Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Was drawn away for a while. Have the markets in Russia opened yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

"Not suspicious" jesus gently caress

Tells you all you need to know about the boundless cowardice of the UK authorities when it comes to anything related to Russia, Putin, oligarchs, etc

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ethanol posted:

How do you shoot down an iskander? Isn’t that an extremely fast missile?

Is it single stage? Perhaps that is just part of the staging?

The Iskander is a VERY large missile. It's basically a theater level weapon about 250-350m range. It flies hypersonic for much of it's route. There are a couple options for taking one out. It's weakest points are shortly after firing before it reaches full speed and as it reaches it's target. There are a variety of different options for taking them out, the Patriot system for example shoots smaller, faster missiles to destroy it in air. The Phalanx system uses a Vulcan cannon and sensors to track and destroy the missile in a web of lead.

Savvy and skilled pilots have taken then out with guns on their aircraft but it is a VERY hard thing to do and I am not entirely sure it would be possible with modern missiles.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Irrefutable proof of homonazis in Ukraine :v:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Did someone say Econ Posting?!?!?

Leased Russian commercial aircraft getting repo'd
https://twitter.com/Andrew__Roth/status/1499419987047587840?t=EMM3E8PbDo2gXXgcAzB22w&s=19

Huge surcharge on foreign currency purchases now in place
https://twitter.com/JakeCordell/status/1499286867816198145?t=xjWiBkowLu5Ronf5A0gZjg&s=19

Speaking of the central bank!
https://twitter.com/Andrew__Roth/status/1499263470637826054?t=xHoW3bw01QyJfrtbL7RhXw&s=19

Chinese government isn't talking much, but their banks are
https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1499359202648764418?t=GKj0SFT1vRPJIEow-p0e0A&s=19

Edit: link for the last one if you're curious
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-led-asian-infrastructure-investment-bank-freezes-russia-lending-2022-03-03/

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 3, 2022

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

jaete posted:

What the gently caress? You originally said

FYI, Norway, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are also NATO members, not just Poland. I suppose the total length of those borders could be considered "small", but I would disagree with that tbh, I think it's significant and five different countries is significant

I've always assumed by the "border" in this case what people mean is a direct path from Paris/Berlin to Moscow without having to go through unaffiliated or Warsaw Pact countries to get there. While the Baltic states are NATO there's no easy ground path to them to resupply a large border contingent like there is in Poland which has easy logistics connections to other key NATO nations.

Given the Russian proclivity for thumbing their nose at the rules I can't imagine this is going to work very well?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 3, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

It sure seems smart to gather up all your government into the same building together at the same time during a war in a city being bombed.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

jaete posted:

"Not suspicious" jesus gently caress

Tells you all you need to know about the boundless cowardice of the UK authorities when it comes to anything related to Russia, Putin, oligarchs, etc

It's not surprising that they are so coy given that Brexit was brazenly funded by Russia.

Can't step on Putin's money toes too much.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Its Capital Expenditures vs Operational Expenditures. A lot of companies do this with assets, leasing or renting instead of owning.

Governments too. The research vessel I work on is owned by a Norwegian shipping concern via a Liberian subsidiary and leased to NSF. There was a big push to own the replacement vessel (hull is over 40 now, ship getting old) outright, but last I heard momentum was back towards continuing the lease model.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Djarum posted:

Savvy and skilled pilots have taken then out with guns on their aircraft but it is a VERY hard thing to do and I am not entirely sure it would be possible with modern missiles.

That was ace combat not real life.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

If you say so. Good luck.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

CommieGIR posted:

Its Capital Expenditures vs Operational Expenditures. A lot of companies do this with assets, leasing or renting instead of owning.

Very common with all kinds of heavy construction equipment, for example.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Servetus posted:

Until the Moscow stock market reopens after this week they can say the stock numbers are whatever they want. Next week is going to be special though.

I will be surprised if they actually do open. However don't know what actually happens when the market stays closed for an extended period of time in a country that is already sort of financially hosed?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Djarum posted:

How the gently caress does a pilot gun down a missile moving several km/second?? That sounds like it could only happen if you were already shooting and it just happened to fly by

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TheRat posted:

How the gently caress does a pilot gun down a missile moving several km/second?? That sounds like it could only happen if you were already shooting and it just happened to fly by

missiles are not as fast as you think they are

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

TheRat posted:

Let me tell you about a savvy and skilled pilot named the Ghost of Kyiv

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The iskander is that fast.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

how fast is an iskander, out of interest?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crespolini posted:

Its Hypersonic, and flies at low altitude to avoid interception.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

"Unexplained but not suspicious" usually suggests suicide, from what I've seen.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Putin is giving another unhinged speech.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Crespolini posted:

Mach 5.9 per wikipedia. F-16 can go a bit over Mach 2 by comparison.

Also consider how much trouble a stationary CIWS can have hitting missiles that are slower than that. It's like trying to shoot an assault rifle at a formula one car going full speed while you're pedaling a bicycle.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2022

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

mlmp08 posted:

I think you missed the forest for the trees. A bunch of tactical level soldiers blasting on short range radios stuff like “1st squad eat food, 2nd squad has guard shift for the next 4 hours,” is not terribly useful for determining grand operational plans.

But that's not quite what's transmitted on military radio nets, callsigns, reports returns and requests, sitreps, grids, for example if you have multiple frequencies transmitting from the same location it can be identified as a hq vehicle or location, if it's unencrypted even better. This can then be used to create target packs for DF's.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

BoldFace posted:

Putin is giving another unhinged speech.

New thread title?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Crespolini posted:

There is a new hypersonic version.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Crespolini posted:

faster than i thought lol

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Crespolini posted:

The internet says burnout velocity is 2100 m/s or 7560 km/h.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Putin talking right now, accusing Ukraine of using human shields:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There are several variants of Iskander. Early ones are ballistic and go high, newer varients hypersonic and stay relatively low.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vorenus posted:

Is that with or without Red Bull?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Vorenus posted:

Thats uh, double the muzzle velocity of an airplanes autocannon, so uh, not sure how a skilled pilot can manage that killshot (not that you were the one who posted it was a thing)

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

I've always assumed by the "border" in this case what people mean is a direct path from Paris/Berlin to Moscow without having to go through unaffiliated or Warsaw Pact countries to get there. While the Baltic states are NATO there's no easy ground path to them to resupply a large border contingent like there is in Poland which has easy logistics connections to other key NATO nations.

Given the Russian proclivity for thumbing their nose at the rules I can't imagine this is going to work very well?

Apparently, there was some suspicion that she might have done a very quiet protest earlier (apparently Russians opposed to the war have been blacking out their profile pictures on social media, and she appeared in an all-black outfit):

quote:

Elvira Sakhipzadovna Nabiullina, head of the Central Bank of Russia, is famed for sending coded messages through her choice of clothing and brooches.

So when she appeared dressed all in black on Monday to update the financial community on measures to counter the economic crisis induced by Russia's invasion of Ukraine, her meaning was fairly obvious.

Her attire wasn’t just for the purpose of admitting that a large part of the country’s $661bn of foreign exchange reserves were essentially unusable, or to confirm a doubling in official interest rates. Her body language when summoned with other officials to a televised meeting with Putin was scarcely any less revealing.

To say that she looked distinctly uncomfortable is an understatement. Highly regarded in Western financial circles and widely credited with restoring the country to fiscal and monetary health after the humiliations of the Russian debt default, she must be absolutely hating her current predicament. Like many at Russia’s central bank, she will already have spent sleepless nights considering her position.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/03/01/vladimir-putins-central-bank-boss-has-blood-hands/

Not sure the truth of all that, but it's possible that was her intent.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

So are we thinking that missile probably had technical problems rather than being shot down? Seems likely given the shoddy state of their other equipment

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

pippy posted:

Up is down, that is very literally what Russian warships are doing in the Black Sea.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

Some EU news (machine translated as usual):

The last sentence is pretty big, that was a major problem with refugees from the Syrian civil war. They were often stuck in camps and weren't allowed to work, slowly going nuts while the bureaucracy processed their claims.

Europe is pretty cool if you ain't Brown bro

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Alchenar posted:

There are several variants of Iskander. Early ones are ballistic and go high, newer varients hypersonic and stay relatively low.

They also have a new naval one called Zircon that's supposed to be in production right about now but I assume that's been called off. If not, that one goes up to mach 9.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1499429413909368839

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Vorenus posted:

It's like trying to shoot an assault rifle at a formula one car going full speed while you're pedaling a bicycle.
Hold my beer.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

pippy posted:

Lol what a strong man sitting alone in his office.

The human sheild thing was what the bot army messaging was all day yesterday. Who was being used went between Greeks, Indian students, and West African guest workers/students, with Ukrainian citizens coming up sometimes

In other news Zelensky continues to have giant balls

https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1499421103168659462?t=xCuG8uM0J5cDgSdyLNGIXA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Vorenus posted:

drat