Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

competition is good, but hidive hid away nadia the secret of blue water so they unfortunately must perish

Hidive has Glass Mask so they are under my protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

seems like the inevitable outcome is crunchy+funi starting to shrug off some of the niche genre stuff, and now you suddenly need hidive if you want to watch new slice-of-life or mecha shows or whatever crunchy doesn't care about.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someone needs to probate stair for that post.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And that someone is me. Once I become Mod this thursday

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Plutonis posted:

:worship:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Someone needs to probate stair for that post.

Plutonis posted:

the hero adtrw needed

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

admins still working their asses off to pick a new anime mod from the many many candidates in the toonami thread

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Namtab posted:

admins still working their asses off to pick a new anime mod from the many many candidates in the toonami thread

:yikes:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Mix. posted:

make me a mod. my first decree is that everyone will have to watch kaiji :smugdog:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Plutonis posted:

hype

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

marumaru posted:

you've seen "is arcane anime"
you've seen "are light novels anime"
you've even accepted that anime streamers aren't anime

introducing: are american politics anime

hell. i wish!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

no

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Any good posters in the toonami thread?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, was already hoping Plutonis would get the position but didn't realise the competition was this dire.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtEwMHf-TQU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tales of Woe posted:

seems like the inevitable outcome is crunchy+funi starting to shrug off some of the niche genre stuff, and now you suddenly need hidive if you want to watch new slice-of-life or mecha shows or whatever crunchy doesn't care about.

Somebody at Crunchyroll is a huge SRW fan and likes obscure mecha.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/god-mars

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Waffleman_ posted:

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/crunchyroll-adds-funimation-anime-sony-1235192876/

So it looks like the Funimation brand is going away entirely. Funimation Global Group LLC will operate as Crunchyroll LLC.

drat, end of an era.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Let's face it - Funimation was kind of a stupid name.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

marumaru posted:

now im trying to remember this intro to one of these companies that i vaguely recall being kinda cool

it was manga entertainment

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wonder what this means for Australia given that Animelab only just finished rolling into Funimation AU

when has the australian market been anything other than an afterthought?

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 2, 2022

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Edward Mass posted:

what if animation, was fun?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

yup. crunchy roll really makes u want to order some food, salivation, etc whereas funimation is some sort off brand non-toxic playdough that the kiddos end up eating

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I lost multiple hours of my life to Starscourge Radhan but he's dead now and so am I

I'd rather barehand fight Gael than do that ever again ugh

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
rip funimation and their greatest contribution to society, chuck e cheese in the galaxy 5000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6SqoP2w68Y

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 2, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tales of Woe posted:

Content is king and Netflix and HIDIVE still exist so CR will definitely try and snap up everything they can. They won’t get really niche stuff, but they never did to begin with. HIDIVE always felt like it was grabbing crumbs that CR and Funi didn’t want.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Content is king and Netflix and HIDIVE still exist so CR will definitely try and snap up everything they can. They won’t get really niche stuff, but they never did to begin with. HIDIVE always felt like it was grabbing crumbs that CR and Funi didn’t want.

I sure was really surprised that Hidive of all places got the new Lupin series. I can understand Funi not caring about Lupin since by all accounts The Woman Called Fujiko Mine didn't do so hot for them (I remember ages ago a Funi rep was on a podcast and pretty much said that while he personally loved the show it didn't perform as well as they had hoped), but CR not getting it sure was odd considering the vast amount of Lupin anime they have! I'm sure there's a good behind the scenes explanation that will likely never see the light of day though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got my third Great Rune last night. Becoming more and more powerful.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I see the Lupin thing as a small flex on HIDIVE/Sentai’s part. Big enough that fans like it, not big enough that CR would care to get into a bidding war. While hidive isn’t the same company as Sentai it’s plainly obvious they’re incredibly connected and anything Sentai licenses ends up there. Sentai just recently got bought by AMC (the TV channel, not the movie chain) and this was probably a case of being able to throw some money at something they thought would appeal to their audience.

Sentai/Hidive does try to appeal to the older crowd a bit more as they actually licensed stuff like Legend of the Galatic Heroes, Votoms, Xabungle, etc. So that license is something that honestly makes a bit more sense for them and I think CR was perfectly fine seeing it walk away because it didn’t appeal to the crowd they want.

Now if hidive somehow manages to license a huge popular Shonen title in the future? That I will be surprised about.

I’m really curious what Discotek has planned because they seemed to have an agreement to publish some CR titles on Blu-Ray. With CR now having access to a gigantic BD/DVD publishing arm and not tied to a name where they’re known for almost always doing dubs, I’d wonder if we’ll see something like “A Place Further Than the Universe” and “Laid Back Camp” come out as sub only CR branded BD/DVD releases.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dOPdLmucJg

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

I see the Lupin thing as a small flex on HIDIVE/Sentai’s part. Big enough that fans like it, not big enough that CR would care to get into a bidding war. While hidive isn’t the same company as Sentai it’s plainly obvious they’re incredibly connected and anything Sentai licenses ends up there. Sentai just recently got bought by AMC (the TV channel, not the movie chain) and this was probably a case of being able to throw some money at something they thought would appeal to their audience.

Sentai/Hidive does try to appeal to the older crowd a bit more as they actually licensed stuff like Legend of the Galatic Heroes, Votoms, Xabungle, etc. So that license is something that honestly makes a bit more sense for them and I think CR was perfectly fine seeing it walk away because it didn’t appeal to the crowd they want.

Now if hidive somehow manages to license a huge popular Shonen title in the future? That I will be surprised about.

I’m really curious what Discotek has planned because they seemed to have an agreement to publish some CR titles on Blu-Ray. With CR now having access to a gigantic BD/DVD publishing arm and not tied to a name where they’re known for almost always doing dubs, I’d wonder if we’ll see something like “A Place Further Than the Universe” and “Laid Back Camp” come out as sub only CR branded BD/DVD releases.

Heck when you put it like that yeah the Lupin acquisition does make sense. Especially since they're even dubbing Part 1 of all things which is cool as hell but definitely an action that's more in their wheelhouse than Funi or CR.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doesn’t CR have a few Lupin shows themselves though (or I think they used to at least, not sure if they’re still there)?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Doesn’t CR have a few Lupin shows themselves though (or I think they used to at least, not sure if they’re still there)?

Yea they have all the tv series except Part 6, though they've had those for quite awhile now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Larryb posted:

Yeah. CR got a bunch of Lupin stuff, but I think it was more a handshake deal with Discotek as Discotek doesn’t have a streaming arm. Discotek released stuff like Konosuba for CR so I wouldn’t doubt there was some deals happening where stuff Discotek wanted ends up on CR to help with exposure. Now that Funi and CR are together and CR has their own BD/DVD brand to push? I don’t think we’ll see Discotek stuff hit CR as much anymore and I’d expect we see their stuff either expand to perhaps work with HIDIVE more, or they work closer together with RetroCrush which seems to be doing fairly well (though I wish they’d get a PlayStation app already).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

Yea they have all the tv series except Part 6, though they've had those for quite awhile now.

So out of curiosity then, why did 6 get dropped onto HIDIVE instead of Crunchyroll?

And speaking of HIDIVE, are there any plans to put the rest of Lupin on there eventually as well (or doing a dub for Part 6 for that matter)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 2, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So are they getting rid of the funi app entirely then? I'll have to sub to cr for shows?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you're currently a Funi subscriber, you'll get an email in a bit to redeem 60 free days of Crunchyroll, but yes you will have to sub to Crunchy. They say they're currently working on a way for you to migrate your watch history over to Crunchy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Crunchy is better anyway, so it’s time to embrace the future of anim

marumaru
May 20, 2013

is anim the singular of anime

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

One anim many anims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

praying that crunchyroll can acquire aniplex next so we can finally stream baccano