Kurds. Americas actions were widely lauded around the world. They also didn’t attack Baghdad.

Russia is getting embarrassed in real time, is a world pariah, and is blasting the country’s capitol for no real reason.

I’m not saying the us didn’t commit war crimes (like incinerating a retreating column of troops) but nothing like what we’re seeing and going to see in Ukraine.

And no matter what the Russian state media says, all these soldiers will eventually come home, and internet savvy Russians will be able to look up what happened.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 26, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

FizFashizzle posted:

Just had a dark thought. For maybe the first time we’re going to see what happens when patriotic anti occupation resistance synergies with readily available social media clout chasing.

Yeah we've already had those dudes on Snake Island basically livestreaming their own heroic deaths. There's going to be a lot more of that.

There's also been a lot of talk of the Russians trying to cut off internet access. So far that's been unsuccessful, but I also don't see how you can do that completely. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if NATO were clandestinely working to keep internet access up.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So Russia talking about Ukraine as Syrian terrorists is them just implying that this isn’t a war against another nation but rather a domestic insurgency, I imagine.

Gotta write tomorrow’s history today!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

KitConstantine posted:

Asking has no downsides for Zelenskyy. What's Putin gonna do, put him on a kill list harder?

Double plus ungood kill list

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sinteres posted:

If the invasion phase isn't over in a few monthsweeks, Russia's already lost.

FTFY :v:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mendrian posted:

This is a likely outcome but remember that history is not easily sorted into winners and losers. The world will tut tut and then quickly pivot to normal relations so long as Russia has something they want. In order to reach North Korea status you have to be consistently awful AND have nothing capital wants.

"How does Putin emerge from this" isn't something we can predict. If it's more beneficial to ice Putin out he'll be forced to make alliances with less cosmopolitan countries, but he's not far from that already.

Global politics is extremely cynical and the ethical questions of what Putin is doing will be quickly eclipsed by practical ones.

There’s not really a “back to normal” after this frankly. Russias probably going to have some sanctions lifted yeah but they’re coming out of this severely weakened no matter what. Their ability to manufacture new weapons is compromised, governments around the world have found out the Russians are overhyped when it comes to fighting any military even remotely in the same vicinity of them. Like this is apparently a peer (or near peer) conflict now and I don’t think people would have called it that in January. Like yeah how much people love them might be the same but how much people fear them (outside their nuclear arsenal at least) has gone way down.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gripweed posted:

A no fly zone is a euphemism for war. The US has said repeatedly it won't go to war over this.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

FizFashizzle posted:

That’s not at all what the US did.

They completely btfo’d what was at the time the largest Middle East army, did it in a way that no one had ever really seen before, suffered no significant casualties, completely ended Iraq as a regional actor, and then hung around for a decade effectively running no fly zones for the Kurds. Americas actions were widely lauded around the world. They also didn’t attack Baghdad.

Russia is getting embarrassed in real time, is a world pariah, and is blasting the country’s capital for no real reason.

I’m not saying the us didn’t commit war crimes (like incinerating a retreating column of troops) but nothing like what we’re seeing and going to see in Ukraine.

And no matter what the Russian state media says, all these soldiers will eventually come home, and internet savvy Russians will be able to look up what happened.

Not to mention that the Gulf War 1.0 was in response to Iraqi actions against Kuwait. Putin can huff and puff all he wants about how Ukraine is really the ones to blame here; the only ones who buy it are those on his payroll.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The idea that Russia would respond to a no-fly zone to nukes is absolutely absurd. The idea that they'd start pasting bases is absurd.

The likely escalatory response would be hitting the air defense sites in Poland that NATO would likely use as the primary enforcement mechanism.

It's dangerous because it's a big step down the road towards nukes, but there's still a lot of miles and a lot of off ramps between no-fly zone and nuclear exchange. Acting like it brings us right to world war 3/nukes is crazy Clancy poo poo.

Edit: you all remember that we've already seen recently a NATO country downing Russian fighters without WW3 right?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I am awake again is Kyiv still not Russian?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

punishedkissinger posted:

are they even going to take kyiv?

I would guess they're going to try over the weekend

an obvious Russian second prize behind "all of Ukraine" is to consolidate its presence in eastern Ukraine at some palatable line rather than gunning for all the cities all at once, then try to bring Kyiv to the table by force of arms

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ronya posted:

Domestically Indians still feel very pro-Soviet/Russian, with China and Pakistan being the stalwart US allies. The prospect of a Rus-Pak-China compact is steadily applying pressure to shift this calculus, but half a century of cultural affiliation is slow to unwind

First Orban, then Modi. I'm wondering starting to wonder if Putin's dark money was keeping their allegiance. And their parties in power.

Now that that money is cut off because of sanctions and Putin is viewed as weak, wonder if they still be around in a few years.

Going to guess if Trump starts talking about how he always liked Zelensky and how he wanted to give them the Javelins, we'll know that the money's drying up.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 26, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gripweed posted:

No, it's never going to happen.

Not enforced by nato anyway.

The only way a "no fly zone" happens in Ukraine is so many manpads get shipped through the polish border that every Kievan apartment building is a de facto anti-air battery.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Yeah short of cutting off oil supplies or taking control of Ukraine’s western borders there’s no real answer Russia has for NATO dumping a poo poo load of weapons into the Ukrainian army’s arms.

I think they were hoping for NATO to mostly stay out of things but it seems going for total conquest has pissed a lot of people off. With even loving Germany committing RPGs now I think we’re going to see NATO countries falling over themselves to get anti tank and anti aircraft weapons onto those Polish trucks.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

Not to mention that the Gulf War 1.0 was in response to Iraqi actions against Kuwait.

that saddam probably thought he had US clearance to do

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://twitter.com/phoenix_de/status/1497576367898214405?t=npQD8zz84i8CPeZzic8-aQ&s=19

Polish PM now in Berlin, along with Lithuanian PM to convince Schulz to provide more aid, stating to the press: "5000 helmets? Is this a joke?", and that nordstream2 is carrying blood of Ukrainian mothers and children along with gas.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

NomChompsky posted:

I am awake again is Kyiv still not Russian?

No but there’s another all-out assault again tonight. Russias convinced capturing Kyiv’s going to end this

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Russia is not nearly as hegemonic as the US was to dodge any consequences

The US was also on the correct and fully justifiable side of the conflict in the first Gulf War. Saddam was 1000% the aggressor there.

But yeah they did dodge consequences for the second Iraq war despite that being as misguided and evil as this invasion of Ukraine.

I hope your interpretation of what will/could happen for Ukraine comes true. That’s what I’m hoping for as best case and remotely realistic scenario this point.

E: also people remember Vietnam existed right? And how it is reasonably analogous to this Ukraine conflict, but where the US was the invading army on the side of a dubious puppet government and the Russians were supplying materiel and info? That didn’t lead to nukes either.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 26, 2022

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Willo567 posted:

Because some NATO state is telling them they might be willing to do this is my only conclusion. I would suspect he's being egged on by one of the Baltic States who are really afraid of Russia.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

There will be no no-fly zones because when Russia says “no” you either look weak or you start a thermonuclear war.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Sinteres posted:

I'd say I think the West is going to get some payback for this next time the US goes on an adventure, but the US got away with doing it in Afghanistan without Russia really doing the same elsewhere, so maybe not.

If Russia really wants to stick it to the US they can start by supplying the Russian army with fuel and ammo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'll quote the full text for ease of reference.

ukrainian border guard posted:

We got strong beliefs that all Ukrainian defenders of Zmiiniy Island may be alive
The SBGSU and the Armed Forces, like the whole of Ukraine, have received hope that all of Zmiiny's defenders are alive.
Russian media reported that Ukrainian servicemen on the island, who were temporarily occupied by Russia in Sevastopol, had been sent to Sevastopol.
Preliminary information that border guards may be dead came before the defenders lost contact.
As previously reported, on February 24, the aggressor fired from naval weapons and used combat aircraft on border guards and soldiers of the Armed Forces on the island of Zmiiny.
According to available information at the time, the infrastructure was destroyed and the island captured.
Prior to that, the enemy repeatedly tried in vain to intimidate Ukrainian defenders with demands to surrender and received only one correct answer - no one will surrender.
We understand that Russian propagandists know how to make the necessary information attacks and use them, noting that Ukrainian defenders have surrendered.
Border guards and fighters of the Armed Forces bravely defended themselves, especially in the face of the overwhelming means of defeat and enemy forces.
Work to learn about the fate of Ukrainian defenders continued in all possible directions.
Currently, after receiving information about their probable location, the SBGS together with the Armed Forces is working to identify our soldiers, which is common in open networks.
We sincerely hope that the boys will return home as soon as possible, and the information received at the time of the attack on the death will not be confirmed.
Glory to Ukrainian defenders !!!

As far as I'm concerned, this is not a confirmation of a surrender. They simply state they've received information that some number of those guards may be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

I would guess they're going to try over the weekend

an obvious Russian second prize behind "all of Ukraine" is to consolidate its presence in eastern Ukraine at some palatable line rather than gunning for all the cities all at once, then try to bring Kyiv to the table by force of arms

U.S. intelligence reports that tens of thousands of reserve troops are now crossing the border. Russia was trying to do the job on the cheap and has now said gently caress it.

Russia definitely seems to be looking at carving up the southern & eastern border as a fallback objective, they seem more focused on consolidating those areas than they are on trying to break through in the northeast to encircle Kyiv and/or Ukrainian forces in the field.