Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hey, I'm in the credits for Aperture Desk Job. My first ever media credit :nsacloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

nintendo shook beyond repair

#fired4truth

ColdPie posted:

Hey, I'm in the credits for Aperture Desk Job. My first ever media credit :nsacloud:

nice :)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Initial impressions, overall positive?
  • Sticks are stiff as reported, but after a couple of hours I was used to it.
  • For me L4/R4 are comfortable to press, L5/R5 aren't. So there's a decent number of usable buttons on this thing.
  • So far every obscure old and new Steam game I've thrown at it has run without any graphical or stability issues. Default and community control setups are often terrible, but the rebinding features are comprehensive and you can mess with them on-the-fly while the game is running. I don't think I like the touchpads enough to play Civ with it any time soon, though, and even touchscreen Slay the Spire feels a tiny bit awkward.
  • Aside from a required bios update (which will apparently only be a thing for the first batch) nothing about the Deck has yet reminded me that it's a PC, not a console. You can find the desktop if you hunt for it but it's definitely not surfaced.
  • System software does feel like it's lagging behind the rest of the product - nothing new there for a hardware launch. I've had a couple of bugs with it, and I haven't been able to get it to auto-switch wifi networks the way you'd expect a mobile device to. Feels like classic teething troubles.
Haven't tried anything non-Steam yet. I'll probably try to get the itch launcher figured out next?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

For Slay the Spire, you may want to set it to touchscreen mode in settings, if it doesn’t default to that. It has an separate UI mode that behaves better with a finger than a mouse.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Can you not play it with the gamepad controls? Cause the switch version plays great, faster than with a mouse once you get used to it

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you're doing Slay the Spire touch screen tests, could you please try Dicey Dungeons if you have it? I've been waiting for a fix to the 'end turn' button issue that skips your turn. Here is a description:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/861540/discussions/0/3108018050526099687/

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

Can you not play it with the gamepad controls? Cause the switch version plays great, faster than with a mouse once you get used to it

Yeah those work. They specified touchscreen though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KakerMix posted:

Microsoft :tinfoil:

MS has bee moving stuff off their own launchers and into steam. Phil Spencer has gone out of is way to praise the deck and has talked with Valve about getting Game Pass into Steam (and potentially into the Deck). Microsoft doesn't care about keeping you in Windows if you're sending them money.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Microsoft sells stuff on Steam to make buying games look bad in comparison to subscribing to Game Pass.

The future that Microsoft wants is one where the only way to install software is to buy it or (preferably) rent it from Microsoft, and they've shipped multiple versions of Windows where this is your only choice.

The reason the Steam Deck exists at all is to protect Valve from this future by divorcing the Steam store from the Windows platform, and the whole reason why it is a niche portable low-power gaming device is that it allows Valve to hand-wave away all the compatibility issues brought on by not using Windows in the first place.

Microsoft will never lift a finger to help any games run on the Steam Deck, future Microsoft games will probably be actively designed not work on Proton, and they're probably looking into intellectual property lawsuits regarding Wine or Steam's transcoding of Microsoft codecs or whatever right now in order to kill off the Steam Deck entirely.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

pseudorandom name posted:

Microsoft sells stuff on Steam to make buying games look bad in comparison to subscribing to Game Pass.

The future that Microsoft wants is one where the only way to install software is to buy it or (preferably) rent it from Microsoft, and they've shipped multiple versions of Windows where this is your only choice.

The reason the Steam Deck exists at all is to protect Valve from this future by divorcing the Steam store from the Windows platform, and the whole reason why it is a niche portable low-power gaming device is that it allows Valve to hand-wave away all the compatibility issues brought on by not using Windows in the first place.

Microsoft will never lift a finger to help any games run on the Steam Deck, future Microsoft games will probably be actively designed not work on Proton, and they're probably looking into intellectual property lawsuits regarding Wine or Steam's transcoding of Microsoft codecs or whatever right now in order to kill off the Steam Deck entirely.

you: "microsoft only wants gamepass on windows and will actively do work to block it on from working anywhere else, here's absolutely zero sources"

phil spencer (ceo of microsoft gaming):

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1426324572626845697?s=20&t=q9Kv4nkAwy1Wbkik2yw81A

https://www.polygon.com/22954890/steam-deck-xbox-game-pass-pc-games-valve-microsoft

quote:

Newell said that Valve and Microsoft have spoken already about selling Game Pass subscriptions on Steam. “If your customers want it, then you should figure out how to make it happen,” he told PC Gamer. “That’s where we’re at.”

https://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-everywhere-phil-spencer-wants-an-xbox-app-on-as-many-devices-as-possible/

quote:

Xbox Everywhere: Phil Spencer wants an Xbox app on as many devices as possible

So, the Xbox app on Switch then, I ask again. "You know, it's the right question because people usually ask me about releasing one individual game or another. And what I say is I want the full Xbox experience to be something that we deliver. We have no plans to bring it to any other kind of closed platforms right now, mainly because those closed platforms don't want something like Game Pass. There's a ton of open platforms out there for us to grow in: the web, PC, and mobile. So all of our focus, frankly, is on those platforms."

Later on he says that he totally understands why that's the case ("That's not a slam on anybody else who has a system that works for them. I can see why the disruption of Game Pass is not something that they want right now.") But the concept of Xbox existing on other consoles is not a total dead-end, at least not in Spencer's vision. "In the end," he says with a smile, "when we say we want everybody to be able to play on Xbox, we really mean if we can bring that full experience to a device that players want, we are totally open to those discussions."

um, hmm, well

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You do understand the concept of lying, right?

Here's a simple question for you:

Which world would Microsoft prefer: one where software can be purchased from somebody other than Microsoft, or one where all software must be rented from Microsoft?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Microsoft doesn't care where you play their games, so long as you're giving them money. If they can get Gamepass on Steam, they'll do it. Hell, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance of getting Xcloud apps on Switch or PlayStation if Nintendo or Sony would play ball.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Microsoft could easily help all games work on Steam OS if they wanted to, I mean it's literally their APIs that games in windows run on and that developers have reverse engineered.

Also I doubt MS wants gamepass to run on all platforms, it's big talk, but never comes to much.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 2, 2022

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
And I'm sure I saw an article where gabe said valve was open to working with microsoft to support gamepass on steam. Valve's motive was just to have a divorced os room in case ms pulls some kind of hard drm lock or anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

Veotax posted:

Microsoft doesn't care where you play their games, so long as you're giving them money. If they can get Gamepass on Steam, they'll do it. Hell, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance of getting Xcloud apps on Switch or PlayStation if Nintendo or Sony would play ball.

yeah for real

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Veotax posted:

Microsoft absolutely does care where you play games or use any kind of software at all, they want the only possible way for you to run a program is by renting it from their app store and any platform that doesn't force you to rent your software from Microsoft is an obstacle to that goal.

Microsoft doesn't want iOS to exist, they don't want Android to exist, they don't want PlayStations to exist, or Switches or Rokus or smart TVs or Stadia or Steam Decks or literally any kind of device that gives revenue to any other company besides Microsoft.

If you don't understand this then you don't understand capitalism.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

...revenue would go to Microsoft if Game Pass is on Steam. the number crunchers at Microsoft understand that having their stuff on as many platforms as possible = more $$ for them. hardware has always been a loss leader for them

also you do realize that windows phone doesn't exist anymore right

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 2, 2022

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Slay the Spire: I couldn't get controller to work at all for some reason; even with it enabled in the game's own options and using the default Steam controller config it didn't seem to respond to any buttons. I might be missing something? I hadn't noticed the Touchscreen mode in the options, though. That does seem to make it play better with touch, though I still get some slight oddities, like cards occasionally grabbing selection for no obvious reason.

Heran Bago posted:

If you're doing Slay the Spire touch screen tests, could you please try Dicey Dungeons if you have it? I've been waiting for a fix to the 'end turn' button issue that skips your turn. Here is a description:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/861540/discussions/0/3108018050526099687/

This seems to work fine, I'm not getting any skipped turns. I feel like the Deck may be using the screen like a mouse emulator in DD rather than a true touchscreen, so that might explain the difference? It leaves behind a mouse cursor wherever you touch, for example, which presumably native touchscreen behaviour wouldn't.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I was mostly joking about the tinfoil MS comment but there is also truth in it.

MS does dumb stupid poo poo all the time, or shall I point to how they desperately want to force you to use Edge? They will just as easily do the same Games for Windows Live poo poo in the future.

Don't confuse what is the best for the company with what will actually happen. Yeah, they should just want to sell as many Gamepass subscriptions as possible but hubris and corporate in-fighting and ego always gets in the way.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The gamepass store is still awful on PC and just barely out of the stage where they have proprietary installs and still use different versions of games for some reason. They have had years with it and there is no indication they care about other platforms. Also Spencer praising the deck is funny considering that not all games work because of DirectX APIs being tied to Windows.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Their store is so poo poo a sizable number of people are willing to pay an order of magnitude more for a single game rather than a subscription.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Microsoft absolutely does care where you play games or use any kind of software at all, they want the only possible way for you to run a program is by renting it from their app store and any platform that doesn't force you to rent your software from Microsoft is an obstacle to that goal.

Microsoft doesn't want iOS to exist, they don't want Android to exist, they don't want PlayStations to exist, or Switches or Rokus or smart TVs or Stadia or Steam Decks or literally any kind of device that gives revenue to any other company besides Microsoft.

If you don't understand this then you don't understand capitalism.

You should look up what truism is and then stop posting about loving capitalism in a thread about a nerd gadget.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Vic posted:

You should look up what truism is and then stop posting about loving capitalism in a thread about a nerd gadget.

As somebody who works in tech: they're right. None of the tech majors, nor a significant portion of smaller firms, want open ecosystems right now, they all want their own walled garden because those are incredibly lucrative. The only limiting factor is that they don't want to look too consumer-hostile.

Game pass might or might not end up on other platforms, but Microsoft as a whole would very much rather other operating systems and/or gaming platforms not exist, despite any lip service paid to "open platforms".

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You do understand the concept of lying, right?

Here's a simple question for you:

Which world would Microsoft prefer: one where software can be purchased from somebody other than Microsoft, or one where all software must be rented from Microsoft?

ah yes, the constant terrible lies from phil spencer the dude running microsoft's gaming platform for the past 14 years who gives tons of interviews and has a good relationship with customers and press alike
and who says microsoft wants to make game pass available on as many platforms as possible??? it's not like microsoft has been telling everyone that that's their strategy
you're right, clearly microsoft does not want game pass on other platform, especially not platforms like android and iOS or in a web browser that one might use while running linux

I guess the only thing we know for sure is that forums poster psuedorandom name knows best!!

Rusty posted:

The gamepass store is still awful on PC and just barely out of the stage where they have proprietary installs and still use different versions of games for some reason. They have had years with it and there is no indication they care about other platforms. Also Spencer praising the deck is funny considering that not all games work because of DirectX APIs being tied to Windows.
They just recently updated it so it works like steam (regular installs in a regular folder open to mods and whatever). They beta'd it last november/december
https://www.polygon.com/22776946/xbox-app-pc-windows-microsoft-update-improvements-game-pass

quote:

As of Thursday, Xbox Insiders get to test out a grab bag of features on PC, including Xbox Cloud Gaming and, for the first time, modding. In addition, the app will also unroll more general improvements: the ability to choose separate drives for game installation, and improvements for download speed, to name a couple. The update is already live for Xbox Insiders to test, and will roll out to the rest of users at a later date.

and today they pushed it live for everyone:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/03/01/xbox-game-pass-march-update-2022/?ocid=XGP_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_3.1.22

quote:

First up, a big thank you to all the Xbox Insiders who helped us in the recent round of testing the Xbox app. Because of the great feedback we received, we’re happy to share that the newest Installation and Game Management features are available for the Xbox app on PC! This is what it means for you:

*You now have the option to choose what folder your games get installed to
*Access to files for select games you’ve installed, as well as options to repair and move your games
*Ability to mod more games
*You won’t have to re-install your existing games, just right click on them in the left-hand side of your app and click on “manage,” then “enable.” You can also move and repair your games from here.

To install the latest Xbox app updates and get access today, open the Microsoft Store app on Windows, then navigate to your Library and select ‘Update’ next to the Xbox app.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Samopsa posted:

ah yes, the constant terrible lies from phil spencer the dude running microsoft's gaming platform for the past 14 years who gives tons of interviews and has a good relationship with customers and press alike
and who says microsoft wants to make game pass available on as many platforms as possible??? it's not like microsoft has been telling everyone that that's their strategy
you're right, clearly microsoft does not want game pass on other platform, especially not platforms like android and iOS or in a web browser that one might use while running linux

I guess the only thing we know for sure is that forums poster psuedorandom name knows best!!

They just recently updated it so it works like steam (regular installs in a regular folder open to mods and whatever). They beta'd it last november/december
https://www.polygon.com/22776946/xbox-app-pc-windows-microsoft-update-improvements-game-pass

and today they pushed it live for everyone:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/03/01/xbox-game-pass-march-update-2022/?ocid=XGP_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_3.1.22

you're just a microsoft shill :v:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
That's why I said barely out of that stage, I am referring to them finally doing win32 installs like they require of everyone else. They still use different versions of some games I believe possibly for encryption so you can't keep when they remove it, but I can't say for sure. What I can say is that for sure want it to be a Windows and Xbox platform. The X-cloud stuff runs on their server farms so it doesn't surprise me they have them on IOS and android, but that is still their business, in fact it's their biggest business, the enterprise server stuff. I am sure MS would like nothing more than to move games in to their Azure cloud.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

drat, detective cowman sees right trough my lies! I'm actually phil spencer, welcome to microsofts windows only gaming emperium, dear goons.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Arcsech posted:

As somebody who works in tech: they're right. None of the tech majors, nor a significant portion of smaller firms, want open ecosystems right now, they all want their own walled garden because those are incredibly lucrative. The only limiting factor is that they don't want to look too consumer-hostile.

Game pass might or might not end up on other platforms, but Microsoft as a whole would very much rather other operating systems and/or gaming platforms not exist, despite any lip service paid to "open platforms".

Thank you for bringing this secret tech insider information to light. Can you comment on whether or not Microsoft likes profit? I heard rumors that say yes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Vic posted:

Thank you for bringing this secret tech insider information to light. Can you comment on whether or not Microsoft likes profit? I heard rumors that say yes.

Define "profit" if you would please thanks

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Arcsech posted:

Thirding this comment as someone who works in tech. This is why Windows only works on hardware manufactured by Microsoft.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

nintendo shook beyond repair

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

:getin: or get out.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thank God a bunch of goons rushed in out of breath to say Game Pass won't ever be available on Steam so it'll happen now

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

grieving for Gandalf posted:

thank God a bunch of goons rushed in out of breath to say Game Pass won't ever be available on Steam so it'll happen now

Before that it was goons rushing in out of breath to say the steam deck was a flop, total failure, can barely run games even!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That's still true and you should cancel your preorders if you are in Q1.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Steam Deck Review if you have small hands and nails and sweaty palms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErW52_kqr7I

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/03/castlevania-advance-collection-works-on-steam-deck-despite-what-konami-say/

:ms:to the surprise of no-one.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Courtesy of reddit via google amp, it appears steamos 3 is sort of released. Specifically the image used on the deck. This isn't the full release but a backup image for deck users who may need to fresh install. Reportedly, however, people have gotten it to run inside vbox among others if so inclined.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download/?ver=steamdeck&snr=

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

NRVNQSR posted:

This seems to work fine, I'm not getting any skipped turns. I feel like the Deck may be using the screen like a mouse emulator in DD rather than a true touchscreen, so that might explain the difference? It leaves behind a mouse cursor wherever you touch, for example, which presumably native touchscreen behaviour wouldn't.

Thank you so much! In Windows it interprets your new touch as a very fast click-and-drag from the "mouse's" "old location" to wherever your finger just went down. If your last input was a tap on the 'end turn' button and your turn comes up you're hosed.

Now I'm actually excited for this thing.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Thank you so much! In Windows it interprets your new touch as a very fast click-and-drag from the "mouse's" "old location" to wherever your finger just went down. If your last input was a tap on the 'end turn' button and your turn comes up you're hosed.

Yeah, that seems to be fine using the Deck's touchscreen. I can see the "End turn" button with a hover highlight at the start of my turn, when I tap or drag elsewhere the highlight goes away without ending the turn, so it doesn't seem like there's an extra click on the old position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SteamOS takes up 30 gigs which kinda seems like a lot.