Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

selec posted:

Is it a situation like China where everyone young/with it knows how to VPN?

I wouldn't know, sorry.

This is probably one of the most news worthy events of the past... well awhile. Even without twitter and Facebook the information is going to be out there.

Unless there is super widespread blocking of stuff but Im not sure we have seen any indication of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Israel does not gently caress around with its citizens lives. The Israeli air force getting involved would definitely change the calculus. Russia can't just nuke Israel without de facto pulling in NATO (no one is going to let nukes start flying), and Israel is unpopular enough in the rest of the world that other countries can plausibly shrug and say, "What can we do?"

Based on what we've seen, they would tear the Russian air force apart.

The attack itself isn't corroborated yet, and of course this is pretty wild speculation (even for me).

Below is from further down the original source thread. Not quite as bad as originally thought, but not good. Also confirms what Ukraine has been warning - Russians have been attacking civilian cars and busses of people trying to leave

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

The twist of the century would be the Israeli airforce relieving Kyiv

Wasn't Benny and Putin getting along as well? That might have just gone up in total flames

Benny isn't in charge now, it's now Naftali Bennett. But I think they were cooperating as well, although I don't pretend to know much about it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/jason_corcoran/status/1498343208094478354

They aren't going to be able to notice that something bad is happening.

e: Israel traditionally has good relations with Russia, having a large population of Russian-Jewish immigrants and a foreign policy of 'friends with everyone who will speak to us'. They're not going to fight Russia or anything but this might be another trashed relationship.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 28, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

go play outside Skyler posted:

So Navalny is probably dead at this point right? It's been awfully quiet on that side lately

It's only been four days since we last heard from him. It would be a really stupid, self-defeating move to kill him now of all times. That doesn't mean it's not true, but I'm guessing they've just limited press access to him since then.

e: \/\/\/ ah, even less than four days! \/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 28, 2022

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Should also note that Facebook/Twitter are not all that important here in terms of disseminating information. That role is mostly filled by Telegram right now, access to which is unrestricted.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Do you know how much gas idling military equipment consumes? Just sitting there in these traffic jams will consume a material portion of the fuel stocks that is "supposed" to be sent to front line combatants. This is not helpful.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

I hope that's not true; the number of civilian deaths and casualties is already far too much.

Also, I can't imagine that Russia would want to antagonize Israel, which I think has been trying to ride the line of saying "this is bad, Russia" without saying "Russia is bad." Israel's not part of NATO but it's a nuclear nation. I can't imagine they would get involved directly, but why risk it? Also, when half of your narrative is that you're going after neo-Nazis, how does killing Jewish civilians help your argument?

So, all that being said, I'm sure that it is true because Russia has hosed up so many times already.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Majorian posted:

It's only been four days since we last heard from him. It would be a really stupid, self-defeating move to kill him now of all times. That doesn't mean it's not true, but I'm guessing they've just limited press access to him since then.

There was a hearing. today, he is okay and in a good ,mocking mood

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Messaged my Russian friend last night.
I told him I'm sorry for what the sanctions will do to regular people.
And that if he can please tell his friends that Americans don't hate Russians. They're good people.
He replied that everyone is sick of Putin and this war.

We all deserve better.

My GF did the same and her cousin in Moscow mentioned

- complete vacuum of information
- she deletes her messages every night
- people are encouraged to tell on their neighbors if they do not fully support the war
- cannot get any messages over Messenger, or at the very least, too dangerous to use
- lots of anti-putin sentiment, but people afraid to speak up

Don't be mistaken. This is a total and complete dictatorship being put in place. While the world is focused on what's happening in Ukraine, what's happening in Russia may be just as bad or worse

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

So Navalny is probably dead at this point right? It's been awfully quiet on that side lately

There's a very notable process going on to give him another 10-15 years where he is doing some great speeches and several witnesses against him came out saying they were pressured into giving false testimonies

It's been kind of drowned out by the war thing but it's there and Navalny's allies are keeping people updated

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

tracecomplete posted:

The domestic audience does have Internet access.

They can push this off for a bit but it is at the expense of what little investor tolerance could possibly remain for their insane level of risk.

And even with sanctions up, businesses exist that need to buy things not denominated in RUB.

Thanks, I do realize that the domestic audience does have internet access. But I also assume that there are portions of the population that probably receive their information from state news outlets.

Regarding your second point: how much does investor tolerance even matter right now? It seems like any concern about investor tolerance/credibility has already been thrown out the window?

And the third: OK, that makes sense. But the government already forced businesses to hand over a large portion of their foreign currencies and being isolated from the global economy means they can't exchange currencies anyways (except through China perhaps). So, I'm back at the original question of "well, why not just keep it closed to avoid bad optics?"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Israel does not gently caress around with its citizens lives. The Israeli air force getting involved would definitely change the calculus. Russia can't just nuke Israel without de facto pulling in NATO (no one is going to let nukes start flying), and Israel is unpopular enough in the rest of the world that other countries can plausibly shrug and say, "What can we do?"

Based on what we've seen, they would tear the Russian air force apart.

The attack itself isn't corroborated yet, and of course this is pretty wild speculation (even for me).

lmao get real, israel would not be getting involved even if russia blew up a literal bus full of jews

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

surf rock posted:

I hope that's not true; the number of civilian deaths and casualties is already far too much.

Also, I can't imagine that Russia would want to antagonize Israel, which I think has been trying to ride the line of saying "this is bad, Russia" without saying "Russia is bad." Israel's not part of NATO but it's a nuclear nation. I can't imagine they would get involved directly, but why risk it? Also, when half of your narrative is that you're going after neo-Nazis, how does killing Jewish civilians help your argument?

So, all that being said, I'm sure that it is true because Russia has hosed up so many times already.

Russia antagonizes indiscriminately.
And they will deny or project their own crimes onto everyone else.

It reminds me of Семнадцать мгновений весны where their portrayal of the Nazi government was a mirror of the Kremlin/Soviet hierachies.
By isolating yourself all the time you are only capable of reflecting your own nonsense.

Much like the GOP!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

tazjin posted:

Should also note that Facebook/Twitter are not all that important here in terms of disseminating information. That role is mostly filled by Telegram right now, access to which is unrestricted.

why did it catch on?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TulliusCicero posted:

The twist of the century would be the Israeli airforce relieving Kyiv

Wasn't Benny and Putin getting along as well? That might have just gone up in total flames

yes. they're cooperating in syria, and so bennet was scared that being pro-ukrainian might stop that co-operation. Ukraine is the only other country besides isreal with a jewish president and prime minister and it still has the worlds 5th largest population of jews. 6% of Israeli voters are immigrants from ukraine (another 6% from russia) so they had strong ties. Israel was zelensky's suggestion as mediator for talks since its the only country with good ties with both russia and ukraine right now.

Well. was.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Don't be mistaken. This is a total and complete dictatorship being put in place. While the world is focused on what's happening in Ukraine, what's happening in Russia may be just as bad or worse

Now part of me is wondering if the Ukraine invasion is some sort of play to distract from uber-authoritarian fascist bullshit going into effect in Russia that's just not going to go away.

Almost surprised there hasn't been some sort of "Ukrainian" terror response inside Russia's borders to further play on the narrative :tinfoil:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Zhanism posted:

Gonna guess that the IDAF wont be flying to Ukr.

Probably not, but Israel does have a reputation for being a country that doesn’t gently caress around when it’s citizens are targeted; that being said that’s typically because they know the US isn’t going to say poo poo, and has their back absolutely.

The IDAF trying to do sorties in Ukraine seems to be something that maybe they couldn’t count on the US to shield them from. Also, I don’t see a way for the IDAF to do that without tacit NATO permission and flyover rights, which seems unlikely.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 28, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
To be clear because I dont think a lot of people read that tweet thread all the way.

It looks like a single Israeli got shot at a convoy. The entire convoy did not get hit by an airstrike or whatever, which is what I immediately thought when I saw the word strike used.

If it is indeed one person getting shot I hiiighly doubt it will turn into a huge incident.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Putin literally threatening nuclear war: obvious clancychat we cannot discuss this! Baseless speculation!

A convoy of Ukrainian Jewish civilians is blown up in Europe's largest conventional war in nearly a century, with no evidence that they were targeted for being Jewish: Israel doesn't gently caress around, maybe the Israeli Air Force will get involved or mossad Putin!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dominoeffect posted:

Apologies for a possibly silly question but I'm not that knowledgeable about markets and the economy. Since Russia is getting slapped with sanctions and what not, what are the implications of them closing the stock market like they did today? Can they just keep it closed since they're being economically isolated right now and keep the exchange rates frozen to make it look like things are "ok" for the domestic audience?

Fools at home will believe that, but it won't change fiscal reality. Stock exchanges, and market on the whole, work on principles of mutual trust and respect (within boundaries of unspoken rules). Something you can't sell makes you $0 on a sale, so all western assets there were effectively rendered worthless by this move. While they will "regain" value in the future, or can do so if Russians lift the freshly imposed ban on foreign asset sales, their value will already be severely impaired. Furthermore, and perhaps most importantly, this reputation damage will be permanent, and serious investors will not be investing in Russian market until it's extremely obvious that Putin's regime, and everyone propping it, are truly gone.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Remember when the European Commission threatened to kill the Bush presidency over tariffs, getting the States to back off?

It's a rather common mistake to underestimate the EU. The whole structure is very much unconducive to cowboys. There will be deliberations, consensus, agreements, and a knife to the throat.

In the first round of the Trump trade wars, EU retaliated with tariffs aimed at companies inside district represented by ranking Republicans.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rinkles posted:

why did it catch on?

Extremely easy file sharing, good UI, clout of Durov (ousted founder of VK).

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Maybe Israel will stop selling Pegasus or their next dystopian nightmare software to Russia

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ynglaur posted:

Don't fool yourself by thinking "Ugh! buttons and knobs and physical switches! How primitive!" There are very good UX reasons to use such physical controls over touch screens.

Most of the Russian kit was not built in the 60's, though older vehicles were designed then. Being built in the 1980s is not out of the question, though. Even so, there's a lot of internals which can be modernized over the years, with little on the outside to indicate change unless you know what to look for.

Yeah, that's a BTR-80 or maybe BTR-70 from 80's or 70's. It's a big armoured diesel truck to move riflemen to battlefield and it can swim in water. There's not even supposed to be anything magical about it, it's just the maximally utilitarian answer to "how do we get a million conscripts to follow with the tank regiments through West Germany?" It'll keep on truckin'.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Rouble will be having some crazy time when Russians unblock the stock market.

EUR/RUB

USD/RUB

how long can they possible block stock market? I guess there are still other options for trading?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't know about other people, but I'm very uncomfortable with the extent of the sanctions and other ways to assault the Russian economy coming from the West. It seems like this is the sort of thing that will play havoc with the lives of average Russians who didn't tell Putin to invade Ukraine, and I don't even know if it will actually dissuade the Russian people from supporting their leaders. It seems like it just confirms a lot of the rhetoric about Russia being under assault from the west, especially when somewhere like Saudi Arabia doesn't get anything close to this in their brutal invasion of Yemen.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Some links I've found across today that I haven't seen posted yet (apologies if it did and I forgot).

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498234764624605186

(thread)
https://twitter.com/halbritz/status/1498323387768258560

(thread)
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1498336085943930883

https://twitter.com/BondHack/status/1498268014394974213

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498335877453463558

Russians retreating from Sumy on foot, after abandoning their vehicles
https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/status/1498330052009807880

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukrainian-soldiers-on-snake-island-are-alive-navy-says/

quote:

Ukrainian soldiers who were defending Snake Island are “alive and well,” the Ukrainian navy announced Monday.

In a Facebook post, the navy said that the military personnel defending Snake Island, also known as Zmiinyi Island, in the Black Sea are alive and in Russian captivity. “We are very happy to learn that our brothers are alive and well,” the post said.

Snake Island is small but strategically important for the defense of Ukraine’s territorial waters and among its southernmost settlements. Russia destroyed the island’s infrastructure including lighthouses, towers, antennas and seized a civilian ship, the Facebook post said.

As a result, communication with the island was cut off. “Repeated attempts to contact the staff and find out their fate have been in vain. And the constant shelling by warships and aircraft of the Russian Federation has prevented us from delivering aid to the marines.”

Last week, in a display of defiance, a Ukrainian soldier told the Russian warship that came to attack them: “Go gently caress yourself.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy had last week said that all soldiers defending the island had been killed. “All the defenders of Snake Island died, but they did not surrender,” Zelenskyy said in a video posted on Telegram.

https://www.facebook.com/ganna.maliar/posts/2099316190227412

quote:

🇺🇦President Zelensky announced the formation of a new unit - "International Legion"
We already have several thousand statements from foreign citizens who wish to join the resistance to Russian occupiers and the protection of world security from the Putin regime.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498058553881513991

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1498127761382477826

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1498017173792514051

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1498194178831835139

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498190310803128321

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1498191541675958273

Fastest vote in the history of our parliament. (this is not a compliment)
https://twitter.com/edgarsrinkevics/status/1498203411309002753

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1498233481213751299

Supposedly you can eavesdrop on Russian comms, in some limited capacity.
https://twitter.com/RuslanLeviev/status/1498083509952335872

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498269150543810563

https://www.reuters.com/business/maersk-considers-suspending-all-shipments-russia-2022-02-28/

quote:

COPENHAGEN/LONDON, Feb 28 (Reuters) - Ocean Network Express (ONE) on Monday suspended container bookings to and from Russia hours after Maersk said it was considering doing the same in response to Western sanctions on Moscow following its invasion of Ukraine.

Russia's assault on its neighbour, which Moscow says is a "special operation", is the biggest state-to-state invasion in Europe since World War Two.

"Booking acceptance to and from St Petersburg, Russia is suspended with immediate effect until further notice whilst we evaluate the operational feasibility,” Singapore-headquartered ONE said in a customer advisory on Monday.

https://twitter.com/Lazar_Berman/status/1498324685825662979

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 28, 2022

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

OctaMurk posted:

Putin literally threatening nuclear war: obvious clancychat we cannot discuss this! Baseless speculation!

A convoy of Ukrainian Jewish civilians is blown up in Europe's largest conventional war in nearly a century, with no evidence that they were targeted for being Jewish: Israel doesn't gently caress around, maybe the Israeli Air Force will get involved or mossad Putin!

Yeah, my kneejerk post wasn't very well thought out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This can't go on, right? Every minute Russia stays in Ukraine its economy collapses. This is just not sustainable, right?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Zelensky and the Ukrainians are pretty loving badass. I find them inspiring. :unsmith:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

This can't go on, right? Every minute Russia stays in Ukraine its economy collapses. This is just not sustainable, right?

It's impossible to tell if it is sustainable. It likely is, since they can still trade their fossil fuels more or less without restrictions, but even early and arguably optimistic predictions suggest -20% recession for 2022 Q2.

Dwesa posted:

how long can they possible block stock market? I guess there are still other options for trading?

They can do that forever, only with complex and unpredictable consequences. Right now, they're basically holding bunch of foreign money hostage, and, as far as I can tell, foreigners won't have a way around that for the time being.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

selec posted:

Is it a situation like China where everyone young/with it knows how to VPN?

Telsa Cola posted:

I wouldn't know, sorry.

This is probably one of the most news worthy events of the past... well awhile. Even without twitter and Facebook the information is going to be out there.

Unless there is super widespread blocking of stuff but Im not sure we have seen any indication of that.

VPNs are illegal in China and they've been handing out jail sentences to people that try to provide them. The laws are selectively enforced to an extent, so foreign tourists will largely be exempt from prosecution. Chinese-American Olympian Eileen Gu was openly criticized for suggesting that Chinese citizens should just learn how to use VPNs, because it is not easy or risk-free.

https://www.protocol.com/china/eileen-gu-olympics-vpn-china

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

If a Russian financial institution goes under, what happens to States-side collateral of its debtors? Asking for a... friend...

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

To be clear because I dont think a lot of people read that tweet thread all the way.

It looks like a single Israeli got shot at a convoy. The entire convoy did not get hit by an airstrike or whatever, which is what I immediately thought when I saw the word strike used.

If it is indeed one person getting shot I hiiighly doubt it will turn into a huge incident.

Sounds like they shot indiscriminately at the vehicle(s) and managed to kill one person. Israel isn't going to get "involved" per se but it certainly won't help the formerly friendly relationship of the two countries that has already been fraying as the conflict has gone on.

Also, the common reaction of the ultra-Orthodox Jewish community (as opposed to the rest of us who are all in the gently caress Putin camp), at least in the US, has been either "both sides have been awful to Jews, let them fight it out" or "Putin hasn't been as bad to the Jews and he says he's going to take out neo-Nazis, let him win"" but actually targeting a fleeing Israeli civilian might shift the sentiment.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aramis posted:

If a Russian financial institution goes under, what happens to States-side collateral of its debtors? Asking for a... friend...

Your friend has my thoughts and prayers.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Agricola Frigidus posted:

It's a rather common mistake to underestimate the EU. The whole structure is very much unconducive to cowboys. There will be deliberations, consensus, agreements, and a knife to the throat.

In the first round of the Trump trade wars, EU retaliated with tariffs aimed at companies inside district represented by ranking Republicans.

See also: Brexit and Northern Ireland. The EU approach gets less attention than the UK because it's the result of a bunch of extremely long and boring meetings rather than one or two main characters, but while the Brexit guys were drumming up populism, the EU quietly developed a very firm line on Northern Ireland and then stuck to it throughout come hell or high water.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I don't know about other people, but I'm very uncomfortable with the extent of the sanctions and other ways to assault the Russian economy coming from the West. It seems like this is the sort of thing that will play havoc with the lives of average Russians who didn't tell Putin to invade Ukraine, and I don't even know if it will actually dissuade the Russian people from supporting their leaders. It seems like it just confirms a lot of the rhetoric about Russia being under assault from the west, especially when somewhere like Saudi Arabia doesn't get anything close to this in their brutal invasion of Yemen.

As a Russian citizen I welcome the whole volume of the sanctions because otherwise people wouldnt get it.
We all benefit from empire, our labor has built those Grads that bomb our neighbor. There should be retribution and condemnations in UN dont work. Let us be a pariah state until things get sorted out.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

khwarezm posted:

It's reasonable to be concerned. However, I, admittedly not an expert at international relations, don't know what other non-military measures one can take to incentivize Russia to reverse course. It's a situation with a lot of bad choices and you're basically looking for the least horrible option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

khwarezm posted:

I'm more uncomfortable with invasions that aren't met with sanctions.

I know I'm probably dreaming, but I'd actually like this to be the norm from now on for any invasion into sovereign territory.