Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Looking back but it seems like maybe Russia trying to hold onto its sphere of influence in the aftermath of the cold war was a huge mistake. If they hadn't attempted to take Crimea and instead negotiated with the more liberal government in good faith (afterall the Sevastopol naval base wasn't under any kind of immediate threat of being repatriated back to Ukraine); they could've made partnerships with Ukraine to improve their military modernization with access to skilled Ukrainian firms.

If they had instead focused on improving their quality of life, fighting corruption, and improving their economy; and treated the FSU states with respect; they wouldn't be in this position and could've been improving and developing peacefully.

I mean, if Russia wasn't anti democratic/pro corruption, things would be completely different and there's no chance Putin would even be in power given the constitutional term limits. But they can't reduce corruption for their neighbors while keeping their own oligopoly happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
boris is done

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1498054698468659200

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/andersostlund/status/1498028744807694338?t=XfZWH4jbm0zZh9AXfQS0bg&s=19

I don't know the guy but he raises a good point. Has Russia not discovered the concept of driving at a slight distance?

In the age of drone warfare this seems an incredibly stupid idea. Has NATO supplied any?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

No, they think in RTS terms. If they can get one tank to Kiev city hall and hold for a 3 min. Then they win. They are gonna get droned and ambushed and then get hosed up in In the cities.

Jesus this indeed seems to be the philosophy here.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

Dancing in those shoes prepared Zelensky for the trials of war

https://twitter.com/swordsjew/status/1498050747950415876?t=j5g3moH6LSL16rdl4J-tjw&s=19

Full video. It feels like a fever dream.

https://youtu.be/kgOSrw9Q8rc

This is amazing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/andersostlund/status/1498028744807694338?t=XfZWH4jbm0zZh9AXfQS0bg&s=19

I don't know the guy but he raises a good point. Has Russia not discovered the concept of driving at a slight distance?

russians exporting moscow traffic to kiev countryside

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Timeless Appeal posted:

If we're being honest, it's also kinda of a gross mockery of sex workers and people who are at times legitimately artists even if they're art is raunchy.

Sanctions and cyber attacks are all necessary if we're going to avoid actual war, but I think gawking and mocking everyday Russians just trying to live their loving lives is cruel. Their suffering might be preferable to the alternative right now, but it should not exist at all in a just society. It's the compromise we make to avoid actual war. I'm sure there are a bunch of people with more mundane jobs the tweet could respond to, but mocking predominantly women and sex workers adds another level of kicking down.

Yeah. I just feel bad for Russians right now outside the putinists and their foreign and domestic lickspittles. These people got hosed because their leader said “gently caress it, it’s a time for imperialism”. It’s genuinely sad.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Wow.

ik edit: :nms:-ish towards end
https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1498023164936400903?s=20&t=1Wxc1DyMtrNaiIehon98bA

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 27, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Don’t know poo poo about stonks. Can they do that? What’s a possible outcome here?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the extra dumb thing about this is that zelensky has been impressively navigating an absolute nightmare of a political situation for a long time now, certainly far before this all popped off. Even if you didn't think he was great, he was doing solidly well with a totally hosed up situation.

Zelensky since the invasion though has definitely been about as effective and inspiring as any leader could actually hope to be when getting invaded by a nuclear-armed super power

It seems like forever ago that this was the same guy that Trump was trying to get to dig up information on Joe and Hunter Biden, leading to Trump's first impeachment.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

:stare:

This was in the back of my mind the crazy Putin totally lost it outcome of the invasion of Ukraine that I refused to even hint at because I didn't want to get in trouble for touching the clancychat poop. But goddamn, seeing it in print is blood-chilling. I know far-right Russians like Dugin suggested Russia do this, but never thought they actually would.

I don't get why people hyperventilate reading this. This is not chilling, nor is it new. Nor is it proof that Putin lost his mind. This is exactly what Putin and the Russians have been saying since the Bucharest declaration of 2008. That it will go to any lengths, pay any price, to ensure that Ukraine remains outside the Western orbit. The messaging has been consistent ever since the mid-2000s. A crazy person doesn't repeatedly broadcast the same position on how he views Ukraine to anyone that will listen for 15 years and then finally acts on it. If you think this is new, or chilling, or somehow a sign that Putin has lost his marbles, you simply haven't been paying attention to international politics.

Read some articles on these issues and what Putin's responses have been......before this current mess. Actually well before this current mess.

https://www.dw.com/en/russia-talks-tough-in-response-to-natos-eastward-expansion/a-3261078

""We will do all we can to prevent Ukraine's and Georgia's accession into NATO and to avoid an inevitable serious exacerbation of our relations with both the alliance and our neighbors," Lavrov told reporters." 2008

https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/03/opinion/stent-putin-ukraine-russia-endgame/index.html

At the 2008 NATO summit in Bucharest, Romania, Vladimir Putin told a surprised George W. Bush, “You have to understand, George, that Ukraine is not even a country. Part of its territory is in Eastern Europe and the greater part was given to us.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/24/opinion/russia-ukraine-putin-biden.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hMXcqAi3oH4J:en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/24903+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

"We view the appearance of a powerful military bloc on our borders, a bloc whose members are subject in part to Article 5 of the Washington Treaty, as a direct threat to the security of our country. The claim that this process is not directed against Russia will not suffice. National security is not based on promises. And the statements made prior to the bloc's previous waves of expansion simply confirm this"

The man has been consistent since 2008 and beyond.

Here is a really good article from the Canadian Forces Journal on the history leading up to this war written in 2nd half 2021. This should dispel any notion of Putin being insane or some deranged megalomanic. He fundamentally views the world and the events of the past 20 years in a different manner than you.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/cmj-article-en-page35.html

"At the end of the day, whether to compromise with Moscow and let Russia have her own small sphere of influence in parts of Europe where there are already Russian established bases and interests, or to push Moscow out and risk a localized proxy war of attrition, is a policy question beyond the scope of this article."

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Dante posted:

Well this is the least coherent take in this thread, and that's quite impressive!

I try, but the last 4-5 days have been completely baffling to me to the point I believe logic has well and truly been thrown out the window so I'm completely brain-fried and incoherence is all I have left.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

No, they think in RTS terms. If they can get one tank to Kiev city hall and hold for a 3 min. Then they win. They are gonna get droned and ambushed and then get hosed up in In the cities.

They've basically tried doing this like they imagine "CIA" does colour revolutions:

1. Build a pretext (Zelenskyi is a Nazi hunting Russians)
2. Get people to rise up (people protest and yearn for liberation)
3. Use force to lock down hardline backers (police, etcetera)
4. Install friendly government

If you think about all the moronic VDV drops or a 15 car Spetsnaz incursions into a city of 1.5 million in these categories, they're simply trying to do (3) - find some baddies, raise the flag.

I wonder if it's possible to analyse where would flaws of such an approach lie?

:thunk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I don't think Russian Central Bank will be able to "well actually" American investors about their money.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Going by the sparks shooting up in the duma it’s telling that some politicians are now more scared of being seen as pro war then balconies

I think I asked this before, but how much power does the Duma actually have?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

KitConstantine posted:

Dancing in those shoes prepared Zelensky for the trials of war

https://twitter.com/swordsjew/status/1498050747950415876?t=j5g3moH6LSL16rdl4J-tjw&s=19

Full video. It feels like a fever dream.

https://youtu.be/kgOSrw9Q8rc
It's really bizzare watching this and contrasting it with reality of today. Perhaps one of reasons why Putin underestimated him.

Also, I just found there is new a smilie and I want to use it, because it is lovely :ukraine:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Probably worth pointing out that this sort of language is hardly new for them.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm sure those tightly packed convoys can just react to sudden drone attacks by driving off the road into the mud and/or forest, should be fine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You should :nms: that because there are charred bodies at the end there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

I think I asked this before, but how much power does the Duma actually have?

Nothing, if you're wondering if they can take Putin on as legislators.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

"There is no english tea" lmao. Yorkshire is mobilising as we speak.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

I see the mighty Russian propaganda machine is already at the "flinging poo poo at the walls" stage

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

loving hell, this guy has such an amazing delivery. If someone would ever tell me the way he has, calm and smiling, how I will be murdered in Ukraine, I would poo poo iron and run.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

KillHour posted:

You should :nms: that because there are charred bodies at the end there.

Ah, yes. Sorry about that.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't think Russian Central Bank will be able to "well actually" American investors about their money.

they can, since someone has to actually buy those securities. it will just make it much harder for foreign firms to unwind their russian investments.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

they can, since someone has to actually buy those securities. it will just make it much harder for foreign firms to unwind their russian investments.

They can stop them from manipulating stuff, not from treating it like worthless.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Concerned Citizen posted:

Yep the markets are betting on the various central banks to step in and start printing to fill in the gaps and make up the losses.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

tazjin posted:

This is fake news.

Source: Took out some cash (not more than usual, 10k RUB) earlier in central Moscow at an Альфа-Банк next to a metro station and there was nobody there and no withdrawal restrictions.

Paid attention during the day when walking past other bank offices and didn't see any queues there either, same for ATMs in central metro stations (Дмитровская, Чеховская).

That kind of makes sense, in so far as russia can just print as much rubles as needed/wanted. I'd think a run would be more on trying to acquire currencies other than rubles to avoid loss of value.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Don’t know poo poo about stonks. Can they do that? What’s a possible outcome here?

Stocks that cant be sold are technically worthless, so not sure how this really helps the market confidence tomorrow morning.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Mokotow posted:

loving hell, this guy has such an amazing delivery. If someone would ever tell me the way he has, calm and smiling, how I will be murdered in Ukraine, I would poo poo iron and run.

There was another one like this a day or two ago featuring what looked like a Spetsnaz (at least judging from the fact he was carrying a suppressed AK) that was even more terrifying, don't have it on hand though.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia is going to sanction the US by freezing steven Segal's bank accounts

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This video does a good job explaining why Russia wants to invade Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If61baWF4GE

In Putin's mind the purpose of the invasions are to:

- Keep a series of buffer states to make it more difficult to NATO to invade due to Ukraine and further East essentially being a giant plane

- Ukraine has a bunch of natural gas and some oil that Russia wants and does not want to get in the hands of EU multi-nationals

- Since invading Crimea, Ukraine has cut off fresh water there making the island become much less habitable. Russia will probably invade the territory north of Crimea if this invasion is a success

- Time is ticking. Russia's population keeps declining and thus so does their relative military might. It's "now or never".

It makes sense if you want to keep hold on being a great power, but even then in the long run it's pointless. This is because adding to the fact that Russia's population is declining and it's economy isn't much to strive for, the EU is gradually transferring to clean energy. That oil and natural gas aren't going to be the kingmaker resources as they are today.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh no. Our geezer teasers, blockaded.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

One of the downed IL-76 got dragged down trying to airlift Steven Seagal's fat rear end over Kyiv for a black ops drop to subdue Zelensky with jiu jitsu.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Speaking of which, isn't he living in Russia? As well as Edward Snowden?

steinrokkan posted:

One of the downed IL-76 got dragged down trying to airlift Steven Seagal's fat rear end over Kyiv for a black ops drop to subdue Zelensky with jiu jitsu.

Sorry, looks like they'll need something heavier than that but they just blew up the only AN-225 today.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

map just updated

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Speaking of which, isn't he living in Russia? As well as Edward Snowden?

Gérard Depardieu too.:laugh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FishBulbia posted:

https://twitter.com/liz_cookman/status/1498005055613685762?s=20&t=0oH4Ws0TjKye0Qe5PytVow

Some reporting that Mariupol is already surrounded.

I'm sure that city isn't surrendering though.

Mariupol was always pretty much doomed - back when I was hoping for a limited conquest it was the one urban area I was basically certain Putin wanted, wot with being smack dab on the route between Donetsk et al and Crimea - and I'm feeling some tension between "I hope they hold out as long as possible" and "I would like the city to not be leveled"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

OgNar posted:

Strangely One America News has been down (Trumps fav news channel).
Suspect they were based out of or paid for by Russians.

https://www.oann.com/

lol :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The exchange can prohibit specific sell orders at the cost of any kind of credibility going forward.

Of course, the "credibility going forward" ship has already sailed around the world and crashed on some rocks.