Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Raised By Birds posted:

Bob Gorrell

Way to color inside the lines.

How does an adult human get paid for this kind of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Can we make an exception for the laziest non-gorrell cartoon category for the one made with a jpg and a highlighter?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Has Putin show any kind of communist leanings? Yeah, I know he was a KGB guy in the Cold War days, but he’s been running the show for a couple decades now and hasn’t exactly been trying to dismantle capitalism.

And yes, I understand cartoonists are creatively bankrupt and are only bringing up the USSR because Thing Bad.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gosh Obama sure has egg on his face because things aren’t exactly the same they were a loving decade ago

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Some see the world as half empty.
I see it half full of piss.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Raised By Birds posted:

Bob Gorrell

Way to color inside the lines.

Ukraine is an imminent threat bent on world domination. A Bad Cartoon.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Korthal posted:

Can we make an exception for the laziest non-gorrell cartoon category for the one made with a jpg and a highlighter?

Seems unsporting. We gave him the lifetime achievement award in the first place because it was just too unfair to make others compete alongside him.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Raised By Birds posted:

Gary Markstein

Bit surprised to see Belarus in solidarity with Ukraine there

Edit: and Novaya Zemlya, for that matter

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 1, 2022

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Is there a good write-up anywhere on whatever the gently caress happened to/with Sinfest? It's loving fascinating. Like I remember back in high school my best friend reading it and it was just some regular webcomic back then, notable only for having pretty slick art. Then I remember years back seeing it in these threads and that Ishida had gone all in on feminism and poo poo, and apparently lost his mind, then later still popping back in and finding he's now full on reactionary radfem lunacy.

Like what the hell happened and how? And how does he still have an audience?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Gosh Obama sure has egg on his face because things aren’t exactly the same they were a loving decade ago
I'm just glad whoever was president between Obama's term and now took this seriously (unlike Obama!) and undertook the necessary steps to keep Putin in check and Ukraine supported.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Raised By Birds posted:

Lalo Alcaraz

Robert Ariail
Double nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrells

I'd also nominate the Gorrell in that post, but, well

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is there a good write-up anywhere on whatever the gently caress happened to/with Sinfest? It's loving fascinating. Like I remember back in high school my best friend reading it and it was just some regular webcomic back then, notable only for having pretty slick art. Then I remember years back seeing it in these threads and that Ishida had gone all in on feminism and poo poo, and apparently lost his mind, then later still popping back in and finding he's now full on reactionary radfem lunacy.

This is about as good as it gets:

wizzardstaff posted:

For anyone who can't get enough of Sinfest Sunday, follow this developing thread for highlights from the last two decades.

https://twitter.com/bitterkarella/status/1498104642881798149

We could alternately see if Xander77777 is interested in working up a profile.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That last Gorrell should go straight to the OP, no nominations neccessary, holy poo poo son :psyduck: I think we're done, we literally couldn't get any lazier than that. Absolutely amazing.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Was giddy to see how the guys who draw super sexy macho Putin with the superior mega heterosexual army spin the Ukrainian war, when the attack has stalled hard and the Russian economy is in shithouse thanks to the "useless" sanctions and even Trump officialy condemns the attack but forgot they are just going to skip the whole thing and going to talk about demented stinky Biden. :mad:

HootTheOwl posted:

Some see the world as half empty.
I see it half full of piss.
:hmmyes:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kikas posted:

That last Gorrell should go straight to the OP, no nominations neccessary, holy poo poo son :psyduck: I think we're done, we literally couldn't get any lazier than that. Absolutely amazing.
If we started a "Laziest Gorrell" nom it would result in at least 50 noms per year

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raised By Birds posted:

Gary Markstein

The world is Swedish now.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pants Donkey posted:

Has Putin show any kind of communist leanings? Yeah, I know he was a KGB guy in the Cold War days, but he’s been running the show for a couple decades now and hasn’t exactly been trying to dismantle capitalism.

And yes, I understand cartoonists are creatively bankrupt and are only bringing up the USSR because Thing Bad.

Yah, left=communism=bad, so if Putin bad then Putin=communist. That's as far as it goes I am afraid.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mordaedil posted:

Oh no

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pants Donkey posted:

Putin's Russia is pretty much exactly the country Republicans want America to be. It is a "democracy" but only votes for Putin are counted, the media isn't allowed to criticize his party, being gay is illegal and the government is propped up by a bunch of deeply criminal billionaires. It's no coincidence that Trump floated the idea of eliminating term limits after visiting Poots.

You'll notice the only people still referring to Russia as communist or Soviet are political cartoonists and Twitter nobodies, because nobody cares enough to clue them in.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The short answer is that it used to be sort of standard online dudebro humor, full of "ironic" racism and sexism and cheesecake art. The things that made it stand out were a crisp clean presentation and a regular update schedule. At some point people started getting tired of that particular brand of humor, and Ishida tried to get with the times, and went full Male Feminist. That is when you performatively say you're a feminist now and invoke a couple lines like they are magic words, but do nothing to examine or address your own biases, and expect accolades and adulation for your brave stand.

No one really bought his turn to feminism and he'd have to do some actual introspection and hard work to win over that crowd, but the TERFs found him, and having TERF friends is this wonderful thing where you can be as misogynist as you want, so long as you make sure you hate trans people the most, and people will still call you a feminist and assure you that the actual feminists are the real woman haters. Once you find that rabbit hole of being a bigot who is telling themself and each other that they're the real progressives, there is basically no limit to how reactionary you can get.

It's the dudebro -> Male Feminist -> TERF -> fascist pipeline, and Ishida may be the clearest example of it there is. For the longer answer, there is the cool twitter thread someone already linked.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mordaedil posted:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Save me some meatballs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Is Romney one of the good ones now? I thought he was a spineless RINO and the new Benedict Arnold?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Bit surprised to see Belarus in solidarity with Ukraine there

Edit: and Novaya Zemlya, for that matter

I also thought that Venezuela, Syria and Central African Republic supported the independence of Donetsk and Luhansk. Oh well.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 1, 2022

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Holy poo poo, that Gorrell - he literally grabbed the first Google image result for 'world'. Not only that, but rather than grab the high resolution image off of the Wikipedia article it links to, he simply took the Google Image search thumbnail and stretched it out.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Raised By Birds posted:

Clay Jones

Gary Varvel

That's a really enjoyable Putin. Look at those titties!
Also, the invasion of Ukraine is CLASSIC Leninism.

fool of sound posted:

How does an adult human get paid for this kind of work

It started out as a proper job, then newspapers went into terminal decline.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kikas posted:

It's not even the laziest ever Gorrell. He has to Google an image and copy paste and stuff

He got his lifetime achievement award because he kept publishing a blank white or black panel labeled with something like "reasons to reelect Obama"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm going to quote myself from another thread regarding this

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lately I've been hearing way too many people, from pundits to my own wife, saying "Oh man, I guess we were all wrong to laugh at Mitt Romney."

No. No we weren't. And not only is this war not evidence of Mittens being right but is pretty strong argument about just how wrong he was.

Russia's military is far weaker and rotten than we knew.
Russia's economy is weak and vulnerable, and their attempt to threaten others is only going to make Europe accelerate a shift away from Russian energy.
Russia has no friends. Even Kazakhstan doesn't want any part of this. The best they can do are puppet states and some weak sauce spite-support from India.*
Russia cannot challenge us militarily, economically, or politically. They can be a big pain in the rear end, but "number one geopolitical rival?" That is laughable. China can challenge us militarily (as far as we can tell). They are definitely challenging us economically and politically. Romney was dead wrong and this is proof.

* India is generally, rightfully salty about how we treat them. NATO/Western democracies don't treat them like the "world's largest democracy", like a peer, and like a partner. We more or less ignore them until it's time to try to get an alliance to counter China or Russia. They don't trust the West and they feel disrespected and they aren't wrong.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kikas posted:

VitalSigns posted:

It's not even the laziest ever Gorrell. He has to Google an image and copy paste and stuff

He got his lifetime achievement award because he kept publishing a blank white or black panel labeled with something like "reasons to reelect Obama"

Exactly what VS said.
Gorrell turns in several blank pages a year and gets paid actual legal human currency as a cartoonist for it.
He's quite possibly the smartest cartoonist in this thread, by that metric.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Maybe it's just me but his blank cartoons somehow feel less lazy than ones like this Ukraine one. The blank ones at least included coming up with some kind of joke, even if bad, where the punchline is "the answer is nothing, lmao gottem". This one is a lazy Google and an even lazier image edit and the caption is just... "Ukraine".

It's not saying anything. Dude straight up "a thing happened" the Russia-Ukraine war. That's advanced low effort.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Maybe it's just me but his blank cartoons somehow feel less lazy than ones like this Ukraine one. The blank ones at least included coming up with some kind of joke, even if bad, where the punchline is "the answer is nothing, lmao gottem". This one is a lazy Google and an even lazier image edit and the caption is just... "Ukraine".

It's not saying anything. Dude straight up "a thing happened" the Russia-Ukraine war. That's advanced low effort.

Nah I also think that this is the case. Like a blank cartoon does require some thought put into it.
That's why it bothers me so, this is not even "I don't have my homework but I'm gonna fake it", but just "oh poo poo this is due tomorrow and it's already midnight, time to whip it out in 3 minutes", hence the low-res thumbnail quality of the globe and highlighting outside of lines.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gorrell has been in rare form all month. Remember Ukaine?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wasn't that what Dolly Parton always said? "It takes a lot of effort to be this lazy."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oil, Gas, and the third, separate thing, Fossil.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I don't know what you're talking about. My car gets five miles to the trilobite.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Oil, Gas, and the third, separate thing, Fossil.

Olive oil, Hydrogen gas, and Fossil fuels.

Checkmate, liberals. Owned again. :smug:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

oobey posted:

Olive oil, Hydrogen gas, and Fossil fuels.

Checkmate, liberals. Owned again. :smug:

The dreaded OOOEC (Organization of Olive Oil Exporting Countries) embargo in the 70s ruined italian food for a generation.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Neito posted:

The dreaded OOOEC (Organization of Olive Oil Exporting Countries) embargo in the 70s ruined italian food for a generation.

Look at this extra virgin.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Arin sums up my views on this strip at the timestamp indicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d74zLbcQ-Cc&t=31s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mikl posted:

Yes, this is an actual thing (some) transphobes believe. I'm not even kidding.
Huh. I've argued "hey, if you're a sci-fi nerd that's cool with transhumanism, trans people really shouldn't be a big deal" a few times, and never got anywhere. Maybe that's why.