Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't you need to use steamdeck specific modules for the touch sensing part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah, valve said they'll be selling spares via ifixit though

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

minusX posted:

Yeah, but the highest compression of a jpeg and how good it looks vs another file format doesn't mean they are doing the same compression etc. Likely related to features of the video card like you said, compressing at processing the image for streaming it instead of doing the workload, then compressing, then stream it. But I'm not an expert, there's just different magic out there to make better low latency stuff work (see how much Parsec is helping shared screen gameplay level vs like Playstation remote play).

All the reports of it can't find a setting for it, so likely just needs to be added in an update. Seems to only be right sticks affected so far as well.

You probably still have to switch to desktop mode and configure it using the desktop Steam client.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Popping in a fresh pair of iFixits for the big new release.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
One report of stick drift on a dev kit, rip stream deck 2022-2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Kwolok posted:

Cancel your preorders!

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I can open up a brand new PS5 controller right now, load up apex legends, set the deadzone threshold to 0, and experience drift. I don't know how big of an issue this will be.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've cancelled everyone's preorders here in advance due to the stick drift. You're welcome!

Audax posted:

I can open up a brand new PS5 controller right now, load up apex legends, set the deadzone threshold to 0, and experience drift. I don't know how big of an issue this will be.

(shh..not everyone knows drat near every stick has some kind of drift. it's all about having a good deadzone to compensate for the fractional differences.)

It's always been a thing - the Switch's being such a widespread problem is what brought it to the forefront.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

stickdrift is just a part of life for modern manufacturing tolerances

nevertheless,

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Kirios posted:

I've cancelled everyone's preorders here in advance due to the stick drift. You're welcome!

(shh..not everyone knows drat near every stick has some kind of drift. it's all about having a good deadzone to compensate for the fractional differences.)

It's always been a thing - the Switch's being such a widespread problem is what brought it to the forefront.

No wonder I didn't get my email or my deviery from Gaben, Delivery Boy!!!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

At least you will be able to mess with the deadzones, so stick drift should be a lot less of an issue than on the switch

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

pseudorandom name posted:

You probably still have to switch to desktop mode and configure it using the desktop Steam client.
Yep! https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t4d2nt/how_to_currently_fix_joystick_drift_by_increasing/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gabe just announced he'll get the sticks fixed if everyone cancels their preorders!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kwolok posted:

There's a non-zero chance that the person just set the deadzone to 0. The steam controller configuration has a stupid amount of combustibility. You can just set the deadzone a little larger to stop the drift.

Edit: I mean customizability

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 1, 2022

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sigher posted:

Gabe just announced he'll get the sticks fixed if everyone cancels their preorders!

Elon Musk is sending 1 bitcoin to every person who posts proof that they've cancelled their preorder!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Stick drift is just a part of how they’re designed and produced. It’s more known now because of the Switch’s tiny little lovely things and because they sold so many of those things, but it’s been A Thing for ages.

I had stick drift on a PlayStation 3 controller. Thanks, Resident Evil 5.

At least they’re somewhat easily replaceable on the Deck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I never had any stick drift in my life until I got a switch. Worst controllers I’ve ever used.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Funnily enough I’ve played Switch a ton and none of my sticks have drift

That’s just the way it goes, baby

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've got an ancient 360 controller that I still use and that bastard is without drift.

My Index controller though did after a couple years, looks like Valve did it again!!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/8270674/

Looks like Respawn just pushed Proton EAC support for Apex Legends

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Stick drift only happens to people with dirty hands who don't look after their controller the correct way.

You don't have dirty hands, do you?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I've got an ancient 360 controller that I still use and that bastard is without drift.

Every Xbox 360 controller I've owned had stick drift and it only mattered in Grand Theft Auto IV because good Xbox 360 games obeyed Microsoft's dead zone recommendations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

pseudorandom name posted:

Every Xbox 360 controller I've owned had stick drift and it only mattered in Grand Theft Auto IV because good Xbox 360 games obeyed Microsoft's dead zone recommendations.

I've only ever used this controller on PC, it's never been plugged into an Xbox

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I read online that one way to fix stick drift is to use computer duster spray cans on it to get debris off it.

Then I found out no local stores sold the computer duster, and I had to buy it online, and they're expensive and small, because of those drat crackheads who huff that poo poo.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I've only ever used this controller on PC, it's never been plugged into an Xbox

PC games also follow Microsoft's dead zone recommendations, its documented right there in the API.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FBS posted:

Cancel your preorders!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t4o91g/valves_response_on_my_stick_driftdeadzone_ticket/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we did it reddit!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

repiv posted:

we did it reddit!

settle down, Beavis

hopefully the stick drift issue is just a software thing that's fixed

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bungie taking a very hard line

quote:

Destiny 2 is not supported for play on the Steam Deck or on any system utilizing Steam Play's Proton unless Windows is installed and running. Players who attempt to launch Destiny 2 on the Steam Deck through SteamOS or Proton will be unable to enter the game and will be returned to their game library after a short time.

Players who attempt to bypass Destiny 2 incompatibility will be met with a game ban.
I guess the bureaucratic rot from Activision infected Bungie.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why are they taking such a hard stance

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The anti-cheat doesn't work on Proton, is my guess.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Squiggle posted:

The anti-cheat doesn't work on Proton, is my guess.

It's battleeye, one of the ones where they just gotta send an email.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I haven't read or watched many reviews since Elden Ring is consuming my life but what's the status of games who have the same launchers like EA or Ubisoft? Does Proton do a good job handling those? Like, if there's issue with the launcher that needs to get addressed is it on a game to game basis in regards to patching? I ask because I'd love to play Titanfall 2 on this thing but that game will never get updated again and I'd hate for it to be just permafucked in that regard. According to Valve's own library compatability checker Titanfall 1 is already under Unsupported.

edit: I completely missed out on TF2 being under the Playable part, whoops. Weird that TF1 is still out, but that game's deader than poo poo anyway so it doesn't really matter.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

jokes posted:

Why are they taking such a hard stance

Microsoft :tinfoil:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Microsoft :tinfoil:

They're owned by Sony now, before that Activision, before that Microsoft.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

It's battleeye, one of the ones where they just gotta send an email.

They've just gotta send an email to opt-in, but like EAC there's probably a security trade-off to opting-in

It's pretty evident from the fact that Windows anti-cheats have evolved deep kernel hooks to keep up with cheats, and the Linux versions revert back to basic usermode scanning, that there's a trade-off there

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'd be keen on security improvements on Deck and Linux gaming distributions in general. Signed kernels and attestation of rootfs seem a reasonable compromise.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Speaking of unsupported but still kinda running - yes, you can launch the Epic Game Store from within Steam+Proton on linux.
Annoyingly I can't start Axiom Verge 2, even though that game is nothing but software rendering and should run on a PS Vita. This is using the Experimental Proton compatibility tool.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/02/steam-deck-desktop-mode-plus-other-stores-like-the-epic-games-store/

e: It was able to restore some cloud saves made on windows... nice. Gonna try the Heroic Launcher

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nintendo shook beyond repair