Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Magnetic North posted:

I have sold old CCGs and old RPG books to them on three separate occasions and have absolutely no complaints the service. This was all pre-pandemic, mind you. IIRC, the way it worked what you told them what it was: you talk via mail to decide what they think they can resell and the conditions and agree on a price, they mail you shipping labels, and then you send them out on their dime. Then they mail you a check (maybe they can do direct deposit, who knows). I have not used them to sell board games, and I don't know if they have a process for if something is not in the condition specified or is otherwise incomplete, like you might expect if you sold a Magic card and they disagreed on the condition.

That's definitely the easiest option. Of course, there could be games they won't accept, so if that happens, maybe consider visiting the Board Gaming thread to see if maybe anyone wants them. (I don't know if there are SA-Mart rules for that type of thing, I am not a lawyer mod.) Or if it's an option at least give them to a local charity shop / secondhand store like Goodwill or something instead of just putting them in the garbage, so someone else can hopefully enjoy them.

I've also sold a few boxes to Noble Knight, during the pandemic. I was impressed. They make it pretty easy.

I made more selling books at the GenCon auction, but that requires a bunch of upfront cost and much more work on the seller's part. Noble Knight made it super easy and I thought the price was fair considering that - especially if you just want em out of your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Prowlers and Paragons - I'm on a supers-collecting spree, and I'm looking at this. Any red flags? Not to get all Trad Industry, but there's a niggling feeling in the back of my head. Did I hear something? Can anybody speak to the people involved. Bonus, can anybody speak to the game itself?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CitizenKeen posted:

Prowlers and Paragons - I'm on a supers-collecting spree, and I'm looking at this. Any red flags? Not to get all Trad Industry, but there's a niggling feeling in the back of my head. Did I hear something? Can anybody speak to the people involved. Bonus, can anybody speak to the game itself?

There is a quickstart for the game at least.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

Sean Patrick Fannon worked on the book and was accused to sexual harassment by multiple people. He got bounced off RPG.net for doxxing somebody.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Dawgstar posted:

Sean Patrick Fannon worked on the book and was accused to sexual harassment by multiple people. He got bounced off RPG.net for doxxing somebody.

I knew that feeling was coming from somewhere. Thanks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Weird random question : when do you think number of people who knew a vancian magic system eclipsed number of people who were familiar with Vance’s books? Ignoring the name “vancian” for the question, just the system.

Early 80’s?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

Weird random question : when do you think number of people who knew a vancian magic system eclipsed number of people who were familiar with Vance’s books? Ignoring the name “vancian” for the question, just the system.

Early 80’s?

No later than the early 1990s when FF1 came out on the NES.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Reminds me that I really need to read more of Vance's stuff, I've had a anthology containing several of his novellas(The Dragon Masters, The Last Castle, and The Miracle Workers) for several years but I've barely touched it at all in the time I've owned it

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Even knowing it was largely cribbed from his work, and having heard it called "Vancian magic," the first time I read Vance I was still struck by how directly adapted it is. It feels so essentially game-y now, but it's really all there in Vance, down to the spell levels.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me that I really need to read more of Vance's stuff, I've had a anthology containing several of his novellas(The Dragon Masters, The Last Castle, and The Miracle Workers) for several years but I've barely touched it at all in the time I've owned it

I would strongly recommend giving his work a go. He has a very good knack for direct and to-the-point prose that make his stories move at a good pace and keep the more indulgent aspects of his writing in check. The Dying Earth stories in particular feel a lot like the ideal Gygax was trying to work towards with early D&D, but are so much better executed from a tonal and writing perspective.

One thing about Vance's The Dying Earth stories that often doesn't get properly conveyed by fans is how darkly humorous and ironic they are in tone. Like, major segments of the Cugel the Clever stories read less like game of thrones and more like a very dark Daffy Duck cartoon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The thing to know about Vance is that you can read a lot of Vance in not a lot of time. The Dragon Masters, The Last Castle, and all of the Dying Earth, that's fewer pages than e.g. two installments of ASOIAF or any big YA trilogy.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody played External Containment Bureau? I have some players that are interested in it but I've never played it myself (or any other Forged in the Dark game) and there are some rules and structure things in the book that are sort of half-explained, but that I don't totally understand how they work in practice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I bought the Troubleshooters from my flgs, and drat the art direction is incredibly on point. It captures the feeling of 60s-70s bédé perfectly.

I love it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody played External Containment Bureau? I have some players that are interested in it but I've never played it myself (or any other Forged in the Dark game) and there are some rules and structure things in the book that are sort of half-explained, but that I don't totally understand how they work in practice.

You could check the Blades in the Dark SRD to see if it's covered there. https://bladesinthedark.com/basics

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I've only flipped through Orbital Blues so far and I think it looks great, but I'm a little worried it'll be too graphically busy for easy reference.

Well, as of today we can add Monster Care Squad to the list of "totally gorgeous books". Oh this is pretty, very pretty. I'd read a bunch of text from the PDF a while back, but this is my first look at the finished art and layout. I am extremely happy to add this to the huge pile on my coffee table.

Speaking of PDFs, I did start in on the Avatar PDF by going through the GM section. It looks solid, agendas, guidelines, moves all line up the way they should, and there's a good amount of text describing how it's all supposed to work. I think they knew this would be a lot of their customer base's first RPG, and the work on the GM section reflects that.

Now to go over it again and make sure it's actually good.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

KingKalamari posted:

He has a very good knack for direct and to-the-point prose that make his stories move at a good pace and keep the more indulgent aspects of his writing in check.

I enjoy words a lot and make it a point to know a bunch of them. more or less exactly once per chapter, Vance will use a word that's so esoteric I have to go look it up.

it's fun and he does it right but I imagine it's one of the origins of Gygax abusing the dictionary.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I enjoyed the Vance collection I had right up until Cugel the Clever, who was so awful I couldn't stand to read any more about him.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

mllaneza posted:

Now to go over it again and make sure it's actually good.

Have they improved description of the setting? The preview basically required you to know a ton about Avatar to run, which I guess is perfectly appropriate for the target market, but not ideal in general.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

I enjoy words a lot and make it a point to know a bunch of them. more or less exactly once per chapter, Vance will use a word that's so esoteric I have to go look it up.

it's fun and he does it right but I imagine it's one of the origins of Gygax abusing the dictionary.

Yeah, Vance's love of complex and esoteric words tends to mostly work because the other aspects of his prose are so direct and too the point. Gygax's own writing made a lot more sense after I read Vance since it's clear Gygax is trying to imitate Vance's writing style but doesn't fully understand what made it work and so he just ends up reading like a smug, bloviating windbag who ate a thesaurus.

potatocubed posted:

I enjoyed the Vance collection I had right up until Cugel the Clever, who was so awful I couldn't stand to read any more about him.

A lot of people tend to have that reaction to the Cugel stories and it's definitely not helped by some of Cugel's worst actions happening in the first half of the first book. As the series progresses it gets this good rhythm going where Cugel achieves temporary windfalls by being a backstabbing rear end in a top hat, only to end up losing that windfall in the next story by either overestimating his own abilities or by getting dicked over by someone who's better at being an rear end in a top hat than he is.

I made reference to Chuck Jones era Daffy Duck earlier when describing the Cugel stories and I honestly think it's an apt comparison: Cugel's an immoral rear end in a top hat who does incredibly lovely things, but for some people he's really fun to read about because he's so frequently the author of his own downfall.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's Always Sunny On The Dying Earth

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Cugel stories became more palatable once someone pointed out to me that they're all in the picaresque genre.

Wikipedia posted:

A picaresque narrative is usually written in first person as an autobiographical account.

The main character is often of low character or social class. They get by with wits and rarely deign to hold a job.

There is little or no plot. The story is told in a series of loosely connected adventures or episodes.

There is little if any character development in the main character. Once a pícaro, always a pícaro. Their circumstances may change but these rarely result in a change of heart.

The pícaro's story is told with a plainness of language or realism.

Satire is sometimes a prominent element.

The behavior of a picaresque protagonist stops just short of criminality. Carefree or immoral rascality positions the picaresque hero as a sympathetic outsider, untouched by the false rules of society.

Cugel is an rear end in a top hat whose greed unveils the hypocrisy of society. At the end of every story he loses his ill-gotten gains *because* he is a relentless rear end in a top hat, and is driven out to find new hypocrites to swindle.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Eyes of the Overworld is good, but I couldn't get thrugh Cugel's Saga. It felt padded, like every encounter that would have been a page or two in the previous stories was blown out to a full chapter.

My favorite part of the whole setting is how much more dynamic "Vancian Casting" was in its original conception than what eventually got codified in RPGs. There's a scene where Cugel picks up a book in a treasure room, reads and memorizes a powerful spell, and then casts it to destroy the monster burrow he's been imprisoned in. Memorizing spells isn't a class feature exclusive to Wizards, and doesn't take any appreciable amount of time beyond reading the words off the printed page. The real skill of an experienced mage is pronouncing them correctly, with hilarious miscast effects if you do it wrong. I can see why this was discarded in the modern class based fantasy paradigm, which prioritizes role protection for casters, but it's fun to imagine an alternate path where it was the norm.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mellonbread posted:

Eyes of the Overworld is good, but I couldn't get thrugh Cugel's Saga. It felt padded, like every encounter that would have been a page or two in the previous stories was blown out to a full chapter.

My favorite part of the whole setting is how much more dynamic "Vancian Casting" was in its original conception than what eventually got codified in RPGs. There's a scene where Cugel picks up a book in a treasure room, reads and memorizes a powerful spell, and then casts it to destroy the monster burrow he's been imprisoned in. Memorizing spells isn't a class feature exclusive to Wizards, and doesn't take any appreciable amount of time beyond reading the words off the printed page. The real skill of an experienced mage is pronouncing them correctly, with hilarious miscast effects if you do it wrong. I can see why this was discarded in the modern class based fantasy paradigm, which prioritizes role protection for casters, but it's fun to imagine an alternate path where it was the norm.
The AD&D 1E Thief had the class ability to cast spells from Magic User scrolls (with a certain chance of failure) which was lifted directly from that part of Cugel's story.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kegel's Saga

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

potatocubed posted:

The only Vance I've actually read was a short story about this rear end in a top hat being stuck in a pit and within the first paragraph I was hoping he'd die in the pit. I never went back to read more Vance because I was under the impression it was going to be more of this rear end in a top hat not dying in a pit so knowing there's different assholes I might go back and try again.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Give the Demon Princes a shot; it's a scifi riff on Man in the Iron Mask, a heroic assassin seeking revenge on the five pirate lords who enslaved his home world. It has all the wild worldbuilding and poetically bizarre dialog of classic Vance, only the over-the-top assholes all get their karmic comeuppance.

The protagonist is surprisingly self-aware for the genre, and is frequently warned that his victory will destroy him as totally as defeat. But hey, those assholes aren't going to kill themselves.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Eyes of the Overworld is pretty good so far, while The Dying Earth was... okay? It kind of felt like a series loosely connected Zothique stories with way fewer dictionary seeks.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Runa posted:

Kegel's Saga

A real clenching narrative.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It's worth noting that The Dying Earth and both Cugel books (though less the second than the first) are largely fix-ups of short stories that were originally published separately from each other, which accounts for a lot of the loose connections and padded episodes.

I definitely laughed out loud at one point in Cugel's Saga when I realized that Vance had structured an entire nation's geography, cultural mores, economic system, and fashion just so Cugel could steal a boat in the funniest possible way.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 28, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

grassy gnoll posted:

A real clenching narrative.
Tightly written

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

Tightly written

I was skeptical at first, but once I got in there it was absolutely gripping

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd gently caress with it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
do y'all ever buy physical rpg rulebooks just to own and read, with no expectations of ever playing that particular game?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

redleader posted:

do y'all ever buy physical rpg rulebooks just to own and read, with no expectations of ever playing that particular game?

Wait, these are games? That people actually play? With other people?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

redleader posted:

I own Lancer and will not play it. I own Electric Bastionland as an art book and an inspiration source that will likely never see a table, since I'd have to GM it and it's not the kind I'm really capable of. I have & do play 5e from time to time, and I have 2/3 of the core set. So overall I'm at a 50/50 split on "yes". Would have been 60/40 if I kept my Mothership pledge.

I'm not counting the 5e limited-cover modules I'm just holding to flip in this arrangement - I haven't even opened them and don't intend to.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

redleader posted:

I've bought physical copies of books that I've previously run in PDF form, even when I had no expectation that I'd ever run them again. It's partly enjoyment from acquiring an aesthetically pleasing object, and partially feels like a "reward" to the devs for creating a product that I enjoyed.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

redleader posted:

In more than one instance I have bought RPGs literally by the pound for this reason. Just big blind box purchases. Ended up throwing out a lot of out of date 40k codexes but ended up with treasure nonetheless.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I supported way too many Zinequest items last year, there's no way a single human being can play all of those in a lifetime.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

redleader posted:

I try not to but I definitely have more RPG books than I can ever use in a lifetime. I’ll be maxing out my second bookcase this year I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah as a non-joke answer, I can only think of one instance where I've bought an RPG rulebook that I'd probably never play. Every other one I've bought, I may have bought in part because of the art or production or to support the creators, but with the hope of actually playing them at some point. It's hard to say if I ever will, just given my limited time on Earth.