Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brains
May 12, 2004

psydude posted:

Speaking of, how do we think things are going for ol' Snowden right about now? I completely forgot that guy was still in Russia.

last i saw his transformation into a corncob was nearly complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

psydude posted:

Speaking of, how do we think things are going for ol' Snowden right about now? I completely forgot that guy was still in Russia.

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1498049577131208705

Last tweet seems to be in high spirits, not doing the usual sarcasm about the west and how nice russia is tho

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SlowBloke posted:

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1498049577131208705

Last tweet seems to be in high spirits, not doing the usual sarcasm about the west and how nice russia is tho

Think he misses Hawaii right now?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

E. Explosion from yesterday.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think he made well clear where his allegiances are, even if for morally correct motives, he is now pretty much a puppet much like Seagal to trot around to make Russia look like not an authoritarian cleptocracy to westeners. If he is not aware of being a propaganda item, he is an idiot.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1498393087952961541

Someone come get their dumbfuck dad before he gets hurt.

Texas twang: “not bad ukraine. You made Russia use 10% of its power”

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sorry to link to Reddit, but have some feel-good footage of a Russian helicopter taking a hit and nose-diving into water.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/t43smn/two_russian_helicopters_downed_near_kyiv/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

I think he made well clear where his allegiances are, even if for morally correct motives, he is now pretty much a puppet much like Seagal to trot around to make Russia look like not an authoritarian cleptocracy to westeners. If he is not aware of being a propaganda item, he is an idiot.

I'm not following the guy, so I don't know what previous statement he's referring to but I read that tweet as "There are severe restrictions on what I can say, but I've been an enormous idiot about Russia."

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

psydude posted:

Sorry to link to Reddit, but have some feel-good footage of a Russian helicopter taking a hit and nose-diving into water.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/t43smn/two_russian_helicopters_downed_near_kyiv/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Saw it on twitter earlier but it's unclear when or where it happened. Sound really is justified though

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1498595129686474755?t=COR_rjCtTqLoI0w8W6saQg&s=19

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I thought that was an ocean for a second. The Dneiper is pretty drat big.

With all the death and destruction it feels selfish to feel bad about this, but I really wish I'd been able to go my trip to Kiev back in March of 2020.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm not following the guy, so I don't know what previous statement he's referring to but I read that tweet as "There are severe restrictions on what I can say, but I've been an enormous idiot about Russia."

His previous tweets before the conflict were the usual “useful idiot” noise that didn’t said much of importance, people knows he is in Russia and has secondary channels with his propaganda handlers so he gets extra messages than usual RN. Apparently he doesn’t like the spotlight anymore

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
FYI - if you leave "automatically parse URLs' checked, your post will add [url] to twitter and they will get embedded. Putting spoiler tags around them does nothing. You have to make sure they do not have the [url] tag.

For example:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lol Snowden is going to commit suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head three times with uranium tipped bullets

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

SlowBloke posted:

If he is not aware of being a propaganda item, he is an idiot.

It was always this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498638623125774339

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Snowden’s interview with Jon Oliver really broke him. “Nobody remembers who you are, dude. Nothing changed.”

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

SlowBloke posted:

https://gizmodo.com/edward-snowden-is-a-loving-idiot-1789039598

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Citation needed?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Uhhhh.... This would be the proverbial "it" correct?

Ukraine being a full EU member would drastically change the boundaries of this war, right?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I've seen quite some unsubstantiated claims from that Twitter account. Take it with a bucketful of salt

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ASAPI posted:

Uhhhh.... This would be the proverbial "it" correct?

Ukraine being a full EU member would drastically change the boundaries of this war, right?

I'm 100% certain that even if the EU really is willing to grant Ukraine membership, it will be contingent on the war being over.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’ll probably also take forever.

brains
May 12, 2004

ok now i just don't know what the gently caress is going on with this story, saw it refuted earlier but now :question:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/28/ukrainian-pilots-arrive-in-poland-to-pick-up-donated-fighter-jets-00012560

Politico posted:

Ukrainian pilots arrive in Poland to pick up donated fighter jets

Ukrainian pilots have arrived in Poland to start the process of taking control of fighter planes they expect to be donated by European countries, a Ukrainian government official told POLITICO.

The potential transfer of older Russian-made planes to be used in combat against Russian forces could be the most significant moment yet in a wave of promised arms transfers over the past 24 hours that includes thousands of anti-armor rockets, machine guns, artillery and other equipment.

It’s not clear just yet what countries are donating the jets, but European Union security chief Josep Borrell pledged over the weekend that the EU would fund the transfer the fighter planes from multiple countries.

Borrell walked that back slightly on Monday, acknowledging that any transfers wouldn’t come from the EU itself, but would instead be donated “bilaterally” by individual EU countries.

Representatives from the Polish and Slovakian governments did not immediately respond to a request for comment, while Bulgarian Prime Minister Kiril Petkov on Monday said he had rejected the request.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Haven't been able to find any confirmation for a "yes" vote for special admission into full membership status in the EU yet, not on the parlaments webpage or anything else. Currently the livestream shows a polish member haranguing Germany. Only vote on the docket is about a resolution concerning the war.
A little strange this.

In the meantime while we wait, have a RFE/RL interview with the crying soldiers' mom

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1498641628478726149?t=Jwv-92K-f46nuoY4EQNuTw&s=19

E. I mean it goes without saying that gaining membership is normally a half/double decade long process wich a rather extensive amount of reforms and tests. The official start of the admission process bureaucracy is usually a very big, well publicised, thing. Again,

it's a little strange.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 1, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

-Anders posted:

I've seen quite some unsubstantiated claims from that Twitter account. Take it with a bucketful of salt

I believe it means what it's saying quite literally.

They've accepted the application and are putting a process into motion.

Not that membership is a given, or happening right now.

That's farther than they used to be.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Haven't been able to find any confirmation for a "yes" vote for special admission into full membership status in the EU yet, not on the parlaments webpage or anything else. Currently the livestream shows a polish member haranguing Germany. Only vote on the docket is about a resolution concerning the war.
A little strange this.

In the meantime while we wait, have a RFE/RL interview with the crying soldiers' mom

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1498641628478726149?t=Jwv-92K-f46nuoY4EQNuTw&s=19

While I do want the russians to get their poo poo pushed in, I feel bad for the conscripts and kids like him who just got thrown into something they were totally unaware of. When I joined the army I was fully aware that I would deploy to a place where we invaded illegally and the people there didn't like us, at least I knew that. These kids are just that, sucks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pine Cone Jones posted:

While I do want the russians to get their poo poo pushed in, I feel bad for the conscripts and kids like him who just got thrown into something they were totally unaware of. When I joined the army I was fully aware that I would deploy to a place where we invaded illegally and the people there didn't like us, at least I knew that. These kids are just that, sucks.

Being a Russian PoW in Ukraine just seems like a deferred death, given that Russia probably isn't going to think twice about raining thermobaric rockets down upon areas where they're being held.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

psydude posted:

Being a Russian PoW in Ukraine just seems like a deferred death, given that Russia probably isn't going to think twice about raining thermobaric rockets down upon areas where they're being held.

Beyond that, whenever they get sent back (or picked up by their own forces), I don’t think the Russians will have any leniency on those who they think surrendered.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Can some of you watch this video and give me your thoughts?

I find it highly likely that he's correct. He posits that we're going to see a spike in gas and food prices, and that there will be second- and third-order consequences to shortages around the world because of the Russo-Ukranian war. That there will be scarcity of certain food items, higher prices, shortages of fertilizer due to lower production of LNG (fertilizer being a byproduct of that) leading to lower crop yields. He says that some of these things are already built in and are already happening, and he says that larger effects are likely, but not guaranteed.

I have my own biases on prepping, and I tend to have a pessimistic view on things, maybe due to my anxiety. Prepping helps allay my fears of not being able to support my family in a disaster, man made or natural. So given these biases that I have, I'm wondering if any of you guys think this guy is unreasonable, or fear-mongering. He's pretty much the least fear mongering, least clickbaity, least chuddy prepping channel on YouTube. But maybe I am allowing my biases to blind me.

Here's his video. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts
https://youtu.be/SCdkemFFvVk

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Pine Cone Jones posted:

It increasingly seems the Russian attack strategy hinged on the idea that a zerg rush of barely trained kids in APCs and tanks would scare the Ukrainian defense enough to surrender. Then the Russian military could airlift elite units of paratroopers to arrest the government while the kids mill about outside and take tiktoks saying "lol just overthrew the Ukrainian government."

The fact that the kids were welcomed with NLAWs and Javelins while the paratroopers were blown up in the, sky or turned into Swiss cheese on the ground seems to have taken them completely by surprise.

Now they seem to have switched to Plan B: "gently caress you, if I can't have it, you can't have it either."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

For the average developed country, the increased food prices likely will be annoying, but manageable. What it's going to do, though, is cause widespread famine in the developing world, which will further fuel instability (particularly when combined with the accelerating effects of climate change). In the developed world, it will likely push countries and states that are heavily reliant on sales tax or VAT to lower those in order to offset price increases, which may lead to austerity measures or further deficit spending.

The rise in fuel prices is currently linked to instability in the commodities market. It will be hard to see how they may change in the long run until the markets settle down. The EU is incredibly exposed to this at the moment, and they will likely be forced to sacrifice tax revenue by reducing fuel and utilities taxes, or somehow greatly accelerate their renewables transitions. The Biden administration will probably be forced to start approving more drilling permits/leases due to mounting political pressure. It wouldn't really do much to alleviate problems in the short/middle term, but it will probably calm markets a bit.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 1, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

For the average developed country, the increased food prices likely will be annoying, but manageable. What it's going to do, though, is cause widespread famine in the developing world, which will further fuel instability (particularly when combined with the accelerating effects of climate change). In the developed world, it will likely push countries and states that are heavily reliant on sales tax or VAT to lower those in order to offset price increases, which may lead to austerity measures or further deficit spending.

The rise in fuel prices is currently linked to instability in the commodities market. It will be hard to see how they may change in the long run until the markets settle down. The EU is incredibly exposed to this at the moment, and they will likely be forced to sacrifice tax revenue by reducing fuel and utilities taxes, or somehow greatly accelerate their renewables transitions. The Biden administration will probably be forced to start approving more drilling permits/leases due to mounting political pressure. It wouldn't really do much to alleviate problems in the short/middle term, but it will probably calm markets a bit.

Here's some analysis from The Soufan Center on exactly that (the energy market)
https://thesoufancenter.org/intelbrief-2022-march-1/

IntelBrief: Ukraine Invasion Clouds the Global Energy Picture

quote:

Bottom Line up Front

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has caused European leaders to accelerate efforts to find alternatives to supplies of Russian natural gas.

Initially, Western leaders had hesitated to impose crippling sanctions on Russia’s energy sector because of the European energy dependency on Russia.

The global energy market would require significant adjustments for alternative suppliers to compensate for Russian gas exports.

Several countries in the Middle East and North Africa could potentially help alleviate any significant gas shortages in Europe.

The unexpected failure of intensive U.S. and European diplomacy to deter Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has convinced European leaders to reduce their dependency on Russian exports of natural gas—the main energy source for the continent. However, solutions are neither simple nor quick. Russia produces 17% of all natural gas and 12% of the world's oil. It supplies about 40% of European Union countries’ natural gas, some of which flows through pipelines that cross Ukraine. Russia’s gas conglomerate Gazprom has refused over the past several months to provide any more than the amounts specified in long term contracts, causing natural gas prices in Europe to increase significantly. Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine caused gas and oil prices to spike further; the price of crude oil initially increased to over $100 per barrel after the Russian assault began, a level not reached since 2014. In November 2021, according to the Energy Information Administration (EIA), the United States imported about 600,000 barrels per day of Russian oil.

The invasion represented a severe enough challenge to European security that leaders of Germany, despite initial hesitancy, suspended final approvals to activate the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline from Russia in response. However, the dependency on Russian energy contributed to the decision by the Biden administration and U.S. partners in Europe not to impose sanctions on currently active infrastructure and supplies from Russia. Withholding the imposition of crippling energy sanctions on Russia deprives Western leaders of key leverage. Revenues from oil and gas exports provide more than a third of Russia’s government budget, and Russia has largely failed to diversify its economy away from dependence on hydrocarbon exports. Comprehensive energy sanctions on Russia would, in the view of some experts, impose costs on the Russian economy sufficient to cause Russia’s President Vladimir Putin to limit the objectives of his Ukraine offensive and deter further Russian aggression beyond Ukraine.

The outbreak of actual conflict has intensified Western discussions to arrange alternative energy sources, particularly of natural gas, even though Russia has not, to date, cut off or reduced its energy exports. Western leaders appear convinced that they must secure gas supplies that could compensate for Russian exports, should the conflict in Ukraine expand or President Putin decide to cut off or severely reduce Russia’s energy exports. Easy and quick solutions might be elusive, although some countries are positioned to help alleviate, but not totally resolve, an energy crisis in Europe. Aside from the imports from Russia, European countries import some natural gas from the United States. Australia, a U.S. ally and a major natural gas supplier, agreed to increase supplies to Europe, if needed.

The United States has looked to the energy-rich Middle East and North Africa (MENA) as a potential source of new supplies of natural gas. In late January, President Biden held a short-notice summit with the Emir (ruler) of Qatar, one of the world’s largest suppliers of natural gas, focused on whether Qatar might potentially be able to compensate for any loss in Russian gas supplies to Europe. However, Qatar’s responses illustrated the difficulty of reorienting the global energy market, particularly in response to a crisis that arises quickly. Qatar’s Energy Minister Saad al-Kaabi explained on February 22 that it would be “almost impossible” for Europe to replace its gas imports in the event Russia decides to clamp down on supplies amid a worsening Ukraine crisis. While not ruling out additional Qatari supplies to Europe, the minister added, “There is no single country that can replace that kind of volume, there isn’t the capacity to do that from LNG (liquefied natural gas)... Most of the LNG is tied to long-term contracts and destinations that are very clear. So, to replace that sum of volume that quickly is almost impossible.” The minister’s comments indicated that, in order for a supplier such as Qatar to provide additional natural gas to Europe, some of its existing customers, such as India, South Korea, and Japan, would have to agree to accept a reduction of their gas imports from Qatar under existing contracts. Doing so would create shortages and spike prices in those countries, causing their leaders to hesitate to cooperate in a redirection of Qatar’s gas exports.

Among other countries in the region, Algeria is already the European Union’s third largest gas provider (behind Russia and Norway), supplying approximately 8% of the EU’s gas supplies in 2021 via pipelines across the Mediterranean Sea. However, Algerian politics and its regional policies could hinder its ability to scale up its exports. Similarly, some experts consider Libya as potentially able to help ease a shortage, given its strong gas production and close proximity to the continent. However, Libya’s political instability make it a troublesome energy partner, and its ability to increase exports of gas is limited.

Even though solutions to the European dependency on Russian energy supplies are not readily available, the Ukraine crisis has instilled momentum in the long discussed, but heretofore stalled, effort to diversify Europe’s energy supplies. Over time, European leaders will likely be able to secure alternative supplies through long-term contracts. The Ukraine crisis will also reinforce the already clear commitments by European leaders to invest in renewables and other climate-friendly energy solutions. The decisions by key energy companies like British Petroleum and Shell, which are canceling joint ventures with Russian energy companies like Gazprom, are also further going to impact global supplies and damage Russia’s role as a key energy supplier. Still, it is certain that President Putin’s assessment of European energy dependency on Russia factored into his calculations of the likely consequences of invading Ukraine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Probably missing his weeb anime pillow.

Like I swear to god I remember that coming up when he fled, that he actually had one.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

Can some of you watch this video and give me your thoughts?

I find it highly likely that he's correct. He posits that we're going to see a spike in gas and food prices, and that there will be second- and third-order consequences to shortages around the world because of the Russo-Ukranian war. That there will be scarcity of certain food items, higher prices, shortages of fertilizer due to lower production of LNG (fertilizer being a byproduct of that) leading to lower crop yields. He says that some of these things are already built in and are already happening, and he says that larger effects are likely, but not guaranteed.

I have my own biases on prepping, and I tend to have a pessimistic view on things, maybe due to my anxiety. Prepping helps allay my fears of not being able to support my family in a disaster, man made or natural. So given these biases that I have, I'm wondering if any of you guys think this guy is unreasonable, or fear-mongering. He's pretty much the least fear mongering, least clickbaity, least chuddy prepping channel on YouTube. But maybe I am allowing my biases to blind me.

Generally the concepts make sense but he's way overblowing the second order stuff, especially on a global scale. Europe is in for some shocks but North America, Asia, and Australia should be relatively insulated against the secondary shocks.

Furthermore the food inflation is effectively priced in already, while we can probably expect to see costs rise it won't be sharp.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My takeaway from this is that ensuring your population is prosperous enough to withstand geopolitical market shocks is an essential national defense concern and if we don't go full socialism now the ruskies win.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

I watched it. Yes, he presents his material in a calm and well thought-out matter and the dude isn't ringing any major Chud alarm bells, but at the end of the day, prepping is His Thing and he's still extrapolating things out to their worst case scenario. The urge to go RAHHHH must prep for everything! is understandable during times of uncertainty, but don't let it become a source of anxiety in and of itself. Unless you have a rural homestead with a storm basement stocked to the rafters (something that probably even 99.9% of the weirdest Doomsday Preppers don't have), there's no way you can be 100% prepared for everything at all times.

All you can really do is be proud of making a concerted effort to keep your family safe in weird times and have faith in what you've already done or are currently doing. This isn't the time for big, sweeping gestures (i.e. buying a bunch of poo poo because I Think I Need It Now) but to keep calm but alert and keep pushing on. I do think that we could be in for some weird weeks ahead, but not as bad as what this guy is saying, but I'm going to continue to try living my life as normally as possible while trusting that everything I've done is enough.

This goes for everyone and not just you, but I'd highly recommend taking a doomscrolling break every now and then. If you don't have one within petting distance, YouTube is full of videos of cute animals.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1498679555816574995?t=vXGxhuDDs3l1JbxRI_pKyw&s=19

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498679703628136458?t=bkKWPKRm7hY9_Jl8F4UmQA&s=19

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Based on some statements Russia just made, it sounds like tonight they're going to level Kiev.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Gran of salt, yatta yatta yatta but even if a third of it is true :stare:

https://twitter.com/sbreakintl/status/1498619303717142529?s=20&t=6wf-_O77W2LxAD0gFVLT-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Any idea what theyre hitting that tower with?
I'n donbass they started wailing on a ATC tower at an airfield with tanks back in 2014.
But wouldnt a missile have collapsed that building?