Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Elon Musk is reportedly sending Starlink terminals to Ukraine as Russia appears to be disrupting Internet connectivity there.

This may not be a good thing at all since it can be triangulated and targeted.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1497745011932286979

Maybe the Russians will blow up Elon for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Elon Musk is reportedly sending Starlink terminals to Ukraine as Russia appears to be disrupting Internet connectivity there.

This may not be a good thing at all since it can be triangulated and targeted.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1497745011932286979

If they’re only receiving, they could be safe. Transmitting though, the things will be wayyyy brighter than a cellphone :smith:

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If only we could be so lucky.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sentinel posted:

If only we could be so lucky.

I don't think anyone would vote to retaliate even if it happened on US soil.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Kazinsal posted:

I don't think anyone would vote to retaliate even if it happened on US soil.

I think we’d have to help them take Ukraine at that point

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

bonus points if he's in his stupid submarine at the time

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Can’t wait for Elon to call Putin a pedo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FrozenVent posted:

Can’t wait for Elon to call Putin a pedo.

He might even be right this time.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

That Works posted:

How many days till Tucker does the heel turn

Depends if they pay in advance or arrears. Looks like arrears, because there's already one aboutface tweet doing the rounds.

I really hope Putin in his flailing (or his successor) opens the books on Russian compromise/support of political and media figures.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 27, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

With the range of the missiles, and how visible and slow those things are, it feels like a dare for the RAF typhoons to try something and bring NATO in.

Cruise missiles are generally not that visible. Detection has gotten a lot better in the past 20 years or so, but I don't know how well Ukraine's hardware is going to pick them up. But with how smart Ukrainian air defenses have been, I could see them doing a fair job of solving this problem. I wouldn't put money on it, but I certainly wouldn't bet against them after what we've seen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Cruise missiles are generally not that visible. Detection has gotten a lot better in the past 20 years or so, but I don't know how well Ukraine's hardware is going to pick them up. But with how smart Ukrainian air defenses have been, I could see them doing a fair job of solving this problem. I wouldn't put money on it, but I certainly wouldn't bet against them after what we've seen.

The planes are visible (on radar, being 50’s turboprops), not the missiles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
https://twitter.com/loopsieboopsie/status/1497530493805350916

'"Go gently caress yourself, I haven't cooked the soup yet" Kharkiv is not easy for you to take'

Ukrainians are full of hard quotes for morale. Old man yells at cloud? Nah. Old man yells at artillery for interfering with his dinner.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BBC Russia apparently got their hands on voice mails between Kadyrov and subordinates detailing pre-invasion preparation:

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1497632971548856322

https://www-bbc-com.translate.goog/russian/features-60528746?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

quote:

A few days later, "Martynov" says that he had just "completed work in Smolensk", where he reported on all the "moments" that await his unit when it crosses the border.

"One hundred percent of all the actions that we will do there, they are approved and supported by the leadership. Today I reported in detail how our units will act when repelling an attack if we fall into an ambush [...]. I reported on the work itself in a separate block in the city. We ourselves arranged where we would enter, which buildings, what to take under control. "

From Smolensk, "Martynov" said, he is heading to Bryansk, where "it is planned to hold an extended meeting with the commanders." Separately, he assured the "boss" that he did not tell anyone anything, and the official version, which he voiced to his subordinates, was that "Russian-Belarusian exercises have begun, by order of the chief we are participating in these exercises."

And when there are only a day left until the moment when they "enter", "Martynov" will bring all the information. Prior to that, he planned to "move to Moscow" to take "clean Ukrainian SIM cards" and "special satellite modems."

By "we" he means "subdivisions of the Chechen Republic".

quote:

Presumably a week before the Russian invasion, "Martynov" says that the purpose of the operation was finally conveyed to a wide range of commanders.

Many were struck by it, he admits.

"Today [in Smolensk] all groups have gathered, the commanders of all SOBR, OMON, military detachments of special units have gathered. Most of the commanders today heard for the first time all the tasks and goals that we face. Chief, to be honest, many commanders listened to this with bulging eyes ", barely restrained their emotions. There was a lot of talk: many commanders are worried that they will have "refuseniks" who will refuse to write a report," he said with excitement.

“Naturally, this does not concern us, we have been repeatedly set as an example today,” Martynov immediately reports.

quote:

A few days later he reports.

"Tonight, the first group, plus our advanced group, is advancing to point B, in Belarus. And we are advancing with all our staff tomorrow night."

"Kadyrov" is driving in a car, Caucasian music is playing in the background, a certain "Adam" is sitting next to him. "Adam and I are preparing, there is help," he jokes.

The laughter of Kadyrov's companion is not heard. It is known that State Duma deputy Adam Delimkhanov is close to Kadyrov.

“Ramzan Akhmatovich, elder brother, thanks for the help! But we hope that we will invite you when we have already set up the music, our correct one, and we will prepare dances in the Maidan or Khreshchatyk area,” “Martynov” joyfully picks up.

quote:

Presumably February 23 "Martynov" excitedly reports.

"Ramzan Akhmatovich, everything is in perfect order with us, all our construction teams are fully trained, hammers are ready, saws are ready, they took nails with them, they are fully loaded. And they are ready to perform any task in seven hours."

Under construction work and hammers with saws, perhaps, the upcoming operation and weapons are meant.

"May Allah grant that construction and construction end successfully, that they lay a solid foundation so that you can complete the construction," Kadyrov rejoices.

On the morning of February 24, Russia launched a military operation in Ukraine.

"Ready to fulfill any of your assigned tasks, any of your orders," - this is how "Martynov" ends each of his voice messages.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Why the gently caress does Russia do comm in the weirdest way?

Like how is sending - . - over shortwave over and over helping anything?

Are they NDBs?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Icon Of Sin posted:

If they’re only receiving, they could be safe. Transmitting though, the things will be wayyyy brighter than a cellphone :smith:

Starlink is a receiver/transmitter. There are ground stations until they get enough units up to do satellite to satellite relay.

I got some friends in the middle of butt-gently caress nowhere Canada who are happy to stream full speed data and play fps shooters online for the first time in their area.

They can probably use the dishes in areas far enough away from anything critical and use them to support a local network away from the dish. If they use the dish they may have to relocate them every time to prevent precise triangulation...

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Ukrainians are rolling out prototype vehicles to fight the Russians.

https://twitter.com/Mukhtarr_MD/status/1497637375521931265

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

A hidden silo door below maiden square opens.
An elevator lifts the first prototype gundam onto the field.*

Sentinel fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 27, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Has Ukraine already begun deploying captured tanks or IFVs? Would that be practical/a good idea? I’d assume they’d already be familiar with how to drive them and have the needed parts/ammo on hand.

Related, wonder if NATO has made it clear they’d love to get their hands on parts from the new T-14s.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Has Ukraine already begun deploying captured tanks or IFVs? Would that be practical/a good idea? I’d assume they’d already be familiar with how to drive them and have the needed parts/ammo on hand.

Related, wonder if NATO has made it clear they’d love to get their hands on parts from the new T-14s.

Has the T-14 been delivered, much less deployed?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Big one: the Ukrainian troops on Snake Island ("Russian warship, go gently caress yourself") may have been captured instead of killed.

https://www.facebook.com/100066866381279/posts/285013563737521

State Border Guard Service of Ukraine posted:

We got strong beliefs that all Ukrainian defenders of Zmiiniy Island may be alive

The SBGSU and the Armed Forces, like the whole of Ukraine, have received hope that all of Zmiiny's defenders are alive.

Russian media reported that Ukrainian servicemen on the island, who were temporarily occupied by Russia in Sevastopol, had been sent to Sevastopol.

Preliminary information that border guards may be dead came before the defenders lost contact.

As previously reported, on February 24, the aggressor fired from naval weapons and used combat aircraft on border guards and soldiers of the Armed Forces on the island of Zmiiny.

According to available information at the time, the infrastructure was destroyed and the island captured.

Prior to that, the enemy repeatedly tried in vain to intimidate Ukrainian defenders with demands to surrender and received only one correct answer - no one will surrender.

We understand that Russian propagandists know how to make the necessary information attacks and use them, noting that Ukrainian defenders have surrendered.

Border guards and fighters of the Armed Forces bravely defended themselves, especially in the face of the overwhelming means of defeat and enemy forces.

Work to learn about the fate of Ukrainian defenders continued in all possible directions.

Currently, after receiving information about their probable location, the SBGS together with the Armed Forces is working to identify our soldiers, which is common in open networks.

We sincerely hope that the boys will return home as soon as possible, and the information received at the time of the attack on the death will not be confirmed.

Glory to Ukrainian defenders !!!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The heroes live to fight another day! Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 27, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cugel the Clever posted:

The heroes live to fight another day!

We can only pray their balls survive to improve the human genepool.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

IPCRESS posted:

Has the T-14 been delivered, much less deployed?

Nope. "2023" is the new year it'll be ready.

Don't worry, though. They're still going to pull 2300 out of their asses. *Somehow*.

Same with the PAK-NYET and the Mach 4+ MiG-41.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So it seems that no matter how you look at it, this war hasn’t exactly worked out well for Russia. They’ve underestimated the capabilities and morale of Ukraine and its people, lost more men and materiel than they likely had anticipated, and still don’t control a single major population center in the country. NATO is acting like more of a defensive alliance in Europe than it has in decades, and many Western countries are working to isolate Russia from the global financial system, which will directly undermine Putin’s support from his elites. Even if Putin is able to grab Kiev, overthrow Zelensky and install a puppet government- how is his strategic position any better than it was before he started the war? No matter what happens, it seems like the big takeaways are “if you’re a neighbor of Russia and not a member of NATO yet, join yesterday” and “increase the capabilities of your armed forces to deter Russian aggression”- neither of which exactly help Moscow, and it also looks like the West will be content to punish Moscow from a political and economic perspective.

If Putin doesn’t achieve his objectives through force and doesn’t get a favorable diplomatic solution, then what does that mean for his political fortunes at home? Does he double down in Ukraine or escalate elsewhere in order to save face?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I don't see this working out for him at all. I would not be surprised if Putin was gone before the year is out, or even much sooner.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Naked Bear posted:

I don't see this working out for him at all. I would not be surprised if Putin was gone before the year is out, or even much sooner.

Hopefully, especially as the sanctions impact everyday Russian life. Like no vacations to Europe, more expensive if even available imports, and being seen as a pariah state.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Naked Bear posted:

The Ides of March are coming up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

So it seems that no matter how you look at it, this war hasn’t exactly worked out well for Russia. They’ve underestimated the capabilities and morale of Ukraine and its people, lost more men and materiel than they likely had anticipated, and still don’t control a single major population center in the country. NATO is acting like more of a defensive alliance in Europe than it has in decades, and many Western countries are working to isolate Russia from the global financial system, which will directly undermine Putin’s support from his elites. Even if Putin is able to grab Kiev, overthrow Zelensky and install a puppet government- how is his strategic position any better than it was before he started the war? No matter what happens, it seems like the big takeaways are “if you’re a neighbor of Russia and not a member of NATO yet, join yesterday” and “increase the capabilities of your armed forces to deter Russian aggression”- neither of which exactly help Moscow, and it also looks like the West will be content to punish Moscow from a political and economic perspective.

If Putin doesn’t achieve his objectives through force and doesn’t get a favorable diplomatic solution, then what does that mean for his political fortunes at home? Does he double down in Ukraine or escalate elsewhere in order to save face?

Nobody knows. This could really be the end of Putin, should a critical mass of influential Russians decide to get rid of him. But I'd also caution that it's still possible that he achieves his goal in Ukraine, at least in the short term. The distance between Kyiv and the Belarus border is about 100 kilometers. And as far as I know, advancing about 20 kilometers per day into hostile territory is considered to be a good pace. From all we know, the Russians are not managing a good pace, but that also means that the bulk of the Russian forces hasn't reached Kyiv yet. They tried to take over the nearby airport to have an easier time to quickly amass troops at the capital, but failed spectacularly. The soldiers who are now fighting in Kyiv are apparently mostly recon units, which explains why the Ukrainian army is able to hold the city. The real test will come in about three or four days I think, when the Russian main forces arrive at the city. Perhaps a bit later, should they be forced to detour/ford rivers themselves, etc. But I think military logic says that Russia should be able to take the capital. Urban warfare is a total clusterfuck, so it won't be easy by any means, but most analysts predicted that the Russians do have the forces to take Kyiv. Which would then allow Moscow to install a puppet head of state in the capital at least. And probably kill quite a number of Ukrainian officials, maybe including the president.

What happens then is anybody's guess. A Russian puppet would have zero legitimacy in the rest of the country, only being able to exercise authority in the Russian controlled parts of Ukraine. If the fighting generally went really bad for Russia, perhaps Putin will claim victory, say that he achieved his goal of denazification, and pulls his troops back to Russia, Belarus, Crimea and the two "breakaway states"? Leaving his puppet government to be immediately deposed, which his state controlled media might not tell the Russians about? That would probably be something of a dream scenario. Or he becomes even more unhinged and escalates the war even more? At which point he might or might not get deposed? Nobody really knows.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I just want to make a point about some of this poo poo, IE The Ghost.

It doesn't matter if it's bullshit to us, to a Grunt, it's true. Just like every Sniper was Juba, every fighter seen will be The Ghost to the dudes on the ground.

The world gets very small, and the information streams very narrow when you are in a no poo poo war. Easy example is Generation Kill- the whole thing with J-Lo? That poo poo was loving real. Then every rumor of everything becomes fact.

Wars and warriors create their own mythologies.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
A whole bunch of interesting people are gonna be sweating while they have a glitch in the payroll system.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bulletsponge13 posted:

Wars and warriors create their own mythologies.

Absolutely. That's part of why Zelenskyy staying on the ground and putting out excellent propaganda soundbites is so important for morale, too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/OlegNikolenko_/status/1497833836226527235

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Some of these Russian recon elements have basically been acting as resupply convoys for the Ukrainians. Just saw some footage of one of them destroyed this morning in Kharkhiv, and the Ukrainian regulars were helping themselves to ammo and equipment.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
BMD getting spooked and shooting at a war monument in a park

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497829216695599104

Personally I don't know why the gently caress you'd be standing at a window filming when someone is letting a 30mm? rip at your general direction

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some people have no sense of self-preservation. But it worked out for this guy, and we get more footage, so I'm not complaining.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Russia's getting a little less precise with those "precision" munitions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0873d0384b1f1c

quote:

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy said Sunday that Russia was bombarding residential areas in Ukraine, AFP reports, but warned “we will fight as long as it takes to liberate the country.”

In an address posted online, Zelenskiy said: “The past night in Ukraine was brutal, again shooting, again bombardments of residential areas, civilian infrastructure.”

“Today, there is not a single thing in the country that the occupiers do not consider an acceptable target. They fight against everyone. They fight against all living things - against kindergartens, against residential buildings and even against ambulances.”

He said Russian forces were “firing rockets and missiles at entire city districts in which there isn’t and never has been any military infrastructure”.

“Vasylkiv, Kyiv, Chernigiv, Sumy, Kharkiv and many other towns in Ukraine are living in conditions that were last experienced on our lands during World War II.”

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

psydude posted:

Some of these Russian recon elements have basically been acting as resupply convoys for the Ukrainians. Just saw some footage of one of them destroyed this morning in Kharkhiv, and the Ukrainian regulars were helping themselves to ammo and equipment.

Yup, some Ukrainian soldiers have some high-speed gear now, courtesy of (alleged) Spetznaz: https://twitter.com/pmakela1/status/1497844124921339906?t=rfxQ0Fx0L9sZt4agmPynFg&s=19

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Have some footage of a TB-2 destroying Russian vehicles:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/t2k12f/first_tb2_drone_footage_from_ukraine/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Video was confirmed by the Ukrainians.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Same, repeated on twitter
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1497867247875985415?t=9ko8uCN1tUudfOjtv1rFzQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1497867892335026180?t=I7jYxiIOYmHilA-z2jKASQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/khalfaguliyev/status/1497866293051109376?t=YFNaBtL7apUbT2-Vym8CfQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Stairmaster posted:

seems premature to say russia is losing when they've been taking ground nonstop and have kiev encircled. too bad biden and the state department will never be held accountable for leaving ukraine in the wind

Ya trump would have done soooo much more