Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Sadly the linked site has failed for me twice now

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1498217212318040064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/JFXM/status/1498216948928479232

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i really hope they do seriously negotiate, making some concessions to russia, like giving them crimea or autonomy for the two bullshit "republics" in the east as a guarantee of neutrality without regime change would suck for ukraine but is still better than a long war. i'm afraid russia will probably insist on replacing zelenskyy with a puppet though

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Call me a pessimist, but I don't see this going anywhere.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Well considering Jack Moore had posted that a minute before their defense ministry had even stated they had showed up.
Thinking he jumped the gun a bit

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I think the most I'm hoping for is a ceasefire with the promise of future negotiations, and probably a stalemate on something like the current lines of control for the time being. Russia gets to stop the humiliating defeats, look like they're giving peace a chance to get and easing on sanctions, and has crippled Ukraine. Meanwhile Ukraine gets to not get entirely occupied by Russia.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
At the same time: https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498221677364219905

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1498223154904379392
Zelensky to release former combatants from custody

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shibawanko posted:

i really hope they do seriously negotiate, making some concessions to russia, like giving them crimea or autonomy for the two bullshit "republics" in the east as a guarantee of neutrality without regime change would suck for ukraine but is still better than a long war. i'm afraid russia will probably insist on replacing zelenskyy with a puppet though

yeah if russia had launched a fairly limited invasion that would be one thing, but it sure looks like they're going for the whole enchilada so i don't really see anything ukraine's willing to offer being good enough for Papa Vlad

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Also not a thing that's happening.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah, replacing Zelensky with a puppet would pretty much make the treaty not worth the paper it’s written on. I hope Ukraine gets “Minsk II plus legally binding neutrality,” and I hope Putin accepts that. Those are terms all sides can easily spin as a victory for themselves.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

negotiations going like this:

Russia: Surrender immediately and accept territorial concessions and our handpicked government and we will grant a ceasefire
Ukraine: No
Ukraine: Withdraw immediately and abandon the autonomous regions and we will grant a ceasefire
Russia: No
Both: Well that about wraps it up, let's grab a drink and head home then

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shibawanko posted:

Why would they give to Russia through negotiation everything Russia could want to impose on them via unconditional surrender? Like, you might as well have just typed "I hope they volunteer to be annexed." Surrender of Crimea, the two fake Republics, a guarantee of non-NATO (and presumably non-EU) neutrality and, if Russia insists, the installation of a puppet regime sounds like what Russia would demand if they're intentionally trying to sink the talks because they're not serious about them. Which is why they'll probably ask for it.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/TigayBarry/status/1498011321937412100

This has some Asian parenting vibes

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Shibawanko posted:

How would 'neutrality' work though? Pinky swear not to join Nato/EU? How would 'not join the EU' work though, when that's everything but a yes or no issue? Their economy, laws, ... could become very much aligned with the EU without actually joining it, and I don't think Putin would be happy to have a Ukraine that's basically an EU member in everything but the name right on his doorstep.

So then what, give Moscow a veto on what kind of treaties they can sign? What laws they can enact? But that would just make them a puppet state.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

That's because it's a guy making a Jewish mother joke

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Why would they give to Russia through negotiation everything Russia could want to impose on them via unconditional surrender? Like, you might as well have just typed "I hope they volunteer to be annexed." Surrender of Crimea, the two fake Republics, a guarantee of non-NATO (and presumably non-EU) neutrality and, if Russia insists, the installation of a puppet regime sounds like what Russia would demand if they're intentionally trying to sink the talks because they're not serious about them. Which is why they'll probably ask for it.

yeah that's why i said they should stop short of regime change, read my post again

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ukraine hasn't got anything big to threaten Russia with, other than prolonging the conflict. And a prolonged conflict will put even more financial hurt on Russia. But this has all happened so fast that I doubt the Russian negotiators think they are in a weak position, nor is the Russian populace very well informed of their current predicament.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

uXs posted:

How would 'neutrality' work though? Pinky swear not to join Nato/EU? How would 'not join the EU' work though, when that's everything but a yes or no issue? Their economy, laws, ... could become very much aligned with the EU without actually joining it, and I don't think Putin would be happy to have a Ukraine that's basically an EU member in everything but the name right on his doorstep.

So then what, give Moscow a veto on what kind of treaties they can sign? What laws they can enact? But that would just make them a puppet state.

At this point I don't see how Russia wins control of Ukraine, since you don't really have control of anything when your entire economy collapses in something akin to a failed African dictatorship. My understanding is that the SWIFT bans were not a sure thing until Zelensky convinced Britain to get on board, since that involves a bunch of western countries losing good money too, and that's particularly crushing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Any one have facebook than can screenshot this?

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1498218497154899971

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

OgNar posted:

Any one have facebook than can screenshot this?

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1498218497154899971

УКР/ENG ❗️
Сумарні орієнтовні втрати ворога з 24.02 по 28.02 станом на 6.00:
Літаки 29
гелікоптери 29
Танки 191
Бойові броньовані машини 816
Гармат 74
ЗРК БУК 1
Град 21
Автомобільна техніка 291
Цистерни 60
БпЛА ОТР 3
Кораблі/катери 2
Засоби ППО 5
Особовий склад орієнтовно 5300(уточнюється)
👆Інформація орієнтовна і може уточнюватись, оскільки ії вкрай складно отримувати після бою, адже командири насамперед зосереджуються на веденні бою.
Крім того інформацію ми можемо отримати лише по завершенню бою, а бої бувають вкрай тривалі у часі. Надходження даних може відбутись наступного дня, а іноді і через день.
Крім того, якщо бій тривав вночі, і розпочався в одну календарну дату, а завершився в іншу, то доволі складно відділити у яку саме добу стались ті чи інші втрати.
💬 Ганна Маляр - заступник Міністра оборони України

🔘 🔘 🔘

Estimated loses of the enemy for the period from FEB 24 to FEB 28, as for 6.00 a.m.:
Aircrafts 29
Helicopters 29
Tanks 191
Armored combat vehicles 816
Guns 74
Anti-aircraft missile system Buk 1
Multiple launch rocket system Grad 21
Vehicles 291
Cisterns 60
UAVs 3
Ships/ motor boats 2
AAD assets 5
Personnel aproximately 5300 (to be confirmed)
👆Information is approximate and may be clarified, as far as it is extremely difficult to collect data after a combat, because commanders' main focus is the combat itself.
Moreover, we can get information only after the combat, and the combats are extremely long in time. Data may be received the next day, sometimes even later.
In addition, if the combat was lasting at night, began on one calendar day and ended on another, it is quite difficult to distinguish when the losses occurred.
💬 Hanna Maliar - Deputy Minister of Defence of Ukraine

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Gained another 1000 over the last update

Thanks.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
neutrality a la Ireland or Austria is possible, where NATO continues to maintain that the door is open but Ukraine would commit to neutrality and would subsequently have to jump through some hoops (e.g. legislation or constitutional amendment) to renounce neutrality

that would save face for Moscow but fundamentally concedes that Ukraine leaves permanently for the Western sphere, and eventually EU article 42.7 would grow some teeth anyway, not least of which because Russia just launched a massive conventional war in Europe that highlights the importance of a believable commitment to mutual defense when facing down a nuclear power - so it's not clear why Moscow would accept such a compromise either

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 28, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Varinn posted:

I was told they were targeted sanctions

They're targeted at destroying the Russian economy, yes. They were not targeted to just freeze assets of a few people in the Russian government, no.

It sucks for regular middle class Russians, yes. Not as much as it sucks to be any Ukrainian, no.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

heres the tweet version if you prefer

https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/status/1498188528638902275

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shakespearean Beef posted:

УКР/ENG ❗️
Сумарні орієнтовні втрати ворога з 24.02 по 28.02 станом на 6.00:
Літаки 29
гелікоптери 29
Танки 191
Бойові броньовані машини 816
Гармат 74
ЗРК БУК 1
Град 21
Автомобільна техніка 291
Цистерни 60
БпЛА ОТР 3
Кораблі/катери 2
Засоби ППО 5
Особовий склад орієнтовно 5300(уточнюється)
👆Інформація орієнтовна і може уточнюватись, оскільки ії вкрай складно отримувати після бою, адже командири насамперед зосереджуються на веденні бою.
Крім того інформацію ми можемо отримати лише по завершенню бою, а бої бувають вкрай тривалі у часі. Надходження даних може відбутись наступного дня, а іноді і через день.
Крім того, якщо бій тривав вночі, і розпочався в одну календарну дату, а завершився в іншу, то доволі складно відділити у яку саме добу стались ті чи інші втрати.
💬 Ганна Маляр - заступник Міністра оборони України

🔘 🔘 🔘

Estimated loses of the enemy for the period from FEB 24 to FEB 28, as for 6.00 a.m.:
Aircrafts 29
Helicopters 29
Tanks 191
Armored combat vehicles 816
Guns 74
Anti-aircraft missile system Buk 1
Multiple launch rocket system Grad 21
Vehicles 291
Cisterns 60
UAVs 3
Ships/ motor boats 2
AAD assets 5
Personnel aproximately 5300 (to be confirmed)
👆Information is approximate and may be clarified, as far as it is extremely difficult to collect data after a combat, because commanders' main focus is the combat itself.
Moreover, we can get information only after the combat, and the combats are extremely long in time. Data may be received the next day, sometimes even later.
In addition, if the combat was lasting at night, began on one calendar day and ended on another, it is quite difficult to distinguish when the losses occurred.
💬 Hanna Maliar - Deputy Minister of Defence of Ukraine

Cisterns 60... that number hasn't changed since it was last published, they need to destroy more of these fuel lorries... anything logistical is good.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ola posted:

Ukraine hasn't got anything big to threaten Russia with, other than prolonging the conflict. And a prolonged conflict will put even more financial hurt on Russia. But this has all happened so fast that I doubt the Russian negotiators think they are in a weak position, nor is the Russian populace very well informed of their current predicament.

I bet they're probably notice when their breakfast is 80x more expensive this morning.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

OgNar posted:

I'm not saying its illegal
China is.

China can eat poo poo. Once Putin's done we can give them our full attention. Once the CCP's done then all this malarkey about authoritarianism being on the rise again will hopefully shut the gently caress up for the rest of our lifetimes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yureina posted:

China can eat poo poo. Once Putin's done we can give them our full attention. Once the CCP's done then all this malarkey about authoritarianism being on the rise again will hopefully shut the gently caress up for the rest of our lifetimes.

This sounds like an excellent idea. Can't wait for this version of the world.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
The killed number is bizarre. There is absolutely no way for you to reasonably estimate enemy casualties in a conflict this large.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Did this get linked yet?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-seize-60t-rubles-citizens-175003496.html

"The State Duma deputy from the Communist Party of the Russian Federation (CPRF), Nikolai Arefiev, made this statement. He declared that the funds deposited by Russian citizens would be used in case of a new economic crisis.

Russian Citizens’ Money Under Threat
The ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine has created ripples of fear and conflict across the globe.

While the allies of Russia support the invasion, the supporters of Ukraine, including the likes of the USA and UK, have made their statements as well.

Along with the two countries, the European Union, too, stated that they would impose significant sanctions on Russia for their move.

However, Russia already has a plan in place, which is a threat to Ukraine’s allies and Russians as well. Nikolai Arefiev, in a statement to NEWS.ru, said:

“If they block all the funds that are abroad, then the government will have no choice but to seize all the deposits of the population – there are about 60 trillion rubles – in order to get out of the situation,”

Currently, Russia has about $640 billion in gold and foreign exchange reserves outside the country. Furthermore, oligarchs’ capital is stored abroad by 14 trillion rubles ($158 billion) and another $470 billion capital.

Should these funds be confiscated, Russia intends to pull the trigger on its citizens to rebuild its economy. When asked about whether or not citizens’ would return this money to the citizens, Arefiev stated:

“Five generations will pass until the state pays off, by that time inflation will devour all this.”

This seems like a real bad idea to me, but what do I know, I don't have a degree in finance

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sanguinia posted:

I bet they're probably notice when their breakfast is 80x more expensive this morning.

No reason why it would be. Companies or government agencies that have payments in foreign currencies coming up are going to have trouble making them, but individuals who are getting paid in rubles and spend their money in Russia aren’t going to be affected until supplies of foreign made stuff start going short.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Trump posted:

The killed number is bizarre. There is absolutely no way for you to reasonably estimate enemy casualties in a conflict this large.

The entire post is 100% propaganda. It's understandable propaganda, but there's no reason to believe any of it has anything to do with reality.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

TheRat posted:

This sounds like an excellent idea. Can't wait for this version of the world.

Sarcasm? :allears:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

McCloud posted:

Did this get linked yet?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-seize-60t-rubles-citizens-175003496.html

"The State Duma deputy from the Communist Party of the Russian Federation (CPRF), Nikolai Arefiev, made this statement. He declared that the funds deposited by Russian citizens would be used in case of a new economic crisis.

Russian Citizens’ Money Under Threat
The ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine has created ripples of fear and conflict across the globe.

While the allies of Russia support the invasion, the supporters of Ukraine, including the likes of the USA and UK, have made their statements as well.

Along with the two countries, the European Union, too, stated that they would impose significant sanctions on Russia for their move.

However, Russia already has a plan in place, which is a threat to Ukraine’s allies and Russians as well. Nikolai Arefiev, in a statement to NEWS.ru, said:

“If they block all the funds that are abroad, then the government will have no choice but to seize all the deposits of the population – there are about 60 trillion rubles – in order to get out of the situation,”

Currently, Russia has about $640 billion in gold and foreign exchange reserves outside the country. Furthermore, oligarchs’ capital is stored abroad by 14 trillion rubles ($158 billion) and another $470 billion capital.

Should these funds be confiscated, Russia intends to pull the trigger on its citizens to rebuild its economy. When asked about whether or not citizens’ would return this money to the citizens, Arefiev stated:

“Five generations will pass until the state pays off, by that time inflation will devour all this.”

This seems like a real bad idea to me, but what do I know, I don't have a degree in finance

Yeah I don't think Putin is going to abolish private property to win a war with Ukraine.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TheRat posted:

The entire post is 100% propaganda. It's understandable propaganda, but there's no reason to believe any of it has anything to do with reality.

I trust those numbers a lot more. It's much easier to estimate material damage after a contact than human casualties.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498230403043319810

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The Georgian government is making GBS threads its collective pants because they know they are next in line after Ukraine.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

TyrantWD posted:

This entire war is such a strange move from Putin. He was winning. Western liberal democracies were coming apart at the seams, and he could have easily got a Trump 2.0 in office who would have pulled the plug on NATO.

At the very least try to stage an incident to give the right wing movements you have been funding and supporting in other countries the cover to advocate for your war in response to some event. Even if western intelligence was wise to your false flag efforts, whether the populace believed them would largely break down to party lines. Putin was winning, and he just threw it all away, because he became sloppy and lazy.

I sort of assume this might have been his plan but something forced him to move faster.

TulliusCicero posted:

...Are they really doing mass airdrops in broad daylight, with a massive zone full of anti-air?

I'd really like to see them sending a bunch of soldiers in only so the people in Belarus can overthrow their POS dictator while much of his security apparatus is gone, but I doubt it will happen.

I don't know if jury nullification is a thing in other places, but this would be a great time for it if such a case ever came up in the US.

OgNar posted:

Word is that China has been sending supplies to Russia since the US and the EU has been illegally helping the Ukraine.
Nothing verifiable though.

Are we talking food, consumer goods, .etc or weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir John Falstaff posted:

That said, yes, there is a lot of racism in Eastern Europe, particularly toward non-white migrants/refugees.

It steps all over my empathy, to be honest. Most Americans won't care in the face of seeing whites like them fleeing with roller luggage and learning to use weapons for the first time.