Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Erm... this doesn't seem good. Can a bigger brain person please explain possible implications?

Their economy is crashing, and Putin needs to demonstrate strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Erm... this doesn't seem good. Can a bigger brain person please explain possible implications?

1: Everything is fine comrade. Here, drink some tea and/or try this perfume.

2: It's an unconfirmed tweet.

3: War is unpopular with Russian people (I assume) and cutting off non-state media hasn't been as successful as it was pre-internet at suppressing news about losses in an unpopular war.

If true, I'm hopeful: Opined I like a Russian colour revolution leading to meaningful democratic reform out of this in the Feb thread. Not worth the lives of the '000s of people it's taken to get to this point (if true, and if it happens, you'll note there are a lot of 'ifs'), but I'll take any silver lining I can get.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Naked Bear posted:

poo poo, I take it back. I kind of wish I had a truck to try this with now.

Ehhh. It's not that interesting, really. And pressure will not build back quickly. It would take about half an hour on something like an LMTV to break the lugnuts loose off truck air. Then another half hour to get enough air to tighten them back down. It's significantly faster to use a very long breaker bar and 2-4 troops (someone often has to hold the socket to the nut).

Annoyingly, air is also used to lower and raise the spare behind the cab on an LMTV. Also the cab. Military vehicles are a spiderweb of air lines laid within a spiderweb of hydraulic and electrical circuits.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BUG JUG posted:

i mean...are we sure any of the stuff they have there is useable? just make them drive it a couple blocks and see what's still running.

This gives them some scary rear end powers even more than what they have now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law_in_Russia

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Much like how the invasion most likely happened due to internal reasons (i.e. Putin clinging on to power), this could well be the same thing.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Marshal Prolapse posted:

This gives them some scary rear end powers even more than what they have now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law_in_Russia

Tbf what the legislature or a piece of paper says is legal or not hasn't mattered much in Russia the past few centuries or so

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
not sure if y'all have posted this since it's like a half-day old, but jesus christ they turned molotov cocktail-making into a community-building event, like a loving potluck

https://twitter.com/hackingbutlegal/status/1499027208555401222

live, laugh, love (to kill invading russians)

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Naked Bear posted:

poo poo, I take it back. I kind of wish I had a truck to try this with now.

Our trucks had a premade kit on it with an adapter to fill tires. We would use it to fill up the tires on our antenna trailer.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

not sure if y'all have posted this since it's like a half-day old, but jesus christ they turned molotov cocktail-making into a community-building event, like a loving potluck

https://twitter.com/hackingbutlegal/status/1499027208555401222

live, laugh, love (to kill invading russians)

Adding styrofoam for thickening. Clever.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Today's Angry Planet on the invasion is pretty good and is worth a listen. The guest did raise some points of potential escalation with the West that I hadn't considered and may be a problem given Putin's state of mind, particularly Russian "active measures" against the European supply of Ukraine. They'd apparently bombed a Czech weapons depot a few years back because the stock was intended for Ukraine. If similar measures were taken in the current climate, particularly against a country with a particular anti-Russia animus, things would be at risk of hotting up.

Also re-emphasized to me just how big of a win Putin stopping at recognizing his puppet separatists would have been. Ukraine would have been left economically destabilized; the West would have looked to be crying wolf; Russian lives wouldn't have been fed into a meat grinder. All he had to do was declare that his aims had been achieved and everyone on his side would have completely memory-holed the more expansive demands.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Probably best to be ignored until there's more reliable sources saying the same. Original tweet is from some rando low-follower account who doesn't live in Russia anymore and may just be putting out wishful thinking.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Adding styrofoam for thickening. Clever.

It's just homebrew napalm at that point. poo poo, I remember that from the anarchist cookbook I found back in highschool

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ASAPI posted:

Our trucks had a premade kit on it with an adapter to fill tires. We would use it to fill up the tires on our antenna trailer.

That's really the best alternate use of truck air. Any half decent unit will have a maintenance team running around anyhow, handling the bigger problems and dragging around a trailer mounted compressor.

You really don't want to swap out PLS or HEMTT tires without air. And on poo poo like M915s, that use standard tubeless tractor-trailer tires, if you lose an outside tire on your duals, it's faster to leave the rim fastened in place and swap the tire directly on the truck. Not like balancing duals does poo poo anyhow.

E: gladhand air chuck

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's really the best alternate use of truck air. Any half decent unit will have a maintenance team running around anyhow, handling the bigger problems and dragging around a trailer mounted compressor.

You really don't want to swap out PLS or HEMTT tires without air. And on poo poo like M915s, that use standard tubeless tractor-trailer tires, if you lose an outside tire on your duals, it's faster to leave the rim fastened in place and swap the tire directly on the truck. Not like balancing duals does poo poo anyhow.

That was exactly what we had. Fit in a little box with some other tools or some such.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Churchill posted:

Tbf what the legislature or a piece of paper says is legal or not hasn't mattered much in Russia the past few centuries or so

That’s true, but it’s more related to legitimating it as legal under color of law. Things even like forced labor.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That’s true, but it’s more related to legitimating it as legal under color of law. Things even like forced labor.

I can't believe Ukraine is making Russia force citizens into slavery!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

So on top of the big brained invasion of Ukraine backfiring, now he's having to take heavy armor and vehicles to use them to cling to power against his own citizens who he's pissed off instead of flinging said vehicles across the border. :downsbravo:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
putin mad russia never had their own Tienanmen

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

putin mad russia never had their own Tienanmen

Russia has had MANY.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

They'd apparently bombed a Czech weapons depot a few years back because the stock was intended for Ukraine.

Sorry for not listening to a podcast, but what the gently caress? The Russians blew up something in the Czech Republic in recent years? Like, not 1968?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

bennyfactor posted:

Sorry for not listening to a podcast, but what the gently caress? The Russians blew up something in the Czech Republic in recent years? Like, not 1968?

Yes

Also:

https://twitter.com/iAmTheWarax/status/1499154073014185985

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I feel we're making the same point, whether it's actually legitimate or not doesn't really matter. To me it seems that it's not about legitimacy but rather expanding options on how to handle protests in Moscow.

E: sorry, I'm basically just repeating what you said aren't I. Disregard my post

Churchill fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 3, 2022

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
I mean, it sounds like if there’s a second protest location across the city they could probably go there and the tanks wouldn’t be able to follow

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Arrath posted:

Random question: does CTIS also function as onboard air? Like, is there a 1/4" Quick coupler or 3/4" chicago fitting so you can hook up air tools and effect repairs easier?

It could. Someone earlier mentioned that humvees were designed to have it, and most military vehicles, especially with portal axles offer it as an option [Volvo C303, Unimog, etc]. Problem is it can be prone to leaks and was not a standard feature for 99% of the HMMWV's sold.

It's a standard option on my 1998 Hummer, and it has a 100% duty cycle industrial air pump but the CFM is super low like 1CFM or so, more than enough to continuously air up a leaking/cut tire while driving and to run lower power tools, I got an air chuck put onto a t-fitting since all the hardware on the truck is 1/4" NPT. I had a friend put a high CFM viair pump on his and mount one of home depot Hitachi air tanks under the right rear fender and was able to run normal air tools for a few minutes at a time. Neat but easier to just run your typical battery pack tools or on some the military trucks that have the big gently caress off impact wrenches that run off the vehicles electrical system.

The bigger trucks that have CTIS *may* have higher CFM systems but it really depends on who designed it and how it routes into the systems drive train seals/vent seals. Push too much air through a CTIS system and you might end up pushing/sucking diesel into a hub or transmission fluid into an air filter vent line and other strange poo poo. AM General just kit bashed some random bullshit together for the HMMWV, some of the bigger trucks use systems designed by Eaton / Mertior / Hutchingson, etc.

If you have quick disconnects on each wheel and have per axle control for CTIS you can do some stupid pet tricks, like treating each working tire as an air tank. If you have to reseat a tire, you can max out the air on the other tire on the same axle, disconnect it and then service the wheel on the other side, when you need to air up, just connect both tires to the same axle and you'll have your newly mounted tire inflated in a few seconds to something you can get moving on [and air up on the move].

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 3, 2022

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I have a feeing Putin's gonna get Nicholas II'd. It seems nobody wants this war except him.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.quora.com/How-strong-is-the-Russian-military%E2%80%99s-might/answer/Misha-Firer

From Nov 13 2021. Jeeeeeesus.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

poo poo some US cop joined up?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Today's Angry Planet on the invasion is pretty good and is worth a listen. The guest did raise some points of potential escalation with the West that I hadn't considered and may be a problem given Putin's state of mind, particularly Russian "active measures" against the European supply of Ukraine. They'd apparently bombed a Czech weapons depot a few years back because the stock was intended for Ukraine. If similar measures were taken in the current climate, particularly against a country with a particular anti-Russia animus, things would be at risk of hotting up.

Yeah we aren't remotely out of the woods on this. It's why I haven't bothered buying my monthly scratch off. Nothing will be more likely to precipitate the eschaton than me winning something

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Crab Dad posted:

poo poo some US cop joined up?

Cspam's ears perk up: "Let me tell you about the Az-

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ehhh. It's not that interesting, really. And pressure will not build back quickly. It would take about half an hour on something like an LMTV to break the lugnuts loose off truck air. Then another half hour to get enough air to tighten them back down. It's significantly faster to use a very long breaker bar and 2-4 troops (someone often has to hold the socket to the nut).

Annoyingly, air is also used to lower and raise the spare behind the cab on an LMTV. Also the cab. Military vehicles are a spiderweb of air lines laid within a spiderweb of hydraulic and electrical circuits.
Yeah, I distinctly remember one of ours having issues with both the cab and crane. Super fun, thank gently caress it wasn't mine. Great trucks otherwise, though: you can drive the hell out of them off road and they're way more zippy than they have any reason to be.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

... this seems like it should be stupidly obvious, so I'm wondering why it seems like I'm seeing this for the first time. :confused:

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the punisher skull is a symbol of douchebags worldwide

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Is this Winter War 2.0? Because man these guys seem to not know wtf they're doing. And it's confirmed that a lot of them didn't even know they'd be fighting Ukrainians.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm just like... How far west did y'all think you were going?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Naked Bear posted:

Yeah, I distinctly remember one of ours having issues with both the cab and crane. Super fun, thank gently caress it wasn't mine. Great trucks otherwise, though: you can drive the hell out of them off road and they're way more zippy than they have any reason to be.

... this seems like it should be stupidly obvious, so I'm wondering why it seems like I'm seeing this for the first time. :confused:

better get to pumping that hydraulic system, airborne.

Also, Crusty mentioned the run flats in HMMWVs earlier and I flashed back to the GAA and ratchet strap nightmare we had to use to get those fuckers mounted. Just smelling like grease for the rest of the day. Its been 12 years since I was in a motorpool but some stuff haunts you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Is this Winter War 2.0? Because man these guys seem to not know wtf they're doing. And it's confirmed that a lot of them didn't even know they'd be fighting Ukrainians.

they pulled the same poo poo in chechnya back in 95.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
This is loving wild. I wonder how much understanding US intel had of the dire state of the Russian military as Putin started beating the war drums. Would think that, if poo poo like that ghost base is rampant, it would be pretty evident in satellite photos.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Carteret posted:

better get to pumping that hydraulic system, airborne.

Also, Crusty mentioned the run flats in HMMWVs earlier and I flashed back to the GAA and ratchet strap nightmare we had to use to get those fuckers mounted. Just smelling like grease for the rest of the day. Its been 12 years since I was in a motorpool but some stuff haunts you

I'd honestly rather spend my days airing up split rims without a cage than swap a rubber run flat donut ever again.

My section NCOIC ordered us a bucket of tire slickee with a company credit card, a viscous lubricant to slather on a bead while shoving a tire on a rim. Worked great in concert with ratchet straps. Still sucked, but we'd bring the operators out and make them play tire jockey while we did other poo poo like hubs or gently caress with those goddamn inboard brakes.

I always smelled like grease. Or diesel. Or burnt gear oil. And all manners of tobacco smoke. Kinda miss the burnt gear oil smell.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1499052393069260807?t=12GNcq5lG7WjjqPsIJGoJg&s=19
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1499072643508678664?t=7GaHO6BaLGdAEIPF23EoEw&s=19

Now go after Russian money backed GOP fuckers and douchebags.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm just like... How far west did y'all think you were going?

To Russia

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I was about to say.. Be funny if this turns up a direct link between Trump and Russian money that they hadn't already found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is loving wild. I wonder how much understanding US intel had of the dire state of the Russian military as Putin started beating the war drums. Would think that, if poo poo like that ghost base is rampant, it would be pretty evident in satellite photos.

This ran in nytimes 1/27/2022

quote:

Russia’s Military, Once Creaky, Is Modern and Lethal

MOSCOW — In the early years of Vladimir V. Putin’s tenure as Russia’s leader, the country’s military was a hollowed-out but nuclear-armed shell.

It struggled to keep submarines afloat in the Arctic and an outgunned insurgency at bay in Chechnya. Senior officers sometimes lived in moldy, rat-infested tenements. And instead of socks, poorly trained soldiers often wrapped their feet in swaths of cloth, the way their Soviet and Tsarist predecessors had.

Two decades later, it is a far different fighting force that has massed near the border with Ukraine. Under Mr. Putin’s leadership, it has been overhauled into a modern sophisticated army, able to deploy quickly and with lethal effect in conventional conflicts, military analysts said. It features precision-guided weaponry, a newly streamlined command structure and well-fed and professional soldiers. And they still have the nuclear weapons.
Who would have thought “well fed” would be a major issue?

quote:

Russian forces quickly overwhelmed their much smaller Georgian neighbors, but the war uncovered deep deficiencies in the Russian military. Ground troops were not in radio contact with the Air Force, leading to several serious friendly fire attacks. Communications were so bad that some officers had to use their personal cellphones. Tanks and armored personnel carriers broke down frequently.

The failures prompted a massive shake-up of the Russian armed forces. The Soviet military’s prowess at land warfare was revived, with improvements such as revamped artillery technology, according to Mathieu Boulègue, a research fellow in the Russia and Eurasia program at Chatham House in London.

Just over a decade later, Russia’s tools of electronic warfare, which can be used to intercept or jam enemy communications and knock drones off course and out of the sky, are believed far superior to the U.S. military’s, analysts said.

“We’re playing catch-up now,” General Hodges said. “For the last 20 years, we were focused on iPhones or cellphones and terrorist networks, while they continued to develop substantial, powerful jamming and intercept capabilities.”

Sounds like last generation iPhones would be a major upgrade from those junk radios they brought

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/27/world/europe/russia-military-putin-ukraine.html