Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I don't remember if he says so outright at any point, but Kim's parents ended up on the receiving end of a Communard firing squad, right? That tends to sour people away from utopian ideologies.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The line from the opening of the moralist vision quest is haunting: "Then you haven't lived through real chaos." Kim has, and wants to help people without possibly setting the world on fire.

Then you get the solution to the moralist thought cabinet project and it's the most ghoulish poo poo out of all the ideologies. I love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SexyBlindfold posted:

I don't remember if he says so outright at any point, but Kim's parents ended up on the receiving end of a Communard firing squad, right? That tends to sour people away from utopian ideologies.

he says it explicitly to Joyce, I think it is.

a grad-school buddy was an anti-tech Washington hippie as a teenager. in college she started working with Cambodian refugees and it dawned on her that Pol Pot was coming the closest to making her teenage ideals come true.

one of the things I love about this game is that every choice is bad. that's great!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

christmas boots posted:

Garte exists to protect the Whirling-In-Rags

Garte is a small business owner. Petit-bourgeois through and through.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Garte is management.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Kim is a moralist, but he's an *apolitical* moralist.

Don't say that he's hypocritical
Say that he's... apolitical
The body went up
How does it get down?
"That's our department"
Says this binoclard clown

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Garte made me capital's bitch, but he gives the union special privileges and indirectly supports the production of their shady brew. His corruption makes him palatable.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Orange Devil posted:

Garte is a small business owner. Petit-bourgeois through and through.

Darkness rides.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

The body went up
How does it get down?
"That's our department"

Did not expect a Tom Lehrer riff here

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Animal-Mother posted:

The body went up
How does it get down?
"That's our department"

lmaoooooo incredible

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

call him the kimball, he won't even frown

"so now he remembers," says the binoclard clown

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Animal-Mother posted:

The body went up
How does it get down?
"That's our department"

:vince:

I haven't played this game but once through, but I keep reading this thread for these, holy poo poo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Animal-Mother posted:

The body went up
How does it get down?
"That's our department"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
now do "Poisoning Pétanque in the Park"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

AUTHORITY - Honourable One, you have accumulated a substantial amount of honor points on your life path. You are a man most virtuous.

AUTHORITY - You are on the fast track to becoming one of the rarest, most revered of all police officers -- an honour cop.

AUTHORITY - Yes. Your deeds have spoken for you, Honourable One, but to fully drape one's self in an eternal cloak of honour a ritual must be completed. A "Rite of Honour"...

AUTHORITY - You need to bring the thumb of your right hand -- your sword hand -- to your rectum and stick it in there to form the Arch of Honours.

:thumbsdown:

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I've gone through the game three times, but half the time I go behind a spoiler tag I see something I didn't know. Is there a method to get more obscure info, or is it just a matter of playing way more, different skill combos, etc?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Naylenas posted:

I've gone through the game three times, but half the time I go behind a spoiler tag I see something I didn't know. Is there a method to get more obscure info, or is it just a matter of playing way more, different skill combos, etc?

There are Steam Guides on getting the more rare scenes. They have been adding a bunch of those in last few content patches.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

The body went up
How does it get down?
"That's our department"

Very good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gorn Myson posted:

Completed the game again today. Either I forgot or I only just found it, but one of the characters quoting a communist marching song which is actually just "If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will Be Next" by the Manics put a huge smile on my face. Something about the anachronistic references in this game just gets me good.

When does that happen? A friend loves the manics and I need to show him!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

christmas boots posted:

I think there’s a difference between moralists like Kim who may or may not like the status quo but don’t challenge it, and moralists like the Sunday Friend

beyond the rhetorical posture they've chosen to hide behind, not really no. Kim is well beyond "not challenging it", he's an enforcer for the colonial administration and party member same as the Sunday Friend, he's about as actively involved as his abilities will allow.

Animal-Mother posted:

The body went up
How does it get down?
"That's our department"

:eyepop:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 5, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kim is at the tribunal in the right place. Between the mercs and the people, protecting the people.

He’ll come down on the right side folks because his actions indicate he will.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Kim is at the tribunal in the right place. Between the mercs and the people, protecting the people.

He’ll come down on the right side folks because his actions indicate he will.

IMO Kim's position in the tribunal is more happenstance than anything. He sided with the union because his job was to investigate a hanging and prevent further crimes which meant he was forced to protect the people. Had his job been to protect the interests of Wild Pines (which is what cops do irl), he would have sided with the mercs.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If it were real events yeah, but it’s a narrative that has no possibility of him not being there.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the mercs were always an expendable asset, not a stand-in for the regime. Even the libs and company reps you meet will happily help the cops bust them, so long as they contain the reaction to their rampage so it doesn't become a full-blown revolt. Which they do.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 5, 2022

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

im still thinking about that leaf compactor :smith:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Esprit de corps pings Kim as being on the side of the people I think. And it's one of the few thoughts that don't lie to you.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Kim is a moralist, but he's an *apolitical* moralist. He seems resigned to the big-picture/status-quo stuff, and wants to just do his best to help the people immediately in front of him. This is (imo) the most potent argument of the moralist against armchair communists, who may have grand ideals but doesn't actually do anything to improve the day-to-day material conditions of their fellow man. The Revolution and its aftermath have left him jaded to the claims of extremists, which given the state of Revachol, seems pretty fair.

The Sunday Friend, by contrast, is a *political* moralist, who actively seeks to solidify and expand the power of the moralist state, with all the exploitation and inequality that state supports.

The line from the opening of the moralist vision quest is haunting: "Then you haven't lived through real chaos." Kim has, and wants to help people without possibly setting the world on fire.

"Every school of thought and government has failed in this city — but I love it nonetheless. It belongs to me as much as it belongs to you."

That is one of my favorite Kim lines. It sums up his beliefs and attitude so well.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
At high levels, Volition makes you hyper-sane. When you’re about to get funky, it keeps you normal. It’s a bit of a party-pooper. At low levels, however, you’ll have little Morale.

Without it, you’ll be a profoundly unstable cop, falling apart at the seams as you make irreversible mistakes.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

https://mobile.twitter.com/larsaddams/status/1501710843674697730

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Bother Kim After Hours

He probably won't mind.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1503247606591459329?s=20&t=OTTfYCHJFV0iK-QVsBwCeQ

not really good to joke about, but I immediately thought of disco elysium putting the gun in your own mouth when I saw this, lol

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1505267243088707585

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/AyinePLUR/status/1505710189982400514?t=w4nEH1dSR4Bwq1eHYrePdw&s=19

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

https://twitter.com/AyinePLUR/status/1505725778905862150?s=20&t=7aLsbJ-9wp_fdn30Bn5eNw

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i am ashamed to know that is not NEARLY the worst comic that guy has made. not even top 3.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doc Hawkins posted:

i am ashamed to know that is not NEARLY the worst comic that guy has made. not even top 3.
From what I can tell, it's actually his only good one? The joke is entirely calling Biden a racist old vampire.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Another merch drop is coming this Friday the 25th at 10 AM PST. One of these days I'll be free and have the money to buy something from there.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OK this one is going over my head, is this actually in the game or is this a quote from Lost or something?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

TACD posted:

OK this one is going over my head, is this actually in the game or is this a quote from Lost or something?

TNG

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

and here i thought it was some sort of deathloop reference, kept waiting for harry to drop a colt line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

TACD posted:

given the heavy-duty exposition assault from pages ago from somebody who got something translated from Sacred and Terrible Air in its original estonian, there might be some space-time fuckery related to the Pale which also is hinted in the design work previously posted

edit: it's TNG but also valid