Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

today I learned that the NATO logo doesn't contain OTAN just for weird "read it backwards in a mirror (despite the N)" reasons - as I had believed for years - but it actually stands for the organisation's name in French. lmao :doh:

I am weirdly fascinated by words and acronyms like that in different languages.

Like the energy label that covers a whole load of languages with just 4 suffixes

Plus Greek

Plus Bulgarian

Or the former Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market in Alicante, whose initials in different languages looked like a weird incantation ritual to summon that nice sensible Mr Barnier to sort everything out #FBPE

OAMI - HABM - OHIM - OHMI - UAMI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

depends on whether you subscribe to the "the french just write everything backwards to annoy the anglos" theory (which I just made up and now have decided is good)
This actually kinda stands up, considering a lot of their slang is saying things backwards to annoy the prescriptivists (e.g. "ci mer" instead of "merci", "oinj" (pronounced "waanj") instead of "joint" (pronounced "jwa", yes a lot of my French language experience consists of talking about spliffs & no I have no idea about correct spellings of weird French slang))

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

journalism! lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

This actually kinda stands up, considering a lot of their slang is saying things backwards to annoy the prescriptivists (e.g. "ci mer" instead of "merci", "oinj" (pronounced "waanj") instead of "joint" (pronounced "jwa", yes a lot of my French language experience consists of talking about spliffs))

Verlan is just French Cockney Rhyming tbh.

But now Im starting to think forums poster Namtab might be suspiciously French :thunk:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Can't find the article but they've got a near-identical headline about the Chinese internet, sure that's real?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

idk I copied it from the war thread

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol that's obviously fake c'mon

but funny

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lmao

https://twitter.com/periuspb/status/1497926176811139077?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I think it's not the first time that a NYT article has been 'shopped with a screenshot of C-SPAM

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Borrovan posted:

This actually kinda stands up, considering a lot of their slang is saying things backwards to annoy the prescriptivists (e.g. "ci mer" instead of "merci", "oinj" (pronounced "waanj") instead of "joint" (pronounced "jwa", yes a lot of my French language experience consists of talking about spliffs & no I have no idea about correct spellings of weird French slang))

you've also got "le teush" which derives from "le poo poo", also for weed

much more loving useful than learning about the past historic tense but guess which one schools and universities want you to learn

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Skibadee died. My girlfriend went to college with him & has mutual friends, apparently he was a nice lad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't even remember what hot takes he's famous for, and I can't be bothered looking it up.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
He's a very boring centrist who thinks he's ten times smarter than he is and won't stop yelling about how the left are the real fascists but honestly none of that matters, I just loved the dril style meltdown

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm donating my bones to the cockroach natural history museum where after the apocalypse they'll display me in the grand atrium (the shipping container at my unfinished house).

Looking forward to when cockroach historians reassemble our bones in the wrong order and think we were a race of extremely racist feathered crocodiles

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Skibadee died. My girlfriend went to college with him & has mutual friends, apparently he was a nice lad

Yeah I heard this. Fuckin :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtm2wAigEXc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

He's a very boring centrist who thinks he's ten times smarter than he is and won't stop yelling about how the left are the real fascists but honestly none of that matters, I just loved the dril style meltdown
It adds to it though, like if he's supposed to be the bane of my existence, the thorn in my side, and I'm supposed to celebrate his death and fight him in the magh meall, you'd think I'd instantly know why, rather than staring at the name for a solid minute thinking "something to do with unherd or quillette? no, somehow associated with Maajid Nawaz? no, did he catch the Glenn Greenwald brains?..."

I know the name from the internet politics brain bund, but I couldn't place a single opinion against it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't Oz the Assadist? Or does he call everyone he doesn't like Assadists?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThomasPaine posted:

But ten times zero is still zero :v:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Yeah iirc he's the guy who saw a couple of delusional tankie posts and decided everyone on the left was unironically pro-Assad

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1498054698468659200

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As a general conceptual statement or specifically in his house/city/juridiction?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Remember when brexit people thought that Yorkshire Tea was grown up in the Dales or some poo poo?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
why are we copping it?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This is from 2014:

How come all these 'world leaders' have Chechen bank accounts or at least bank accounts which Chechnya can freeze?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/chechen-leader-threatens-freeze-barack-3921553

quote:

The Russian-backed leader of Chechnya has warned Barack Obama and top EU officials they face being banned from the region and having bank accounts frozen.

Ramzan Kadyrov said he was slapping the restrictions on the US President and his European allies due to the “tragedy” they had brought to Ukraine.

Kadyrov, who is head of the Chechen Republic, was speaking after the European Union imposed sanctions over Ukraine that for the first time included him.

In a posting on his Instagram account, Kadyrov said: “The whole world has witnessed the tragedy of Libyan, Syrian, Iraqi and Afghan nations. And the Ukrainian one recently.

“Under the pretext of exporting democracy, civilians are being killed in these countries and cities and religious ties are being destroyed.

etc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Religious ties like what Mormons wear?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is from 2014:

How come all these 'world leaders' have Chechen bank accounts or at least bank accounts which Chechnya can freeze?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/chechen-leader-threatens-freeze-barack-3921553

To pay for the pee tapes?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Wait did oz not have an SA connection back in the day or am I misremembering

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jiggerypokery posted:

To pay for the pee tapes?

It wasn't Obomba with the pee tapes!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So I think I might have Mr. Bean'd my way to the best-cooked bit of beef I have ever eaten. Barely needed to carve it, a sharp word would have been enough to slice it, and despite being just a cheap generic Asda rolled joint it tasted like steak. Now part of this might have been I was bloody starving by the time I ate it but genuinely I've not cooked myself anything this good in *years*, probably since I last hosted Christmas and splashed out on a proper joint from Smithfield.

I wonder actually if the sear after letting the salt and pepper sit on it for half an hour, then effectively just resting it for another half hour after the sear, might have been what did the trick - a lot of the outside fat had soaked down into the joint by the time I did the actual cooking, I might have to play around with this a bit.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
or covid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So I think I might have Mr. Bean'd my way to the best-cooked bit of beef I have ever eaten. Barely needed to carve it, a sharp word would have been enough to slice it, and despite being just a cheap generic Asda rolled joint it tasted like steak. Now part of this might have been I was bloody starving by the time I ate it but genuinely I've not cooked myself anything this good in *years*, probably since I last hosted Christmas and splashed out on a proper joint from Smithfield.

I wonder actually if the sear after letting the salt and pepper sit on it for half an hour, then effectively just resting it for another half hour after the sear, might have been what did the trick - a lot of the outside fat had soaked down into the joint by the time I did the actual cooking, I might have to play around with this a bit.

you probably accidentally did a partial cure and ofc letting it have a good rest is essential, so good job

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

Wasn't Oz the Assadist? Or does he call everyone he doesn't like Assadists?

The latter. He calls everyone Assadists & Tankies for not backing US intervention here there & everywhere. A world view that has all the nuance of a thing very lacking in any nuance.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Have you ever tried sousvide?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mano posted:

Have you ever tried sousvide?

I have, and even bought a dedicated heater for it, but it's such a faff to set up and while the results are good I don't feel like they justify said faff (especially as I'm loath to leave anything that gets hot running in the house without me also in the house, so it effectively locks me in all day).

The heater isn't wasted though, it's *perfect* for water baths to keep photo chemicals at the right temperature. I really must get round to ordering a C41 kit and have a stab at colour at some point.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don't do it super often but imo it's hardly more effort than filling a kettle.

fwiw i don't bother sealing bags, i just clip them open over the top of the pot

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

depends on whether you subscribe to the "the french just write everything backwards to annoy the anglos" theory (which I just made up and now have decided is good)

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet but EU in French is UE and UN is NU.

Has to do with the word order.

e: Though the French do have a cryptic fetish for inverting things in words but it's syllables instead of letters, it's their version of Cockney rhyming slang.

e2: Apparently somebody already mentioned the latter.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 28, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And because the anti cancel culture faction will accuse us of bias if we don't throw in some outright fash, their National Front (NF) was the Front National (FN).

Although it's now trying to disguise that by becoming le Rassemblement National (RN) which means National Rally (NR). And is getting no votes, (:lol:).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Private Speech posted:

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet but EU in French is UE and UN is NU.

Has to do with the word order.

English goes adjective-noun and French and other Romance languages go noun-adjective (which makes more sense to me tbh, the noun is usually more important)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The official abbreviation for Coordinated Universal Time is UTC. This abbreviation comes as a result of the International Telecommunication Union and the International Astronomical Union wanting to use the same abbreviation in all languages. English speakers originally proposed CUT (for "coordinated universal time"), while French speakers proposed TUC (for "temps universel coordonné"). The compromise that emerged was UTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What about Co-ordinated Universal National Time, aka tory time?