Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
sometimes i read this thread and find i've developed a spontaneous nosebleed and then i look back and it's always hyphz posting something batshit insane that makes no sense for how regular people play RPGs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That was uncalled for

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Is this the right place to vent about my frustrations with restructuring the Invisible Sun TTRPG?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

hyphz posted:

Ultimately the GM role in most games comes down to some form of having, or pretending to have, hidden information. So the question is if you can create an RPG that doesn't require hidden information, which is tricky, because with no hidden information there's a limited ability to discover, and discovery is a key part of the appeal of interacting with fiction.
GM-less games can use player generated information to substitute for the discovery that normally comes from the GM creating the world. So another character can have a secret chosen by the player, and you discover that secret and create drama as a result. It all depends on whether you consider uncovering player created information a satisfying discovery, in the same sense as you would exploring and revealing physical space, or a plot crafted by an NPC, or a shocking lore revelation about the game setting.

Arivia posted:

hyphz posting something batshit insane that makes no sense for how regular people play RPGs
Absolutely not true. "discovery is a key part of the appeal of interacting with fiction" is a completely reasonable assertion to make. hyphz isn't the problem here, you are.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Gray Ghost posted:

Is this the right place to vent about my frustrations with restructuring the Invisible Sun TTRPG?
That sounds legitimately interesting, what are you trying to do and what do you feel needs to be fixed?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gray Ghost posted:

Hell yeah it is.

I think there's a Cypher thread if you would prefer. Or was, at least. I can't find it at the moment; it's not precisely a goon favorite.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mellonbread posted:

GM-less games can use player generated information to substitute for the discovery that normally comes from the GM creating the world. So another character can have a secret chosen by the player, and you discover that secret and create drama as a result. It all depends on whether you consider uncovering player created information a satisfying discovery, in the same sense as you would exploring and revealing physical space, or a plot crafted by an NPC, or a shocking lore revelation about the game setting.

Absolutely not true. "discovery is a key part of the appeal of interacting with fiction" is a completely reasonable assertion to make. hyphz isn't the problem here, you are.

Or oracular tables and playing to find out what happens, like someone already mentioned Ironsworn uses. There’s plenty of interesting discussion to be had, just not with hyphz the black hole.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Then discuss it with the other people in this thread who are talking about it. Like you say, it's an interesting topic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Using oracles instead of a gm with hidden information actually is a pretty good way to spark a sense of discovery, even if it means me and my co-op partner are actually taking the oracle prompt and improvising based on it.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Hostile V posted:

That sounds legitimately interesting, what are you trying to do and what do you feel needs to be fixed?

So, I have been incredibly frustrated with using the four books in the Black Cube for our actual play, particularly with locating rules for play as opposed to GMing resources. So, I’ve been collating the books on a Notion as two separate texts: one for players focused on play, basic setting overview, spells and spell systems, common equipment, and character creation (the “Vislae Handbook”) and one for GMs focused on making NPCs and creatures, interpreting Sooth deck pulls, secret setting info, and additional adjudication ideas.

Where i’m struggling is the sheer number of systems and cruft in play here: in order to make this resource complete, i have to transcribe so much *fluff*, over 900 spells, and a whole host of Warlock invocation-like Secrets.

I kind of want to go over everything in the text once I’m done copying and pasting and take a scalpel to everything and take another crack at all of the magic sub-systems.

It’s just so galling because I read something like Heart: The City Beneath, which is super elegant in its rules and so evocative in its setting and Invisible Sun has a ton of the latter without much of the former.

Edit: For more frame of reference, check out Wapole Languray’s write-up.

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 4, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arivia posted:

sometimes i read this thread and find i've developed a spontaneous nosebleed and then i look back and it's always hyphz posting something batshit insane that makes no sense for how regular people play RPGs

Going to third "that was uncalled for". I have a lot of interest in solo play (not quite GMless, but adjacent), to the point where I made the solo thread. I still haven't managed to make it really click for myself, because "discovery" is the one biggest thing I want out of RPGs and there's little to none of it to be had when you're in control of all the inputs or they're all transparent to you. It's a fundamentally different experience and people who like standard RPGs aren't guaranteed to enjoy that degree of authorial control. I'd reckon hyphz's view is probably the majority view outside the SA bubble.

Just drop the grudge already. It's not funny or cute to anyone but you and it keeps derailing threads until Leper or others have to step in.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CitizenKeen posted:

I adore GMing, Tulip.

yeah, it's a blast

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Going to third "that was uncalled for". I have a lot of interest in solo play (not quite GMless, but adjacent), to the point where I made the solo thread. I still haven't managed to make it really click for myself, because "discovery" is the one biggest thing I want out of RPGs and there's little to none of it to be had when you're in control of all the inputs or they're all transparent to you. It's a fundamentally different experience and people who like standard RPGs aren't guaranteed to enjoy that degree of authorial control. I'd reckon hyphz's view is probably the majority view outside the SA bubble.

It is true that solo/co-op its a very different experience from GMed gaming, though I will say having prior exposure to other games that put more narrative control in player hands does make transitioning to the solo/coop play mindset a bit easier.

Ironsworn in particular clearly has some pbta dna in its bones.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arivia posted:

Or oracular tables and playing to find out what happens, like someone already mentioned Ironsworn uses. There’s plenty of interesting discussion to be had, just not with hyphz the black hole.
Then block him.

Seriously, stop making GBS threads on the dude for merely posting. If you can't do that, and you find yourself unable to manage the sequence of actions to remove his posts from your easy view, you're gonna have to either exercise some restraint or be removed from the conversation.

Yeah, we ask get it - hyphz threads can get lovely and dumb sometimes, but they're way more on-topic and less gross than your weird grudge-posting.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dwarf74 posted:

Then block him.

Seriously, stop making GBS threads on the dude for merely posting. If you can't do that, and you find yourself unable to manage the sequence of actions to remove his posts from your easy view, you're gonna have to either exercise some restraint or be removed from the conversation.

Yeah, we ask get it - hyphz threads can get lovely and dumb sometimes, but they're way more on-topic and less gross than your weird grudge-posting.

Yes please.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Are there any other games with rudimentary AI for their enemies like Emberwind and Summon Skate? I'm really interested to see if any other games have developed something like that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've liked GMing, but I haven't done it in a long time. :smith:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Leraika posted:

Are there any other games with rudimentary AI for their enemies like Emberwind and Summon Skate? I'm really interested to see if any other games have developed something like that.

I've been looking at jamming something like Five Parsecs from Home and Starforged together, so maybe look at some solo wargames for the state of the art for the tech?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

CitizenKeen posted:

I've been looking at jamming something like Five Parsecs from Home and Starforged together, so maybe look at some solo wargames for the state of the art for the tech?

Well, there is at least one guy in the Ironsworn discord who plays Ironsworn but uses Old School Essentials for fights instead of the normal combat mechancis, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I haven't looked at the details of what this person does however.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm Very Much not a wargame person, so I had no idea solo wargames were even a thing.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Leraika posted:

I'm Very Much not a wargame person, so I had no idea solo wargames were even a thing.

You and me both, friend. I've been enjoying Starforged but the combat against myself wasn't really doing it for me, but while I've never really solo-wargamed (or really wargamed), reading through some of the solo wargames, it seems like there's not quite enough story there for me. But what if I could combine the two?!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Gray Ghost posted:

So, I have been incredibly frustrated with using the four books in the Black Cube for our actual play, particularly with locating rules for play as opposed to GMing resources. So, I’ve been collating the books on a Notion as two separate texts: one for players focused on play, basic setting overview, spells and spell systems, common equipment, and character creation (the “Vislae Handbook”) and one for GMs focused on making NPCs and creatures, interpreting Sooth deck pulls, secret setting info, and additional adjudication ideas.

Where i’m struggling is the sheer number of systems and cruft in play here: in order to make this resource complete, i have to transcribe so much *fluff*, over 900 spells, and a whole host of Warlock invocation-like Secrets.

I kind of want to go over everything in the text once I’m done copying and pasting and take a scalpel to everything and take another crack at all of the magic sub-systems.

It’s just so galling because I read something like Heart: The City Beneath, which is super elegant in its rules and so evocative in its setting and Invisible Sun has a ton of the latter without much of the former.

Edit: For more frame of reference, check out Wapole Languray’s write-up.

Yeah, this sounds about right for IS. The book organization is so bizarre and scattered that I suspect it'd definitely need a reorg to be playable, and it's so... much... stuff. (And so little of it matters, but that's another rant.) I'd be curious to hear how this has been working out for your table.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

There is also a person on the Nordic Weasel (creator of Five Parsecs from Home) discord who was creating Stars Without Number factions based on his 5 Parsecs patrons and enemies. In addition, he used the 5 Parsec species list to flesh out aliens in his SWN game.

I don't know if he was doing more than that in terms of crossover but I would imagine there is more room for viable interactions between 5 Parsecs and SWN.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CitizenKeen posted:

I adore GMing, Tulip.

So do I. I prefer it to playing actually.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Mates I will level with you - I want to run a game so hard I might even bust out d&d 5ed. I'm that desperate

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Runa posted:

Using oracles instead of a gm with hidden information actually is a pretty good way to spark a sense of discovery, even if it means me and my co-op partner are actually taking the oracle prompt and improvising based on it.

You could even have a thing where each player is given ownership of one of the setting's big mysteries and the table collaboratively GM anything that falls outside that. So, want to know how the fishing village you've wandered into react to a bunch of adventurers? The whole group agree on what seems reasonable. Turns out the mayor's a fae? Eric steps in and weaves it into the ongoing fae plotline he has planned.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Whybird posted:

You could even have a thing where each player is given ownership of one of the setting's big mysteries and the table collaboratively GM anything that falls outside that. So, want to know how the fishing village you've wandered into react to a bunch of adventurers? The whole group agree on what seems reasonable. Turns out the mayor's a fae? Eric steps in and weaves it into the ongoing fae plotline he has planned.

I think part of the problem with this is that, at least to me, a good mystery is somewhat telegraphed ahead of time, letting players/readers pick up that something is off and maybe guess at what the secret is.

If you've got multiple storytellers/setting builders, signalling like that has an easy time getting muddled, buried or interrupted.

Leraika posted:

I've been toying a bit with it for a homebrew, but what I always get stuck on is finding an AI that's actually still challenging for the players and requires them to think, and which doesn't just get stuck in a corner. Plus at some point it also only works for specific enemies or situations where you can sort of justify their not being particularly reactive, but just following a script.

Like, a sufficiently complex script gets around a lot of those issues, but at some point a super-complex script just turns into more work than getting a GM to run the enemy.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Whybird posted:

The whole group agree on what seems reasonable. Turns out the mayor's a fae? Eric steps in and weaves it into the ongoing fae plotline he has planned.

I think a kingdom has something like this?

The issue here I guess is that if Eric’s the guy who’s really into fae mythology, then his role is now to add fae to the game for people who are less into it than him. That’s a responsibility that a GM takes but that not everybody might want to, since it gets into social management beyond just plotting and exploring.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

hyphz posted:

The issue here I guess is that if Eric’s the guy who’s really into fae mythology, then his role is now to add fae to the game for people who are less into it than him. That’s a responsibility that a GM takes but that not everybody might want to, since it gets into social management beyond just plotting and exploring.

On one hand, this is kind of how Command Lore works in Fellowship so I know this works in moderation. Even when your Fellowship game has a cohesive aesthetic, I doubt other people are going to be as into the people you created to play as you are.

On the other hand, I don't know it works when you need to do that for everything. At least, not when everyone is simultaneously thinking as a single character and someone planning out a complete story arc. (Then again, writing this made me realize Whybird's suggestion is functionally similar to just running a game with a rotating GM, so maybe I'm overthinking it.)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Part of the reason I buy and write so many random tables is that I like that aspect of discovery. Not knowing what is coming next, even as the GM, is a lot of fun for me. I have tons of tables that I keep open depending on the game and I use them constantly. Getting really weird results and trying to quickly figure out how they work is really great, especially for lighter games where I don't have to worry about lots of stats or mechanical depth.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hyphz posted:

It's not social management, it's putting things together and finding hooks to get people interested in the things that the others come up with. My Biblefight group had a great time going to the fairy realm and seeing all kinds of weird stuff, or fighting risen Fransisco Franco, or dealing with Evil British Supervillains, despite those being hooks for specific characters, because they had fun relating their characters to whoever's plot was going on at the time. The whole fun of an RPG is collaborative authorship (among other things) and editing each other's work and coming up with fun stuff and how to put it together.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

also because beating the poo poo out of a freshly resurrected Francisco Franco/the toxic masculinity fairy/evil and classist british wizards with the power of anime is always fun and morally correct

Leraika fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 4, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Mates I will level with you - I want to run a game so hard I might even bust out d&d 5ed. I'm that desperate
If you close your eyes and pretend it's an OSR game, it'll work out.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Siivola posted:

If you close your eyes and pretend it's an OSR game, it'll work out.

What OSR game would you recommend for "d&d" fix? I do have Godbound(as far as osr goes) and Soulbound (as far as high fantasy goes)with are both good games, but recently I have been watching a lot of black dice society and similar actual plays, so would like to see what my options are in that corner.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I couldn't tell you. I've been thinking of getting either Old School Essentials or Whitehack, but my group already plays 5E, we'll be doing Pathfinder soon, and I'm not really interested in teaching them yet another D&D to fight the same orcs in.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Siivola posted:

I couldn't tell you. I've been thinking of getting either Old School Essentials or Whitehack, but my group already plays 5E, we'll be doing Pathfinder soon, and I'm not really interested in teaching them yet another D&D to fight the same orcs in.

Five Torches Deep is supposed to be the "OSR for people who already do 5E" system. I'm not sure how well it works in that regard, but the PDF looks spiffy.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Point of order it could be some kind of 4ed derivative, since I think it is way better game than 5e and my players are already familiar with it.

Or as alternative - give me your fantasy go to games.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Five Torches Deep is supposed to be the "OSR for people who already do 5E" system. I'm not sure how well it works in that regard, but the PDF looks spiffy.
5E's already "AD&D 2 but not really", I don't really see the point. Like yeah it's a supplement that exists I guess but you can also simply run the dungeon as written. If it's a retro dungeon, surely it will have that retro funk regardless?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Point of order it could be some kind of 4ed derivative, since I think it is way better game than 5e and my players are already familiar with it.

Or as alternative - give me your fantasy go to games.

Fellowship, Ryuutama, Lancer with heavy refluffing, Emberwind is the purest 4e you'll probably get unless you want to reskin Lancer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's just kind of boring? I read it and I can't really remember a single thing about it. I just feel like if you want a stripped-down, low-level D&D, there were already a bunch of OSR options that would be easy-peasy for anyone who's only played 5e.