Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

everyone is wearing the burger king helm right

i like to say things when I beat a boss like "have it my way bitch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

You're pretty much just intended to use Spirit Ashes if you want to use the longer, more elaborate spells, as far as I can tell. The cost for using summons is already reduced if you're a caster (you should be building more max FP as a caster to begin with & it frees you up to allocate more flasks to FP), and they do a good job of distracting bosses so you can, well, take advantage of the fact you're ranged. That's why you don't get poise, and why the FP costs are so high and force you into allocating more FP flasks - that's the price you're paying for being allowed to sit back and do your thing, and your goal is thus to let your meat shields take aggro any time the heat gets on you so you can find another casting chance. It's not entirely risk free, either, as bosses have numerous ways to dash or ranged attack you specifically to still keep things interesting for this style of play.

They recognized you can't really be a big cool windup caster mage versus the boss and mosh pit room designs they have in the game, and so they gave you a free (outside of the FP cost) way of summoning meat shields so you can do your caster thing. And if you don't want to do that, or you're in a area where you can't? That's what the cheaper, faster, more economical spells and arts are for - with the later getting away with it since you have to, well again, be in melee range for them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

actionjackson posted:

everyone is wearing the burger king helm right

i like to say things when I beat a boss like "have it my way bitch"

Is it just a random drop? In the network test it dropped from a miniboss but not in the full version.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
funny that Margit has 42% completion by players, and (early boss name)Misbegotten has only 23% completed when imo the latter was considerably easier, though getting there was a bit dicier.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

funny that Margit has 42% completion by players, and (early boss name)Misbegotten has only 23% completed when imo the latter was considerably easier, though getting there was a bit dicier.

It's because no one goes south

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Should I be doing Siofra River at like level 18? Seems pretty difficult.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kaddish posted:

You don't really need to kill many enemies. The boss is doable at that level.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kaddish posted:

The game is very likely beatable at level one while taking no hits and using a shield for damage.

But realistically no I’d probably come back later because the magic archers will absolutely wreck your poo poo.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Orv posted:

The game is very likely beatable at level one while taking no hits and using a shield for damage.

But realistically no I’d probably come back later because the magic archers will absolutely wreck your poo poo.

Yes, I just teleported to a different location there and got my poo poo pushed in by what seems like magic artillery.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
There’s gonna be some weird glitch speedrunners use and I 100% expect it to be related to those launch pads that send your horse to space.

I’m excited to see what this game has in store for the speed running community.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Orv posted:

My default recommendation would be to fully reinstall EAC, including wiping it at out at the registry level if you feel comfortable with that. EAC has a history of just jacking itself up from one day to the next because of some game doing a bad patch or something and a full reinstall usually covers it. Extremely annoying bullshit.

Thanks, this program is a real slippery piece of poo poo lol. Whatever instance that ships with Eden Ring doesn't even provide an uninstaller, I had to navigate to the version in my Fortnite folder and uninstall the ER one from there. Going to try Steam file verification too and hope that does the trick, if not I guess I'll try to redownload and reinstall everything. Really weird stuff, there wasn't a system or driver update or anything overnight that I would think caused any interference.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just realised you can find out exactly where a map is for an area

on the map screen there will be a little monument icon where the map fragment will be.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Frankston posted:

on the map screen there will be a little monument icon where the map fragment will be.

This is the only thing I’ve been doing for the last six or so hours of leveling up for Margit

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RatHat posted:

Is it just a random drop? In the network test it dropped from a miniboss but not in the full version.

i think I picked it up around the schoolhouse grace point

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

They also felt like diametrically opposed bosses. Margit required playing sort of defensively because he has boatloads of HP. The other one I just had to go ham on him because he's super aggressive and playing defense would get me killed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GrossMurpel posted:

It's because no one goes south

Yeah, if there's one thing I would tell new people about this game is that the furthest north they should go is the Gatefront grace until they clear the entirety of the Weeping Peninsula to the south. I kind of wish the initial game starting point was down there to get that into your head instead of everyone just going straight to Margit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing I would tell new people about this game is that the furthest north they should go is the Gatefront grace until they clear the entirety of the Weeping Peninsula to the south. I kind of wish the initial game starting point was down there to get that into your head instead of everyone just going straight to Margit.

They should put in a quest log too!!!

/s

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm extremely impressed with the completion percentages on the early bosses in general. Figured a lot of people would be picking this up due to hype and then getting turned off, but considering there's well over a million players on Steam that's pretty wild.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

This game is a masterpiece. From firing 11/10 on all cylinders. I was enjoying the game plenty, but was concerned there wasn't going to be enough new types of content / areas compared to the last few Souls games. Then I saw Siofra River and Caelid. Not only are they spectacular visually, the ambient music in those places is perfection.

The horse controls and combat is perfect too, so fluid and natural. Most games it feels like you're getting into a 70s station wagon in terms of controls when you get on a horse. Torrent feels like a faster extension of the player, if you could do attacks (and charge them) while sprinting, basically. Simple, straightforward and perfect. The Skyrim horse has been dethroned as the GOAT.

The controls are perfect, and I'm not experiencing any of that input lag that you some of you guys are, what controllers are you using? I'm using a dual shock 4 natively with steam.

I think this game may dethrone Ocarina of Time as my all-time favorite single player experience and I feel like I've seen less than 10% of it. What an achievement.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frankston posted:

Dont worry, some later zones this is borderline useless because the zone only has one actual road through it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Big Bizness posted:

\The controls are perfect, and I'm not experiencing any of that input lag that you some of you guys are, what controllers are you using? I'm using a dual shock 4 natively with steam.

Huh, some people are having input lag on PC? I'm playing on a computer that's well below the recommended specs, and except for some pop in on the open world and that weird hanging issue that pops up once in a while, it runs great. Using a Switch controller, no input lag at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Big Bizness posted:

I think this game may dethrone Ocarina of Time as my all-time favorite single player experience and I feel like I've seen less than 10% of it. What an achievement.

I was telling my buddy that this game gives the feeling of the first time you enter Hyrule Field in OOT times a thousand.

I was overleveled for Margit and one-shot him. Even at half my level I think it wouldn't have been that bad of a fight - I only got hit twice. The combos aren't super hard to read I loved the flow of the fight there were openings enough for jump R2s to stagger him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Loving that theres some bug in my game so I have a fake imp key in my inventory. Glad I took that as my starting gift!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

Loving that theres some bug in my game so I have a fake imp key in my inventory. Glad I took that as my starting gift!

Are you trying to use one imp key on a statue that requires two? Some statues require two.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I used the bleed sword to kill the elder dragon greyoll and the 75,000 runes was very nice, but...he didn't respawn, which was sad.

sorry, old man.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Orv posted:

There is no meaningful input delay, it’s the same thing From releases always get, somebody over rolling or animation locking themselves two feet from the boss and getting pasted.

No there is legitimately a difference between what happens given the same inputs in DS Remaster, DS3, and Elden Ring. At least for some people. It's sounding like this is hardware/input device specific and doesn't effect you. DS2 SOTFS had a similar input different with attacks on PC due to some change in attack input processing. Pretty sure it still has that quirk and that you have to rebind the double inputs for attacks to single inputs every time the game launches. This is something From has done before. But the people who are saying they have a weird dodge delay aren't just making it up because they panic rolled a few times.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I have had absolutely no issues rolling and I'm flummoxed by the posts about having issues with it. It feels like it works better than ever.

The music in Caelid is perfect and makes it feels like I'm in a horror game.

It works fine once you figure out the difference from other games, but it's unmistakably a different input cutoff than the other From games. Although it also could just be that some people wouldn't notice the difference because they never dodged by hitting direction input and dodge at exactly the same time to dodge from a standstill.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Can someone please explain the summoning pool and the martyr effigies to me? I interact with them whenever I enter a new area, and everything I'm reading online says they allow you to access a list of people to select for co-op, but I can't figure out how to interact with them at all after the first time. I tried doing it after using a finger remedy, but still, no dice.

So far I've been stuck just trying to summon players the old way using signs they've put on the ground. Is there an item I've missed or something?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I ventured into the Lakeside crystal cave, aaaaallll the way to the bottom and the Bloodhound knight did short work of me, since all my resources were low already. If there was a grace near the boss room, I missed it. No other way than to go all the way down again if I want to fight him again?

e: Luckily I got the help of JIM and Bananaheli and we made it through

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 27, 2022

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

About half the time when I log in I fail to connect to online features. I assume this is just launch nonsense and will get better, or is there likely a problem on my end?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My favourite boss so far has been Night Cavalry. Amazing horseback bossfight, need to go try Tree Sentinel now. Got myself a big swordspear that's perfect on horseback, now working my way up to his sweet flail.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

lol I was shocked that dude had an achievement. I've just been circling around going everywhere but where the story wants me, and stumbled into him last night. Went in and got him first try, just died to my hoarfrost-stomps before I even knew his moveset. Summoned myself a few times to help others so I could see what his deal was, I bet he was very scary early on!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mainwaring posted:

About half the time when I log in I fail to connect to online features. I assume this is just launch nonsense and will get better, or is there likely a problem on my end?

Xbox?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

actionjackson posted:

is godrick's great rune bugged? I don't think my stats changed at all

So great runes are essentially this game’s ember. They (assuming the rest of the big bosses give you one), once powered, give you a big buff. But to get the buff, you need to use a Rune Arc. For Godrick’s it’s +5 to every stat (35 points total!) which is pretty crazy. Rune Arcs last until you die and you get rune arcs for helping coop beat bosses, same way you used to gain humanity/ember in other games.

They just detached the MP component and moved that to remedies/fingers.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Can someone please explain the summoning pool and the martyr effigies to me? I interact with them whenever I enter a new area, and everything I'm reading online says they allow you to access a list of people to select for co-op, but I can't figure out how to interact with them at all after the first time. I tried doing it after using a finger remedy, but still, no dice.

So far I've been stuck just trying to summon players the old way using signs they've put on the ground. Is there an item I've missed or something?

I believe that someone who uses their Small Golden Effigy has their summon sign placed at one or more summoning pools they have activated, though I'm not 100% sure on that. All I know for sure is that I use my Small Golden Effigy and end up getting summoned for co-op at some random summoning pool I have previously activated. I think the summoning pool/effigy system is just a way to spread out potential co-op partners instead of making them have to put their sign manually down in front of a boss and wait there (although that's still an option).

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Char posted:

Ok, I wasn't appreciating the Astrologer start, after getting the Astrologer Favorite Weapon Meteorite Staff & Rock spell I am death incarnate and killed everyone and everything on the first zone.
To put my playthrough into context: I'm level 31, 15 hours in, and I just got the Jellyfish bro. I don't know who Magrit and Godrick are.

Now I've discovered I can bypass Stormveil to go further north and I've gotten even more spells?
And, north, looming on the horizon, is the goddamn MAGIC ACADEMY???
HYPE

Hell yeah! I just found them last night, too. Beating the hound evergaol went from incredibly difficult and frustrating to an absolute breeze. I feel very good about magic at this point... and if that spell really does do physical damage, it might make us viable against magic immune enemies, too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

I believe that someone who uses their Small Golden Effigy has their summon sign placed at one or more summoning pools they have activated, though I'm not 100% sure on that. All I know for sure is that I use my Small Golden Effigy and end up getting summoned for co-op at some random summoning pool I have previously activated. I think the summoning pool/effigy system is just a way to spread out potential co-op partners instead of making them have to put their sign manually down in front of a boss and wait there (although that's still an option).

See, that's what I thought it was, and someone in the official discord said the same. Every article online references a "list", though. They must be all copy-pasting each other.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

Pretty sure it still has that quirk and that you have to rebind the double inputs for attacks to single inputs every time the game launches.

it was this, yeah. they hosed up something with the input registry so that the option that enabled the game to read double clicks as separate inputs was turned on every time the game started

even in spite of that, i still sincerely appreciate the fact that from put genuine effort into DS2 to provide more options for KB+M players. it still beggars belief that i have to rely on AHK to toggle sprint in elden ring instead of it just being a basic keybind

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So steam shows a million players? And then you have consoles? This feels like one of the biggest games in a long rear end time!!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Anyone else stunble on the night only boss in the Storm whatever first area that is a vulture? The gently caress was that?!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

goferchan posted:

Thanks, this program is a real slippery piece of poo poo lol. Whatever instance that ships with Eden Ring doesn't even provide an uninstaller, I had to navigate to the version in my Fortnite folder and uninstall the ER one from there. Going to try Steam file verification too and hope that does the trick, if not I guess I'll try to redownload and reinstall everything. Really weird stuff, there wasn't a system or driver update or anything overnight that I would think caused any interference.

I gave up and just went to a console . I can’t deal with all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Iron Pineapple just released 25 tips and tricks for mechanics.

Horse Iframes are a thing. You cannot be damaged when mounting or dismounting your horse. This changes everything.