Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What the maps show is that the russians aren't able to stop any Ukrainian troops from continuing to fight them. Frankly, it's suggesting that when meeting Ukrainian forces in combat the Russian army is loosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

It can also mean that the Russians are overextending themselves. Pushing deep along just a few, narrow axes also means that they will be exposing themselves over wide, thin areas. From the first couple days' fighting, it didn't appear that they had been very successful in exploiting those breakouts or in tying down Ukrainian units to allow follow-on elements to keep streaming through. Opinion: this looks more like a move of desperation than anything.

I can't find the article right now, but someone from Ukraine's MoD said they're actively ambushing Russian resupply convoys to cut them off.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bees everywhere posted:

Even if there was one, I doubt anyone got to use it. My 1st deployment we lost a whole crew of an M1114 when they went off the road into a small creek, and their gun hatch was wide open.

They lost a tank to that in the early days of iraq iirc. Apparently the rumor mill surrounding it was nuts, including it getting jacked by republican guard lol

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

https://twitter.com/deesnider/status/1497992398491701248

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/27/world/russia-ukraine-war/after-suspending-ukraine-deliveries-ups-and-fedex-halt-business-in-russia

Looks like the major center of Warhammer bootlegs besides China is no longer open.

For those that don’t know Dhaka Dhaka store and a bunch of the other Russian-based warhammer retailers just sell bootlegs 3-D printed. They’re actually not bad and I was thinking of getting one or two as a proxy, but I just didn’t have a feeling that shipping would be undisturbed, if you will, in the next month or so.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

They lost a tank to that in the early days of iraq iirc. Apparently the rumor mill surrounding it was nuts, including it getting jacked by republican guard lol

Yeah, in this case people told me the driver fell asleep during a long operation :( We all stopped wearing seatbelts and gunner harnesses afterward, which in retrospect was REALLY stupid because our TTPs in my AO were to drive as fast as possible at all times taking unusual routes to avoid VBIEDs.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498018857318944771

I can't find verification of this elsewhere yet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dee snider not being a chud is surprising to me for some reason

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Because most of the Rock stars from that generation turned into broke brained loving chuds like Nugent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Alan Smithee posted:

His congressional testimony is seriously pro-click. They were expecting him to be easy picking for the evening news reel and he shoved it right up their asses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QqplPfYTE8

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 27, 2022

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Alan Smithee posted:

He testified in front of Congress against tipper stickers. He's cool.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Holy gently caress, if true.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I am as happy as anyone else to see images of destroyed Russian equipment, but if these maps are accurate Ukraine is in a terrible spot just a few days into the invasion.
There's never been any doubt that Putin's military would make significant apparent headway in a short period of time. What's notable, though, is that they have not only made significantly less progress than anticipated, but are also receiving extraordinary losses while doing so, suggesting wild incompetence and hubris on the part of their leadership. It's increasingly clear that, should the Ukrainian people choose insurgency, particularly supported by the West, there's no viable path for Putin to achieve his aim of subjugating the country, even should he capture Kyiv and murder Zelensky. It's possible that the average Ukrainian on the ground is less sanguine about resistance than the videos that we're seeing, but it remains to be seen.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL T-64s

That’s so ghetto.

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1498021662935113734?s=21

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That first reply

https://twitter.com/Ruslan_Palchuk/status/1498018941469347850?s=20&t=XUhEl_4MhUi3uFNt8xghbA

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CBJSprague24 posted:

Holy gently caress, if true.

No, see, it's a *tactic*! Now they need to divert forces to guard the POWs! Brilliant! A genius move!

:jerkbag:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Full (auto, not very good) translation, for those interested:

Operational information as of 18:00 on February 27 regarding the Russian invasion
#stoprussia
The Russian Federation continues to accumulate aviation equipment and intensify special forces on the territory of the Republic of Belarus. More than 50 planes, 10 helicopters and 2 An-124 planes are concentrated at Machulishi airfield. Transport planes are constantly taking off from Baranovichi and Machulishche airfields in the direction of Ukraine.
The Belarusian command has brought some of its units into combat readiness.
Conducting an offensive operation in Ukraine, the Russian occupiers use methods of combat prohibited by international humanitarian law: seize social infrastructure, wear the uniform of the Ukrainian military, police and SES, sabotage special forces use ambulances and police cars stolen from doctors. ambulance stations; terrorists occupy children's camps and schools, enemy artillery and MLRS are deployed on sports grounds. Three ambulances with conditional markings of invaders were recently spotted in Kyiv. In the Genichesk district of the Kherson region, the Russian occupiers deployed MSTA-C artillery units in residential buildings. A column is moving in the direction of Makariv - Kyiv, and the enemy has placed children and women on the armored vehicles to cover them.
However, the moral and psychological condition of the occupying forces is low. Near Koryukivka in the Chernihiv region, conscripts of the Russian Armed Forces are ready to lay down their arms and surrender.
Hundreds of disabled armored vehicles and tanks have been abandoned all over Ukraine.
As of 18:00, the loss of enemy personnel amounted to about 4,500 people. Destroyed and damaged aircraft - 27 units (to be specified), helicopters - 26 units, tanks - about 150, BBM - more than 700 units, guns - about 50, one SAM BUK, Four MLRS BM-21 Grad, 60 tanks, 2 UAVs quickly -tactical level, ships, boats - 2 units.
There will be more. The calculation is complicated by the high intensity of hostilities.

e: Ran it through google translate, which is much better.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 27, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Gotta admit, with Putin talking nukes — again — Bored’s prepper posts are looking a little more relevant. Even if the sunshine doesn’t land within 1000 miles, if it happens ANYWHERE, even once, the world is gonna be crazy for a while. Kinda scary escalation because the angry old embarrassed man might just do it.

I hope to God I'm wrong.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498009972512280576?t=FF0rWlyIIdS1yfPs2s0Htg&s=19

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1498024649338273792?t=b_gbRyo3aCeLGhkJvZk_bQ&s=19

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I really wish we would do more to grind the russians into dust, they need more help then just providing arms and supplies.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Jesus Christ

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
That Russian MLRS?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I would say the surrender if true is absolutely hilarious and lol worthy but after the destruction of the Chech convoy anything is possible.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Yes, bm-21 or bm-30.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Edit: Ive probably just played too much MW5.

Sentinel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 27, 2022

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/27/world/russia-ukraine-war/after-suspending-ukraine-deliveries-ups-and-fedex-halt-business-in-russia

Looks like the major center of Warhammer bootlegs besides China is no longer open.

For those that don’t know Dhaka Dhaka store and a bunch of the other Russian-based warhammer retailers just sell bootlegs 3-D printed. They’re actually not bad and I was thinking of getting one or two as a proxy, but I just didn’t have a feeling that shipping would be undisturbed, if you will, in the next month or so.

I think warhansa was too for battletech minis?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's incredible that it seems like the most of the rest of the world will just increase sanctions ever more until Putin gives up his invasion, when like two days ago we were unsure weather the EU would even be able to do the bare minimum sanctions that could be considered face saving.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What is the wide world of loving Zhukov is going on?

That is some World War II era Soviet artillery strategy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dee Snider continuing to do rad things, from making congress look like a bunch of Mooks to this. Bravo.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Goddamn, nothing I've ever seen could compare to what it must be like to be in Kyiv or on the receiving end of that right now. If anything this is proof that Putin needs someone to shove a red hot poker up his rear end, the sooner the better

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Compare them to the french foreign legion. Choosing to volunteer and fight in the armed forces and under the official flag of another nation, has different legal historical baggage than mercenaries. Not miles apart maybe, but distinct categories.

Anyway, what someones government (or another gov who might take offence) will actually do to them in response isn't very standardised or consistent through history. Maybe they'd get branded as a deserter, maybe they get treated as a terrorist, or maybe they get taxed on their income :shrug:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 27, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

This video telling Russian troops to surrender is metal as hell but I'm spoilering it because everything after "glory to Ukraine" includes footage of charred Russian corpses:

https://twitter.com/Ukraine360/status/1498013091145166858

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So how hard are DIA (Or whoever would handle opfor tech analysis) and all the stuff being abandoned by Russia… and with the gracious permission of our allies going to be shipped to United States? Like I mean seriously this must be a Goldmine just in terms of actual battle data or US top of the line and NATO top of the line antitank weapons against Russian tanks.

I was thinking the same thing. Weapons analysts and military analysts from DIA and CIA must be pretty excited to get poo poo shipped over here once this war is over.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

LOL T-64s

That’s so ghetto.

T-64s are actually pretty good tanks, equal or better than T-72s. They were exclusively used by elite tank units up until the USSR fell and were never exported until afterwards.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't really follow Japanese politics either but there's got to be quite a difference between trying to remove Article 9 and explicitly saying "yeah, let's let the US base nukes in Japan."

It's notable but it is Abe, who has always been very militaristic. And the US used to base nukes in Okinawa though IIRC it was a neither confirm nor deny wink wink situation. For obvious reasons the Japanese public is not big on the idea of having nuclear weapons. Though of course Japan has solid fuel space launch rockets that conveniently happen to work exactly like ICBMs and enough nuclear material and expertise to build warheads any time they want to.

This may be because there are a bunch of videos going around of Chinese students in Ukraine mocking the Ukrainians and supporting Russia, which has gotten into the Ukrainian press and people are loving pissed. Trying to head off attacks on Chinese people because of dipshit college kids.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498024824991625216?t=uI7yBVlBZx7DpJv6zbhVPg&s=19

telegram from Ukraine Rada posted:

❗️Evening statement from Mayor of Kyiv Vitalii Klychko❗️

Friends! Dear Kyiv residents!
This night will be very difficult, again. Therefore, our army is getting prepared to defend the capital.

I am asking Kyiv residents to stay in the shelters tonight. Our enemy is getting angry, shelling civilian houses, and destroying our infrastructure. However, our enemy has many losses, both vehicles and personnel. Russians did not expect such a response and high morals from the Ukrainian people, both civil and military.

Our army fights heroically all over Ukraine. Our people stand together defending the country.

Russians are trying to get into Kyiv. Yet people here are ready to repel aggressors. Today I visited fortifications constructed by Kyiv residents together with Territorial defense battalions - they will not let our enemy inside the city.

I support our army and am thankful to people who live in Irpin, Vorzel, Bucha, and Hostomel. Our army fights fiercely there to prevent the enemy from getting into Kyiv.

I also want to emphasize that Russia continues its war against Ukraine not just with its army but also through misinformation. New fake social media accounts are created under the names of Ukrainian officials to manipulate the information and spread falsehoods. Today, someone created an Instagram account pretending to be me. Tonight, the Russian internet was spreading a false statement citing myself, claiming that Kyiv is encircled and that the evacuation of civilians is not possible. Please don’t believe in such falsehood! Trust Information from the official sources only!

Let’s stay together! Together we will win!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Dictionarycom/status/1498033493561032710

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498029493033881601

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Seeing reports that the mayor of Kharkiv surrendered under threat of bombardment because the Ukrainians had abandoned them. Also seems like bullshit, given that they've already been getting bombarded for days and most recently destroyed several Russian units in the middle of town.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I figured this would make a certain someone here a little giddy.

https://twitter.com/iguardans/status/1497982822736437254?t=AOao4f0Z5s2preUa_Mw1Qg&s=19

I showed this to my Greek Orthodox wife and she literally lost her poo poo. "I KNEW HE WOULD loving DO THAT!"

Defenestrategy posted:

Didn't some other Slavic Orthodox church come out and say Russia invasion is bad? WHO GETS THE +2 PIETY BUFF?!

The Greek patriarch did. Not sure about any others. Technically he is the head honcho of sorts. However, he also let the Ukrainians break away from the Russian church after 2014 and the Russians are super mad about it, so they probably don't care what he thinks.