Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The Kingfish posted:

Seems like an insanely bad idea to just hand out thousands of guns to an untrained civilian population.

That’s why you only do it when you’re out of options!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Conscription was a thing up until 2013. Theres theoretically a lot of civilians in there mid twenties and up who theoretically know how things go down.
As someone else corrected me on this forum, it was even renewed after 2014

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

KitConstantine posted:

The whole city is on curfew until 8am Monday and I've seen reports of Kyiv cops politely visiting anyone with a light on.

I'm sure some buildings have lost power but the city government doesn't wanna make the Russians job any easier by leaving the lights on

Oh absolutely, just surprised it took this long.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

The Kingfish posted:

Seems like an insanely bad idea to just hand out thousands of guns to an untrained civilian population.

Yes but enough about the US.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

steinrokkan posted:

My brain no understand economic good, but wouldn't Russia's central bank assets be deposited domestically?

As Russia needs to sell a lot of fossil fuels in dollars and euros and then buy goods in those same currencies a major part of their reserves will be banked with the Federal Reserve and the ECB so they don't have to covert them to roubles. This is why some currencies are called "reserve currencies" because countries maintain a large portion of their reserves in these currencies instead of their own.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Kingfish posted:

Ukraine has conscription, so a large percentage of men have already had basic training on how to fire and maintain these weapons.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dwesa posted:

As someone else corrected me on this forum, it was even renewed after 2014

Thank you for the correction.

With all the current info floating around about military service its hard to find the relevant info from a search.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but it doesn't matter how much cash you have if the US and everyone else says 'we aren't taking your money'. (and also nobody else can take your money)

OK, I'd assume they'd be able to convert through China or India even if America stopped taking their money... but I guess it's not that easy

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The Kingfish posted:

When Ukraine was owned by the USSR they got genocided, what kind of poo poo do you expect Ukranians to do, exactly? Marquess of Queensberry Rules it?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

steinrokkan posted:

OK, I'd assume they'd be able to convert through China or India even if America stopped taking their money... but I guess it's not that easy

I'd imagine if that were a possibility those countries would take an additional cut or whatever which is going to further gently caress your budget.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Reports of thermobarics look to have not been exaggerated. :nms: for residential area in flames, but no bodies

:nms: https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497630987613884419?t=W26kP3U3oHP-zHHQ8e7apQ&s=19
:nms:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

steinrokkan posted:

My brain no understand economic good, but wouldn't Russia's central bank assets be deposited domestically?

This is the correct answer.

coelomate posted:

Their central bank has reserves of foreign currency. Ostensibly such sanctions can dramatically limit the ability for that foreign currency to be used.

Putin can get around, in a kind of laborious and painful way, a lot of the banking sanctions so far precisely because the Russian Central Bank stockpiled foreign currency after the initial sanctions placed on Russia after the annexation of Crimea—for just that purpose.

If the Russian Central Bank is prevented from using and converting that currency by being denied access to other central banks, the Russian financial system is well and truly hosed and may collapse.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

a pipe smoking dog posted:

As Russia needs to sell a lot of fossil fuels in dollars and euros and then buy goods in those same currencies a major part of their reserves will be banked with the Federal Reserve and the ECB so they don't have to covert them to roubles. This is why some currencies are called "reserve currencies" because countries maintain a large portion of their reserves in these currencies instead of their own.

This is a good post.

I think it was 10 years ago but I remember news stories about Russia and Gulf States trying to come up with an alternative to the dollar for trading your oil for exactly this reason.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1497625853160742914

Russia is not blockading the city so civilians can just... steadily leave for the relatively well-supplied western regions; this would be one reason to do so well before a single Russian flag is raised. This seems likely to occur as pedestrian retail supply issues hit the eastern regions. Heroism holds off a tank; it does not restock a shelf. Those most pro-European by family, politics, and economics are most likely to move first, leading to a self-reinforcing political self-selection akin to the DPR/LPR.

This dynamic is a medium-term one and may be completely undone if e.g., the expected assault on the weekend collapses in chaos, or completely routs Kyiv (say). But it's something to consider in terms of the "what happens if this grinds on" forecast. Partition of some kind seems only too plausible.

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 26, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

pls translate for us outside of cyrrilosphere

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Two danish journalists have been wounded in an attack on their car. One of them has undergone surgery. Both stable.

They work for the worst rag we have here in Denmark, hope they get paid well... And get home safe, ofcourse.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Reports of thermobarics look to have not been exaggerated. :nms: for residential area in flames, but no bodies

Says 2 residential buildings, that they are unaware of any deceased, and also asks someone off-screen to dial ambulance.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Amusingly, The Hill, of all news outlets, had a piece suggesting sanctioning the central bank even before the invasion:

quote:

The Russian economy is open, and the ruble is convertible, both backed by the FX reserves. But these reserves are largely electronic book entries in the Russian Central Bank accounts with the Federal Reserve, the European Central Bank and similar Western institutions and clearing houses. There are no physical bonds and certificates. In the language, Western government bonds and other securities and sovereign deposits with Western central and commercial banks are dematerialized and uncertificated.

For example, U.S. Treasuries owned by central banks of 200 countries are book entries on the computers of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, traded by its authorized dealers, with the sale proceeds transmitted electronically via Fedwire to correspondent banks.

From this vantage point, if sanctions hit, the $638 billion FX reserves shrink to their salvage value. Of the $638 billion FX reserves, only $12 billion are dollar and Euro-denominated cash in the vaults of the Russian Central Bank. The gold stored there, worth $139 billion, is hard to sell en masse, especially if the Central Bank falls under the Western sanctions. Another part of FX reserves, $84 billion in Renminbi-denominated instruments, is of little financial use in a crisis. Some $403 billion, almost two-thirds of the FX reserves, are securities and deposits denominated in U.S. dollars, Euro, British pounds and other Western currencies, representing electronic book entries in Western central and commercial banks. If sanctions are imposed on the Russian Central Bank, the $403 billion of its FX electronic holdings in the West could not be used. Russia will be left with little Western cash, unsaleable gold and Chinese bonds.

Central Bank sanctions will ensue three ruinous runs: on foreign currency, on banks and on the supply chains. With only $12 billion available to prop up the ruble, the exchange rate will devalue and collapse. People will run on whatever foreign currency they could obtain at whatever price, as the store of value.

There’s the rub. Russian households and businesses prefer FX to rubles and hold $268 billion in deposits with the state-owned Savings Bank and commercial banks. They will run on banks to withdraw dollars and Euros, the cash quantity the banks cannot have on hand or obtain from the Central Bank, itself barren of FX.

The banking system will fold unless the government forcibly converts FX-denominated deposits into rubles. Either outcome would cause social unrest. It will be exacerbated by the inaccessibility of the sovereign wealth fund to support government social expenditures. Across the supply chains, suppliers will demand dollars from customers, and efficient parts of the economy will dollarize. The rest of the economy will incur supply bottlenecks and stoppages and resort to barter. The economy will break apart and beget long-term political instability.

Of course, this would hurt economically vulnerable Russians the most, and that wouldn't be good, so hopefully if they go this route, it will cause the Russian leadership to cut bait quickly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dwesa posted:

Yeah it says you don't get famous pop culture references

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dwesa posted:

You have my sword

And my bow

And my javelin

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Irregulars can be surprisingly effective. Determined irregulars more so. As long as they get a uniform with a gun.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Dwesa posted:

You have my sword

And my bow

And my Javelin

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You have my sword

And my bow

And my javelin

Needs to add a low IQ hobbit with a German flag offering his helmet.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

the popes toes posted:

Irregulars can be surprisingly effective. Determined irregulars more so. As long as they get a uniform with a gun.

I’ve seen absolutely nothing to indicate they are giving out uniforms. All the pictures are of dudes with AK-47s walking around in jeans. Not good.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

I’ve seen absolutely nothing to indicate they are giving out uniforms. All the pictures are of dudes with AK-47s walking around in jeans. Not good.

You should tweet your concerns to Zelensky.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Good for who? Kinda dicey talking about who and who shouldn't defend where they live so it really isn't a useful conversation at this moment, I don't think.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1497625853160742914

Russia is not blockading the city so civilians can just... steadily leave for the relatively well-supplied western regions; this would be one reason to do so well before a single Russian flag is raised. This seems likely to occur as pedestrian retail supply issues hit the eastern regions. Those most pro-European by family, politics, and economics are most likely to move first, leading to a self-reinforcing political self-selection akin to the DPR/LPR.

This dynamic is a medium-term one and may be completely undone if e.g., the expected assault on the weekend collapses in chaos, or completely routs Kyiv (say). But it's something to consider in terms of the "what happens if this grinds on" forecast. Partition of some kind seems only too plausible.

Well the news in Poland today is that we have already took in 80k in civilians across the border.
We've also seen 20k Ukrainians go back home to fight, their workforce here is massive.

Those numbers will only grow, the goverment expect a milion of migrants, but that is underselling it i think. It's also something that we're be worrying a lot more in the coming weeks - for example, the construction of the Warsaw Metro is halted, as half the workforce left to fight for their homeland, and those that remained refuse to work with the Belarus workers.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

They do use yellow armbands and helmet bands and hats, which is pretty good.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

its too bad Russian fascists started a war putting them in this level of existential danger

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1497632817450266632

Germany appear to be sending 1000 anti tank missiles and 500 Stingers to Ukraine.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1497574435280367622?s=20&t=daSSbI0STLaR7zk9KyqJOw

This is a huge loving deal if true because now we would be getting into the truly economically debilitating territory.

If true this might actually force Putin to the negotiation table and save thousands or tens of thousands of lives. Do it, cowards. You can unfreeze the assets as soon as there is a peace deal

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

EvilHawk posted:

https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1497632817450266632

Germany appear to be sending 1000 anti tank missiles and 500 Stingers to Ukraine.

Folks, bullying German chancellors just works.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is a good post.

I think it was 10 years ago but I remember news stories about Russia and Gulf States trying to come up with an alternative to the dollar for trading your oil for exactly this reason.

I did a master's degree focused on the Russian economy about 13 years ago and that post is basically all I remember from that time :haw:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I did a master's degree focused on the Russian economy about 13 years ago and that post is basically all I remember from that time :haw:

Finally my Dinars will come through!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Folks, bullying German chancellors just works.

Yeah thats a ton of support.

I dont remember if they ever gave exact numbers for past arm shipments from other folks but thats a significant amount of desperately needed equipment.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/menscher/status/1497407833431674882

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1497574435280367622?s=20&t=daSSbI0STLaR7zk9KyqJOw

This is a huge loving deal if true because now we would be getting into the truly economically debilitating territory.

I really hope Putin realizes just how hard he miscalculated thinking he could lie to the world and pull off an easy little war of expansion.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Bellingcat is logging reported and verified croudsourced military sighting and incident locations

Filterable by date, country, army, etc.

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1497581992350736391?t=l-hTq38kfvRsqOCeGmD7OA&s=19

Not a whole lot from today yet, but shows movements going back to January

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

RedSnapper posted:

Yeah, it's surprising how many Poles show actual, not just vocal, but financial and material support for Ukraine (three people I know have actually offered to house refugees).
The bitter, cynical part of me wonders where was all this humane spirit when people were dying on our border with Belarus.

Those did not pass the paper beg test.