Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 15, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 15, 1919

Cat Tales February 24, 1925

Oaky Doaks August 28, 1936

Mopsy November 5, 1937

Up Front January 18, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 13, 1952

Those Were the Days March 19, 1959

Wee Pals May 20, 1966

Dogbert January 12, 1967

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Weembles posted:

You don't need a lawyer for any of that stuff. An hour on the Internet will give you enough boilerplate to send all sorts of legal threats to people and even file complaints in court. You *ought* to get a lawyer if you don't want to make a fool of yourself, of course.

I don't think Belluso was serious about actually taking it to court, though. The plot seems to be implying that he just wanted to pressure Rex into settling out of court and just brought in the actor to apply a little extra pressure when he thought he had the upper hand.

Welp, I genuinely didn't know that you didn't need a lawyer to sue someone. I was going to say that if he was going to spend money anyway he might as well hire an actual lawyer, but I guess he didn't end up paying the guy he pretended to be a lawyer, which a real lawyer wouldn't have let him get away with. It's still an incredibly stupid plan because, well, of what just happened. The guy didn't get paid and so he confessed that he wasn't a lawyer.

I do think you're right that Belluso's plan was to just hope that Rex would be scared of the lawsuit and settle, but everything about his plan is still incredibly stupid. I guess at best you can assume that he didn't expect Rex to countersue, he just thought Rex would go "Nope" and he'd go "Aw shucks, guess it didn't work" and that would be that. Again, if Belluso is a competent con man (and maybe he isn't, but if he isn't the comic shouldn't have loving treated him as a serious threat) he should have had a backup plan or at least left room for an unexpected response from Rex.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Bound and Gagged

My only regret is that I have ... boneitis!

Aw gently caress I thought I recognized this art style and yep, it's Dana Summers. I guess we can add another name to the list of "Shithead chud political cartoonist with a daily comic strip side gig" alongside Mike Lester and Gary McCoy.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Slammy posted:

So It Seems May 13, 1952

The ads on the back of the comics are great. "Do you smell BAD, Podner?"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

The ads on the back of the comics are great. "Do you smell BAD, Podner?"
HEY MAC! BE THE ENVY OF YOUR GANG, SURPRISE YOUR FRIENDS WITH A LIVE HAND GRENADE!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 25, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 14-15, 1990)

No Blind Alley today.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Next is Q-Rais' Mokke's Calamity, a short (we'll be done in a week) quarantine project, that you could probably subtitle "Quarantine Depression Comix":

gently caress yeah......Mokke owns

Potsticker posted:

When I went to tokyo I asked a friend who had family there what's the one thing that I should know or watch out for that I wasn't going to find out from travel guides or whatever and she told me "Don't order the chicken." Which I thought was kind of weird at the time but after two weeks in Japan I was really hungry for some good chicken and I eat plenty of food at japanese restaurants in california that have chicken and I want to tell you I've never eaten anything from a restaurant anywhere that tasted so bad as what I got.

well!!! what did you have

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

riderchop posted:

well!!! what did you have

The chicken was disgusting. It was weirdly rubbery and tasted like it had been cooked to the point where it had only the hint of it's normal flavor and then soaked in cold soy sauce for a week. I tried all sorts of different food while I was there and it was all fantastic otherwise.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oh, it's Stef.

But also, yeah, Puddles is Luann's dog, sure, but that's what you always say when you get your kid a dog. He's really the family dog. And the family seems remarkably unconcerned that the dog they've been caring for since the 80's has run off and gotten picked up by some stranger.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Welp, I genuinely didn't know that you didn't need a lawyer to sue someone. I was going to say that if he was going to spend money anyway he might as well hire an actual lawyer, but I guess he didn't end up paying the guy he pretended to be a lawyer, which a real lawyer wouldn't have let him get away with. It's still an incredibly stupid plan because, well, of what just happened. The guy didn't get paid and so he confessed that he wasn't a lawyer.

I do think you're right that Belluso's plan was to just hope that Rex would be scared of the lawsuit and settle, but everything about his plan is still incredibly stupid. I guess at best you can assume that he didn't expect Rex to countersue, he just thought Rex would go "Nope" and he'd go "Aw shucks, guess it didn't work" and that would be that. Again, if Belluso is a competent con man (and maybe he isn't, but if he isn't the comic shouldn't have loving treated him as a serious threat) he should have had a backup plan or at least left room for an unexpected response from Rex.

Every antagonist in Rex has a backup plan and they all have the same one: shout "feet don't fail me now!" and exit by the nearest door (or window as Renee Belluso literally did in his first plot in the strip.)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Slammy posted:

So It Seems May 13, 1952

And, in the vein of that first panel, in today's Blueberry: Boudini is not a very good magician, or ...ah, you probably should have shot him, Pearl, or Say what you want about Trevor - his hideouts are picturesque!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Maybe it's just me but I think people might be put off by the idea of boiling it.
Yeah, I figured out that they meant tenderloins but still raised an eyebrow, since boiling chicken is usually associated with extremely sad cooking. (although in this case it ends up getting shredded, so it might not matter much. Maybe.)

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

You know a joke's good when you can tell what it is despite the scan exploding.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Oh i wanted to reply to the person who asked why Rae is just doing this if the comic is just them reciting Little Women

At some point some anime bullshit is going to happen like how last year it turned into JoJo's, so i'm along for the ride

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 4, 2022

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Okay Holbrook, that mouse is a real gently caress machine. We get it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

Okay Holbrook, that mouse is a real gently caress machine. We get it.

Look this guy really loves his CHARACTER CREATED JUST FOR THIS STORYLINE TO gently caress THE SNAKE

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Christ. I don't know what's worse, Holbrook's mouse sex fantasy or Lynn Johnston's secondary school slut-shaming saga.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Christ. I don't know what's worse, Holbrook's mouse sex fantasy or Lynn Johnston's secondary school slut-shaming saga.

I'm gonna vote for bad parenting as being worse. Being a weirdo by yourself? Not so bad. loving up your kids? Guillotine.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: scientific fraud (February 20-26, 2006)

I just wanna point out that there have already been clones in this setting. For years now. Lindesfarne's stepbrother's girlfriend's stepsister has been cloned, and the clone's still around (even though she moved to New Zealand with her adoptive parents).

Seriously, they're right there. It's not like this is groundbreaking.

Modern Kevin & Kell

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Holbrooke: Forked for her pleasure. :wink:

Literally anyone else here reading this stuff: :catbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman
The golden claw is in Bleak Falls Barrow, just follow the questmarker you pair of idiots.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

60+ years of comics authors not understanding how income tax works.

Haifisch posted:

I figure these are basically an excuse for the artist to take however long sorta-off while also being a Little Women nerd, but I'd rather have her take actual time off and have however long of reruns instead of..."it's just Little Women but the Rae the Doe cast is saying the dialogue"? What is this and why is this? (I know she did this a year or two ago too but it's going to get annoying if it turns into a yearly thing)
Going to get annoying? It was annoying from the start.

riderchop posted:

At some point some anime bullshit is going to happen like how last year it turned into JoJo's, so i'm along for the ride
I didn't even know that happened because I'd already stopped reading it before then. And I doubt I'd have found it worthwhile if I had. It comes across as extremely self-indulgent and a waste of the audience's time.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Bound and Gagged
And the bad news is that he's at a chiropractor, which is a waste of time and money at best.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 14, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 14, 2000)

Garfield Classic (April 14, 1990)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Aw gently caress I thought I recognized this art style and yep, it's Dana Summers. I guess we can add another name to the list of "Shithead chud political cartoonist with a daily comic strip side gig" alongside Mike Lester and Gary McCoy.

And Kelley, of course.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/3/02

Brenda Starr 4/12-14/48

Smokey Stover 7/14/46

Everyday Movies 11/25/34

"Sure, them'll stay in all week -- if you don't comb your hair or take a hot bath."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Tiggum posted:

60+ years of comics authors not understanding how income tax works.

I suspect a lot of them do understand and are trying to sow misinformation, but either way it's always annoying to see.

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 29, 1950)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn the faces in Val are so amazing. Look at that last panel. Val knows bullshit but he is interested too.

And add me to the list of people who don't get why Rae the Doe is amazing. I mean there are some cute strips but this right now feels like the poo poo that was Jane's World when the self-insert was tossed in some movie. Last Starfighter, I think?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

And add me to the list of people who don't get why Rae the Doe is amazing. I mean there are some cute strips but this right now feels like the poo poo that was Jane's World when the self-insert was tossed in some movie. Last Starfighter, I think?
I don't know about amazing, but I normally like it ok. It's just that having the characters recite Little Women doesn't seem to have any value other than allowing the author to be lazy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True March 15, 1919

https://www.101soundboards.com/sounds/49101-what

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nu Nancy and Rae the Doe both veer into self-indulgent walls of text that I just skip when they get like that

Sometimes even Sally Forth

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

God this fuckin sucks.

These, however, got a laugh out of me. Especially the last one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah, I like Guindon too!

Jucika "70 - Jucika at the Zoo"

"71 - Jucika's Sunday Lunch"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Goddamn the faces in Val are so amazing. Look at that last panel. Val knows bullshit but he is interested too.

I just feel for poor Arf.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

This means war, Sputter

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I'm glad the mouse saved that mannequin from being punched.

Selachian posted:

And Kelley, of course.

I purposely did not put Kelley on the list because he can't even be bothered to draw the strip, he has someone else do it for him. It's no effort to just say "Draw Dustin getting poo poo on by his hateful family" so he shouldn't get credit for it.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "70 - Jucika at the Zoo"

I love that lion's face.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: scientific fraud (February 25, 2006)

I missed this earlier but I wanted to say something about it. I don't know where this is going, but so far it looks like another example of the protagonist-centered morality Holbrook tends to like. Instead of exposing this guy and getting his fraudulent papers retracted, she seems to be holding it over him to advance her own career.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P