Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FilthyImp posted:

"Wow Dumbledore, you say that the Elder Wand has unlocked a mysterious tome of ancient magic.... that PROVES there are only two biomagical alignments? THE GRAND WIZARD CONGRESS WILL NEVER LET THIS TRUTH BE TOLD!"

"Now if you'll excuse me, I need to poo poo my pants."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

FilthyImp posted:

"Wow Dumbledore, you say that the Elder Wand has unlocked a mysterious tome of ancient magic.... that PROVES there are only two biomagical alignments? THE GRAND WIZARD CONGRESS WILL NEVER LET THIS TRUTH BE TOLD!"

There is genuinely a ton of gender-essentialist poo poo in those books. There’s a point the boys try to go into the girl’s dorm to find Hermione or whatever, and they’re clocked immediately and magically ejected. And obviously, one of the major plots is about how a teen girl is murdered by a dangerous phallic snake that intruded in a girl’s bathroom, so…it’s not a surprise, really.

Codependent Poster posted:

Someone also said that they should have just kept "and where to find them" as the naming convention and it works so much better

Or, just the same meter. “Dark Wizards and How to Catch Them,” or something. Wouldn’t fix the fact they’re poorly-plotted cash grabs that struggle to fill out their own runtime.

I genuinely liked the first one until the Grindelwald poo poo. The setting was cool and different enough, and centering the story on an obviously autistic hero was kind of awesome (zero sarcasm, I’m being totally sincere.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zedd posted:

There is enough in the books that he is indeed gay or bi/pan but I'm P sure Rowling regrets making him explicitly gay at this point

I read the books and can't remember anything like that, but it's been a very long time since I went through any of them. Can you give a couple examples?

But wizards being pan makes sense (despite the beliefs of the author) in a world where you can change everything about your external appearance and there are dozens of sapient species.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fantastic Beasts 2 has a villain who smokes out of a human skull and wants to prevent World War 2, but also kills his own Pokemon and a baby so we don't forget that he's bad

Also a movie with two separate mind control rape plots, one for comic relief

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There really is nothing in the books to support Dumbledore being gay, that's why it was so "wait what" when JK said it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, I remember it being part of a whole bunch of poo poo like that from Rowling.

Hermione is black, there are jewish wizards, etc. I'd call it post hoc wokeness, but, well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The "Hermione is black" thing was in response to people being mad that a play had cast a black woman as Hermione, which is not a big deal, racists stay mad, but JK was like "Well, I had always thought of Hermione as black" which felt like a weird overdefense considering that descriptions in the book explicitly run counter to that and she had let them cast a white woman as Hermione for 8 whole movies. Likewise with "Well Voldemort is actually pronounced with a silent t" and it's like lady you had 8 movies and however many audiobooks to tell us that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not to defend Rowling (:chloe:) but wasn't her response more along the lines of "There's nothing in the text that contradicts Hermione being black"?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

There really is nothing in the books to support Dumbledore being gay, that's why it was so "wait what" when JK said it.

I figured he was gay reading book 7, it's pretty strongly intimated in the book he was in love with Grindelwald even if it's never outright said.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Likewise with "Well Voldemort is actually pronounced with a silent t" and it's like lady you had 8 movies and however many audiobooks to tell us that.
It's literally French for "flight from death," so pronouncing it like it's French isn't really coming from out of nowhere

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

lady you had 8 movies and however many audiobooks to tell us that.

Not sure about the UK ones, but in the American audiobooks the T is silent for the books 1-4 and then pronounced for 5-7 (presumably because the movies came out with a hard T)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MikeJF posted:

I figured he was gay reading book 7, it's pretty strongly intimated in the book he was in love with Grindelwald even if it's never outright said.

Yeah, it was pretty heavy handed for a children's book. A lot of people wrote it off because it's a children's book, "children should know that gay people exist." She just confirmed it on the press tour after.

Of course, now she's in league with some pretty bigoted people, which is ironic how she taught a whole generation on tolerance of people different from you, and she doesn't seem to have learned that lesson herself.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xealot posted:

There is genuinely a ton of gender-essentialist poo poo in those books. There’s a point the boys try to go into the girl’s dorm to find Hermione or whatever, and they’re clocked immediately and magically ejected.

Also the magical protection on the dorms is only for one gender, girls can visit the boys dorm just fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, it was pretty heavy handed for a children's book. A lot of people wrote it off because it's a children's book, "children should know that gay people exist." She just confirmed it on the press tour after.

Of course, now she's in league with some pretty bigoted people, which is ironic how she taught a whole generation on tolerance of people different from you, and she doesn't seem to have learned that lesson herself.

You should tolerate people different, as long as they're the same race as you.

And also one Chinese girl. With a Korean name.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But also if you want to abolish slavery, you're a nagging busybody that no one likes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
But they like being slaves.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The last movie had Voldemort's snake as a lady who's forced to perform fetish acts in a circus

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is Katherine waterson still in the fantasia beasts movies? I'm not seeing her on that poster.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She hasn't appeared in the trailers.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kingtheninja posted:

Is Katherine waterson still in the fantasia beasts movies? I'm not seeing her on that poster.

She apparently had a serious case of COVID during filming so her role got significantly reduced, but she's apparently still in it.

There are also rumors that her role got reduced because she has been vocally outspoken against Rowling's numerous and repeated bigoted remarks.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So Lars Mikkelsen will be replacing her?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Not to defend Rowling (:chloe:) but wasn't her response more along the lines of "There's nothing in the text that contradicts Hermione being black"?

Yeah, I’m not going to her Twitter to find it, but it was basically “There’s nothing in the books that says she isn’t black”, despite the fact that, yeah, actually there is. It’s just another case of Rowling trying to get progressive cred for things she absolutely did not do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also she always made sure to point out the black characters that were in the book.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this! posted:

Also she always made sure to point out the black characters that were in the book.
Considering her over-the-top and clumsy handling of ethnicities and nationalities.... yeah I don't really want to see the draft where Hermione was explicitly black

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yeah siriusly

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Considering her over-the-top and clumsy handling of ethnicities and nationalities.... yeah I don't really want to see the draft where Hermione was explicitly black

Though I still think the post facto press tour bullshit was the worst option because it raised issues of representation while risking nothing, this is a fair point. How she'd have coded her as uniquely Black would probably have been...an interesting question.

I'm positive she regrets making Dumbledore gay, though. His sexuality was irrelevant in the books, so it was an easy layup, but now a major movie franchise that she and WB intend to distribute internationally is and isn't centered around how Dumbledore and the villain used to gently caress. The Schrodinger's gayness of the second movie was pretty frustrating to watch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xealot posted:

How she'd have coded her as uniquely Black would probably have been...an interesting question.
There's actually a series of tiktok folks that did [Race] At Hogwarts skits.

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdAFaT8X/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Xealot posted:

Though I still think the post facto press tour bullshit was the worst option because it raised issues of representation while risking nothing, this is a fair point.

It was definitely the worst option. There'd be so much less of a headache around this whole thing if she'd just said "I didn't consider these representation issues while writing those books, but maybe I will for my next ones -- at this point Harry Potter is what it is." I understand falling into the trap of wanting your work to seem cool and relevant, but this was a textbook example of how not to do it -- which in hindsight I think will prove very useful to creatives going forward.

It's okay for things not to age well. Just make new things.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Instead she made new things that are a lot worse

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Instead of the magical Nazi snake killing women in bathrooms, it's a transvestite serial killer doing it now. In a book released in 2020, not 1980.

Sir Lemming posted:

...if she'd just said "I didn't consider these representation issues while writing those books, but maybe I will for my next ones..."

Credit to the author of the YA series Shadow & Bone, who pretty much did say this. Her protagonist was written as a blonde white woman, but was cast as biracially white and Asian, which she said was a better idea than her own because she defaulted to white characters uncritically and threw out a lot of nuance and possibility without realizing it.

JKR needs to be right and to have always been right, so not only was HP retroactively perfect, those transes must be the baddies because her politics are correct, so theirs can't be. QED.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The basilisk was a nazi?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Well, Voldemort is. He's a "pureblood" supremacist, so his goal in releasing the basilisk was to target and kill the "mud bloods" who aren't racially pure enough. The basilisk, I suppose, was merely following orders.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My grand total of Harry Potter knowledge is I saw the first 2 movies, and have been to Universal Orlando.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Never seen any Harry Potter stuff, never read the books. What do I win?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

edogawa rando posted:

You can now whine about it endlessly in the internet.

Congrats

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

edogawa rando posted:

You’re old, but not old enough your kids were into it. Remember to get your regular colonoscopies

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xealot posted:

Instead of the magical Nazi snake killing women in bathrooms, it's a transvestite serial killer doing it now. In a book released in 2020, not 1980.

It's not like the new movies are much better. The bad guy wants to fight the Nazis because he believes wizards will be their next target where as the good guys don't want to get involved since it's just muggles killing muggles.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

duz posted:

It's not like the new movies are much better. The bad guy wants to fight the Nazis because he believes wizards will be their next target where as the good guys don't want to get involved since it's just muggles killing muggles.

Wizards pretty much operate by the Tory logic behind Brexit, so that makes sense for them. Wizards could heal every disease and fix every problem in the world, but they won't because gently caress the muggles, they're not us and it's not our problem. An isolationist argument about the rise of the German war machine seems perfectly consistent.

The choice that broke my brain was Queenie, a witch whose MO is that she loves a muggle but can't marry him because the magical government has laws about miscegenation. She's SO mad about it, she joins up with Grindelwald, a dark wizard who wants to dominate the muggle world and assert pureblood supremacy, and who gives a speech about how muggles and wizards are just too different to peacefully coexist. When Queenie's muggle boyfriend tells her that decision is crazy, I guess she decides to join Grindelwald out of spite, instead.

It's more galling given the fact that Grindelwald is plainly a brownshirt Nazi type, with a castle in the Austrian mountains and what-not, while Queenie and Tina Goldstein are coded as New York Jews. These movies are bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's kind of wild still remembering when Harry Potter was the book conservative christian parents wouldn't let their kids read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they still won’t. Rowling’s got a lot of opinions they wouldn’t like even if she does the TERF thing of letting that stuff dominate them