Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
proper scum

poo poo sorry just emailing my mum

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It's a feature that's been built into phones and radio access networks since GSM, it just needs a little bit of back-end work to integrate with the providers. It's *effectively* just an SMS sent to everyone connected to a particular mast or set of masts, I assume it's a little trickier to set up in the UK because we have 4 independent radio networks and a huge amount of micro- and picocells so properly targeting it regionally might be tricky, although probably doable if you stick to the city/county level.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

proper scum

poo poo sorry just emailing my mum

I wondered what that ping was.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

cos my mum is pegging you?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wait, you're N99's mum?

Someone update ukmt.xlsx

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

went different ways with that

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Lungboy posted:

Can you recommend some excel vids? My skillz can't pay the billz, so I'd like some quick and easy videos to boost my ability.

https://excelexposure.com/ is great, what got me to where I am today. Starts very basic, but really helpful for a beginner.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mourning Due posted:

https://excelexposure.com/ is great, what got me to where I am today. Starts very basic, but really helpful for a beginner.

where are you today though?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the us and canada also sends out regional AMBER alerts on the emergency notification system when a child is abducted

in ontario a few years ago there was the infamous "EVERYTHING IS FINE AT PICKERING NUCLEAR PLANT" that got sent out out of nowhere by accident lol

while annoying on the whole i think it's a good tool to have

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UK will opt to go with the preventative system of an ANDREW alert.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

UK will opt to go with the preventative system of an ANDREW alert.

is that where they send out the alerts to whatever region he's in that day

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

12million quid for everyone affected!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

mediaphage posted:

the us and canada also sends out regional AMBER alerts on the emergency notification system when a child is abducted

in ontario a few years ago there was the infamous "EVERYTHING IS FINE AT PICKERING NUCLEAR PLANT" that got sent out out of nowhere by accident lol

Well regional isn't exactly true since they decided to not geolocate amber alerts. So because Canada deliberately decided to only use the highest level of alert for everything, if there's an Amber Alert 14 hours away at 1am you get the same alarm as if a nuclear missile was incoming.

So nobody pays attention to them anymore.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

where are you today though?

Three fingers deep in the bowels of the Excel beast

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

is that where they send out the alerts to whatever region he's in that day
It worked out cheaper than putting up the signs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

lol and my lads lads lads whatsap chat/old uncle finlay finally meet up wih this thread

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

the monarchy needs to end

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Apparently the "committee" that manages the shared ownership of the communal gardens in our street is v. keen on having a Jubilee party this year.

My desire for Brenda to cark it has only increased.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well regional isn't exactly true since they decided to not geolocate amber alerts. So because Canada deliberately decided to only use the highest level of alert for everything, if there's an Amber Alert 14 hours away at 1am you get the same alarm as if a nuclear missile was incoming.

So nobody pays attention to them anymore.

i mean i don't get amber alerts from BC, but i do get them in ontario, which i don't mind since people get trafficked along the 401, that's regional

Guavanaut posted:

lmao

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Liverpool's £1 houses experiment. To qualify you had to live and work in Liverpool, bring them up to decent standard within 12 months and not sell for 5 years. Over 100 houses were included in the scheme.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/life-liverpools-1-houses-went-23206941

quote:

Life in Liverpool's £1 houses that went from derelict terraces to family homes
With just one £1 house left to complete, we went to meet some of the people that have been part of the scheme

If you think of what you could buy for £1, a house is not something that would immediately spring to mind.

But this is the reality for residents in the Webster Triangle area of Wavertree, who signed up to Liverpool City Council's ' Homes for a Pound' scheme.

The flagship project launched in 2015, offered a select number of people the chance to buy dilapidated, derelict and tinned-up homes for just £1 and try and turn them into proper homes.

Due to the poor condition the properties had been left in, many homeowners have spent tens of thousands of pounds bringing them back to life.

Liverpool City Council told the ECHO this week that 111 homes have now been completed in Wavertree as part of the scheme, with one left to be restored.

It's unclear whether there are any future plans to renovate the houses that remain derelict in the Webster Triangle that were not included in the £1 house scheme.

The ECHO previously reported back in 2017 that a further 350 families were being considered for available properties in future phases of the project.

However, a council spokesperson confirmed this week that no future £1 houses are planned for the city.

To find out what happened to the £1 houses in the Webster Triangle, we headed down to the area to speak to the families that live there.

"It was not in a liveable condition when we got the keys"
Rashida Fareez, 32, and her husband Althaf, 36, signed up to the £1 house scheme in the Webster Triangle after renting in the L8 area.

The scheme involved over one hundred properties in Webster Road, Garrick Street, Bird Street and Richardson Street, which are located off Smithdown Road.

To be eligible for a £1 house applicants had to live and work in Liverpool and homes were only handed over on the condition that the buyer could bring them up to a decent standard within 12 months and not sell it on for five years.

etc

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This is absolutely going to be abused for totally mundane poo poo and/or get hacked and spam everybody in the country. Either way it's going to be the next big thing all my friends will be sick to death of me moaning about, very exciting

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Liverpool's £1 houses experiment. To qualify you had to live and work in Liverpool, bring them up to decent standard within 12 months and not sell for 5 years. Over 100 houses were included in the scheme.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/life-liverpools-1-houses-went-23206941

That’s tremendous. I love that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

therattle posted:

That’s tremendous. I love that.

I'm a big fan of the first comment being "IT WAS THE EU THAT MADE THOSE HOUSES BE EMPTY ALL THAT TIME".
Even when you've got an article literally stating that it was the Tories that withdrew funding for the homes to be demolished and rebuilt, there's a brown-noser trying to blame someone - anyone - else.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kingturnip posted:

I'm a big fan of the first comment being "IT WAS THE EU THAT MADE THOSE HOUSES BE EMPTY ALL THAT TIME".
Even when you've got an article literally stating that it was the Tories that withdrew funding for the homes to be demolished and rebuilt, there's a brown-noser trying to blame someone - anyone - else.

That wasn't there when I posted it, LOL.

I've seen so many comments similar to this in the last few weeks blaming the EU or Labour for things that are done entirely by the tories.
How on earth do we counteract this complete ignorance (not meant in a pejorative sense but in the literal sense)?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That wasn't there when I posted it, LOL.

I've seen so many comments similar to this in the last few weeks blaming the EU or Labour for things that are done entirely by the tories.
How on earth do we counteract this complete ignorance (not meant in a pejorative sense but in the literal sense)?

I suspect a lot of it is just bullshittery, i.e. trolling.
Otherwise... well, you don't. The Tories are making life increasingly hard for younger voters, so the best move really is to try to make your case to younger voters who will hopefully take an anti-Tory voting stance into the next couple of decades of General Elections.

The other approach is to look at where funding comes from. The Tories have actually done a really good job of devolving responsibility for their spending cuts by firstly giving the money they're about to cut to local government. This has given them a very handy degree of separation from the impact of their spending cuts.
Mr gently caress-the-EU blames the Labour council for cutting the number of bin collections, but the council did this because the Tories cut the amount they give to local government by 40%, and local councils have a very limited number of ways they can raise income. The most equitable is probably parking fines, but that just results in rage from all quarters, so cuts to local services it is. There is scope for you to make some inroads with this argument, but it does rely on the person you're discussing it with not being a complete moron.

Which, well, this is the UK after all...

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

mediaphage posted:

Yeah these are a pain in the arse. I think they send them out province-wide for any child abduction and of course, each of the provinces is bigger than the UK. I'm in Ontario which is like 2000km wide so 99% of the alerts we get (which often seem to happen at like 3am) are for miles and miles away. They make your phone make a loud horrible siren noise that freaks my cats out if it's not muted, or do the max-strength big vibrate thingy if it is. Cause we're on the border with Quebec we sometimes get ones in French if we're connected to one of their masts, too.

Also it seems like most child abductions are like, one parent has taken the child away without telling the other parent. Also they're usually saying like "Look for them in a [vehicle description], license plate ABC123" but sometimes they literally don't even have that, or even a description of the person or child so like... what are you supposed to be looking for?

... That said, I did receive a genuinely useful one telling me I was possibly about to be merked by a tornado. I wasn't, of course, but there was a big tornado in 2018 like 6 months before we moved here that destroyed a load of stuff. I didn't know when I bought my new house here but we have this huge tree in the front garden, it's about 20m tall (like twice as tall as my house). Well apparently there were two of them before the tornado. The other one fell over into the road, and the city gave the previous owner 24 hours to remove it or get some huge fines, so he got a bunch of people who lived on the street to help him chop it to bits with chainsaws.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 27, 2022

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Lungboy posted:

Feck, sounds great but out of stock everywhere. Can anyone recommend another one?

For anyone still looking for one of these Amazon are currently selling for 130 and have stock, allegedly,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meaco-20L-Energy-Dehumidifier-Condensation/dp/B00HO963A6/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

I suspect a lot of it is just bullshittery, i.e. trolling.
Otherwise... well, you don't. The Tories are making life increasingly hard for younger voters, so the best move really is to try to make your case to younger voters who will hopefully take an anti-Tory voting stance into the next couple of decades of General Elections.

If only there were an anti-Tory party for them to vote for.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lemurtron posted:

For anyone still looking for one of these Amazon are currently selling for 130 and have stock, allegedly,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meaco-20L-Energy-Dehumidifier-Condensation/dp/B00HO963A6/

I just bought the smaller one

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've been browsing through the Ukraine news today and it's striking just how bad it all is. I've searched in vain through all the bullshit of strident comment pieces, breathless announcements that Russian vodka is being withdrawn from sale, thinkpieces about whether Putin is a Stalin or a Hitler and feel good stories about Ukrainian grannies shooting down helicopters with catapults and nowhere can I find the most basic news about the actual military situation i.e what main detachments are operating in the region and what's going on with them.

Reading between the lines, it sounds very much like Ukraine's central military command has disintegrated and their soldiers are fighting in small, local formations while the Russians roam the countryside at will... was the Iraq invasion reporting as useless as this, I can't think back to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've been browsing through the Ukraine news today and it's striking just how bad it all is. I've searched in vain through all the bullshit of strident comment pieces, breathless announcements that Russian vodka is being withdrawn from sale, thinkpieces about whether Putin is a Stalin or a Hitler and feel good stories about Ukrainian grannies shooting down helicopters with catapults and nowhere can I find the most basic news about the actual military situation i.e what main detachments are operating in the region and what's going on with them.

If we can read it, the Russians can.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the absolute last thing you should do to help the ukrainians is publish information on the fighting beyond russians getting occasionally dunked. It is a very good thing that ukrainian opsec has been as good as it has and dipshit journos have refrained for publishing their force disposition for a story.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Pistol_Pete posted:

Reading between the lines, it sounds very much like Ukraine's central military command has disintegrated and their soldiers are fighting in small, local formations while the Russians roam the countryside at will... was the Iraq invasion reporting as useless as this, I can't think back to it.

This isn't the Ukraine War thread. Why don't you try there?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah the absolute last thing you should do to help the ukrainians is publish information on the fighting beyond russians getting occasionally dunked. It is a very good thing that ukrainian opsec has been as good as it has and dipshit journos have refrained for publishing their force disposition for a story.

Unlike most wars in recent memory, "our" side is actually in the right and so doesn't need a constant stream of positive PR so doesn't feel the need to have Geraldo Rivera in a tank. Also of course "our" side isn't just taking potshots from hundreds of miles away so security is actually a thing that can change the course of the war.

Doesn't help that journalists have completely forgotten how to do anything that isn't copying and pasting from official sources - there's not even a Martin Bell out there with a camera crew trying to get images of the fighting (and getting shot because wearing an Our Man In Havana white suit in an active warzone is a loving stupid idea).

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Rust Martialis posted:

This isn't the Ukraine War thread. Why don't you try there?

english speaking media output is very much a theme of this thread

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Well that and Russia is doing this so poorly you dont even need propaganda to spin it. Russia is literally sending unsupported tank coloums full of their special forces into obvious ambushes and getting them blown up.

I genuinely Putin has been sat huffing his farts for too long and accidently believed all the propoganda and disinformation his regime was putting out and actually believed Ukraine would instantly surrender and all the civies would be waving little russian flags to celebrate the russians restoring freedom to Ukraine.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Pistol_Pete posted:

This doesn’t tally with the general view, which is that the professional Ukrainian army (roughly 300,000 troops) is doing a good job of maintaining opsec and is getting a *lot* of intelligence and logistical support from NATO. Russian material is getting taken out by drones and anti-tank missiles (the UK has uncharacteristically given a couple of thousand extremely effective modern portable launchers - NLAWs) not grannies. Although the grannies have been issued AKs.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Well that and Russia is doing this so poorly you dont even need propaganda to spin it. Russia is literally sending unsupported tank coloums full of their special forces into obvious ambushes and getting them blown up.

I genuinely Putin has been sat huffing his farts for too long and accidently believed all the propoganda and disinformation his regime was putting out and actually believed Ukraine would instantly surrender and all the civies would be waving little russian flags to celebrate the russians restoring freedom to Ukraine.

I think it's fair to say that most people are surprised at 1) the fact he went as far as kyiv at all, and 2) the scale of resistance.

All these millionaire world champion boxers and poo poo going back to fight is a hell of an image too

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

jiggerypokery posted:

english speaking media output is very much a theme of this thread

I am surprised the English still think if it's not in The Times or the Beeb it's not happening.

The OP is clearly getting poor info based on his claim the Russians are running wild, maybe sticking to UK media is the problem and not the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Filboid Studge posted:

(the UK has uncharacteristically given a couple of thousand extremely effective modern portable launchers - NLAWs)

Paid for with public money, bought off someones mate. :cheersdoge: