Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I wonder if bungie metrics are showing much engagement with the crafting system

I was incredibly optimistic about it but I've crafted like four total guns and never Reshaped one outside of the tutorial

The impossible to obtain Patterns, steepn material costs and grind to level up a crappy gun have just sapped all interest in Crafting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
It'll be interesting to see where they take Crow's character in this season since it feels that they can't really take him much further without either making him the new Hunter vanguard or him peacing out to return to his old role as Mara's obidient little doggie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wonder if bungie metrics are showing much engagement with the crafting system

I was incredibly optimistic about it but I've crafted like four total guns and never Reshaped one outside of the tutorial

The impossible to obtain Patterns, steepn material costs and grind to level up a crappy gun have just sapped all interest in Crafting

The number one thing killing it for me is how long it takes to “level up” a gun to be able to put the perks you want on it, plus the fact that perks don’t stay unlocked to switch to freely after you buy them - you have to re-buy them every time. The latter I somewhat get because Bungie seems to have indicated that they’ve maxed out how much data they can store on a per-player basis and storing not just what items a player has but what things they have unlocked per item seems like a nightmare. But I’m trying to level up a decent PVP Ragnhild right now and it just absolutely sucks rear end, the kind of grind that makes me want to stop playing, not continue.

Sylphosaurus posted:

It'll be interesting to see where they take Crow's character in this season since it feels that they can't really take him much further without either making him the new Hunter vanguard or him peacing out to return to his old role as Mara's obidient little doggie.

It’s too soon to judge but I do hope it’s not an indicator of future plot that they gave Saladin his time in the spotlight this week to tell us all “torture is justified because once I should’ve shot a little girl in the face.”

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
I guess everyone's tolerance for it will be different, but I thought levelling them up was pretty quick :shrug:
Already got several weapons with all the perks unlocked, just using them in activities, not going to shuro chi or anything.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, I feel like if you dove into Witch Queen with a “I’m gonna become Da Weapon Craftuh!” mindset hoping to have fully unlocked every gun and all perks in the first two weeks I could see being frustrated with it, but the only people I’ve really seen complain about it that aggressively are mega-tryhards who’ve been grinding since launch and seem frustrated that Bungie has… locked their new system behind a grind?

I’m enjoying crafted weapons just fine, I like having long term goals to set for weapons in the future, leveling them up takes time but that feels completely expected and intentional and helps to make it feel more like a work in progress that I am honing and iterating on. I’m enjoying trying to bake weapon crafting into my regular routine and not focusing on it like it’s an endgame activity that demands a lot of attention. My issue seems to be how many perks and advanced perks just don’t seem to work with Glaive, either as intended or at all. If you tell me “this weapon starts healing you after rapid kills” and I kill 10 enemies in 2 seconds with my magic space spear, START FUCKIN HEALING ME. I’m basically holding off on crafting until they patch it and iron out the bugs, because wasting my limited resources on a perk that doesn’t function would be a bummer.

The base Empirical Evidence is legitimately the worst feeling gun in the game right now, it’s recoil feels like it is actively preventing you from getting precision kills. It will be interesting to see how it plays after some levels and new perks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

My issue seems to be how many perks and advanced perks just don’t seem to work with Glaive, either as intended or at all. If you tell me “this weapon starts healing you after rapid kills” and I kill 10 enemies in 2 seconds with my magic space spear, START FUCKIN HEALING ME. I’m basically holding off on crafting until they patch it and iron out the bugs, because wasting my limited resources on a perk that doesn’t function would be a bummer.
To be fair there's also the bigger problem that the material you need to get the enhanced perks is only available from rahool, and doesn't currently seem to have refreshed weekly like it should; and not many people are good / high power enough to grind the high level content that drops them either.

But hard agree on unrelenting - perks should at least have bluetext that appears while crafting glaives saying if a perk triggers on the melee, projectile, or both.

Also patch swords to make light attacks free as well damnit Bungie. ::argh:

Mazerunner posted:

As for Traveler and Savathun's plan:

[...]

The Traveler doesn't know the future, it doesn't know what people will do with the Light. To some extent I'm not even sure it can make plans, because those are essentially, of the Darkness (the excising of the infinite potential ways things could be in favour of the one design most advantageous for the planner). It just kind of... does things as "this is new/interesting".
That was a really good post full of things I hadn't considered, but now I'm just picturing the traveller saying "You wanna know how I got these scars?"

Though it's interesting that in most media order is seen as the 'good guy' and chaos is the 'bad guy', whereas with this reading it's very much the opposite.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 3, 2022

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
If you did Legendary then you're already at power for the matchmade repeatable story missions at 1520, 1550 should be pretty possible if you can get a group together, especially after a week of gaining levels, plus you'll get a pinnacle reward from getting 100k points. The power doesn't seem like the problem, more like not everyone is grinding throne world rep to unlock the missions themselves. Eventually I expect everyone to hit 10 alloys and be complaining about stack sizes once again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The plot of this season and Splicer has really cemented in my mind that the Traveler is a metaphysical parasite that finds a “host” world and then basically dumps out its little sporecloud of ghosts to mutate the local fauna into an army of tiny little zombie wizards that will doggedly and relentlessly protect the big magic corcle that gives them magic laser beams and lets them fly. The Darkness and the Light seem to be two sides of the same paracausal tendency, functioning as a push/pull for energy to be distributed or dissipated as needed, but The Witness & The Traveler are specific entities with motives and agendas that we maybe can’t ever fully comprehend because it’s impossible for our brains to contain multiple dimensions and timelines at once. We won’t ever be able to understand why The Traveler and the Witness are doing what they are doing because they are moving and thinking and existing both in this world as physical entities with magic powers, but also existing in other planes of existence as, like, basically an idea or a theme given shapeless power, either from within or (terrifying to consider) an even more unknowable and shapeless paracausal entity from which both The Traveler and The Witness were derived

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bust Rodd posted:

The plot of this season and Splicer has really cemented in my mind that the Traveler is a metaphysical parasite that finds a “host” world and then basically dumps out its little sporecloud of ghosts to mutate the local fauna into an army of tiny little zombie wizards that will doggedly and relentlessly protect the big magic corcle that gives them magic laser beams and lets them fly. The Darkness and the Light seem to be two sides of the same paracausal tendency, functioning as a push/pull for energy to be distributed or dissipated as needed, but The Witness & The Traveler are specific entities with motives and agendas that we maybe can’t ever fully comprehend because it’s impossible for our brains to contain multiple dimensions and timelines at once. We won’t ever be able to understand why The Traveler and the Witness are doing what they are doing because they are moving and thinking and existing both in this world as physical entities with magic powers, but also existing in other planes of existence as, like, basically an idea or a theme given shapeless power, either from within or (terrifying to consider) an even more unknowable and shapeless paracausal entity from which both The Traveler and The Witness were derived

ghosts are a new thing for Earth- it's gifted Light before, but in different ways that seem to be more... I don't know, as something to study, like in Golden Age humanity, or more... innately spiritual? inwardly focused? like Eliksni splicers or almost like, artistic like the Giftmast mentioned in the Books of Sorrow. Golden Age scientists were somehow able to study the Traveler and learn from it and use that to fuel said Golden Age, all without ghosts and guardians and golden guns and so on

zombie warriors who use the Light to smash stuff is new and a result of Traveler being desperate/backed into a corner

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 3, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
A quick little video comparing the payload speed with the number of guardians on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj5MIG06SNo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM3BhS7IXNk

Azetecross just posted this really useful video for boss DPS with volatile flow, and I am THRILLED to report that Deathbringer actually out damages Gjallorhorn with Volatile Flow, by like over 100,000 damage. Obviously it requires you to jump through hoops, but Lorentz Driver was also doing a fuckload of damage as well.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
As far as weapon crafting goes, I agree at this point it is much too time and resource intensive for the vast majority of people given we are only 10 days into the new season/expansion. I expect this will change quickly though since they are buffing certain drop rates and as more people hit the 1550-1560 light level range.

For leveling a crafted weapon (especially a special or power ammo one) Shuro Chi with a tether hunter seems like the way to go. I got the new shotgun from 0-15 in about 90 minutes last night, and finished the Grand Overture and Deathbringer catalysts at the same time. It was about 1900 kills to hit level 15.

For progressing the non-crafted weapons with red outlines for resource extraction, PsiOps is the way to go as you can do 3 at once and continue to get much better drops in the meantime.

I went to craft my pvp god-roll shotgun and it requires over 4,000 neutral element and 2 ascendant alloys so it's going to take me a while to actually get the mats to finish it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is Shuro-Chi really faster than the loot cave? No resetting required, you just stand in one place and farm infinitely responding thralls and wizards

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bust Rodd posted:

Is Shuro-Chi really faster than the loot cave? No resetting required, you just stand in one place and farm infinitely responding thralls and wizards

I grinded out the Le Monarch and Fourth Horseman catalyst yesterday at the loot cave. I got halfway though the DMT catalyst before my hand told me I needed to stop. Loot cave is not as quick or easy as the thrallway, but the no resetting is nice. I like it better than Suro Chi.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM3BhS7IXNk

Azetecross just posted this really useful video for boss DPS with volatile flow, and I am THRILLED to report that Deathbringer actually out damages Gjallorhorn with Volatile Flow, by like over 100,000 damage. Obviously it requires you to jump through hoops, but Lorentz Driver was also doing a fuckload of damage as well.

Deathbringer requires a boss with no ceiling and a long damage phase because you gotta wait for the orbs to float down.

Templar is kinda unique in that way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it seems like a lot of people were imagining that crafting would let you constantly try out different rolls all the time, when what it turned out to actually be for is deciding on your desired roll of one gun beforehand and then investing a ton of time into making it happen. It doesn't support experimentation and it really doesn't support having more than one good roll of the same gun at the same time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

xzzy posted:

Deathbringer requires a boss with no ceiling and a long damage phase because you gotta wait for the orbs to float down.

Templar is kinda unique in that way.

With the catalyst I feel like they hit max damage really fast, you can see in the video the orbs are only dropping about a meter before hitting the top of Templar’s head, it really doesn’t appear to be the affecting the DPS that much

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I do enjoy the Deathbringer but the easy of use of the Gjal is just too good.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I'd probably do loot cave for a primary weapon and Shuro for Special/Power ammo weapon.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there a place online I can just read all the little lore snippets one can I kick in the game?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

heated game moment posted:

I'd probably do loot cave for a primary weapon and Shuro for Special/Power ammo weapon.

Special weapons I prefer loot cave; if you put on the ‘finishers give special ammo’ then combined with the free super from the engrams you have unlimited ammo

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there a place online I can just read all the little lore snippets one can I kick in the game?

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/ maybe?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

The issue I am running into with the weapon crafting system: I got a really fun random drop for Red Herring -- impact casing, tracking module, lasting impact -- and I'd love to try it out with enhanced perks.

However, I am not so interested in this rocket launcher that I want to use a version of it WITHOUT all those perks, in order to get the better ones.

So I'm just never going to. I have so many other good rocket launchers, and there will be more good rocket launchers in my future.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Thanks!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roctavian posted:

The issue I am running into with the weapon crafting system: I got a really fun random drop for Red Herring -- impact casing, tracking module, lasting impact -- and I'd love to try it out with enhanced perks.

However, I am not so interested in this rocket launcher that I want to use a version of it WITHOUT all those perks, in order to get the better ones.

So I'm just never going to. I have so many other good rocket launchers, and there will be more good rocket launchers in my future.

Yeah, exactly. To make full use of the crafting system, you have to make a resolution like "I want a Red Herring with perks X, Y, and Z", and then start from scratch and after a few hours or days (depending on level of Gamer Brain) you have it. At the same time, no other roll of Red Herring is interesting and if you get one at random you're probably going to ignore it because you're already on the way to the good Red Herring.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I like crafting. Not for using the weapons that can be made, but for feeling much better about destroying a weapon I have a pattern for, instead of just throwing it in the vault and saying to myself "that is a decent roll, I will try it out later" (I don't).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

You can also read anything you picked up in-game on the companion app.

Ishtar is a goddamn treasure and I will be incredibly sad if it ever disappears.

E: what's the best order to read the dreaming city lore in? Specifically I want to know how the awoken became awoken through to the dreaming city being cursed. A lot of it was gated behind content I couldn't do at the time so I don't really know where to start.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 3, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Except the brand new Witch Queen stuff, I just tried that and some of the lore books are still classified

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I never expected to be able to only have literally one gun with every perk to switch between. They never hinted at that and why would they do that? I haven't really used it because my random drops have been Godly. It's not like random drops went away or the craftable guns are even the top tier guns of this season.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't necessarily feel like crafting works differently than promised, I just feel like it's Lame and doesn't do a great job of delivering on its goals. Here's what got me hyped about it back in September

Blackburn: "Crafting is about finally delivering the fantasy that you can make the gun that you've always wanted. And we want you to feel like you went on a journey to get there. Because by the time you're able to make the exact god roll, you will have the ability to make all the versions of that gun that you want. So it's really about a long pursuit with a weapon. And we think if you're willing to spend that amount of time with the gun, we're okay with you being able to craft whatever version you want. a side benefit of having a more deterministic loot system is that players will no longer need to store hundreds of versions of the same gun in their Vault. (Hallelujah.) The upshot should be that if the meta changes in terms of which weapon archetype or perks are good, players will be able to adjust relatively painlessly by crafting a new roll. Of course, with February still a way off, this is all subject to change"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Most of the time when I unlock a new pattern, i've excitedly headed over to the relic to set it up, and then realised after looking at the perks that I've already got a better random roll, and I can't be arsed to grind a bad roll to L20 or whatever just so i can have a .1% increase in range or reload.

I'm not saying it's a total failure because there's a good idea buried in there, and I suspect in a few seasons / patches time it'll have been reworked and we'll all love it. But right now it just doesn't feel like it's worth the time or resource investment.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Most of the time when I unlock a new pattern, i've excitedly headed over to the relic to set it up, and then realised after looking at the perks that I've already got a better random roll, and I can't be arsed to grind a bad roll to L20 or whatever just so i can have a .1% increase in range or reload.

I'm not saying it's a total failure because there's a good idea buried in there, and I suspect in a few seasons / patches time it'll have been reworked and we'll all love it. But right now it just doesn't feel like it's worth the time or resource investment.

Yeah! With one fewer Pain Point I think I'd use crafting a lot more. Ideally I'd like to be able to Upgrade my crafted gun... Without using it, since it sucks and has baby perks. Give my crafted gun +1 level every time I get a random drop of the same gun in the wild or something, I dunno! I just don't want to spend seat time with a Bad Gun

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Let us use Enhancement Cores to level up weapons.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't necessarily feel like crafting works differently than promised, I just feel like it's Lame and doesn't do a great job of delivering on its goals. Here's what got me hyped about it back in September

Blackburn: "Crafting is about finally delivering the fantasy that you can make the gun that you've always wanted. And we want you to feel like you went on a journey to get there. Because by the time you're able to make the exact god roll, you will have the ability to make all the versions of that gun that you want. So it's really about a long pursuit with a weapon. And we think if you're willing to spend that amount of time with the gun, we're okay with you being able to craft whatever version you want. a side benefit of having a more deterministic loot system is that players will no longer need to store hundreds of versions of the same gun in their Vault. (Hallelujah.) The upshot should be that if the meta changes in terms of which weapon archetype or perks are good, players will be able to adjust relatively painlessly by crafting a new roll. Of course, with February still a way off, this is all subject to change"

Everything they said is true? I'm not understanding? I'm sounding like a member of the Bungie defense force but what there isn't in game?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

heated game moment posted:

I did loot cave for my heavies and specials by running finder and a shoot to loot gun. If you accidentally get burdened, you can wait for waves of engrams to explode and working closer to the cave, picking up a stray engram to reset your timer if needed. Once you get close enough to the cave, waves stop spawning and you can wait for the pile of engrams in the cave to explode. This way you can avoid having to drop off piles of like 30 and progressing the encounter. If you run out of visible ammo bricks outside, going in the cave will likely have you running over like ten bricks. Pretty much any add clearing weapon works great, I used osteo striga to level my glaive and Palmyra-B. Switch over to a shoot to loot kinetic/stasis once in a while. Then to level my kinetic/stasis slot I had a 30th solar trace rifle lying around with Shoot to Loot, which made short work of the wizards and whatnot. I can see it sucking without shoot to loot but I think a few weapons this season drop with it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's spot on imo, if you have the pattern for a gun you like, you can just craft it and level it and then eventually you can simply reshape it with the perks you want.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ok, so whatever they did to restructure the PS4 data has worked - it's reduced the 'copying' stage of the patch from just over an hour to about 30 seconds.

E: Bad news, they fixed Night's Chill.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 3, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They also fixed the fynch reputation farm and a couple of other exploitable things

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Find it kind of funny they don't have time to fix wellspring resonance guns, but they do have time to disable deepsight tier 3 chests.

Oh no people getting some extra non powerful guns too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Not the first time and wont be the last time that Bungie quickly nerfs something that benefits the players slightly but takes time to fix something that inhibits the players greatly.