Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

So much for the great UK-Australia trade agreement, smdh that we can't even keep Neighbours going after Brexit.

They should end the show with either a) it was all a kangaroo's dream or b) getting nuked by Putin or similar.

I'd also settle for Harold/Carl goes postal if either of them is still alive.

Both of them at once, back from the dead.

I watched Neighbours once. It was incomprehensible. Anime has nothing on soap operas in episodes that are about 10% plot, 60% characters reacting to things and restating things, and 30% previews and recaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

I once heard a Jeremey Vine phone in "debate" of "centigrade vs Fahrenheit" and let me tell you it was a treat. Someone phoned in to say "actually of course we should use Kelvin" and united the other two "experts" in rage.

That was years ago so I can only assume he has now fully internalised his "I'm just asking questions!" shtick and is essentially an ambulatory headline.

I remember being given a lift home while he was talking to some churchy bloke about the problem of bats among the high ceilings. He asked why the bats couldn't live there, and was told that eventually the guano will cause serious structural issues in the ceiling. He asked why they couldn't be shooed, and was told that they don't really care what you do dozens of meters below where they nap. He asked why you couldn't throw them out, and was told that bats are not safe to handle without training and hazmat gear.

"Ok, but why not use a broom?"
"Well as you know lots of churches have high rooves"
"... Ok, but why not use a very long broom?"

There were a few seconds of silence and then my memory ends. I have thought about this exchange while high on acid. I have thought about it before being anaesthetised. I believe it will be my last thought as I die.

Necrothatcher posted:

He went down like a champ pulling receipts on some guy's dickhead posts.

Dulce et decorum est pro fora scribi

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Spangly A posted:

I remember being given a lift home while he was talking to some churchy bloke about the problem of bats among the high ceilings. He asked why the bats couldn't live there, and was told that eventually the guano will cause serious structural issues in the ceiling. He asked why they couldn't be shooed, and was told that they don't really care what you do dozens of meters below where they nap. He asked why you couldn't throw them out, and was told that bats are not safe to handle without training and hazmat gear.

There were a few seconds of silence and then my memory ends. I have thought about this exchange while high on acid. I have thought about it before being anaesthetised. I believe it will be my last thought as I die.

Pretty sure this is a plot point in Disco Elysium

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

I believe it will be my last thought as I die.
Especially if you die from someone trying to wave around a 50m long pole with a brush head on the end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Were In in a church I would simply assemble the big sticks they have into a 30 foot sarissa and attack the bats in a phalanx. Alternatively I am sure the thurible guy could probably throw it like a bolas.

I swear I used to know what they call the sticks they have stuck next to the pews for to hit the congregation with if they get rowdy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 3, 2022

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Marmaduke! posted:

In the void inside his head, he imbibes the mother's love

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

So much for the great UK-Australia trade agreement, smdh that we can't even keep Neighbours going after Brexit.

They should end the show with either a) it was all a kangaroo's dream or b) getting nuked by Putin or similar.

I'd also settle for Harold/Carl goes postal if either of them is still alive.

How about Toadfish in a mental institution, with the viewer finding out that he killed everyone on the street back in 1998 and has imagined the rest of the series.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

He went down like a champ pulling receipts on some guy's dickhead posts.

Some other guy got probed for calling the obvious Nazi posting obvious Russian propaganda 'a disgusting human being'. That, too, is apparently posting about posters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice to see the value neutral moderation going as well as expected then.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah you'd think of all of them d&d mods would try to avoid coming down on people for having takes they disagree with but honestly I've seen some pretty bad faith and obviously ideological probes on this forum, ukmt seems cool though and usually there's a decent reason

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Marmaduke! posted:

Ah the hidden Disco Elysium Jeremy Vine Cop archetype! "But why can't I just arrest everyone? What even is crime?"

Brendan Rodgers posted:

How about Toadfish in a mental institution, with the viewer finding out that he killed everyone on the street back in 1998 and has imagined the rest of the series.

That'd be a good one. Wasn't there some domestic soap that ended with like a tanker crashing and blowing the whole place up?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pretty sure Brookside ended with a siege of armed robbers holed up in the close climaxing in a helicopter crash.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What's actually happening in Neighbours right now? Established soaps are usually bulletproof until they go off the rails like Brookside did, so I assume it's done something similar.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Pistol_Pete posted:

a medium sized bag of chocolate coated pretzels was £11 ffs.

This isn't even what you were talking about but oh my God Flipz chocolate pretzels are orgasmically good. God only knows who actually makes them or where they came from. Space? Hell?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Toadfish ár Lá.

I have never watched neighbours but since I read this post and the name "toadfish" that has been in my head and if I don't post it it won't leave my head so I have posted it and now everyone else has to deal with it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 3, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

There's a by-election today and I hope Labour get their poo poo pushed in by Big Dave Nellist.

Probably won't though, had >50% in 2019.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Spangly A posted:

Dulce et decorum est pro fora scribi

Bats chat:
More to the point he better hope the bat conservation people don't get on to him and serve a conservation notice. else he'll be stuck with them causing ever more stench and structural problems! Had a problem like this in a former home of my folks. It was horrendous. They strangely disappeared one day after dad accidentally sprayed some stuff about. Can't think why.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

This isn't even what you were talking about but oh my God Flipz chocolate pretzels are orgasmically good. God only knows who actually makes them or where they came from. Space? Hell?

There were some white chocolate ones of those for a while, I'm sure it was Home Bargains I used to get them from. No more though :(

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 3, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They should put some of them bat shelters up about the place.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What's actually happening in Neighbours right now? Established soaps are usually bulletproof until they go off the rails like Brookside did, so I assume it's done something similar.
I don't think it was particularly popular in Australia, and it was largely kept afloat by UKTV. C5 decided it wasn't worth the money, probably compared to some cheap quiz show or reality pap, and once they didn't renew, games over.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 3, 2022

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to cheer on the proxy war frankly I don't think you should be complaining when our most terrible weapons are unleashed indiscriminately.

That’s how good ronyas become good friends.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Pretty sure Brookside ended with a siege of armed robbers holed up in the close climaxing in a helicopter crash.

Didn't realise Brookside was directed by David Cronenburg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also wasn't it Emmerdale that had half the cast dying when a plane landed on the village lol

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And a lot of them in Xena Warrior Princess including Karl Urban and Bruce Campbell who I've seen in a few films in the past few years.
The Chin is a no-brainer, he's Ash! He was gonna turn up eventually. Not a Kiwi though. Look up Rose McIver, who is in the not-actively-bad US version of Ghosts.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Byker Grove ended with the cast writing their own ending when the characters become aware they are in a TV show. I think there was a t rex involved?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

To be fair to Jeremy Vine, he apologied:

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1499348997001170948

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Only Kindness posted:

The Chin is a no-brainer, he's Ash! He was gonna turn up eventually. Not a Kiwi though. Look up Rose McIver, who is in the not-actively-bad US version of Ghosts.

McIver is also the lead in iZombie which is the greatest comic book show ever made despite sounding lame as gently caress and sharing nothing with the comic book other than the title.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol sort of a pisspoor apology imo. like, i don't think people should necessarily be cancelled over one fuckup (depending on the fuckup) but i think it takes a special kind of superprick to say what he said in the first place. i mean, that's the nature of things? come the gently caress on

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Speaking of idiot cunts saying horrible poo poo, has it been confirmed yet if GB News is a Russian psyop?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

And how can he say he didn't take into account conscription when the caller specifically referred to kids being conscripted.

Utter oval office, always has been.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mediaphage posted:

lol sort of a pisspoor apology imo. like, i don't think people should necessarily be cancelled over one fuckup (depending on the fuckup) but i think it takes a special kind of superprick to say what he said in the first place. i mean, that's the nature of things? come the gently caress on

He's Jeremy Vine - he is a gently caress up

a constant and malignant one

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

"I was responding to a caller but that's no excuse."

"<here is an excuse><but that's no excuse><except it is, right?>"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What would be a satisfactory apology? He accepts responsibility and says he had no excuse.

What more could he offer?

You don't have accept his apology but this false pretence of "oh if he had done the right apology id forgive him" is fake.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 3, 2022

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

mediaphage posted:

Most people don’t apologise at all and double down. So this is probably as good as it’s possible to get; I can’t think of anything better he could have said after his fuckup tbh.

Did anyone get to attend the stop the war thing Corbyn spoke at? I went down a small rabbit hole following links from the Bad War Thread which led to a bunch of “Did You Know Ukrainian Neonazis Started It?” materials that I would like to believe were not genuinely distributed by Stop The War. The ultimate source was apparently the famously accurate Jewish Chronicle so I’m still holding out some hope that it was a legit event and this is some dickhead printing materials on his HP-Smart, rather than believing JC is platforming with a bunch of idiots saying “actually this time, give war a chance”.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

keep punching joe posted:

Speaking of idiot cunts saying horrible poo poo, has it been confirmed yet if GB News is a Russian psyop?

It would be a hoot to see Andrew Neil tried for treason

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

What would be a satisfactory apology? He accepts responsibility and says he had no excuse.

What more could he offer?

You don't have accept his apology but this false pretence of "oh if he had done the right apology id forgive him" is fake.

gently caress off; don't accuse me of faking poo poo

"false pretence" good grief

Beefeater1980 posted:

Most people don’t apologise at all and double down. So this is probably as good as it’s possible to get; I can’t think of anything better he could have said after his fuckup tbh.

Did anyone get to attend the stop the war thing Corbyn spoke at? I went down a small rabbit hole following links from the Bad War Thread which led to a bunch of “Did You Know Ukrainian Neonazis Started It?” materials that I would like to believe were not genuinely distributed by Stop The War. The ultimate source was apparently the famously accurate Jewish Chronicle so I’m still holding out some hope that it was a legit event and this is some dickhead printing materials on his HP-Smart, rather than believing JC is platforming with a bunch of idiots saying “actually this time, give war a chance”.

mostly i think it would be nice to see some actual understanding from him about why what he said was bad. the caller brought up conscription and he just dismissed it out of hand and imo the statement rings hollow. as i said i'm not suggesting he needs to have the show taken out back and shot or anything, i just think it would be good to see a little more pushback and discussion about empathy. even acknowledging it on-air would be another good step considering the fraction that might see it on twitter versus hear/watch it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mediaphage posted:

I think the point is that if it is a genuine fuckup in an otherwise good career, they own the fuckup and move on, then you should accept the apology.

If it's Jeremy Vine, who is generally a small minded man with nasty opinions, his apology is meaningless because he's going to continue to be a twat.

An apology is only an apology if the person genuinely realises what they did wrong and isn't going to do it again. It's not a set of magic words you screenshot in your notes app that stops people being mean on twitter.

Spangly A posted:

Everyone in the British media is Alan Partridge.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think the point is that if it is a genuine fuckup in an otherwise good career, they own the fuckup and move on, then you should accept the apology.

If it's Jeremy Vine, who is generally a small minded man with nasty opinions, his apology is meaningless because he's going to continue to be a twat.

An apology is only an apology if the person genuinely realises what they did wrong and isn't going to do it again. It's not a set of magic words you screenshot in your notes app that stops people being mean on twitter.

Everyone in the British media is Alan Partridge.

thanks, this is putting it better than i did

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

You can hardly say someone ‘deserves to die’ even if the enlisted because they believed patriotic nonsense (rather than being conscripted or enlisting because your a poor kid without a fit education and there aren’t many steady career options), how many people can actually claim to have a solid grip on life before, say, their mid twenties?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if an apology isn't accompanied by genuine remorse then it's meaningless

and from what I've seen of Jeremy Vine over the years I'm pretty sure genuine remorse is one of several emotions he's completely incapable of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/_tony_c_/status/1499388188099584001