Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

Can someone explain to me how we can just openly supply Ukraine with weapons and aid the way we are doing? How is it not a major escalation and provocation? Yeah, it was done in all the proxy wars in the past but was it this flagrant?

Russia is all feathers, no meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

how the gently caress are they this bad at this

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Despera posted:

I mean youve seen the lines on the road. Doubt the russians would be bringing tractors with the invasion. Though could be a russian sympathizer.

The guy who posted the video of the blue tractor with the z marking said it was a local who painted it to confuse the russians or as a joke but as someone else stated, it may be a way to get friendly fired as well unless the guy is a known local.

Another one that I found:

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1498254276711391235?s=20&t=GYKkKPXebutIZJn9zYaiMQ

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I am beyond shocked they that Musk actually came through in a timely manner.

It is completely out of character, but a fantastic development.

Like anything Musk-involved we'll see if it actually works.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

tractor fanatic posted:

Can someone explain to me how we can just openly supply Ukraine with weapons and aid the way we are doing? How is it not a major escalation and provocation? Yeah, it was done in all the proxy wars in the past but was it this flagrant?

That's just how the game has always been played I guess.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

tractor fanatic posted:

Ukraine is not subject to war- it's subject to 'special military operation' per the Russians and there's no problem with supplying arms to a sovereign state, especially one not at war.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Shes Not Impressed posted:

They have nukes

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

Countries do it clandestinely when they want to maintain plausible deniability so as to avoid pissing someone off.

In this case, keeping it secret is pointless, so why bother?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tractor fanatic posted:

Bombing cities is also kind-of flagrant, so we just broke Russia's knees (economy) and pulled our dick out.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I mean to say the currently committed troops outnumber the Ukranian ones and appear to be able to maintain a wide front while the Ukranians have to pick their fights.

Speculation, but I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ukrainians outnumber the Russians in many areas, that might not count so much out in the open and if the Russians can make their advantage in airpower (especially this), armor, artillery and missiles count, but fighting in cities, yeah, it might count there.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 28, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

tractor fanatic posted:

In Korea, the People's Liberation Army straight up invaded, and Soviet pilots were openly battling Americans in the skies. So there's precedent for pretty blatant intervention that isn't called that.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

They have nukes

So what? Clancychat is verbotten here for a reason.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They forgot to say "in Europe", which is how this was talked about in the lead up to it.

Also, about the aid - I wonder if this tweet is of significance
https://twitter.com/OSINTNS/status/1498359109095239686

Finally the rogue A-10 pilot got into Ukrainian airspace

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Current-gen, the crew has a decent chance of surviving. Also depends on things like reactive armor. And yeah, you can still destroy tanks in the modern age with the right soldier, equipment, and tactics, but I'm kind of shadowboxing with anyone who goes into hysterics every time they see a burning tank on the news, declaring the MBT to be dead when I don't see the same sentiments every time a chopper gets clipped with an RPG-7.

What about drones that can't be seen by AA that are picking off hundreds of armored vehicles that are having to parade down small road networks to avoid the mud they are getting stuck in?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

tractor fanatic posted:

Hell it was more flagrant in the past. In the Korean War there was actual Soviet pilots on the other side, and in the Vietnam War there were Soviet SAM operators. Not only that, but the Soviets were sending MiG-21s to Vietnam, which would be like the USA donating new block F-16Vs instead of ATGMs. Thats besides the fact that we also sent Stingers to Afghanistan.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

tractor fanatic posted:

They have nukes

So does everyone else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Preoptopus posted:

how the gently caress are they this bad at this

What are you implying? I'm worried that might be a Polish bullet convoy on fire or something.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

tractor fanatic posted:

In Vietnam it 100% was by both the PRC and USSR.

And the US, obviously.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Pre-invasion, it was the largest force amassed on the border of another country in modern history. Post-invasion, it's of limited size and likely to fizzle out shortly.

Didn't know modern history started in 2004.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

OctaMurk posted:

Hell it was more flagrant in the past. In the Korean War there was actual Soviet pilots on the other side, and in the Vietnam War there were Soviet SAM operators. Not only that, but the Soviets were sending MiG-21s to Vietnam, which would be like the USA donating new block F-16Vs instead of ATGMs. Thats besides the fact that we also sent Stingers to Afghanistan.

For a few years during the Vietnam War, there were more than 100,000 PLA soldiers in North Vietnam, manning AA defenses and doing logistical duties. The USAF very deliberately avoided bombing the northernmost chunk of North Vietnam for this reason.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

tractor fanatic posted:

They have nukes

That they absolutely will not use. Nobody is going to end the world over Ukraine.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Flesnolk posted:

In Korea, the People's Liberation Army straight up invaded, and Soviet pilots were openly battling Americans in the skies. So there's precedent for pretty blatant intervention that isn't called that.

In that case it was the "people's volunteer army", and I think the Soviets denied it was them, even if it obviously was

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think that one of the things this whole experience has showcased is that the whole concept of 'super powers' might be outdated. It's obviously still possible that Russia might win this conflict over a long enough scale but the conventional calculus of soldiers, munitions, and overwhelming force just isn't what it used to be.

As an American I've been indoctrinated from birth to believe any world superpower can end a conflict in hours if they want to. Iraq obviously damaged that image but seeing it in a European country is surreal.

Obviously this doesn't tell us anything specific about America or China, but now I find myself questioning the whole brand of super powers. I actually find that compelling, and kind of hopeful.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

All borscht no blyat

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Flesnolk posted:

There are like 500 pages since I checked this thread last night, so this one might've been posted already, but what do people think about this thread? It feels like an interesting analysis, and a more sober one than most I've been seeing.

Well, everything Twitter says I should read after it is at best Fox News and at worst straight Putin propaganda, so with that large grain of salt...

It's...okay-ish? The author is canny enough to read a diagram and understanding "deep battle requires multiple echelons" but is not canny enough to understand it also requires coordination of fires, combined arms, and an exploitation phase. The operations in the east of Ukraine have the fingerprints of deep battle in that they're trying to encircle the Ukrainian forces there, but the pushes toward Kiev and Kharkiv are not as much.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

greazeball posted:

All borscht no blyat

Don't want to empty quote but this is :yeah:

And to add, hearing family is still okay in Chernihiv.

Cafe guy sent me video of soldiers using the cafe to learn how to field strip and operate a weapon. Looks like they were recording it to spread around.
And also serve soldiers delicious sandwiches.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1498407101349072897

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Like anything Musk-involved we'll see if it actually works.

He still actually sent the drat things to Ukraine. By Musk promise standards that's pretty impressive.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

So what? Clancychat is verbotten here for a reason.

Pointing out Russia has nukes is not "Clancychat" and any analysis of Russian foreign policy (or the foreign policy of any country with nukes) that doesn't take their deterrence into account is going to be bad analysis.

pippy posted:

So does everyone else.

Pray tell, who is "everyone"?

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

That they absolutely will not use. Nobody is going to end the world over Ukraine.

This is almost certainly (hopefully!) true, but flippantly handwaving away nukes as if they don't matter seems egregiously myopic.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Winning the invasion eventually doesn't even mean Russia won in a real sense. People acting like insurgency isn't a thing and "Russia bigger = must win eventually!" is just a huge :wtc: in TYOOL 2022.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What are you implying? I'm worried that might be a Polish bullet convoy on fire or something.

I was referring to Russians creating their own traffic jams and getting obliterated. It reminds me of thoes zombie killer phone games.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Speculation, but I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ukrainians outnumber the Russians in many areas, that might not count so much out in the open and if the Russians can make their advantage in airpower (especially this), armor, artillery and missiles count, but fighting in cities, yeah, it might count there.

Partly I think it probably depends what you count--frontline troops? Reserves? Militias with AKs and RPGs? Civilians with molotovs?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He still actually sent the drat things to Ukraine. By Musk promise standards that's pretty impressive.

How long before he has a meltdown and calls Zelenskyy a pedo?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Preoptopus posted:

I was referring to Russians creating their own traffic jams and getting obliterated. It reminds me of thoes zombie killer phone games.

Next dashcam footage compilation is gonna be lit

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1498393869188313097

This is what will make Putin realize he's gone too far.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

tractor fanatic posted:

In that case it was the "people's volunteer army", and I think the Soviets denied it was them, even if it obviously was

A part of it is that pretty much all of the EU has committed to it, even Finland and Sweden are sending actual weapons and stuff which is pretty much unprecedented at least for Finland. Russia is a bully, but they'll have a hard time responding to the entirety of the West doing it, nukes or no. Maybe they'll do some economic nonsense, but they have their hands full with their own internal economy imploding due to the sanctions. I doubt even Putin is prepared for escalating this to a full-out Europe-wide active war.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TipTow posted:

Pointing out Russia has nukes is not "Clancychat" and any analysis of Russian foreign policy (or the foreign policy of any country with nukes) that doesn't take their deterrence into account is going to be bad analysis.

Pray tell, who is "everyone"?

This is almost certainly (hopefully!) true, but flippantly handwaving away nukes as if they don't matter seems egregiously myopic.

Bringing them up implies you think they'll be used, which is straight Clancychat. No one's going to use them, so they're irrelevant.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Preoptopus posted:

Oh, that, yes, rather embarrassing to see. The linked tweet though was to point at a fire on an unrelated highway that should be under Ukrainian control.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Thread moves fast. Few notes:

1) This war might have elevated russian deaths-to-injury counts, because there's apparently been a lot of times when a transport is killed it still has its troops onboard (since they're staying in safe metal box and are not out screening). Just something to factor in when considering losses.
2) Haven't seen it mentioned here, but Russia's decided to declare a stock market/bank holiday lasting until at least the 5th in an attempt to avoid dealing with the sanction hangover/reality. So for everyone wondering how long they can keep things locked down--that's a good indicator.
3) Russian oligarchs just lost another tax haven: https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1498407101349072897

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Also, also...Keep in mind Ukraine is under general mobilization. This war is still very heavily in Russia's favor, but the longer they drag this out, the more time territorial defense units have to form and train. As we're seeing, a few dozen highly-motivated light infantry can do a lot of damage. Russia does not have a large enough force to lock down all of Ukraine. They certainly have enough to lock down parts of it, but as someone pointed out: if they've suffered even half the KIA reported, that's a huge percentage of soldiers for less than a week into what could turn into a very long fight.