Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I don't know why that makes me a virgin, but wow that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Count Thrashula posted:

I don't know why that makes me a virgin, but wow that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Unicorns are traditionally attracted to / only willing to approach virgins!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Soviet Experiment is very good but beware it’s written as a textbook.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

Unicorns are traditionally attracted to / only willing to approach virgins!

That makes more sense!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hello, I'm looking for an overview of the French revolution. I don't care about readability, I just want the best

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Smoking Crow posted:

Hello, I'm looking for an overview of the French revolution. I don't care about readability, I just want the best

Furet's Revolutionary France

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
While I'm on a Russia kick, best book(s) about them in the Napoleonic wars?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

A New World Begins is a couple years old and absolutely terrific.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0465096662/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1645572527&sr=8-1

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

While I'm on a Russia kick, best book(s) about them in the Napoleonic wars?

Russia Against Napoleon by Dominic Lieven

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Russia Against Napoleon by Dominic Lieven

Good read.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Sweet, and it's on Kindle! Thanks

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Smoking Crow posted:

I'd say the choice is between A New World Begins or Peter McPhee's Liberty or Death. Popkin does a better job covering Haiti, McPhee wants to show you his Jacobin trading card set.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

I'd say the choice is between A New World Begins or Peter McPhee's Liberty or Death. Popkin does a better job covering Haiti, McPhee wants to show you his Jacobin trading card set.

McPhee’s book is too short and doesn’t cover everything it should.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there a good broad overview of the dissolution of the Soviet Union, preferably on Audible since I have a bunch of unused credits?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't read it myself, but Kotkin's Armageddon Averted?

It might be slightly outdated, however.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

I haven't read it myself, but Kotkin's Armageddon Averted?

It might be slightly outdated, however.

It’s fine but yeah, I believe the latest edition of it is a new forward in 2002.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I was joking about the title. He should have called it Armageddon Postponed.

I feel the collapse of the Soviet Union and his KGB-inherited worldview still plays a major role in Putin's current revanchism.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I can't vouch for it but Collapse by Vladislav Zubok is on Audible fwiw

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a good broad overview of the dissolution of the Soviet Union, preferably on Audible since I have a bunch of unused credits?

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More: The Last Soviet Generation by Alexei Yurchak is a look at the development of general Soviet culture and society from the 1970s until the collapse.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lawman 0 posted:

Picked up "The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company" and I'm pretty stoked to read it and get incredibly mad.
https://www.amazon.com/Anarchy-Relentless-Rise-India-Company/dp/1408864371

I’ve had an honest to god argument with the author about this book.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I’ve had an honest to god argument with the author about this book.

What about? Cant just drop this and leave lol

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What about? Cant just drop this and leave lol

Basically ignoring the fact that most of India was ruled by invading dynasties and the East India Company was just another in a long line.
Also the fact that a lot of modern historians tend to long back on pre European colonial society with kids gloves, not seeing any of their faults.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Basically ignoring the fact that most of India was ruled by invading dynasties and the East India Company was just another in a long line.
Also the fact that a lot of modern historians tend to long back on pre European colonial society with kids gloves, not seeing any of their faults.

Well, I mean obviously it’s objectively a fact that control of the Indian subcontinent shifted between many different local kingdoms, empires, and external invaders warring and exploiting eachother for hundreds of years before the British showed up, it is after all a giant rear end chunk of the world. But in my opinion it’s definitely in the realm of Empire Apologetic attitude to then just say the British didn’t do anything in India that hadn’t been done before by others. Sure that’s technically true in spirit but I think it would be very remiss to not acknowledge both the scale of and uniquely exploitative way the British did it. And the fact that there is some fundamental difference I can’t really articulate about local wars causing death and destruction versus a large world power coming from far away to do it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A large world power from far away like the Mughals?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Dalrymple talks about that more in Koh-I-Noor, if I recall correctly. I haven't cracked open The Anarchy yet, so I don't know if he just hand-waves it or what in there, but I can understand not including it if he felt like he talked about it enough in a previous book.
That said, if it's like "the English invaded the COMPLETELY HAPPY AND CONTENT nation, where EVERYONE LOVED TO JOIN HANDS AND SING SONGS TOGETHER" then that's pretty egregious.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Does anyone know if "American Caesar" is still considered the definitive work on MacArthur, or has scholarship/historiography sort of passed it by?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Strange Cares posted:

Dalrymple talks about that more in Koh-I-Noor, if I recall correctly. I haven't cracked open The Anarchy yet, so I don't know if he just hand-waves it or what in there, but I can understand not including it if he felt like he talked about it enough in a previous book.
That said, if it's like "the English invaded the COMPLETELY HAPPY AND CONTENT nation, where EVERYONE LOVED TO JOIN HANDS AND SING SONGS TOGETHER" then that's pretty egregious.

It’s been a few years since I read the Anarchy but one arguments that Dalrymple makes is while the Mughal Empire was basically continual civil war after

Aurangzeb is was a time of great artistic achievement so it doesn’t really matter.

I at least believe it’s a legitimate issue in post-colonial history that we are washing away the pre-colonial states.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

It’s been a few years since I read the Anarchy but one arguments that Dalrymple makes is while the Mughal Empire was basically continual civil war after

Aurangzeb is was a time of great artistic achievement so it doesn’t really matter.

I at least believe it’s a legitimate issue in post-colonial history that we are washing away the pre-colonial states.

The "it was a time of great artistic achievement so it doesn’t really matter" line of thinking isn't purely a post-colonial thing.

Orson Welles posted:

You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's a good single volume on the first Gulf War?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Crusade by Rick Atkinson. There are shockingly very few books on the war that aren’t on specific in-depth MilHist stuff.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Are you seeking fights or politics?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
any good books on the russo japanese war?

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

They're good rather than great, but I enjoyed Connaughton's Rising Sun And Tumbling Bear for the land campaign and the war overall, and Pleshakov's The Tsar's Last Armada for the epic doomed voyage of the Baltic Fleet to its end at Tsushima. Connaughton is the broader and more serious book, but Pleshakov is much more fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Biffmotron posted:

They're good rather than great, but I enjoyed Connaughton's Rising Sun And Tumbling Bear for the land campaign and the war overall, and Pleshakov's The Tsar's Last Armada for the epic doomed voyage of the Baltic Fleet to its end at Tsushima. Connaughton is the broader and more serious book, but Pleshakov is much more fun.

thanks. also any good books on the implosion of the soviet union and 90s/rise of putin. i read The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin at the recommendation of my cousin and thought it was very good but very meandering but it gave me a pretty good idea that this whole horror show was a long time coming.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the History podcast thread:

Violet_Sky posted:

I did like Dan Carlin's WWI series, specifically the parts where he talks about how people felt about the war leading up to and during the whole thing. Are there any history books/podcasts that focus on people's thoughts and feelings during that time and not just the battles? Something like This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War. (Not WW1 I know.)

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

What are some good books / articles / podcasts on the history of the various Italian city-states prior to the formation of the Kingdom of Italy?

Initially, I'm particularly interested in how they were able to maintain themselves as independent city states in an era where larger kingdoms where the norm; and how the condottierre system worked / came to be

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Violet_Sky posted:

Crossposting from the History podcast thread:

It doesn't get all the way into wartime, but Peace and War by Nigel Jones is a pretty good overview of the state of British society immediately before World War 1

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thanks. also any good books on the implosion of the soviet union and 90s/rise of putin. i read The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin at the recommendation of my cousin and thought it was very good but very meandering but it gave me a pretty good idea that this whole horror show was a long time coming.

I too would be interested in anything on post USSR Russia and the rise of Putin. Realized that I know basically nothing about it, what I remember learning at school basically ended with "and then the USSR fell and Russia became a democracy and everything was good forever." I'll check out The Man Without a Face but if there's any other good books on it I'd love a few suggestions.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Blowing Up Russia is the book Litvinenko got murdered for. It's a bit scattershot, but gives you an impression of the poo poo Putin was up to right from the start.

Snyder's The Road to Unfreedom is very recent, and goes into the authoritarian ideology Putin subscribes to, and has tried to build up in recent years.

Those are the only books on the subject I've read myself, I'd also be grateful for further recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mikhail Zygar, All the Kremlin's Men, is a good journalistic look at how Kremlin elites make decisions from the time Putin took power until it was published around 2015-ish.