Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is Steam link any different from what Steam uses when you stream a game to another PC? When I used that, the latency was pretty good over wifi, but the image quality would intermittently deteriorate, occasionally getting really bad. It was fine 80-90% of the time, but that's not good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Is Steam link any different from what Steam uses when you stream a game to another PC? When I used that, the latency was pretty good over wifi, but the image quality would intermittently deteriorate, occasionally getting really bad. It was fine 80-90% of the time, but that's not good enough.

I think it’s the same thing and I have decent wifi but never had good luck with either the app or using steam to steam from another machine.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
It's funny how gracefully GabeN took all the awkward reactions. I know I would have been way more excited to see him than these guys. For a start I would have invited him in at least.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
It's funny how gracefully GabeN took all the awkward reactions. I know I would have been way more excited to see him than these guys. For a start I would have invited him in at least.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Word on the street is Yuzu with precompiled shader cache runs as well or better than real Switch. Not pokemon Arceus upscaled with increased FPS and render distance mods, but a 1:1 handheld experience may not be unrealistic.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Heran Bago posted:

Word on the street is Yuzu with precompiled shader cache runs as well or better than real Switch. Not pokemon Arceus upscaled with increased FPS and render distance mods, but a 1:1 handheld experience may not be unrealistic.

Sir I'll have you know very smug goons in this very thread have said that's not even approaching possible

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:shrug: Let's just say I'm not going to sell my launch Switch on the say-so of "word on the street". If these rumors turn out to be true and you can get decent performance out of a Switch emulator on the Deck, more the better, but I didn't put in my order hoping to be able to play anything more recent than GameCube or maybe Wii on it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

:shrug: Let's just say I'm not going to sell my launch Switch on the say-so of "word on the street". If these rumors turn out to be true and you can get decent performance out of a Switch emulator on the Deck, more the better, but I didn't put in my order hoping to be able to play anything more recent than GameCube or maybe Wii on it.

"The street" is YouTube now. But people tend to demo games running for the first or second time, or didn't get the precompiled cache files, so it hitches.

Don't sell your Switch, that's how Smash online and Pac-Man 99 happen. It's also easier to play Switch games on a Switch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Someone check if Sega Ages Virtua Racing works well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The videos I saw of yuzu and ryujinx running on the steam deck didn't just have periodic hitching, they had consistently bad performance. Any 3D game ran significantly worse on the steam deck than on an actual switch, completely disregarding shader compilation. So what changed in the last three days? I'm skeptical.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Those captures were from when only OpenGL worked, Vulkan now works on newer builds. More efficient graphics wrapping and less CPU overhead might've gotten it over the line.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

MarcusSA posted:

I think it’s the same thing and I have decent wifi but never had good luck with either the app or using steam to steam from another machine.

"decent wifi" is an oxymoron when you are doing anything latency and loss sensitive. There have been massive improvements in the technology, but it remains a shared medium.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I’ve managed to get ryujinx running on a surface pro 7 i5 at super playable frame rates. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ran well on a steam deck.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

don't sell your switch even if the steam deck can run switch emulators real good since you obviously still gotta buy the games to back them up, of course. :angel:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think of my game backups like ship of theseus

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

sorry I meant "my" as in "pirate groups" "game backups" is really "game isoz" and "ship of theseus" is more like a shady website that creates popups in spite of ublock origin being installed

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Here, I took all the words in that sentence you switched out and made a new sentence with them

SCheeseman posted:

I think of my game backups like ship of theseus

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

After trying steam link on my tablet with a controller I might cancel, lol. I was surprised how decent it was, though slightly too laggy for multiplayer games. I'm after q2 though so it won't help anybody.

I don't know why but for me using the Nvidia Games app for Gamestream gives me WAY better picture quality and less lag than Steamlink.

With the Steamlink app on my Shield Portable everything looks like it's streaming a game to me (especially in Final Fantasy 6 Pixel Remaster, every time you get into a battle) but with the official Nvidia app it looks like I'm playing the game natively, no compression artifacts anywhere.

I'm not sure why this is the case for me, but try Gamestream

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

oh no my ROM collections :(

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I don't know why but for me using the Nvidia Games app for Gamestream gives me WAY better picture quality and less lag than Steamlink.
Likely a compression type that works better for the action on stream.

Trucker Hat posted:

oh no my ROM collections :(

Gotta use those ship of theseus collections I guess.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

More like ship of thieveseus :colbert:

I wonder why those aren't allowed -- it'd be pretty ironic if they went to great lengths to DRM their emulator.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's most likely because Konami is a shadow of it's former self and couldn't be assed to spend any time or money getting them running on the deck because they don't give a flying gently caress about any of their franchises beyond how much blood they can squeeze from the stone.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
All those posts say is “does not support SteamOS,” apparently not knowing what Proton is. I trust Valve’s verification more than Konami just throwing those posts out there.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Rom hacks provide way better QoL upgrades than those collections anyway. Sad!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you hate to see it

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1498688819335348224

https://i.imgur.com/b5FARBc.mp4

why did every analog stick turn to poo poo, i swear drift didn't used to be this common

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 1, 2022

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Can't you fix that though? Like, can't you set the system to only take stick input when the touch sensor on top is well... touched?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
You can also completely replace the thumb sticks. Still sucks if it happens this quickly though

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

IIRC the sticks are one of the easiest things to replace. Easier than the Switch.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JuffoWup posted:

Can't you fix that though? Like, can't you set the system to only take stick input when the touch sensor on top is well... touched?

if you do that then you can't use the touch input for anything else

one of valves ideas was to enable gyro aiming when touching the stick but if your stick is drifting you'll get phantom inputs

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Wonder if that's a demo unit, those saw a lot of action from lots of people.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

KakerMix posted:

Wonder if that's a demo unit, those saw a lot of action from lots of people.

Since the other units haven't arrived in people's homes yet from the first wave of purchasers, except for the ones Gabe hand delivered it almost certainly is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

retail units started arriving today in the netherlands, i think valve does their EU distribution from NL so orders to NL arrived first

looks like at least three different people on /r/steamdeck are experiencing drift already

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 1, 2022

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
so they just gotta put in deadzone thresholds into steamui?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

minusX posted:

Likely a compression type that works better for the action on stream.

Both apps are set to use as much bandwidth as possible with the lowest amount of compression so I really don't know. The only other thing I can think of is that the Gamestream app can make use of my Nvidia graphics card and its Gamestream hardware, and maybe the Steam app isn't allowed to tap into this or something.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Audax posted:

so they just gotta put in deadzone thresholds into steamui?

Probably already in there, considering all the customisation that's come over from the Steam Controller.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Both apps are set to use as much bandwidth as possible with the lowest amount of compression so I really don't know. The only other thing I can think of is that the Gamestream app can make use of my Nvidia graphics card and its Gamestream hardware, and maybe the Steam app isn't allowed to tap into this or something.
Yeah, but the highest compression of a jpeg and how good it looks vs another file format doesn't mean they are doing the same compression etc. Likely related to features of the video card like you said, compressing at processing the image for streaming it instead of doing the workload, then compressing, then stream it. But I'm not an expert, there's just different magic out there to make better low latency stuff work (see how much Parsec is helping shared screen gameplay level vs like Playstation remote play).

Veotax posted:

Probably already in there, considering all the customisation that's come over from the Steam Controller.

All the reports of it can't find a setting for it, so likely just needs to be added in an update. Seems to only be right sticks affected so far as well.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that is a big bummer, hope it's fixable. I never had any stick drift problems, even on the Switch, and counted myself as really lucky and then ran into three different DualSense controller that began drifting in different ways

I don't want to be frustrated that way on the Deck

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

repiv posted:

you hate to see it

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1498688819335348224

https://i.imgur.com/b5FARBc.mp4

why did every analog stick turn to poo poo, i swear drift didn't used to be this common

wow that really sucks. hope it isn't a widespread issue but reports that soon don't leave a good feeling about it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kirios posted:

IIRC the sticks are one of the easiest things to replace. Easier than the Switch.

Yeah just get a whole bag of them and a cell phone repair kit it's nbd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Gabe's switch is bad, rip everyone