Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I was too busy to spend loving years (three minutes) grinding 18gm of beans for a v60 for the past almost month. The almost month being about a month past the six-week "best before" from the date the beans were roasted on. They were roasted just before Christmas, so I figured they were good until around the start of February, now it's almost March.

I just made a cup with the most "delicate" of the beans. They have lost almost all nuance to them and it tastes like an OK coffee you'd get in a decent café that buys proper beans from a good roaster but haven't a clue about actually making the coffee or what's going into the cup (coffee.)

I don't have much of these four 250gm bags of beans left, so it's not a huge problem, but the fall-off in quality is really surprising. Amazingly surprising to the point it was almost worth letting them lay idle just to see how much the six weeks from roast date is worth (a lot.)

Now this means I'm going to have to rush through the back that was roasted at the end of January, spending loving years grinding (three minutes) to make however many single cups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What are good roasters/coffee places in Calgary?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I was too busy to spend loving years (three minutes) grinding 18gm of beans for a v60 for the past almost month. The almost month being about a month past the six-week "best before" from the date the beans were roasted on. They were roasted just before Christmas, so I figured they were good until around the start of February, now it's almost March.

I just made a cup with the most "delicate" of the beans. They have lost almost all nuance to them and it tastes like an OK coffee you'd get in a decent café that buys proper beans from a good roaster but haven't a clue about actually making the coffee or what's going into the cup (coffee.)

I don't have much of these four 250gm bags of beans left, so it's not a huge problem, but the fall-off in quality is really surprising. Amazingly surprising to the point it was almost worth letting them lay idle just to see how much the six weeks from roast date is worth (a lot.)

Now this means I'm going to have to rush through the back that was roasted at the end of January, spending loving years grinding (three minutes) to make however many single cups.

Whenever I get really good beans I batch out a bunch of small freezer portions with a foodsaver vacuum. The storage bags come in a long roll you cut and seal to size so you can portion out a few days' worth of beans into a bag without wasting any of the roll. I do this pretty much immediately when I get home and from there they go right into the freezer (minus whatever I'm drinking that week). Whenever I open a frozen package they go into a vacuum canister (probably overkill but my sister got it for me for Christmas).

I don't think this stops the degradation process completely but it does really, really stretch it out. They're not like day-of fresh, but I've had beans go for a few months and were really good all the way up to the end.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do the bags puff up a bit since they off-gas CO2 so soon after roasting? Still good to vacuum seal because no oxygen though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Do the bags puff up a bit since they off-gas CO2 so soon after roasting? Still good to vacuum seal because no oxygen though.

If you throw 'em in the freezer right away it'll slow down off-gassing so much that I never notice it. But also yeah, as you say, there really shouldn't be much oxygen left so even if it puffs up when you leave it out at room temp it's not a big deal.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Whenever I get really good beans I batch out a bunch of small freezer portions with a foodsaver vacuum.

I think I would be thrown out a window if I bought another gadget for the kitchen.

I'll just have to dial down to two bags of beans at a time and go to the effort of making a pourover regularly.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

a very little bit after a while, just enough to get the beans a little looser rather than fused to the bag but it won't puff up on you after a few weeks in the freezer.

Mrenda posted:

I think I would be thrown out a window if I bought another gadget for the kitchen.

I know the feeling but that thing plus a cheapo home depot chest freezer have saved me so much money

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

NomNomNom posted:

Coffee thread is long, confusing, and full of over-caffeinated weirdos. Our Oxo on-brain 9 cup dripper has lasted about 5 years and died and we need a new drip pot. Having a timer is a plus but not required.

Way back when I was last researching drippers I looked at the Bonavita and the Technivorm. It looks like the Bonavita is no longer available. I like that the Technivorm is fully repairable but $330 is a lot.

Bonavita was involved in some lawsuits and I think someone bought the brand? They are relaunching soon with the brewers and drippers.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

bolind posted:

What are good roasters/coffee places in Calgary?

I haven’t spent much time in Calgary, but I get coffee from Phil and Sebastian pretty often, and I always really enjoy it.

I’ve also met a few people from Rosso, who have always been super cool, I want to check them out if I’m ever back out that way.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Gunder posted:

I've been making V60 pour-overs pretty much every day for the last two years. Until Hoffman's ultimate technique, I never really managed to get anything all that good out of my Aeropress. The pour-overs always tasted much better to me. The V60 can be pretty unforgiving though, and small inconsistencies or errors in technique will vary the outcome by quite a bit.

I've had the best results when using Scott Rao's updated pour-over technique and would recommend that you give it a try. It's a technique designed for single cups but can be easily upscaled for larger amounts. It's very simple but highly effective. Pay particular attention to the section where he talks about pour height., as that's especially important for getting a good result. (The video uses a Kalita Wave instead of a V60, but the technique works on the V60 no problem).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsGf3R9mc0

Hey thought I'd chime in on this: Been doing this technique since you posted the video for it. Working with the v60 decanter. It's really good! Nothing I haven't done with Hoffman's, and they're not really terribly different, but the consistency on reaching that upper end of delicate flavours has been much higher. Helped the aroma a little bit too, which is something I never really expected.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I decided to try my hand at making some coffee water with the Hendon Water recipe off Barista Hustle and realized after the fact that I took out only 100 out of the 130ml that's called for. Luckily there's no way that this can be worse than Texas tap water, but I'm a little mad at screwing up my first try.

I'm probably going to be in the market for a new espresso machine before long. Right now I've got it narrowed down between the ECM Classika and the La Pavoni Professional. I almost never make milk drinks, so the Classika has basically all the features I would want (PID with integrated timer, easy access to pressure valve, flow rate upgrade) within my price range. A lever machine sounds extremely fun to learn, but the temperature control supposedly isn't the best plus I'd have to rebuy accessories. Anyone have any opinions on the two or recs that fall around/under the $1.8k-ish range?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Spiggy posted:

I decided to try my hand at making some coffee water with the Hendon Water recipe off Barista Hustle and realized after the fact that I took out only 100 out of the 130ml that's called for. Luckily there's no way that this can be worse than Texas tap water, but I'm a little mad at screwing up my first try.

I'm probably going to be in the market for a new espresso machine before long. Right now I've got it narrowed down between the ECM Classika and the La Pavoni Professional. I almost never make milk drinks, so the Classika has basically all the features I would want (PID with integrated timer, easy access to pressure valve, flow rate upgrade) within my price range. A lever machine sounds extremely fun to learn, but the temperature control supposedly isn't the best plus I'd have to rebuy accessories. Anyone have any opinions on the two or recs that fall around/under the $1.8k-ish range?

Maybe check out the Lelit MaraX? It's the machine I wish I'd bought when I got my first "proper" espresso machine.

Edit: Also, look at the much fancier Lelit Bianca, although that might be out of your price range, I'm not sure what they charge for that in the US.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 28, 2022

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Mu Zeta posted:

Bonavita was involved in some lawsuits and I think someone bought the brand? They are relaunching soon with the brewers and drippers.
What a crazy story!

https://www.modernretail.co/retailers/the-rise-fall-and-potential-resurrection-of-a-coffee-brewing-legend/

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
My wonderful child just dropped our porlex hand grinder and the ceramic burrs shattered.

What hand grinder should I buy for travel mokapot and backup espresso for like €100 or less?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Check out 1zpresso. They have a travel grinder for just a bit above your budget.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

other people posted:

My wonderful child just dropped our porlex hand grinder and the ceramic burrs shattered.

dang kid's a real stickler for optimal extraction huh

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So my morning French Press routine is changing, and I'm looking into buying a bigger one -- and a bigger kettle to go along with it. Currently I have a press that I think is 1L full capacity (I usually get 800 ml of coffee out of it, which I can stretch to 900 if I leave the top loose). And I have a stovetop gooseneck kettle that also appears to be about 1L.

I see that Bodum sells up to 1.5L French presses, and I can even find a 1.75L on Amazon (SterlingPro -- not a brand I'm familiar with). For the kettle, I still want temperature control, so at that capacity I'm thinking maybe an electric kettle is the way to go. But it's hard to find any that have close to 1.5L of water and also a gooseneck. I could definitely do without the gooseneck if necessary, but it'd be nice.

Any recommendations from personal experience? Or conversely, is there any issue with doing >1L of French press that I should be aware of?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sir Lemming posted:

So my morning French Press routine is changing, and I'm looking into buying a bigger one -- and a bigger kettle to go along with it. Currently I have a press that I think is 1L full capacity (I usually get 800 ml of coffee out of it, which I can stretch to 900 if I leave the top loose). And I have a stovetop gooseneck kettle that also appears to be about 1L.

I see that Bodum sells up to 1.5L French presses, and I can even find a 1.75L on Amazon (SterlingPro -- not a brand I'm familiar with). For the kettle, I still want temperature control, so at that capacity I'm thinking maybe an electric kettle is the way to go. But it's hard to find any that have close to 1.5L of water and also a gooseneck. I could definitely do without the gooseneck if necessary, but it'd be nice.

Any recommendations from personal experience? Or conversely, is there any issue with doing >1L of French press that I should be aware of?

I don’t think there are any gooseneck electric kettles that big, tbh. Might be worth picking up an inexpensive but high-volume non-GN if you plan to use it every day. It’s not like you need the gooseneck precision for French press nearly as much as for, say, pourover.

FWIW, my roommate and I use a non-gooseneck kettle for French press and even pourover/clever and it works fine for my needs, I assume it works fine for his.

I’d love to get a Stagg, and will probably do so in time, but until then the Oster has digital temp control up to like 220 degrees and holds a ton of water

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Bonavita appear to make a 1.7L temperature controlled gooseneck electric kettle, though it’s out of stock everywhere I can find at the moment. That said I think it’s kind of an unnecessary luxury for French press unless you’re using dark roasts, as water just off the boil will be fine for light or medium.

Is there any particular reason you want to keep using the press for this much volume? 1.5L is almost exactly the capacity of a 9-cup drip machine (the oxo gets good reviews), which seems like an easier way to get that. If you do want to stick with press, 1.5L is enough that I’d want to get a thermal carafe to transfer it to once it’s brewed, and maybe even a fancy ember mug to drink it. Those would be my priorities over throwing a hundred bucks or more at a giant temp controlled kettle.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aeropress costs $40 now. It was $30 just a few days ago :(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I see Ember decided to start making mugs the size one would actually drink from rather than their tiny poo poo, but drat, nearly $200 for the pretty ones. Think I got mine for $80 (then promptly gave it away bc it’s fuckin tiny)

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I see them all the time at costco, $100 for the 14oz size. I had one in my cart last time I was there but put it back on the shelf at the last minute so I’ll be bummed if they’ve raised the price

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is probably an incredibly dumb question but at what point do you start getting diminishing returns from WDT?

I'm currently using a small paperclip to do WDT. I know that the little WDT tools with multiple needles are probably better since you cover a lot more area, and I was thinking about making one with some cork and 4 mm acupuncture needles. Is there any reason to "upgrade" past that?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is probably an incredibly dumb question but at what point do you start getting diminishing returns from WDT?

I'm currently using a small paperclip to do WDT. I know that the little WDT tools with multiple needles are probably better since you cover a lot more area, and I was thinking about making one with some cork and 4 mm acupuncture needles. Is there any reason to "upgrade" past that?

No. This super spergy dude I know uses 4mm on the bottom of his espresso and 2mm at the top. I don’t see the need for that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Not related to needle size, but you can 3d print a nice holder. Many libraries and universities let you print for pennies, or I think there are sites that will print and ship.

I did DIY with a cork before this was available. I had to add hot glue to stop them from slipping around.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Depends on how clumpy the grounds are, honestly. My Specialita doesn't clump much so I basically do a very quick stir, but with something more prone to static it'd probably be worth being more thorough.

If what you have works well enough to make your grounds mostly homogenous in a short time, the reasons for upgrading are largely aesthetic.

E: for reference I use this:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

gotta give props, I thought Stumptown was too mainstream and beneath me but their Homestead blend really does taste like milk chocolate

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

did someone say stumptown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Doesn't matter what method of brewing you use, if you aren't chanting to yourself "three tablespoons, just three tablespoons" during preparation then you are doing it wrong.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mistermojo posted:

gotta give props, I thought Stumptown was too mainstream and beneath me but their Homestead blend really does taste like milk chocolate

The stumptown beans are great if you can get them in reasonable timeframe from roast. The issue is most people buy em in the supermarket at they’re olds.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hypnophant posted:

Bonavita appear to make a 1.7L temperature controlled gooseneck electric kettle, though it’s out of stock everywhere I can find at the moment. That said I think it’s kind of an unnecessary luxury for French press unless you’re using dark roasts, as water just off the boil will be fine for light or medium.

Is there any particular reason you want to keep using the press for this much volume? 1.5L is almost exactly the capacity of a 9-cup drip machine (the oxo gets good reviews), which seems like an easier way to get that. If you do want to stick with press, 1.5L is enough that I’d want to get a thermal carafe to transfer it to once it’s brewed, and maybe even a fancy ember mug to drink it. Those would be my priorities over throwing a hundred bucks or more at a giant temp controlled kettle.

Well the gooseneck is definitely the least important thing by far, I honestly wasn't even sure what it does, I just like the feel of the small stovetop one I have.

I guess it's a similar answer for French press vs. drip machine -- I've just been using the press for so long at this point. The last time I used a drip machine I was still buying pre-ground. So maybe I just have an unfairly negative perception of it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i used a nice cork with a wooden knob end and some bits of old guitar wire. been working perfectly fine for years

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

withak posted:

Doesn't matter what method of brewing you use, if you aren't chanting to yourself "three tablespoons, just three tablespoons" during preparation then you are doing it wrong.

That line will stick with you even through ego death

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Well the gooseneck is definitely the least important thing by far, I honestly wasn't even sure what it does, I just like the feel of the small stovetop one I have.

I guess it's a similar answer for French press vs. drip machine -- I've just been using the press for so long at this point. The last time I used a drip machine I was still buying pre-ground. So maybe I just have an unfairly negative perception of it.

Cheap drip machines (your classic mr coffee, for instance) aren’t great, since they don’t really put out consistent water temps and have uneven showerheads. They’re usually impossible to clean properly too. The nicer tier of oxo or bonavita machines do a good job though, and then there’s the top end of technivorm or breville which make something on par with or close to a really good pourover. If you love the french press there’s no need to switch, but they make sense and do a good job for a larger quantity of coffee.

Gooseneck- the nice thing about a gooseneck kettle is that you can deliver a smooth stream of water right where you want it, which makes pourovers (especially v60-style) easier. It’s not really necessary even for the v60 and for an immersion brew like french press I’d say it’s total overkill.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Cheap drip machines (your classic mr coffee, for instance) aren’t great, since they don’t really put out consistent water temps and have uneven showerheads. They’re usually impossible to clean properly too. The nicer tier of oxo or bonavita machines do a good job though, and then there’s the top end of technivorm or breville which make something on par with or close to a really good pourover. If you love the french press there’s no need to switch, but they make sense and do a good job for a larger quantity of coffee.

Gooseneck- the nice thing about a gooseneck kettle is that you can deliver a smooth stream of water right where you want it, which makes pourovers (especially v60-style) easier. It’s not really necessary even for the v60 and for an immersion brew like french press I’d say it’s total overkill.

where does the idea of good drip machines making coffee close to a good pourover come from. they make good coffee, but definitely not close to a good pourover

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

where does the idea of good drip machines making coffee close to a good pourover come from. they make good coffee, but definitely not close to a good pourover

my understanding was that they could hit comparable ey% but I admittedly do not own either of the models I mentioned and haven't had a cup off them

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Need an assist on my coffee game, goons.

Current setup is:
* Braun BrewSense drip maker with thermal carafe, for when I need many coffee
* Delonghi Dedica for espresso
* pourover carafe
* pourover dripper
* cosori gooseneck kettle
* oster burr grinder

We mostly buy grocery store beans and the vacuum sealed espresso packs because I've yet to find a convenient local roaster, and mostly use preground for workday morning beans.

We're currently at our wit's end with the Braun because the carafe gets the air outlets plugged up while brewing, causing 75% of the brew to end up on our kitchen counter. We'd like to change things up, and I'm wondering how best to optimize the value proposition here. I know that my choice of beans and grinder are holding me back from getting really good pourover, but my wife generally doesn't care so long as home coffee is better than work coffee (and she's got a muldoons machine at work, so that's not difficult). We've also got a baby, which means that lots of coffee with minimal intervention is important, so the drip maker gets a lot of use and there are many mornings where a quick pot is more important than a good pot.

Given this setup, what're your opinions on the most effective places to spend money or add effort to get better coffee.

Also, are there any grinders that can do drip and espresso grinds? Everything I read seems to say that if you have a a grinder that claims to do both, it'll generally do one well and one lovely.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ChickenWing posted:

Need an assist on my coffee game, goons.

… stuff …

Given this setup, what're your opinions on the most effective places to spend money or add effort to get better coffee.

Also, are there any grinders that can do drip and espresso grinds? Everything I read seems to say that if you have a a grinder that claims to do both, it'll generally do one well and one lovely.

I’d say beans are the easiest upgrade (and cheapest). How much do you want to spend? How fiddly can your process be? Do you care about tweaking it?

A new drip machine is pretty easy and will get you good coffee for minimal effort. Personally I wouldn’t go wild on a grinder if you want mostly drip

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sweeper posted:

I’d say beans are the easiest upgrade (and cheapest). How much do you want to spend? How fiddly can your process be? Do you care about tweaking it?

A new drip machine is pretty easy and will get you good coffee for minimal effort. Personally I wouldn’t go wild on a grinder if you want mostly drip

For drip coffee, minimum fiddle. I like to grind my beans on weekends but generally low fuss low muss. For the rest, I'm happy with a fiddly process and moderate expense. Not necessary budget but not super enthusiast either. Happy to tweak processes

Beans as the cheapest upgrade is surprising because goddamn they seem to be expensive locally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I got my parents the oxo 9-cup and they really like it. Good coffee, very simple UI. Solid thermal carafe too. It's about twice the price of your Braun but worth it, I think