Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Randarkman posted:

I think a Ukrainian ministry confirmed it a couple hours ago. Just be happy those legends are alive.

Best news today! :cheersbird:

edit: leaving this up in the hope that they are indeed alive, brave people.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
This popped up recently:

https://www.bbc.com/russian/features-60528746

Seems like Kadyrov etc. knew of the invasion plans well in advance.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

von Vicious posted:

Ukraine is now accepting donations in Cryptocurrency. Maybe this is more accessible way of donating for some.
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1497594592438497282?cxt=HHwWhMC9vZyWw8gpAAAA

https://twitter.com/LakeFoundExit/status/1497611992051376136?s=20&t=GrMFGZGpEsSJi6XzcCT8Bw

e: seems legit after all
https://twitter.com/FedorovMykhailo/status/1497549813205848068?s=20&t=PqsprN9lYutWTLi1TkQFWQ

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 26, 2022

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Kingfish posted:

Seems like an insanely bad idea to just hand out thousands of guns to an untrained civilian population.

Don't worry, it is mainly this guy taking them all

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wouldn’t hold my breath about this one. I agree with concerns expressed previously by some posters, that backlash against Russian minorities in other countries may follow. For instance, in Latvia I worry that native Russia speakers will be even further ostracised from having a say in politics, on “national security concerns” grounds.

Oh yeah no those Russians in Latvia and Estonia are hosed. I live in Gdansk in northern Poland and we have regular visitors from Kaliningrad, they come here for shopping. I would hope that they don't come in the weeks to follow or there might be some incidents, we're not exaclty known for our hospitality towards Russians either...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hello Ukraine thread. I don't usually read or post here, but I think you'll be interested in this:

That's Scholz confirming the quick delivery of 1000 anti-tank launchers and 500 Stingers.

That will probably have some political fallout.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
What model ATM did Germany send?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Chechen national guard moving in, and according to an audio leak obtained by the BBC they've been preparing for weeks.

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1497632971548856322?t=96cJ3wiSHuircvIP3m1xkQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1497640323425521666?t=_su9S4hLC2V00xFsBSRqPA&s=19

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Double penetration. Pole is often as slang term for penis due to its similar long cylindrical shape and while being DPed there are two plural. Why he was discussing sex acts with his mother or why he’s sharing it with this thread I cannot say

Wanker. But true, it's probably better I didn't have Google in '62 to blithely look up DP.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

"Unsure of the future, Ukrainians Yaryna Arieva and Sviatoslav Fursin rushed their wedding and got married to the sounds of sirens blaring the Russian invasion.

Straight after their wedding, they both joined the local Territorial Defense Center to help efforts to defend their country.

Photo: Christian Streib/CNN"

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Antigravitas posted:

Hello Ukraine thread. I don't usually read or post here, but I think you'll be interested in this:

That's Scholz confirming the quick delivery of 1000 anti-tank launchers and 500 Stingers.

That will probably have some political fallout.

https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1497638225200001029?s=20&t=aledQ0sr4hCsRaPHPeaiHA
and here is the live tweet in English instead of a screenshot

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Telsa Cola posted:

Unclear, might be Panzerfäuste though. If they are from German supplies.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yeah thats hosed

Edit: The wedding thing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Telsa Cola posted:

Somewhere they mentioned Panzerfaust 3, which is closer to an RPG than a Javelin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Best news today! :cheersbird:

They now doubt the Russian video is legit. They are still verifying, as all infrastructure on the island was destroyed, and it's not clear how they could survive.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Vahakyla posted:

"Unsure of the future, Ukrainians Yaryna Arieva and Sviatoslav Fursin rushed their wedding and got married to the sounds of sirens blaring the Russian invasion.

Straight after their wedding, they both joined the local Territorial Defense Center to help efforts to defend their country.

Photo: Christian Streib/CNN"

Is that Michael cera?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Count Roland posted:

A no fly zone is a euphemism for war. The US has said repeatedly it won't go to war over this.

Geopolitics is dumb and likes to carve out bullshit "I'm not touching you you can't tell mom" rules about what is or isn't war. The west is already doing war by way of directly supplying advanced weaponry to Ukraine... just, right out in the open. We just convinced ourselves this was not war war.

So while I fully agree a no fly zone is a terrifyingly unwise escalation, I have given up assuming that's not where this could go just because it's irrational. I know that at this point Russia has shown enough weakness that an individual state might feel compelled to pledge "no fly support" knowing that Russia can't conventionally war against anyone else right now. Cool zone stuff

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

They now doubt the Russian video is legit. They are still verifying, as all infrastructure on the island was destroyed, and it's not clear how they could survive.

Someone last night did make a post here that the video was made on ship different from the supposed two vessels attacking the island. If I recall correctly, they also said that the ship where the video was filmed was in Azov Sea.

I haven’t looked into that myself - just bringing it up for reference.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Kavros posted:

Geopolitics is dumb and likes to carve out bullshit "I'm not touching you you can't tell mom" rules about what is or isn't war. The west is already doing war by way of directly supplying advanced weaponry to Ukraine... just, right out in the open. We just convinced ourselves this was not war war.

Yeah, and what's the difference, in effect, between a blockade (war war) and a full and total financial denial (not war war)?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Somewhere they mentioned Panzerfaust 3, which is closer to an RPG than a Javelin

I figured as much given the quantities given but that many in a city with elevated firing positions is a nightmare.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

An RPG you can shoot from inside a building without turning your insides to mush. Which, and I don't want to be glib, might come in handy soon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

All rail links between Russia and Ukraine have reportedly been destroyed
https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/02/26/7326208/

Evacuation trains will be running from Kyiv (are running as of this post)
https://t.me/UkrzalInfo/1180

Bridge on the primary route west out of the capital was blown up
https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/02/26/7326073/

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Trump posted:

My theory is that NATO is sharing on a 1:1 ratio, with boots on the ground on a C&C level.

How much NATO are directly interfering is a complete unknown, a little jamming here and there wouldn't surprise me.

There were absolutely British and American advisors on the ground 'training' the Ukrainians on use of the anti-tank weapon systems and stinger missiles when this started, nobody has said a gods damned thing about them since this started though.

It is also pretty loving clear that Ukraine is getting a lot more 'aid' than some ammunition deliveries from NATO. I would not be the least bit surprised if NATO is absolutely 100% helping coordinate the entire defense of Ukraine though intelligence, targeting and mission profiling, and who knows what else. I would not be surprised if NATO is arming, fueling, and letting the Ukrainian Air Force operated out of Poland and Romania.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

steinrokkan posted:

There’s a lot more trucks than tanks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

the popes toes posted:

Yeah, and what's the difference, in effect, between a blockade (war war) and a full and total financial denial (not war war)?

A blockade prevents anyone from trading with the belligerent, sanctions prevent those within a certain country from trading with them.

So Russia is still technically free to trade with anyone who's not sanctioning them, but unfortunately (for them) most of the world financial system goes through the US and Europe.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

. I would not be surprised if NATO is arming, fueling, and letting the Ukrainian Air Force operated out of Poland and Romania.

I would because thats incredibly easy for Russia to figure out, they would have figured it out, and they would very rightly raise a huge fuss about it.

I struggeled to phrase this a couple different ways but Russia would be within reason to bomb said airbases and tell NATO to pound sand.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 26, 2022

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the popes toes posted:

One involves shooting people.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

There were absolutely British and American advisors on the ground 'training' the Ukrainians on use of the anti-tank weapon systems and stinger missiles when this started, nobody has said a gods damned thing about them since this started though.

It is also pretty loving clear that Ukraine is getting a lot more 'aid' than some ammunition deliveries from NATO. I would not be the least bit surprised if NATO is absolutely 100% helping coordinate the entire defense of Ukraine though intelligence, targeting and mission profiling, and who knows what else. I would not be surprised if NATO is arming, fueling, and letting the Ukrainian Air Force operated out of Poland and Romania.

Advisors were pulled out last week? It was the start of the talk around the west abandoning Ukraine.

They no poo poo have been talking about using zoom instead.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

This is chilling, upsetting and heartwarming but also reminiscent of the stories I grew up with from the Warsaw Uprising.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Breaking news here in the UK is that Roman Abrahmovic has handed control of Chelsea over to their charitable foundation board of trustees. It's likely a move to avoid him getting sanctioned (and there were rumours today that Chelsea itself could go bust if that happened), by the sounds of it he'll still be funding the club but won't have any involvement with it's running (on paper).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/zekejmiller/status/1497647286079438851?s=21

Shoulda done it, Boris

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Watch Chechnya make a landing in San Francisco.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I don't really see the big deal about these guys. 10,000 of Kadyrov's gangsters being thrown into this will up the brutality, and that's a shame, but the Chechens won the Chechen wars because of home-field advantage. In Ukraine, they're out of their element. And it's not like most of them have seen this level of combat before: 2nd Chechen was 13 years ago and they've mostly been dealing with a low-level insurgency at this point. They're nothing but bullies and have never fought anyone remotely matched with them.

That said, maybe Kadyrov's Chechens and Azov Battalion can fight it out and chop each others heads off.

drunkill posted:

Don't worry, it is mainly this guy taking them all

Shades of Stalingrad and St. Petersburg where a bunch of kids collecting MG42s and MP40s.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ZombieLenin posted:

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1497574435280367622?s=20&t=daSSbI0STLaR7zk9KyqJOw

This is a huge loving deal if true because now we would be getting into the truly economically debilitating territory.

Does this mean Putin has close to or over 700,000,000,000 USD in cash?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russian Spetznaz appealing to the Ukrainian military directly. Is this common?

https://twitter.com/WorldNewsIL/status/1497566987144384514?t=ymraxBLzcBOVuVRJ7a9sgA&s=19

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-26-22/h_c28fef14820e4668f2eb30bcadcef874

quote:

Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa said Friday that the country would be sending reinforcements to join Ukrainian soldiers on the ground to help secure their borders as this “is a war against the freedom of self-determination of a democratic country and therefore it is also a war against the freedom of self-determination and against democracy."

Speaking at a televised news conference, the Portuguese prime minister went on to say, “there was an unanimity of all states, in view of the need to strengthen the NATO presence on the borders of Ukraine and in all the alliance countries that are close to the Ukraine region."

“Portugal, in this sense, in addition to the forces that this year has assigned to the European command of NATO, decided to anticipate, from the second half to the first half, the mobilization and commitment of an infantry company that will act in Romania and that will be projected in the coming weeks," Costa said.

"Several other countries at the moment are either anticipating or reinforcing or deciding to reinforce their participation with these countries [bordering Ukraine] in order to have a clear manifestation of unity and deterrence regarding Russia's actions," Costa added.

When asked for a specific number of that would be sent to support Ukraine, Costa said the infantry company would include 175 troopers.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
There's probably so much friendly fire going on in this war. Both sides are basically using the same vehicles and equipment. It must be so hard to tell who's who.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

ZombieLenin posted:

See? This! It's all war, but not war! It's allowed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Thaaaat might not be great from a everyone begining to pile in perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dutch Stingers for Ukraine
https://twitter.com/tomvanteinde/status/1497483115085901825

KWM wants to send 50 Gepards to Ukraine, if permitted
https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/plus237141331/50-Gepard-auf-Lager-deutscher-Ruestungskonzern-KMW-bietet-Panzer-fuer-Ukraine-an.html

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does this mean Putin has close to or over 700,000,000,000 USD in cash?

That's Russian war chest for this one, yeah. They've amassed a lot of hard cash and gold, and reduced their debt exposure quite well.