Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the strongest bug?
This poll is closed.
Praying mantis 91 21.06%
🐜 71 16.44%
🦂 56 12.96%
🕷 46 10.65%
🦎 101 23.38%
Centipede 67 15.51%
Total: 432 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

do you think Banderites is an anti-Ukraine slur

yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0O3jnLvBxw&t=3603s

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Majorian posted:

The far more likely war aim was "topple Zelensky, install a pro-Moscow government, and partition Ukraine," and I think that's still the plan. The overall goal is still to reconstruct the Russian Empire, but I don't think Putin believes that's fully feasible in the immediate future.

I think this is right, but I also was told that thinking this is "dumb guy energy" even though Putin has written extensively it's what he wants to do.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

lmfao what the gently caress

Th DnD donation thread started off with a donation link to a Ukrainian nationalist organization before koos removed it and made them very sad. I don't remember exactly which one.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Judakel posted:

d&d refers to the ukraine as a slur no i am not joking
how many sixers have been handed out over it

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Do any groups still care about Nestor Makhno

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Th DnD donation thread started off with a donation link to a Ukrainian nationalist organization before koos removed it and made them very sad. I don't remember exactly which one.
hahaha holy poo poo

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Atrocious Joe posted:

so now liberals think that territory matters more than population?

the countries that abstained, voted against, or didn't vote represent almost half the global population.

Didn't know incapability of wrapping their dicks up confers a diplomatic bonus, champ.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i honestly haven't seen that much russian propaganda about this conflict other than putin's actual televised appearances. the recently published casualty estimates i guess? it's almost all been ukrainian info fronting this war, both accurate and propagandistic

The writer of that piece, Christopher Miller covered Ukraine for US propaganda outlets RE/RL for years. He was actually pretty decent, and provided more critical coverage of Ukrainian politics than most US media.

His last few stories have been repeating Ukrainian stories about local militias taking out saboteurs, Russian planes being shot down, and now this story about how disinfo is being defeated. The output is almost at the level of Kyiv Independent when it comes to hyping up the Ukrainian defense.

You can really see how the official US propaganda arms function (RE/RL, VOA, RFA) now that the war has heated up. They train reporters pretty decently in periods of low intensity, but instill a world view complimentary to US imperialism or aligned with factions the US is currently backing. They build up a trust in their reporting so that when war does break up they are partisans in the INFOWAR, even if they are at another outlet.

I don't want to imply that Buzzfeed would be publishing better stuff if this reporter wasn't there. I just don't think they'd be as flagrant to claim that actually there is less fog of war in this conflict.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

two-time fee posted:

Isn't this at least somewhat analogous to the coming to terms with the obsolescence of non-cbg naval apparel wrt WW2 theatre or am I being hopelessly naïve and simplistic here ?

I'm not convinced that carriers aren't obsolete in a war of equal forces. The advantage that carriers gave over battleships is that they let you kill the other person before they are anywhere near in range of killing you. This is basically the same thing that every other offensive military advancement gave over whatever it replaced. But, when missiles are able to hit from a longer range than jets are, then what use is a carrier as opposed to a cruiser equipped with missiles?

At the end of the day I'm just some schlub in the middle of nowhere, but that's how I see it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1498854936292958208?s=20&t=RbmGL8BgZjPNJUUB28lccw

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rime posted:

Didn't know incapability of wrapping their dicks up confers a diplomatic bonus, champ.

:yikes:

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Calibanibal posted:

Of course they are. But people who believe in ghosts in this very earnest sort of way are regarded as idiots

Oh I see it's a rhetoric maneuver that's very smart

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OK, so at least we can say with certainty that they haven't actually destroyed any kind of large scale Ukrainian formations?

I too condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Sorry, I'm late. Hope redoing the count isn't too much effort.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

how many sixers have been handed out over it

one guy was warned and apologized and edited

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Maximo Roboto posted:

anarchist loving love their idiot bandit king

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Someone stuck a donation link to ultranationalists on a linktree going around my workplace and after I pointed it out in private, a Decision Was Made that we can't make a public stir about it or it'll look bad

so that's neat!

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

ASB is definitely a pro russian account but they're not tweeting out crazy poo poo on the level of Ukrainian sources claiming 1000 Russians dying per day with 800 armored vehicles destroyed in 1 airstrike.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not So Fast posted:

Do you think Ukrainians are Banderites? As in, the current government?

do I think Zelensky, who made a big to-do about how Bandera's legacy is ~complex~ and it's unfair to call him a nazi collaborator just because he actively collaborated with nazis, is someone who can be called a Banderite?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Banderites? More like bandewrongs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

it was the UCCA lol so not just nationalists but an explicit continuation of the group Bandera founded

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Rime posted:

You could have made fun of that post for being a weird non sequitur but instead you went really racist w it??

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

I think this is right, but I also was told that thinking this is "dumb guy energy" even though Putin has written extensively it's what he wants to do.

Well, tbf up until Putin invaded, the smart money was on Putin being too smart/cautious/coldly logical to try any of this. Even after he invaded it seemed absurd that he would try to make this war anything bigger than an expanded replay of "Georgia 2008." So clearly a lot of folks, including myself, misread the situation. I think Putin's not the same person he was in 2008, although I strongly doubt he's gone bonkers or anything. He's still behaving rationally, if badly mistakenly.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Oh ok so the banderites were ukranian irregular fascist militia during ww2

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Who are some other anti-imperialism decolonialist leaders who aligned themselves with the Axis. Subhas Bose, Sukarno, W.E.B. Du Bois?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

thank you uhh.. Recovering PR chick. Advocate. Nerd. Political Moderate. Battling Lyme. TV: your art has been an immeasurable drug 🏈 ATL | FL | TX #PSALM139 #GoDawgs

https://twitter.com/AdelaidaFall/status/1498861039005446145?s=20&t=P-9Js_EgOEXaJKytUbhgjQ

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

This is your weakest post yet.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It was the UCCA
https://ucca.org/

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

This is your weakest post yet.

It was a legitimate question

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

have you not seen the red and black flags at Ukrainian rallies? His legacy is alive and well in the diaspora, especially in Canada.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Omon Ra posted:

I'm saying Eastern Europe welcomes the "interference", since they need protection against Russia.

They will greet us as liberators

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

oo i need to check my work's donation setups. they've been calling for people to donate to ukraine. it's kind of weird, I feel like this hasn't happened in the past? I don't remember calls to donate to charities for displaced people from Yemen or Syria or other places. A bunch of people changed their chat avatars to this "don't tread on me" snake imposed on a ukranian flag too. very odd.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

have you not seen the red and black flags at Ukrainian rallies? His legacy is alive and well in the diaspora, especially in Canada.

Well I'm just asking because all of the focus seems to be on Bandera!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rime posted:

gently caress off, you tedious racist shitstain

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Rime posted:

:discourse:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What is objectionable about this org? Seems like a run of the mill NGO from what I see.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

It was a legitimate question

Oh, uh then you got your answer.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anarchist loving love their idiot bandit king

I am surprised you haven't seen this poo poo before now.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

What is objectionable about this org? Seems like a run of the mill NGO from what I see.

They were taken over by an OUN-B affiliate in 1980, so they're low key ultranationalist freaks.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ksvarnon/status/1499010780850700289?s=20&t=Rn11N3NpUCcNO9LKDQdBuA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

bi crimes posted:

oo i need to check my work's donation setups. they've been calling for people to donate to ukraine. it's kind of weird, I feel like this hasn't happened in the past? I don't remember calls to donate to charities for displaced people from Yemen or Syria or other places. A bunch of people changed their chat avatars to this "don't tread on me" snake imposed on a ukranian flag too. very odd.

don't tank tread on me