Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't like sun and moon because it's the most imperialist Pokemon. Well actually maybe Arceus is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Gen 10 is inspired by the Conquest of the New World

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gen 11 is American foreign policy in South America

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Srice posted:

It's a pretty unique way to do a post-game that I'd love to see again but alas between the way modern game development is and the fact that Game Freak is kept on a very short leash, we're not likely to see something like that ever again.

They basically did this in Black/White by the way where straight up half of Unova was completely inaccessible until after you beat Ghetsis in his castle on Victory Road. Hell you don't even fight the Champion in the story, you have to go back through the Elite 4 in the post game to challenge him. To top it off all the routes in the post-game are filled with Pokemon from previous generations, when only the brand new ones were available during the story.

So yes, we did see something like that again, it just didn't have the nostalgia factor to it. I'd even say we'll continue to see it going forward in the series, though the problem is it'll almost certainly be as DLC, rather than in the base game like GSC and BW did (and probably for the exact reason you said, too).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Black and White was the first generation where you couldn't get a Pikachu, the series mascot, until post-game. It was incredibly ambitious.

X/Y was the worst 2D to 3D transition since the N64 days.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Black and White is the best generation. The animated sprites gave the Pokemon a ton of character to them.

Can’t wait to be disappointed by the remakes in a few years.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just bought Metroid Prime for GameCube on ebay. So now they're gonna announce that Switch release any time now, just doing my part.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I just bought Metroid Prime for GameCube on ebay. So now they're gonna announce that Switch release any time now, just doing my part.

shoulda got it on wii

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Quantum of Phallus posted:

shoulda got it on wii

I'm left handed and hold an aiming thing ok with my left hand, but I do stick movement for my character with my left hand too. So aiming a lightgun remote thingy with my right hand while also controlling a character with a stick is the only incompatible control scheme I've come across in gaming. But I'm also not a big fan of that style even with my left hand, though I enjoy Time Crisis.

Any Wii re-release like Okami or whatever that gets rid of the Wii-ness is such a blessing. But I am using the Wii to play this GameCube disc, so it's got that going for it.

Also the Wii edition is pricey.

edit: Also finally just went for the switch version of BoTW, since I had it on Wii-U. Getting that 900p and bit better pro controller baby! Now they will announce the Super Turbo BoTW in preperation for BoTW2.

Speaking of frugal re-buys, I have yet to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, since I have the old Wii-U one, but I want it. I need that 40 buck spot.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 28, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Going through Earthbound Beginnings for the first time. I just got to Merryside. I had to grind in a couple points (the zoo!) and I'm still all on my lonesome, but it's a neat game with awful inventory, which I don't think was ever fixed in any game. I'm amazed at how open-world it feels. At least the map is huge and it's incredibly unclear with where I have to go or what to do. I've wasted a lot of time just wandering around but it's good for leveling up so whatever. Definitely a good game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heavy Metal posted:

Ah, but do you have the Metroid Prime Gamecube faceplate to go with it? :smuggo:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah, but do you have the Metroid Prime Gamecube faceplate to go with it? :smuggo:

Wait, what the hell is this?!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
My Metroid Prime faceplate has never left my gamecube since I won it? I don't actually remember how I got it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SuddenCactus posted:

My Metroid Prime faceplate has never left my gamecube since I won it? I don't actually remember how I got it.

I got mine for $20AUD at a Cash Converters. I think someone hosed up, cause eBay says they go for a lot more than that.

Google also says they came with a special-edition black Gamecube.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's badass. Not only is Gamecube indestructible, it looks good too.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got mine for $20AUD at a Cash Converters. I think someone hosed up, cause eBay says they go for a lot more than that.

Google also says they came with a special-edition black Gamecube.

I'm guessing I got it from a Nintendo Aus give away or from a competition in Hyper magazine.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Next Nintendo Console should just be a Gamecube with a screen attached. Then that handle will make more sense!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I'm hyped about Kirby and wish it wasn't almost a whole month away still.

Probably should use the time to actually beat a game or two in my tremendous backlog. :sweatdrop:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
GameCube is the best looking console of all time

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

my hottest gamecube take is that I liked the Orange one the best

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Going through Earthbound Beginnings for the first time. I just got to Merryside. I had to grind in a couple points (the zoo!) and I'm still all on my lonesome, but it's a neat game with awful inventory, which I don't think was ever fixed in any game. I'm amazed at how open-world it feels. At least the map is huge and it's incredibly unclear with where I have to go or what to do. I've wasted a lot of time just wandering around but it's good for leveling up so whatever. Definitely a good game.

I don't have a lot of fun playing EB0 but I love the general vibe of the game. Something about the scale of the areas you go through combined with the way the score sounds on the NES gives the game this very unusual, almost lonely feeling.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

my hottest gamecube take is that I liked the Orange one the best

Neon orange spice was too beautiful for this world.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

hatty posted:

GameCube is the best looking console of all time

Console aesthetics peaked at the Atari 2600. :colbert:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's all been downhill since the magnavox odyssey

Look at that loving thing. The 2600 looked like a piece of AV equipment. The odyssey looked like something from star trek

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Look at that loving thing. The 2600 looked like a piece of AV equipment. The odyssey looked like something from star trek

It looks like something you’d see in a hospital in the early 90s

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

restart my heart using a nintendo switch as a defibrillator

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

flavor.flv posted:

I don’t recall many pieces of AV equipment with classy faux wood paneling. :colbert:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t recall many pieces of AV equipment with classy faux wood paneling. :colbert:

Someone has never looked at any consumer product manufactured from 1971-1980

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My dad had a betamax player that was entirely wood paneling to match his wood paneling record player and wood paneling speakers that matched our wood TV set

The absolute luxury

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 28, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Someone has never looked at any consumer product manufactured from 1971-1980
Faux wood paneling is the height of class and style

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My dad had a betamax player that was entirely wood paneling to match his wood paneling record player and wood paneling speakers that matched our wood TV set

The absolute luxury

"Yeah, I just got the new Switch Heavy. Need a forklift to bring it on the go, but it's technically portable. Wood grain is nice, too."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I would buy the absolute hell out of a wood paneling Switch

e: omg

https://www.gamestop.com/gaming-acc...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 28, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The absolute luxury

Whole thing weighs what? 120?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It looks like something you’d see in a hospital in the early 90s

No, that would be the atari jaguar

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

flavor.flv posted:

loving amazing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

flavor.flv posted:

This would be perfect for the Switch.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Pretty sure my grandparents had that exact same model of television (I’m old). I used to pull those stupid fake drawer handles at the bottom because it so inconceivable that they could possibly be fake. Was convinced there had to be some trick to opening them.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fly Ricky posted:

Pretty sure my grandparents had that exact same model of television (I’m old). I used to pull those stupid fake drawer handles at the bottom because it so inconceivable that they could possibly be fake. Was convinced there had to be some trick to opening them.

Same. I remember my grandpa worked in a factory and one day brought home a magnet that came off a scrapped machine and I loved how it made all the colors go funny. I don't think I permanently damaged it (somehow), but it was definitely fun until they caught me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, until the late 90s, console TVs like that were the mainstay of the living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Junkie Disease posted:

Whole thing weighs what? 120?

:laffo: you gotta go higher than that youngster