Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I feel like that'd be close to losing a chunk of the 101st at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah il76s have been produced for decades for civilian and military operators, but the loss of 2 (or possibly 4) full crews is a completely different matter. They can probably scrap shiity plane to make the better planes run for decades, but i would guess that russia has a harder time keeping pilots in their military than the US does when you can walk out the door and grab a job with limited retraining and get paid way more than you can in the military. Ontop of that there are times when russia hasnt been ABLE to pay their military for months at a time. Thats not even getting into how many troopers went down with the planes or possibly more importantly with the logistics issues, the cargo that would have been dropped in alongside the troops.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Given how civil Ukraine has been thus far, there's a good chance there's not close-ups of the single alleged confirmed downing of a Candid because there might be a lot of gory aftermath.

Also, if it was downed by something other than MANPADS it'd stand to reason Ukraine doesn't want to give Russia free Intel where their Buks are.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's then holy gently caress if real

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
3 months from now it will be "934th confirmed loss of an IL-76, this one was killed by our supermodel/sniper who specializes in scoped revolvers and also writes poetry"

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I'm just waiting for footage so that I can make a "Curb Your Vertical Envelopment" gag.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

To be clear, didn't mean to poo poo on anyone's reporting of stuff coming out of twitter, its just that this is also one of the first wars where everyone on the outside looking in has realized the value of OSINT, but potentially not the pitfalls of OSINT possibly being fabricated. War's brand new, nobody *still* knows what's going on, beyond the broadest level of "poo poo is not going the way Russia expected."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's then holy gently caress if real

The initial reaction to every live tweet from the war zone?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Xakura posted:

You can't blame that on the ukrainians :confused: To get the response they'd want, you'd have to attack some russian city.

Cherobyl was captured because it's on the way.

There's only a couple of bridges suitable for armor on that stretch of river, and one's near Chernobyl. The power station was a sideshow to getting tanks and IFVs down from Belarus towards Kiyv

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's entirely fair. You could also think of us as cheering on the underdog in a title fight, every punch he lands is a victory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

orange juche posted:

To be clear, didn't mean to poo poo on anyone's reporting of stuff coming out of twitter, its just that this is also one of the first wars where everyone on the outside looking in has realized the value of OSINT, but potentially not the pitfalls of OSINT possibly being fabricated. War's brand new, nobody *still* knows what's going on, beyond the broadest level of "poo poo is not going the way Russia expected."

There was a briefing with US defense officials this morning. tl;dr is that an estimated 50% of the active Russian military is believed to be engaged in Ukraine at this time, modern ATGMs used by Ukrainian infantry in terrain have been horrifyingly effective, and that Ukrainian air defense and air force have been far more effective and resilient than anticipated.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got put in Twitter jail for tweeting at Putin that he should “eat poo poo and die”. :(

I salute your sacrifice.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

There was a briefing with US defense officials this morning. tl;dr is that an estimated 50% of the active Russian military is believed to be engaged in Ukraine at this time, modern ATGMs used by Ukrainian infantry in terrain have been horrifyingly effective, and that Ukrainian air defense and air force have been far more effective and resilient than anticipated.

Wait, that's 50% of the TOTAL active military? I thought it was 50% of the forces massed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cythereal posted:

Link?

Also, whether or not the "Ghost of Kiev" and all the dead paratroopers are real, it's undeniable that Ukraine has done significant damage to the Russian invasion force and slowed them a lot more than anyone expected. That's real.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/MazMHussain/status/1497732585518247936?s=20&t=LqsVD6sjPP_Bcf2335bhWg

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I got put in Twitter jail for tweeting at Putin that he should “eat poo poo and die”. :(

Actually you're a pretty cool IK.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's entirely fair. You could also think of us as cheering on the underdog in a title fight, every punch he lands is a victory.

That’s true, yeah, but this is like the goddamn Wepner Vs Ali fight right now.

orange juche posted:

Actually you're a pretty cool IK.

Still trying to figure out who did that one. I thought it was Desert Bus because of the Moby joke but apparently someone else picked that one up.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Ah poo poo well that ought to do it, back to your base everyone. Start weapons cleaning and rotate out for chow.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Lol swift went through, and suddenly putin lost tulsi

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait, that's 50% of the TOTAL active military? I thought it was 50% of the forces massed.

Bylatov was correct. Sorry, misremembered! The 50% estimate was from a CNN interview and was 50% of the forces massed, not total.

The official briefing:

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1497597844534042628

quote:

A Saturday morning background briefing with a senior U.S. defense official about the war in Ukraine just concluded.

First takeaway: Russian reconnaissance troops are now in and near Kyiv, the capital, even as main Russian advanced is about 30 kilometers north, official said.
The official declined to say whether these forces are Spetsnaz. By virtue of their role, they'd attempt to prep the battlefield for further advancement.

That said: Stiff resistance remains. Russian forces are “increasingly frustrated” by their lack of momentum, official says.
Airspace over Ukraine remains contested, U.S. official says, in contradiction to expectations before the invasion that Russia would quickly seize control of the skies.

Ukrainian jets and air-defense systems are active and continue to “engage and deny," U.S. official says.
U.S. official says that while the Russians advance on Kyiv and there is fighting there, the heaviest battles in Ukraine were still near the northeastern city of Kharkiv.

All of that could quickly change, of course.
As of Saturday morning in Washington, the Pentagon had observed more than 250 missiles launched on Ukrainian targets, up from more than 200 on Friday, senior U.S. defense official says.
Senior U.S. defense official about Russian missile attacks:

“There’s no doubt in our mind that civilian infrastructure and civilian areas are being hit as a result of these barrages."
Pentagon also notes the expanding refugee population.

“We do continue to see increases in the numbers of people trying to leave the country," senior U.S. defense official says. "The lines are stacking up on the Ukrainian side of the border with Poland. In some cases very long.”
Shortly before this briefing, the State Department announced an additional $350 million in security assistance going to the Ukrainians. U.S. defense official says that will include more Javelin missiles, anti-armor weapons that the Ukrainians want.
Weapons deliveries to Ukraine occurred via transport plane prior to invasion. That isn't happening now. But U.S. official says deliveries have continued, even in last few days.

Asked about ground routes, official implied that would be one possibility but did not specify.
Final point: As of Saturday morning in Washington, not a single major Ukrainian city has fallen to Russia, days after this invasion began.

Outgunned or not, the Ukrainians are making this painful for Putin and his army.
Post-script about weapons: Senior U.S. defense official was asked if the U.S. will now send Stinger missiles, man-portable antiaircraft weapons (which Baltic allies have previously, for the record).

Official declined to go beyond saying Javelins will be included.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Xakura posted:

Lol swift went through, and suddenly putin lost tulsi

How many days till Tucker does the heel turn

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Bears are airborne, probably.

https://twitter.com/te3ej/status/1497750781633736706

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Wikipedia says the total production run for the Il-76 was ~950, and that Russia had a 2016 fleet of ~120. The rest of the production has either attritted or stayed with the host country after the Soviet Union collapsed.

There are photos of a downed Il-76 tail ball turret gun sitting among wreckage in a field, but that is from a Ukrainian Il-76 Russia shot-down back in 2014.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poo poo, aren’t those loaded exclusively with cruise missiles? Unless Ukraine has things to intercept (unlikely) or some “Ukrainian” jets step in, this is gonna be bad.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Cythereal posted:

Bylatov was correct. Sorry, misremembered! The 50% estimate was from a CNN interview and was 50% of the forces massed, not total.

The official briefing:

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1497597844534042628

It’s 50% of the 70% of their total forces (which were massed at the boarder)

So 35% of the entire Russian military is in Ukraine.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Quick! Invade from the Aleutians!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

gently caress

Also post/user name combo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Naramyth posted:

Is it, like, everyone who got put on. Performance Improvement Plan, orrr….

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poo poo, aren’t those loaded exclusively with cruise missiles? Unless Ukraine has things to intercept (unlikely) or some “Ukrainian” jets step in, this is gonna be bad.

Russia has lobbed a lot of cruise missiles into Ukraine in the last few days, this is just yet another strike.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Naramyth posted:

gently caress

Also post/user name combo

With the range of the missiles, and how visible and slow those things are, it feels like a dare for the RAF typhoons to try something and bring NATO in.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Is it, like, everyone who got put on. Performance Improvement Plan, orrr….

Probably a lot of conscripts who were told they were just on wargames duty until “get in blayt, we’re going invading”

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

With the range of the missiles, and how visible and slow those things are, it feels like a dare for the RAF typhoons to try something and bring NATO in.

No NATO country is going to risk escalation over a cruise missile strike. Don't mean to pour cold water on things there but nobody's going to escalate to direct conflict between NATO and Russia unless Russia swings first, and it's a deliberate attack.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Naramyth posted:

Probably a lot of conscripts who were told they were just on wargames duty until “get in blayt, we’re going invading”
Comrade, the Army's minimum PT score is 180, but you still scored below the battalion minimum. Go see the retention NCO commissar.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Commissar is just Russian for first shirt

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

orange juche posted:

No NATO country is going to risk escalation over a cruise missile strike. Don't mean to pour cold water on things there but nobody's going to escalate to direct conflict between NATO and Russia unless Russia swings first, and it's a deliberate attack.

Dare isn’t really the right word. It’s obvious and loud and they know there’s NATO fighters there. Taunt! That’s the word I was looking for.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Why the gently caress does Russia do comm in the weirdest way?

Like how is sending - . - over shortwave over and over helping anything?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Elon Musk is reportedly sending Starlink terminals to Ukraine as Russia appears to be disrupting Internet connectivity there.

This may not be a good thing at all since it can be triangulated and targeted.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1497745011932286979

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Elon Musk is reportedly sending Starlink terminals to Ukraine as Russia appears to be disrupting Internet connectivity there.

This may not be a good thing at all since it can be triangulated and targeted.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1497745011932286979

That implies any of their actions are based on real time intel.

Russia hasn't acted rationally so far, why would they start using logic now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

That implies any of their actions are based on real time intel.

Russia hasn't acted rationally so far, why would they start using logic now?

They’ll just triangulate it and try to drop paratroopers on it.